Posted at 12:29 PM ET, 02/23/2011

Talkin' Terps: How many ACC teams will make the NCAA tournament?

By Matt Bonesteel

Good afternoon.

Pretty simple topic of conversation this afternoon: How many ACC teams do you see making the NCAA tournament?

In his latest 68-team projection, Eric Prisbell has four ACC teams: Duke, North Carolina, Florida State and Boston College (in one of the play-in games pitting the last four at-large teams against one another).

Other bracketologists of note:

ESPN's Joe Lunardi: 5 ACC teams (Duke, North Carolina, Florida State, Boston College (play-in game) and Virginia Tech.

Bracket Matrix: 5 (Duke, North Carolina, Florida State, Boston College and Virginia Tech).

D1scourse: 6 (Duke, North Carolina, Florida State, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Clemson). Hokies and Tigers both in play-in games.

Sports Illustrated's Andy Glockner: 4 (Duke, North Carolina, Florida State, Boston College).

Jerry Palm: 4 (Duke, North Carolina, Florida State, Boston College).

By Matt Bonesteel  | February 23, 2011; 12:29 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Florida State’s Bernard James: A veteran in more ways than one
Next: OPEN THREAD: Maryland vs. Florida State

Comments

5 - Duke, UNC, FSU, VT and MD.

(Yes, I refuse to let go of that thin thread of hope we have. I can't help but to be an optimistic homer. Deal with it.)

Posted by: fushezzi | February 23, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

After the way the Maryland AD handled Coach Friedgen, I've got wonder if Gary Williams's job isn't on the line if his team fails to make the tournament...it would be a big loss for Maryland fans

Posted by: ValleyForge62 | February 23, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Gary's job isnt on the line. There would be an all out riot.

Fusheezi I like the hope. If we win both games this week the conversation will be very different next Monday.

It all starts tonight. Need a big win.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 23, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see both Va Tech and UMD make it in, but they both need to win some games to make that happen.

It's probably better if they both focus on one game at a time, and not worry about the tournament.

Posted by: postfan1 | February 23, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Terps win tonight by double digits. Tucker steps up with a big game. And we get a little momentum going into our make or break game at UNC, who we look to beat for the 5th year in a row.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 23, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Terps need five wins to make it. I just don't know if it will happen. UNC being one of them would really help. Beating BC or VT in the ACC tournament would be a boon as well, and we should be playing one of them on Friday (if we don't get knocked out on Thursday).

Posted by: jbuchoff | February 23, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Barno- I hope you're right about Tucker. Especially if we go with the same starting 5 as last game. That would give him some swag going into the Carolina game where he has a history of playing well.

Tucker and Bowie could take some advice from Stoglin who said about his last 2 games..."I just finally relaxed".

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | February 23, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"After the way the Maryland AD handled Coach Friedgen, I've got wonder if Gary Williams's job isn't on the line if his team fails to make the tournament."
Posted by: ValleyForge62 | February 23, 2011 2:59 PM

-----------------------------------------

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | February 23, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

There is no chance Gary Williams is ever fired or forced to resign from UMD. That's why the drunken babbling of CM88 and the 1 or 2 other Gary-haters is such a waste of time. They have no idea how pointless their comments are.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 23, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Barno, since you cant help looking stupid, here is the answer to your stupid kid rant again....looks like you are wrong ONCE again. Wow what an idiot!

I can also name a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits that said the exact same thing about Gary thinking he was too good to go recruit the kid.

Posted by: cm88 | February 22, 2011 9:20 PM

Yes, please name them. I don't recall seeing anything previously about a number of 4 and 5 star recruits who said that Gary thought he was too good to go recruit them, so I would be curious to see the list. I admit I don't know Gary's level of involvement in recruiting, and I suspect you don't either

Posted by: MrScrotums | February 23, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Scrotums,

CM88 is a duke fan who has no idea what he is talking about ever when it comes to the Terps. The guy wastes hours on end every single day calling for GW to be fired and yet comically doesn't even realize Gary isn't going anywhere. He is hallucinating when he claims Gary doesn't go to watch our recruits' games. Gary is very involved in recruiting and spends as much time as any coach in the country on the recruiting trail. It's a figment of CM88's imagination that Gary doesn't recruit in person. But let this loser live in his fantasy world, he just looks like an idiot on these blogs and virtually everyone on here has decided to just stop arguing with this nutcase.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 23, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cm88 | February 23, 2011 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Here you go BARNO!!!! any other dumb statements you want to make?

I love when Barno opens his mouth and looks like a complete idiot,,,so easy for him :) Sorry Fushezzi and Scrotems, that you had to include yourselves in this list but you asked for it. Please know MD basketball before you act like an expert!!!

