Posted at 1:01 PM ET, 02/24/2011

Talkin' Terps: Can Maryland get a bye in the ACC tournament?

By Matt Bonesteel

Good afternoon.

Meanwhile, let's turn away from that for a moment. If the season ended today, Maryland would be the No. 5 seed in the ACC tournament and would play last-place Wake Forest in the opening round on March 10 at 2 p.m. The winner would take on No. 4 Virginia Tech.

However, a first-round bye is not out of the question. The Terrapins are a game back of fourth-place Virginia Tech in the ACC standings and two games back of third-place Florida State. The Hokies hold the tiebreaker over Maryland because of their regular season sweep, but the Terrapins hold the tiebreaker advantage over Florida State because of Wednesday night's win.

Clemson is tied with Maryland at 7-6 in conference play, but the Terrapins hold the tiebreaker over the Tigers.

Do you think Maryland can end up with a bye in the ACC tournament?

REMAINING SCHEDULES
FLORIDA STATE (9-4 in ACC play)

Saturday: vs. Miami

CLEMSON (7-6)
Saturday: vs. Wake Forest
Wednesday: at Duke
March 5: vs. Virginia Tech

By Matt Bonesteel  | February 24, 2011; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning links: Maryland beats Florida State with relative ease
Next: Terps vs. Heels: Freshman point guards in the spotlight

Comments

Wait, I thought the season was over? That's what a certain person on these blogs has been saying over and over for weeks. You mean there are still meaningful games remaining in the season? You mean Gary and the players didn't quit as easily as a certain person on these blogs who attends games only when Duke is in town? Stunning development...

Posted by: Barno1 | February 24, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I bye would be critical. First off, it means that we'd most likely end up running the table and 10-6 in the conference. I believe only once has a 10-6 Acc team missed the tournament (VT 2 years ago, I believe).

Secondly, it is a big advantage in the second round and gives us a good shot to play Duke again. A 10-6 finish, along with a 1-1 record in the tourney....we would be in as long as we aren't blown out by the dukies.

i like the way the team is coming together.....stoglin is our clear #2 now, and pshon has incredible court vision.

I'll go ahead and predict a win at UNC right now. Result!

Posted by: H1Dynasty | February 24, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm pleased with the development of this team. I don't know, I guess the older I get (and more important things in life to deal with) the less I expect greatness year in and year out. I get pleasure in watching players and chemistry develop under Gary's tutelage. Maryland could never reach another Final Four in my lifetime and I'd vastly prefer rooting for the Terps over something like Kentucky with one-and-dones year in and year out.

Terps still have a chance to do something interesting this year. And I like next year's potential even better.

J. Williams absolutely is not NBA first-round material and I don't even think he will be after next year. That bodes well for Maryland.

Posted by: scrappledog | February 24, 2011 2:43 PM | Report abuse

great chance if they run the table...

typical terps season...1 of 2 scenarios...

scenario 1
when it looks like they are done...they come to life and make a run to the dance at the last possible point in the season.

scenario 2
when it looks like they are in...they go in the toilet and play their way out of the dance...

as painful as it has been up until last week...i just glad we are tracking to scenario 1!!!

Posted by: deadskin | February 24, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

FYI, 6 ft 8 3/4 combo German native, Martin Breunig just comitted to the Terps. He could be a major get for Gary.

My only issue with this team is Cliff Tucker. Stoglin and Pe'shon have such a great court presence. I really don't understand why Gary keeps playing Cliff. I wish his senior year could end better but he's a liability.

Posted by: Originialism1 | February 24, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

H1 getting aggressive calling for the win in the Dean Dome. Didnt you say we would beat Duke at home too?

We need it though. I would love a first round ACC bye. I REALLY wish we had held on to the first BC game at home. If we were making free throws then like we are now, that would be a W.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 24, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Interesting how quiet the Gary haters are today...

Posted by: Barno1 | February 24, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"The debate over student attendance at last night's Maryland-Florida State game is still raging over at the D.C. Sports Bog. Go check it out."
-->Or check out Liz Clarke's entry two posts ago.

Posted by: break20 | February 24, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I think Maryland has a good chance to run the table, but still not get the bye because I don't know if FSU will lose to anyone but UNC. If they do win out, it may be to their advantage to have the extra game to presumably chalk up another win, albeit against an inferior Wake team. The tournament committee would be hard-pressed to keep out a 22-win, 10-6 ACC team in an expanded field. Go Terps!

Posted by: crazycarl16 | February 24, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

We just signed a new recruit. How about we move on from the tabloid sports and do some real journalism?

Or does that not get enough page hits for you?

Posted by: rickroll | February 24, 2011 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you get made to look like an idoit on every post and you lose every argument, even the last one where I named 4/5 star local players that Gary didnt recruit and you have no comeback. So like a child you run and hide jump to another blog to start running your mouth.

Why??? because MD beat a weak Fl St team, that didnt have its best player i.e. All American candidate, at home. Big deal, we are still not even on the bubble. If we beat UNC, then you can run your mouth, until then, we still have not beaten a ranked team this year and have the same coach that doesnt like recruiting and is taking us to another NIT. Oh and we are in 6th place right now, yes I am sure the ACC is going to get 6 teams into the NCAA, time to gloat BARNO....child!

Oh wait, Gary just signed a 3 star 6'9 guy from Germany, that no one was recruiting,,,woohoo!!! That is Gary's major get???? Well I hope he can fill in for his major get of a couple years ago, Padgett. Watch some of the kids videos, not looking to scary.

OK, I am off to my realistic world, have fun in make believe world where MD basketball and Gary are doing great!

Posted by: cm88 | February 24, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Opps sorry I was wrong, the german kid is a NR i.e. Not rated on the MD Scout page, so not even a 3 star. Great get Gary!!!

Posted by: cm88 | February 24, 2011 5:58 PM | Report abuse

If you really knew anything about recruiting you would know he isn't rated because he hasn't been here long enough for them to have an accurate evaluation grade.

NR has nothing to do with his talent level.

Posted by: rickroll | February 24, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Terps Get Coveted Big Man:

Posted by: MrScrotums | February 24, 2011 7:04 PM | Report abuse

CM,

The major ranking services base their rankings on AAU play and the players' previous year of high school ball. Yes, the player are ranked strongly on AAU me-first b-ball...which explains why MD's only 4-star recruit (Mychal Parker) is riding the pine. Martin Bruenig has done neither. Therefore, he is not ranked.

I think this kid is an extemely under-valued 3-star...just like Howard, Stogs and J-Will.

Gibbs, Faust and Bruenig is a VERY good class...not in rankings, but how these guys play b-ball.

Posted by: larry31 | February 24, 2011 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Certified moron88 certifies his moronic status once again. This time may take the cake, by claiming I lost some argument about 4-5 star recruits...an argument we never even had and I never commented on whatsoever. Hysterically, he has me confused with other bloggers who he was arguing with. This is truly hilarious. Seriously, how stupid can one person really be?

Posted by: Barno1 | February 24, 2011 9:01 PM | Report abuse

CM88,

I have no problem with you calling out Gary for some of his misses and I certainly take no issue with you arguing against Barno (he needs that type of feedback), but it really looks like you are starting to root against Maryland just to prove a point.

Why would you judge a recruitng committment at this point based solely on some ranking? These are historically inaccurate. The goal is to win games, not get the most 4-5 star recruits. Ask yourself, who was a better Terp, Juan Dixon or Mike Jones?? Who was rated higher?

Give it a rest, you are losing all credibility. If you want to see UMD do poorly just so it can support your anti-Gary posts you need to seriously evaluate whether you are a fan of the program.

Posted by: terpape | February 24, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

VT is playing 3 very tough teams and could easily lose all of them - while MD could very well win the last two.

Posted by: charley42 | February 24, 2011 9:55 PM | Report abuse

CM88 is not a Maryland fan or alum. He's a hater. No Terp fan/alum would say spout the hatred about his team/school that he does. Go back to the UNC/Duke/VT boards please. You friggin' tool.

Posted by: Section505203 | February 24, 2011 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Sagarin has us the third ranked team in the ACC. And a #19 Predictor rating in the country. Anyone who has seen this play knows three things, much depends on the next game, there are no easy games at this point in the season, and the Terps are not as young as they were at the beginning of the season. And, oh yeah, number four......the dance committee likes teams who peak at the right time. Finish strong and they are in. Beat Carolina!

Can't wait to see Nick Faust in action. The new guy, Breunig, looks like a Dave Neal who can play above the rim......a project with much potential.....exactly Gary's specialty.

Posted by: steven09 | February 25, 2011 1:08 AM | Report abuse

I also have to say.....a first round match against Wake, and a rematch against VPI, is an attractive way to go. If we have to earn the extra game.

I mean.....who in the world would pick a team with a castrated turkey as their mascot? What were they thinking?????

Posted by: steven09 | February 25, 2011 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: steven09 | February 25, 2011 1:18 AM

The name came first - the turkey reference came later.

Posted by: charley42 | February 25, 2011 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Section, sorry but I have never said anything against MD or the team, so just because I dont like the job that Gary is doing, I am a MD hater or not a fan??? yeah that makes sense.

Terpape, trust me, I know the rankings dont mean EVERYTHING, but its hard to get excited about someone that is ranked either a 3 or NA, and no other schools where offering a schollie to, plus adding in Garys track record of lazy recruiting, its hard to get pumped. I hope and so does every MD fan, that this kid is the next Joe Smith, but he could easily end up being like a number of other 6'9 guys we have had over the past 5-10 years that ended up transferring/riding the bench.

BARNO, i guess I am crazy, cause I swear you where involved in this post where you once again called me names and a duke fan...where you said Gary is very involved in recruiting, etc....guess it wasnt you, sorry!

...I can also name a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits that said the exact same thing about Gary thinking he was too good to go recruit the kid.

Posted by: cm88 | February 22, 2011 9:20 PM

Yes, please name them. I don't recall seeing anything previously about a number of 4 and 5 star recruits who said that Gary thought he was too good to go recruit them, so I would be curious to see the list. I admit I don't know Gary's level of involvement in recruiting, and I suspect you don't either

Posted by: MrScrotums | February 23, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Scrotums,

CM88 is a duke fan who has no idea what he is talking about ever when it comes to the Terps. The guy wastes hours on end every single day calling for GW to be fired and yet comically doesn't even realize Gary isn't going anywhere. He is hallucinating when he claims Gary doesn't go to watch our recruits' games. Gary is very involved in recruiting and spends as much time as any coach in the country on the recruiting trail. It's a figment of CM88's imagination that Gary doesn't recruit in person. But let this loser live in his fantasy world, he just looks like an idiot on these blogs and virtually everyone on here has decided to just stop arguing with this nutcase.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 23, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cm88 | February 25, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I already posted multiple articles and names of players that said Gary never showed up to his games, but his assistants did. So please explain Barno, how Gary is spending as much time on the recruiting trail and very involved, when multiple experts/articles, say he isnt, the kids say he isnt and there is financial proof that even the womens program spends more money and time then Gary. Guess what, the womens program is landing Top recruits and is a Top 10-20 program, consistently...odd but I guess it has nothing to do with recruiting.

Yeah barno, and I am the moron hahaha! Go back to your Gary blowup doll

Posted by: cm88 | February 25, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I actually would prefer the Terps not to have a bye. If the Terps finish in the 4-slot, they'll play on Friday against the 5-12 winner, and whoever is in that 5 slot (assuming they win) will be on the bubble just as much as the Terps (VaTech/Clemson/BC), and will have the advantage of a game under their belts in an awkward shooting environment. The Terps would be fresher with the bye, but I don't think fatigue is much of a factor for this team, and getting some experience in the Greensboro Colosseum against a team like Wake would be advantageous. Not only that, even though the first round game would be against a team that would likely hurt the RPI, it's still another win on the record, and would relax what is likely to be a really tight team going into that tournament.

A bye would mean everything would depend on that game on Friday night against the 5/12 winner, and given this team's history of first-round flamouts in the ACC Tournament, I'd rather see the Terps get an easier matchup to prepare for the critical matchup on Friday.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 25, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Russ, but it is hard to really care. This season is a big disappointment and it will take a miracle to make the NCAA tournament. I won't stop watching and rooting, but I am investing ZERO emotion into the process. It's very hard to be a fan of this program. Imagine, our biggest win year in and year out for eight years is being selected to the tournament. Beating Duke last year was nice, but not something to hang your fandom on. Don't tell me that beating FSU the other night meant anything in the overall scheme of things. It only kept the hope up. That's a pretty empty glass.

Posted by: petecard | February 25, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I think the german kid maybe a good get that flew under the radar with his late arrival on the scene and this looks like the best class in awhile for MD, but it doesn't change the overall arc of the program which is down. This year comes down to the UNC game. win and I think we find a way in, lose and its over outside of at least a run to ACC championship game and probably winning it.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 25, 2011 11:32 AM | Report abuse

BTW whoever said the JW isn't first round talent is whistling past the grave yard and probably watches 1 NBA game pre year. JW is mid-late 1rst round NBA material right now.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 25, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Petecard is exactly right. MD fans get all excited about beating a mediocre FSU team at home without their best player and act like Stoglin is some kind of exceptional talent. I don't know if you guys have cable, but you can flip around the 10 ESPN stations every night and see battles in the Big 12, Big East, and Big 10 and see the ACC is a very weak conference.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 25, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Great points Restonhoops! Good to see someone with some common sense who is also a terps fan on here.

Btw, I really hope Jordan does not develop a 10-15 ft jumper in the next couple of weeks, otherwise he is high 1st rounder and gone, which would kill us next year.

Posted by: cm88 | February 25, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Good pts Russ/Petecard,,,,I think playing more is the best thing for a young team, could only help them, they are too young to get tired.

Posted by: cm88 | February 25, 2011 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cm88 | February 25, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

He did show off a baby hook against FSU, which obviously still needs some work. I think the more tape scouts get on him this year, the more they will see that he needs at least one more year of college before making the jump. I'm not saying this because I would like to see him come back next year, but because he's just not ready yet for play at the next level.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 25, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Barno doesn't like me either so welcome to the club of those MD fans that doen't think missing the tourney or getting in the last weekend is something to applaud.

Posted by: restonhoops | February 25, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Russ, I am hoping the draft is deep this year, so maybe the Wiz will get some good players, but also to deter Jordan.

Can you imagine our starting line up without Jordan...

Stog
Peshon or Nick Faust
Mosley
Hawk
Padgett

Kill me now!

Posted by: cm88 | February 25, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Its fun Restonhoops, it makes my days at work go by much faster, knowing I am annoying the piss out of him :) hahaha

Its pretty obvious that more and more people are getting tired of Garys product he is delivering. Not just morons like me ranting on boards, but articles and now attendence is down. Trust me, if we where a top/competing program, the seats would be filled. I dont blame fans for not wanting to waste their hard earned money to go support a team when the coach is not delivering or even trying when it comes to recruiting.

I feel sorry for the players, because they are at least playing and working hard, its definitely not their faults...we just dont have the horses to compete.

Posted by: cm88 | February 25, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Guys.....I think we are heading in the right direction. I like our front court, and we have a young and talented back court. We got Jordan two years ago, a world class player. Last year's recruiting class is right up there with the best in the country. So is this year's class. Faust is a top 50 recruit in everyone's book, and probably the best recruit in Maryland. Thank you Bino. I think Bino is a tremendous asset. Gibbs will add depth and Breunig could be a real gem under the radar. Remember Joe Smith? He wasn't recruited either.

We're never going to recruit like Duke or Kentucky. But Gary's best trait is developing good recruits into great players. Three years ago if you asked me what was GW's weak spot I would have said recruiting. He left that to Hahn, Patsos and Chuckie. Lately I see he had turned the corner and focused on recruiting. Remember he even turned one-and-done Stephenson away. And, again, I see Bino Ranson as a huge asset. He will do more to keep in-state talent than any of the other previous assistants. That is my hope.

GW's weak spot lately? Coaching free throws.

Posted by: steven09 | February 25, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

When you say Gary's best trait is developing good recruits into great players, ummmm are you talking about Bowie, Tucker, or Mosley,,,trying to figure out which one is great now? :)

Posted by: cm88 | February 25, 2011 6:42 PM | Report abuse