Posted at 12:23 PM ET, 02/ 1/2011

Talkin' Terps: Best Maryland-Duke game in College Park?

By Matt Bonesteel

It's Maryland-Duke Eve. Today's question is simple: Which Maryland-Duke game in College Park was most memorable?

Recent Results

March 3, 2010: Maryland, 79-72

Feb. 25, 2009: Duke, 78-67

Jan. 27, 2008: Duke, 93-84

Feb. 11, 2007: Maryland, 72-60 (Maryland goes on 29-4 run and never looks back)

Feb. 11, 2006: Duke, 96-88 (Gary Williams is honored before the game, but the crowd leaves early as J.J. Redick scores 35 points and Shelden Williams has 26 points, 13 rebounds and 7 blocks)

Feb. 12, 2005: Maryland 99, Duke 92 (OT) (Six Terps score in double figures, five Duke players foul out, the Blue Devils miss all nine shots in overtime, Maryland earns third straight win over Duke)

Jan. 21, 2004: Duke, 68-60 (Terps whittle a 14-point deficit to three but can't get over the hump).

Jan. 18, 2003: Maryland, 87-72 (Maryland outscores Duke, 50-29, in the second half and hands the top-ranked Blue Devils their first loss of the season).

Feb. 17, 2002: Maryland, 87-73 (The Terps snap a four-year home losing streak to the Blue Devils; Chris Wilcox scores a career-high 23 points).

Jan. 27, 2001: Duke, 98-96 (OT) (gone in 54 seconds)

Jan. 9, 2000: Duke, 80-70 (the Blue Devils win their sixth straight over the Terrapins)

Some video clips from past games after the jump.

Jan. 27, 2001: No. 2 Duke 96, No. 8 Maryland 96 (OT)

Feb. 17, 2002: No. 3 Maryland 87, No. 1 Duke 73

Feb. 12, 2005: Maryland 99, No. 7 Duke 92 (OT)

March 3, 2010: No. 22 Maryland 79, No. 4 Duke 72

By Matt Bonesteel  | February 1, 2011; 12:23 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning links: Maryland-Duke is looming
Next: 'Post Sports Live': Previewing Maryland-Duke

Comments

1984 ACC Tourney. Bias.

Posted by: Effyeahterps | February 1, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I think in terms of history, the "gone in 54 seconds" game was the most exciting from an objective perspective. It's a classic between two teams that would meet again in the Final Four, where another Terps collapse would occur. It also featured the infamous object throwing at Carlos Boozer's mom, and a stiffling hot Cole Field House that felt about 90+ at court level.

From a Maryland fan's perspective, the best game has to be the 2002 game where the Terps got their revenge in the last Duke game at Cole. It also featured Steve Blake's pickpocket of Jason Williams, a highlight that was played at least 50+ times on SportsCenter that night.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 1, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The 2002 game was the best. The Terps dominated in all phases of the game; the contest was in no way as close as the 14-point difference might indicate, as Maryland had a 25-point lead in the second half before calling off the dogs. Despite the thorough destruction of no. 1-ranked Duke on national television and demonstrating that they were, in fact, the best team in the country, the Terps were never ranked no. 1 during any week of that season in which they won the national championship. It's why I (and many other Terps) put no stock whatsoever in the polls.

Posted by: 74umgrad1 | February 1, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Ooooooh, in some of those videos I was reminded just how highly ranked UMD used to be at times.

When was the last time we were #3, #8?

Of course in all of those clips the lowest Duke was ranked was #7? Geez

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 1, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

What about that time Maryland was up 22 points in the National Semifinal...

only to choke it all away. Ha.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | February 1, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I think the question is aimed at JUST Maryland-Duke games in College Park, not tourney games or games in Cameron.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 1, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I was at every one of these. It's pretty hard to rank them. Here's my top 5:

1) I think, for my money, the 2002 win was the best because everyone in the building thought we would be ranked Number 1 in the nation the following Monday when the polls came out. When you are No. 3 and you beat No. 1, you should leapfrog No. 2 (Kansas). We had to wait another 2 months to show the world that we were better than Kansas, but everyone in the building felt we were the best team in America after that game. When Steve Blake "blaked" Jason Williams right before halftime, it sounded like bomb went of at Cole. Loudest single moment I've ever experienced at any game in any sport. Blake foreshadowed this momemt by shooting a 3 during during pre game warmups from about 30 feet, over the duke players' heads, on their side of the practice court. Nothing but net.

2) Number 2 is maybe the toughest one to rank. So many choices. Most memorable? Hate to say this, but it has to be the miracle minute game. The mental breakdown after Steve Blake fouled out. The raping of Drew Nicholas by Jason Williams. The OT. The water bottle at Boozer's mom. So many moments that make this the second most memorable game.

3) Number 3, the Vasquez/Hayes/Milbourne senior night win. So much on the line. ACC Player of the Year. ACC Coach of the Year. A share of the ACC title. We took all that hardware home that night. The perfect ending to Vasquez's career in CP.

4) 2003. Ryan Randle goes off for, I believe, 17 rebounds in his most dominating effort as a Terp. Juan Dixon was in the house, on the sideline, giving advice the entire game to Drew Nicholas, who poured it over 20. At one point, we were up by 27 points in this game. A total blowout over the number 1 team in the nation.

5) 2005. John Gilchrist's finest game outside the ACC tourney. We got an early double digit lead only to let Duke back in late in the 2nd half. Knew we were going to win in OT after Sheldon Williams fouled out.

Honorable Mention: 2004, the game that the nation heard an entire stadium chanting "F--k You J.J" They banned Rock n Roll Part II because of that game.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"Are you kidding me." Even with Maryland bias, it is pretty hard to ignore 10 points scored in 54 seconds on a hostile court.

Posted by: sportsfan2 | February 1, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I think it has to be the 2002 game to end Cole Field House. Not only was it the last game against Duke in that hallowed building, but it was part of the national championship game. I believe that was also the first time that Coach K took the chairs away from his players in the Duke locker room for the rest of the season.

Obviously 2001 is 1A, because anytime I am at a basketball game and one team is up 10 points, I just remember that sad sad day that still haunts many Maryland fans. It just showed how quickly a game can change 10 years later I bet most people in the US remember that.

Posted by: jnolan11 | February 1, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

What about that time Maryland was up 22 points in the National Semifinal...

only to choke it all away. Ha.

Posted by: Scoonie97

I guess Scoonie97 did not watch the game. Go find a tape and watch it. Billy Packer called the game on national TV. He is a Duke and NC fan through and through. Maryland was killing Duke, just running them out of the arena, when the refs started to call phantom fouls on each Maryland starter. Packer went crazy, he could not believe what the refs were doing to Maryland and so clumsily on national TV. Maryland did not choke, as Duke had the game handed to them by the three clowns dressed as refs. Go watch the tape before you pontificate again.

Posted by: angel6 | February 1, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

This was a great post, even if it was painful watching that 2001 game. I wasnt at cole that night, I sold my tickets to Barno. Still not sure if that's the best or worst move I made.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 1, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Refs did help steal that game from us...they were starting to get a lot of calls before halftime to get them back to down just 11. We had a party at the frat house centered around the new big screen we got...and I remember escaping to the backyard court at halftime, shooting hoops by myself and thinking..knowing..we were going to lose this game. Then in the 2nd half, Duhon collided with Blake in a key moment..and they were both on the grown writhing in pain, and Blake kept shouting obscenities over at Duhon for causing the collision. The game was already slipping away at that point, but we never recovered after that moment.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Feb 2nd, 2011. Our key game of the year. Two freshman PG's, adominant sophomore big man and a smothering defense hand Duke it's second straight loss and catapult the Terps into the national spotlight. Terps go on to a 4/5 seed and make the Sweet 16 for the first time in 8 years. They may even go a little deeper. Look to the future boys...

Posted by: petecard | February 1, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Whoa-pete, I didnt think you had it in you

Posted by: jpfterps | February 1, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

yeah pete, you were worried about losing to gtech, now you've got us beating duke, getting a 4 seed, and going at least to the sweet 16. What a 48 hour turnaround...hopefully, duke doesn't have a similar 48 hour turnaround...

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2011 5:27 PM | Report abuse

74umgrad1: Not only was Maryland never ranked #1 during their national championship season; they have NEVER been ranked #1 by the AP. Guess who was ranked #1 by the AP in their final poll of the 2001-02 season? Hint: they didn't make the Final Four, and their name rhymes with "puke." Not that there's any media bias...

Posted by: SmittyATL | February 1, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Smitty, the AP didn't release a post-tournament top 25 that year. That's why Indiana is not even among the top 25 in their final ranking.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2011 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Duke wasn't ranked if I remember correctly in 2007 game at Cameron. I was sitting in the grad student section , wearing my Terps gear. Even got to High Five a freshman named Vasquez as he bounced back to the locker room.

Posted by: bmdugan | February 1, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it but the 2001 contest. This game rose the stakes in the rivalry, one of four contests that year. I think this solidified Duke as Maryland "rival" even if UNC/Duke is the best in college basketball.

Posted by: break20 | February 1, 2011 11:05 PM | Report abuse

For me it was a game I was at...January 1995...yes that was the year Duke was terrible and Coach K was out with his back surgery...but it was Joe Smith's sophomore year and the buzz surrounding the program was sky high...the atmosphere in Cole that Saturday afternoon was unlike anything I had ever experienced...it came down to the final possession when Duke was down 2 and had their shot at the buzzer blocked by Joe Smith to seal a Maryland win...I feel bad for anyone who never got to experience a game at Cole Field House...unlike any basketball arena I've ever been in...

Posted by: hoyasaxa3 | February 2, 2011 2:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hoyasaxa3 | February 2, 2011 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hoyasaxa3 | February 2, 2011 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hoyasaxa3 | February 2, 2011 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hoyasaxa3 | February 2, 2011 2:44 AM | Report abuse

2002 When Steve Blake stole the ball from Jay Williams while he was looking at coach k on the sidelines. amazing to watch and solidified my love of the terps for eternity.

Posted by: mkbf26 | February 2, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Hoya Saxa,
How many times did you hit the "enter" button?

Posted by: break20 | February 3, 2011 1:43 AM | Report abuse