Here you go:

3rd party article, I can send the link:

Players like Rudy Gay (UConn), Carmelo Anthony (Syracuse), Donte Greene (Syracuse), Kevin Durant (Texas), Jack McClinton (Miami), DaJuan Summers (Georgetown), and Malcolm Delaney (Virginia Tech) are just some of the many local players who did not attend Maryland. These players, in most cases, were not even recruited by Williams and Maryland.

Donte Greene, who always dreamed of going to Maryland, said this as the reason he went to Syracuse: “When I looked in the stands at my high school games, I saw head coaches from all the schools except Maryland. They sent their assistant coach.”

Recruiting is the most important thing in college sports, and if Williams slacks in this department, the program will never rebound from it. If you cannot recruit, it does not matter how great of a coach you are; you will not win many basketball games.

Losing recruits to UConn and Syracuse is understandable, but losing recruits to the likes of Miami and Virginia Tech is unacceptable for a program like Maryland.

Gary Williams likes to recruit the unheralded, four-year type of player and tends to shy away from the McDonald's All-American. Players like Will Thomas and Jai Lewis both went to high school in Maryland and got little attention from the “big schools.” Both ended up at George Mason and led them to the Final Four, making Terps fans regret Williams not recruiting them

Posted by: cm88 | February 23, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

See above...Wow, kind of sounds like the same thing Witt said, but I guess Gary doesnt want him if he is sending Bino out a ton to go recruit him???? ummmm that makes sense.

Come on guys, wake up you really arent that stupid to believe the garylover hype.

Year after year, same story, but I guess they are all lying.

Posted by: cm88 | February 23, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cm88 | February 23, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Heres another one regarding Kendall Marshall,,,same freaking story.

Posted by: cm88 | February 23, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but you can keep calling me a loser Duke fan, I hate duke!!! I love MD basketball more than any sport/team, and I want someone that actually tries.

Go Terps!!! Hope we can win tonight and still have a chance at the NCAA.

Posted by: cm88 | February 23, 2011 6:38 PM | Report abuse

cm88, you said you could name a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits who said that Gary thought he was too good to go recruit them. I asked you to name them, and you come back with names of local recruits who Gary either didn't want or get. Not the same. You say "Please know MD basketball before you act like an expert," but you apparently aren't even aware of the background on the Rudy Gay recruitment.

Posted by: MrScrotums | February 24, 2011 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Mrballs,,,,come on, Gary didnt want them??? Thats like a me asking a supermodel out and her saying no, so then I say, I didnt want to go out with her anyways :) haha

I am very aware of the Rudy Gay issue, I mentioned several other names per your request. Sorry but you guys will always come up with some excuse for Gary, but there is just case after case of guys that Gary never went to see, yet his assistants did, so Gary didnt want them???? or he was too lazy?

There is Witt above, an all met guy that Bino is all over, yet Gary didnt go see.

There is Kendall in the story above.

Donte Green, assistants again, but NO GARY

If Gary didnt want them, why are the assistants going?????? Come on, you seem like a fan and logical, but that excuse of Gary not wanting them doesnt make any sense.

Btw, my neg comment was meant towards that child Barno, not you, sorry :)

Posted by: cm88 | February 24, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

"Oh come on, are you serious? There is not a snowball's chance that GW's job is on the line. The football and basketball situations are not even close to comparable.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | February 23, 2011 5:09 PM"
-->OK I know Gary has won a national championship but if you don't want to live in the past (as in 10 years ago)... declining attendance in both, lack of postseason prestige (3 NIT appearances and can't make it past the second round), and subpar recruiting.

I think GW should get to go out on his own terms. But I should point out to you, this is a BASKETBALL school, shouldn't we hold the basketball program to a higher standard than the football program?

You think Joker Phillips is held to the same standard as Cal? You think Mike Brey is held to the same standard as Brian Kelly?

Posted by: break20 | February 24, 2011 11:12 AM | Report abuse

If Gary didnt want them, why are the assistants going??????

Posted by: cm88 | February 24, 2011 9:51 AM

Keeping his options open, I suppose; e.g., Whittington was the fallback if he didn't get Breunig. If Breunig committed elsewhere, he might've talked to Whittington. Also, you ask why Gary wouldn't want them, well some were one-and-done's (for example, Anthony and Greene), others he might feel aren't a good fit for his offense. Could be there's an attitude or academic issue. It's not like Gary doesn't talk to any recruit. Maybe just to the ones he really wants.

Posted by: MrScrotums | February 24, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Good pts, but again, I would then say Francis/Joe Smith, both helped us out and helped us win, but where here short term. Then you look at what Carmelo and other one and dones have done for schools and it makes no sense to go after a local one if he helps you win that year and helps you recruit for other talent.

Sorry I am just an anti gary guy, I love MD too much to see us go backwards and get avg talent. We just signed Breunig and its hard to get excited over another 3 star guy that doesnt look like he was being recruited by anyone.

Posted by: cm88 | February 24, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse