Posted at 12:12 PM ET, 02/17/2011

Talkin' Terps: Best-case, worst-case for next season?

By Matt Bonesteel

Good afternoon.

Now that Randy Edsall has filled out his coaching staff -- promoting Todd Bradford to defensive coordinator and hiring Keith Dudzinski away from Massachusetts to coach the team's inside linebackers -- let's start looking ahead to next season. I'm curious as to what you see as a best-case, worst-case scenario for next season.

For example:

Best case: Danny O'Brien continues to develop into one of the nation's top quarterbacks, the well-seasoned offensive line keeps O'Brien's jersey clean and opens holes for Davin Meggett and D.J. Adams and the defense adapts well to Bradford's schemes. Maryland beats Miami and West Virginia to open the season and uses that momentum to seriously contend for the ACC title.

Worst case: No one steps up to replace departed wideouts Torrey Smith and Adrian Cannon, and O'Brien's progress stagnates or (worse) he gets hurt early in the season. The Terrapins falter in one or both of their first two home games, and attendance suffers the rest of the season. Maryland avoids the Military Bowl, but only after an intense lobbying campaign.

On a somewhat-related note, Maryland punter Travis Baltz, defensive lineman A.J. Francis, and offensive linemen Bennett Fulper and Paul Pinegar were named to the academic all-ACC team. Congratulations to them.

By Matt Bonesteel  | February 17, 2011; 12:12 PM ET
Categories:  Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Randy Shannon, Larry Johnson rejections provide opposing recruiters ammunition against Terps
Next: For one game, Terps shine from the line

Comments

-----------------------------------------

Well, congrats to A.J. Francis anyway. The rest of the guys you mentioned...well they are all white. so we know their academic achievement doesn't really matter to Kevin Anderson.

"In 2007...I believe...Randy Edsall had the highest graduation rate...amongst African Americans...from state schools...that played in a bowl game...That's a tremendous feat ladies and gentlemen" -Kevin Anderson

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The best case is that there's a huge carry-over from last season's success under Fridge, and Edsall doesn't tweak too many things or ruffle too many feathers. Kenny Tate leads a defense that is in the top 20 nationally, and Tony Logan becomes the next Jermaine Lewis. DOB becomes the ACC POY and establishes himself as a 2012 Heisman candidate. The Terps get through the regular season with just 1 loss and an ACC Championship/Orange Bowl berth. I don't think this senario is too far fetched, but does assume Edsall is able to squeeze as much talent or more out of these kids than Fridge got.

Worst case is that Edsall loses the locker room, and the experienced kids decide not to play for him. The seniors spend their time trying to accumulate highlights instead of playing together, and a rift forms on the team. DOB has trouble adapting to the new offense, and the QB carrousel begins with Robinson, CJ Brown, and Tyler Smith all taking turns under center with mixed results. An 0-2 start to the season puts the team into a hole that they're never able to dig out of, and Edsall will spend the rest of his 3 years at Maryland trying to win the team back. A 4-8 or 3-9 season is not out of the question, which I guess for Kevin Anderson is a good thing since he won't need to worry about getting shafted by bowl selection committees.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 17, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

There's apparently no way to stop Barno's racially insulting remarks. It just never stops with this guy.

If Edsall achieved the highest graduation rate among African-Americans among all the teams playing in bowl games, it does not follow that he doesn't care whether whites graduate or not. That's a flaw in logic. Barno, please leave race out of it. I know it is all anonymous, no one can stop you, and you can get away with it all you like. But it is not fair or civil, and this is a sports blog.

Posted by: EdDC | February 17, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Maryland has a tough schedule next year. Worst case scenario is losing record and no bowl.

Likely wins (4) - Towson, Temple, Wake, UVA

Likely losses (4) - Miami, Clemson, GT, FSU

Toss-up (4) - WVU, NC State, BC, Notre Dame

Posted by: ebitda | February 17, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

EdDC, it never stops with you and your ignorant comments about racial issues. I know this is hard for you to understand, but please imagine, just for a minute, if Debbie Yow had made the above comment about how happy she was that her new coach once had the highest graduation rate among white players. Imagine if she opened up her talking points at the new coach's introductory press conference that way. Just picture that, and the uproar it would have caused.

Kevin Anderson made a very, very, very silly comment and deserves to be mocked for it.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

with no changes the expectation for next year would have been 10 win minimum. If you bring in change then you're saying that a 10 win season isn't good enough. Therefore regardless of best case/worst case, if they don't win the ACC then fire the whole coaching staff because they failed to meet expectations.

Posted by: mcmelton | February 17, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey, does anybody know what race Kevin Anderson is?

Lord, wonder how many days can go by without certain posters bringing up race.

And spare us the "mature people can talk about race, blah blah blah" because at this point, it is brought up every week and it's getting old.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 17, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2011 1:28 PM
============

Should we than still mock the hell out of you for all your 2009 Redskins talk? You remember some of those posts right?

C'mon give it a rest.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 17, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

What??? someone disagrees with Barnie??? according to him, he knows all about all i.e. Skins, terps, political issues, racial issues...Barnie for President!!!! haha,,,you gotta love the little guy :)

Posted by: cm88 | February 17, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

In America, we have had, and still have, lopsided educational disparities. The largest predictor of a student's educational progress is the socioeconomic standing of the parents, regardless of race. What is the household income? Are both parents in the household? The second biggest predictor is the socioeconomic standing of a community, regardless of race. Low-income families and communities, regardless of race, are blown apart by factors you and I cannot begin to imagine. People do succeed despite the barriers, but the poorer the family and community, the longer are the odds. Of course an African-American student from a wealthy family will have as much chance of success as will a kid of any other race.

Education is funded by counties, and the more affluent the county, the more educational funding a county has to work with. This is true regardless of race. But of course, one race lives in more affluent counties than do others. Hence, the disparities.

If Edsall achieved a high graduation rate among African-Americans, that means something to a lot of people. It means he helps young people overcome barriers and beat the odds. That's a good thing.

Anyway, I would prefer that you just leave race out of it altogether, especially on a sports blog. OK? Then I won't respond. Whites will continue to do just fine without your constant advocacy. I am not going to respond further to this.

Posted by: EdDC | February 17, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

EdDC, I agree with just about everything you just wrote. I have no problem with a public university considering socioeconomic factors. That's how you help truly disadvantaged people. But a school shouldn't assume that just because you are black, you are poor, and just because you are white, you are rich. That's where their well-intentioned practices go wrong. And that's the issue most of us who are for a colorblind approach instead of race-based policies take.

Finally something we can agree on.

And Poop, I will continue to hammer home my belief that Anderson was hired primarily because of his skin color. I think MD alum deserve to know this, since the school tries very hard to keep these things secret. And the media plays along, never under any circumstances asking the tough questions about their race-based hiring practices.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2011 2:11 PM |
-------

Okay fine, but stop trying to present your OPINION as if it is FACT.

That's straight out of the O'Reilly/Beck/Hannity/Olbermann/etc. playbook.

As for UMD alum I bet the majority couldn't care less. All they want are winning programs.

And if the "media" isn't doing the job, you could start your own UMD-watchdog blog and ask all the hard-hitting questions you want and than report back your findings.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 17, 2011 2:29 PM | Report abuse

This is a total and complete waste of time. Why don't we do best case/worst case on how this basketball season ends? Now that is ugly.

Posted by: petecard | February 17, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I want my blog back

Posted by: fushezzi | February 17, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Talk to your boy fush

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 17, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Woah, woah, woah...Poopy, did you just throw Olbermann in with those guys?

I'm impressed (seriously)

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I dont enter the race vortex.

Im shooting for the Peach Bowl next year. I will try and go too. I think FSU is going to be real good next year, and I fear they will return to a dominant Top 10 team with Jimbo

Hoops, I think the NIT is open us. Sucks. But I like next years team if Jordan sticks around

Posted by: jpfterps | February 17, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I kinda get it, JPF is the HGR to my inner Barno.

KA has bungled quite a few things with the firing of RF and post-firing. However, I plan on purchasing season tickets next year based on the established talent on the team. But in the grand scheme of things, the communications piece is a nit, and the actual on-field results will be telling. I predict they win the ACCCG. The talent is there, and often times, the new guy is the shock to the system that raises it to the next level. Think RF circa 2001. And it might be good enough for two or even three years.

However, to sustain it, gotta get the kids that are going to win games for you and to do that, you gotta let the kids wear their tats and hats. That will be as much as a turn-off to recruits than anything said about the coaches who did not come to MD.

think about it, you are the next Adrian Cannon, or Haroon Brown, or Erin Henderson and the school is saying you gotta wear what we tell you to cover up some ink? Notice I'm not mentioning front-tier MD stars? Because the Terps need MANY good players to compete, and I believe that many players will opt to play elsewhere rather than cover up their tats.

discussing race when not face to face is always a losing proposition, one that I learned the hard way in much younger days.

Posted by: Duke-Rulz-1995 | February 17, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

It would be pretty hard not to win 8 games with the talent on hand. Firstly, we'll have the best QB in the ACC next year. We have 4 out of 5 starters back on the O-Line (5 if you include Gilbert). We have a solid backfield in Meggett and a future star in Adams. Dorsey and Boykins looked strong at WR (although the loss of Torrey hurts). But, you also have a beast coming up in Coxson, who transferred from Florida. On D, we have 3 out of four starters coming back on the line. We lose two LB's in Wuijak and Moten who were damn good, but I really like Mackall at MLB and Drakeford had the most TFL's on the team. In the secondary, you have to replace Perez but both Franklin and Robinson looked solid. Biggest loss besides Torrey will be Baltz, who saved us a lot the past year. All that said, I would hope for at least an appearance in the ACCCG. As I've stated numerous times, I think we would've gotten there with Ralph next year. So, that's where I'm expecting to be next year. Especially because of the whole "Good to great" rationale for firing Ralph.

Posted by: aviscardo | February 17, 2011 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Boys,boys,boys,will it ever end? One would have to assume from this blogs info set that most,if not all of you are either UM alums or related to one(me it's,my wife,I was from the poor disaffected neighborhoods mentioned & white,well at 50 probably more pasty or gray but that's another discussion,ok back to topic)do why the tit for tat back & forth over the ridiculously stupid comment by Anderson? Everyone seems to agree it was an a$$ burp out of Andersons mouth,does it accurately describe his inner thoughts--perhaps,is it just simply a stupid comment --more likely,so how about we acknowledge it--DONE-- and move on--NOT DONE.Ok again back to topic,because a person forcefully expounds on his views & beliefs it DOES NOT mean they necessarily are trying to portray them as FACT, so let that dead dog lie as well. Amazingly many jumped on the
"That's straight out of the O'Reilly/Beck/Hannity/Olbermann/etc. playbook, line from Mr.Poop,then once stating they agree,quickly use said quoted personalities rhetorical BS to make their argument,point,or "diss". Is anyone starting to see a pattern here? So how about this next post instead of simply focusing on BS,rhetoric,& stated opinions you actually comment on the question or focus point of the blog posting. This one's was Best case/Worst case. Best case,the team stays healthy,the 2nd year guys improve,coach improves his defense,we get some youth production and if that occurs the team will likely make the ACC Championship game and THEN we get to our real best case/worst case, where best--we go Orange -- and worse we go Peach or Gator or whatever.Real Worst case is the "O" line gets hit with injuries like last year and no young-ins fill in,and our veteran LB's get hurt,that would be a real worst case,you know why because it would effect the kids the most and not a bunch of armchair head couches,GM's & AD's who frankly I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about. How about you care about what these kids go through,you know the one's that work their butt's off to entertain us and make UM MONEY.I'm out.

Posted by: mfowler1 | February 17, 2011 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Dukesux-

More like you are the art garfunkel to my inner Paul Simon. Marlon Jackson to my inner Michael or the other guy from wham to George Michael don't work for this example although the fact that you know your shoe size in women's shoes might make the latter two examples work better for you.

I am squarely in Aviscardo's camp. Good to great when we were squarely on the cusp of greatness when the parrot crap hit the fan (1995 has one of those obnoxious birds in his kitchen, it's only a matter of time...). Regardless of HOW these changes went down, the expectations for the program, given the proven talent on the roster, should be very high. The ACCCG is my expectation, with a minimum of eleven wins. As much as I don't like the changes, and as much as I loathe the treatment of RF, there is no logical reason for me to expect anything less. There is nothing that any of us can do to undo what has happened. But I see no reason to not expect excellence from next year's team.

If we drop a few early, then we should call for RE's or KA's head. But in the meantime, I expect that we end next season ranked in the top 15.

Ok, you are merely a pharaoh to my Sam the sham, a four season to my Frankie Valli, a Miracle to my Smokey Robinson.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 17, 2011 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Barno,
How many times have you pulled that quote out? C'mon man, you truly are knowledgable about Maryland athletics but you are beating a dead horse, here.

Posted by: break20 | February 17, 2011 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Barno:

Your evidence of Anderson being an affirmative action hire (in a pejorative sense) is based on what evidence? Is the evidence simply that he's black? Because that's how you come across, and that's why you have people calling you a racist (for the record, I know you are not). You know what affirmative action is (equally qualified candidates, preference given if a candidate comes from a protected class). If you want to argue affirmative action is a quota system, then that's a different story.

Specifically about the Anderson hire, do you know the applicant pool from which he was hired? Do you know which candidates were interviewed? Do you know those candidates' qualifications? Do you know how well they interviewed?

You make it out like Anderson wasn't at all qualified. He was the AD at the US Military Academy for 6 years. Prior to his AD position at Army, he was the Associate AD at Oregon St. He also spent 5 years in the athletic department at UC Berkeley.

Was he an affirmative action hire at all of those places, too? What other qualifications did he need?

Did his race have anything to do with his hire? Who knows. Maybe he was the most qualified candidate applying for the job. If you have some reliable information suggesting he wasn't qualified or that other more qualified candidates applied, please do share. I don't know if a FOIA request needs to be filed, but maybe you have information on the matter. If not, you're simply attributing cause and effect without much more evidence than you own predisposition against affirmative action in general.

Looking at his performance now and retrospectively attributing his hire to a case of affirmative action, and you seem to use the phrase 'affirmative action hire' as a moniker for 'quota', is intellectually dishonest. Would you be calling him an affirmative action hire had he done a good job? Or is this only in light of his terrible performance?

That's why people are getting upset with what you're saying. And now I feel like I have to take a shower to wash the filth off of me for having to even appear like a Kevin Anderson supporter. He's performed terribly in his job, regardless of his race. That much we can all agree on.

Posted by: WheelsRI | February 18, 2011 12:22 AM | Report abuse

"If not, you're simply attributing cause and effect without much more evidence than you own predisposition against ..........."
==============
Posted by: WheelsRI | February 18, 2011 12:22 AM

Yeah, that kinda seems to happen alot with him in general.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 18, 2011 2:56 AM | Report abuse

@WheelsRI, Very good post except for your last observation. We can NOT ALL agree that KA has performed terribly. I am glad he dealt with the RF situation the way he did and fault him only for announcing earlier that the coach would be back. I wanted Leach to get the job, but I wasn't in the interview room and neither was anyone else on this site. Leach's name was leaked early and the fact that KA admitted he was a candidate was no an issue for me. I personally think that Edsall has acquitted himself quite well since becoming HC. I think he has done an excellent job building his coaching staff. I don't in any way hold KA responsible for the Brown departure or the failure to land Randy Shannon. Now it's fine for those of you who disagree to take exception to my opinion on this. But one observation you might make is that perhaps I sound like Barno defending GW. The difference is that we can't measure the results of Anderson's performance in wins and losses. You can pick the process apart all that you want. But Anderson has stepped up and set the bar at "greatness." For me that's the same as the famous line... "stop, you had me at hello!"

Posted by: petecard | February 18, 2011 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Huge,

Loved the Wham! analogy. The "other guy" from Wham! is Andrew Ridgely. I am truly sorry that I know that off the top of my head. I am "Rain Man" when it comes to useless music trivia from the '80's.

Pete,

Great Post.

BTW, in case you weren't paying attention on testudotimes, Desmond Hubert is most likely going to UNC instead of MD because UNC did not get their primary target (AZ did). But the German kid from Wisconsin is visiting this weekend and will be at the NC ST game to watch GV's jersey get raised to the rafters. This kid, combined with Nick Faust and Gibbs, will be a VERY good recruiting class.

This year, as we suspected, Cliff Tucker and Adrian Bowie continued their careers as role players who did not step up as team leaders. Unexpectedly, Sean Mosley has actually regressed. Stogs and Howard look a lot like Hayes and GV, production-wise. The next 2 years (after this year) will be top-25 teams and in the NCAA tourney.

Posted by: larry31 | February 18, 2011 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Are we really talking about next year? This season isn't over!

Posted by: break20 | February 20, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh my bad, I thought we we're talking basketball, isn't quite even Spring Football season.

Posted by: break20 | February 20, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse