Posted at 11:55 AM ET, 02/16/2011

Talkin' Terps: What's Maryland's ideal lineup?

By Matt Bonesteel

Good afternoon.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in after Maryland's loss last night to Virginia Tech. A common theme throughout the comments was that Coach Gary Williams needs to perhaps start playing his freshmen more, namely Terrell Stoglin, Pe'Shon Howard and Hauk Palsson.

Commenter frostanna:

Gary should start looking to next year now, and play some of the bench players to see if they will be able to contribute next year.

torope:

I liked the play of Stoglin/Howard and think Gary must use these two together for us to have a shot.

jack51:

Play the freshmen and be done with it.

Russtinator (who's bringing it in the comments lately):

I'm really starting to enjoy watching the 2 freshmen on the court at the same time. I didn't think it would work at the beginning of the season, but the two actually play well off of each other and their skills compliment each other better that anticipated.

So is it time to look toward the future and give the freshmen more playing time? What's your ideal lineup for the Terrapins the rest of the season? The floor is yours.

By Matt Bonesteel  | February 16, 2011; 11:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps 16-10 overall; 0-26 in upsets
Next: John Feinstein weighs in on Maryland basketball

Comments

Play them...bowie and tucker turned out to be total duds..really a shame...

Thats Ok The football circle jerk continues...Question???Why was shannon allowed to interveiw in the first place if he knew this was going to be an issue!!!!

Another example of our 300k a yr AD not doing his DD

WHATS NEXT

Posted by: carolina1 | February 16, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Howard at the 1, Stoglin at the 2. I like Stoglin in the flex getting the ball of screens.

Sit Bowie and mosley.

Hawk 3 , dino and Williams 4 & 5

Posted by: MarylandForever21 | February 16, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

It's not even about playing for next year. Playing Howard and Stoglin together legitamitely gives us the best chance to win right now.

Posted by: elowe2 | February 16, 2011 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I think there is nothing you can do about Bowie. He is just a nervous-pervis out there. He can't help it, and no amount of coaching is ever going to change that.
But Tucker is a real head scratcher. No one can deny he has the skills to be a good player at this level. He likely has a bright future playing overseas making more money than most of the people who comment on this board. But right now, the effort just isn't there from him. Just look at his rebound numbers from the beginning of the year vs now. He was regularly getting 4, 5, 6, 7 rebounds a game in the first half of the year. But since, he's only had one game above 4 rebounds in the last dozen or so games. That's effort.

I expect us to beat Fl State and NC State, but the North Carolina game seems pretty daunting right now. I'm predicting 9-7 and then we'll need a serious run in the ACC tourney. Prisbell thinks 9-7 plus a run to the ACC tourney final puts us in position. It's a lot to ask.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2011 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Any lineup that doesn't include Cliff Tucker in it is pretty good. I was at the game last night and he made so many silly mistakes.

Posted by: tengoalyrunr30 | February 16, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree with MarylandForever21.

1 - Howard
2 - Stoglin
3 - Hawk
4 - Williams
5 - Dino

This is the lineup that gives us the best chance. Mosely can sub for Hawk because he plays better defense but Tucker, Bowie and Padget coming off the bench in support roles.

Posted by: torope | February 16, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

4 trips to the NIT in the last 8 years.

Talk about building off that NCAA Title....

I'd love for our program to be able to simply reload, instead of rebuilding.

Swept by VT and BC in the same season. Lord that's terrible.

Of course we got other posters on here resorting to name-calling (again) and pointing out grammatical mistakes. That's where the 2010-2011 Terps have brought us now.......

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 16, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"Of course we got other posters on here resorting to name-calling (again)"

Like I said, he started calling people morons so can't expect others not to return the favor.

As for the grammatical mistakes...if it's a simple misspelled word here or there or an obvious typo...then who cares? But when the guy repeatedly calls other people morons, yet even if his life depended on it can't figure out what an apostrophe is for--well, it's hard to ignore. I mean, most 5th graders know what an apostrophe is for right? But our new genius CM88 can't seem to figure it out.

Of course it's shocking that a guy of such high intelligence would want Gary Williams fired from MD.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

2 wrongs dont make a right, unless you ask Homer.

Could always be the more mature one and let him/her do the name-calling while elevating yourself above said.

Just food for thought.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | February 16, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Barno, being super-fan that you are, I'm surprised that you're not up on Tucker's situation. He's a dad too, and his kid is back in El Paso. That's the reason why he's not playing better.

The comment is tongue-in-cheek, of course, because that was your excuse for Mosely's sub-par season a few weeks ago.

The reality is that whatever is impacting their non-basketball lives, most players are able to insulate themselves from that turmoil once they get on the basketball court. Our own golden boy Juan Dixon is a perfect example. The reality is that these three (Bowie, Tucker, and Mosely) just didn't pan out like a lot of Gary's other projects have. From my perspective Mosely is the most disappointing, simply because of his improvement up until this season.

As for lineups, I agree with most posters. Play the freshmen plus Dino and JWill. It would be nice to get Parker a little run too, to see what he can do against ACC-quality opposition.

Posted by: caphillterp | February 16, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

LETS SEE BARNO, was I trying to be civil or did I call you one name????

Barno, you definitely are a fan, which is great. But even if it is 1-25, dont you see that we shouldnt even be in this place right now.

Cm88, I know you can't help it. You're just not very smart, and that's not your fault. Your constant misuse of apostrophes is evidence enough. But I think someone should point out to you that we aren't actually 1-25 in upsets; there haven't been 26 games in which we were underdogs.

Also I think you need to stop with the "squeaking in" comments. We squeaked in once in the last 8 years, 2009, as a 10 seed. In the other years we were no worse than a 4 seed. That means we were one of the 13-16 best teams in the country on Selection Sunday. That is not "squeaking in" by any standard.

According to Certified Moron88's delusional world, you are "squeaking in" if you haven't wrapped up your bid with a month left in the regular season. Never mind the fact that only a few teams in the country have wrapped up bids that early. The vast majority of at large teams have work to do in the final weeks in order to earn their bids. They can't all be "squeaking in."

Again, I know this isn't your fault for not understand this stuff. You can't help it, you just don't have a high IQ. It's like Robin Williams says to Will Hunting. It's not your fault CM88. It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Fail

Posted by: SirPelleas | February 16, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Pretty funny Barnie, I was trying to be civil and actually have an adult conversation with you, but it looks like you are still a complete homo that sniffs Garys sweaty undies, so you are a useless little punk that cannot stop hiding behind a computer and making personal comments.

Again, you showed what a retard you are,,,in one post you are stating the different years that we had to "make a run" "step it up" etc., but now you are only saying we "squeeked in one year" in the past 8,,,very interesting/selective memory you have over the past 8 years. I think most of us, would recognize that we have been a bubble team for the past 8 years doing one part or a majority of each of those years.

Again, pointing out what a true moron you are...if you are ranked a 10 seed in the NCAA tourn, it does not mean you are one of the 13-16 best teams in the country,,,YOU F ing MORON!!!! It means you are rated the 10th best in that bracket,,,you stupid kid!!! How many brackets are there??? ok now do the math!!

I may be grammatically incorrect in my blog typing, but you are a complete moron if you think MD was one of the top 10-15 teams in the country in the past 8 years or if you think thats what the NCAA seedings are in each bracket,,try multiplying by 4 you complete MORON!!!

You make me laugh that you try and act like you know anything regarding MD basketball or basketball in general.

You just tooled yourself

Posted by: cm88 | February 16, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Its funny, every time BARNO is painted into a corner with a good point or reason why Gary is failing, instead of coming back with some good points like RUSS, he attacks grammatical issues on a blog haha! OR says your a Duke fan to me or Restonhoops or others. Or he points out some stat from 10 years ago. Or he calls you a moron :)

Lets see, you stated that GV was one of the 5-7 greatest terps ever, agreeing with Gary. Yet I named 10-12 and the only comeback you had was to pull out Steve Francis out of my list and call me an idiot, yet Steve Francis was a better player in his one year, than GV was in of his single seasons. So yes, maybe its depatable, but do you really think that anyone would say GV was a better basketball player than Steve Francis?

Ok you lost that debate, just on the fact that you have to say that GV falls into the 10-20 top MD players, not Top 10,,,plus I think you stated that GV was one of the all time ACC players ever, ok I am not even going to address that moronic statement. GV would be lucky to even break the Top 50.

Next stupid point,,,MD has not "squeeked" in except for 1 year in the past 8??? So you are saying that over the past 8 years, we have not been a bubble team? Ok, I will leave that stupid comment to rest on its own!

Next stupid point, Gary is a GREAT coach and doing a GREAT job! Looks like we are headed to another NIT sparky, you think 4 NIT's in 8 years is a great coach???? You think bad/avg recruiting classes every year is a GREAT coach,,sorry but part of being a great coach is recruiting, which he is aweful at!!! COY in the ACC last year, wow what did he do before the beginning of the ACC season? What did he do this year? Great coach???

Good coach yes, not even in the same sentence as Wooden, Coach K(ugh), Dean, Bobby Knight, etc.

Sorry Barnie, but I tried asking you civil questions earlier today and it seems your garylove has gone into anger and pure homosexual lust, so I give up!

If youre happy with the job Gary is doing, then I am sad that you can be considered a MD fan!

True MD fans want better,,,,do I know who would be the right replacement, NO! I dont have a crystal ball, would we do better without him maybe, hopefully yes. Would we do worse, there is not much further down hill we can go at this point.

Ok, now you may make fun of my blogging grammatical posts :)

Btw, I really enjoyed the Carribeans this past weekend, with my bad english, what did you do :) haha!!

Posted by: cm88 | February 16, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I would actually like to see what this team would look like if it went big. Dino is really a 3 in a 4's body (reminds me of Mario Lucas without the range), and I would be really interested to see one of the following lineups on the floor:

5 Williams
4 Padgett
3 Gregory
2 Stoglin
1 Howard

or

5 Weijs
4 Williams
3 Gregory
2 Stoglin
1 Howard

Having a second pure rebounder in there with Williams could really make a difference on the defensive end. Dino would be a matchup nightmare at the 3 with his ability to post up smaller guys or take larger guys out of the lane. Dino also has enough of a shot to run the flex cuts instead of the duck and go's that he does now. With a two-headed post presence (JW/JP or JW/BW), it will make it more difficult for teams to double JW. Dino offers some of that, but because he spends most of his time on the elbow, teams are willing to give up that 12-15 foot jump shot over a JW layup or dunk. The flex works best when you have a 4 that can set screens and post. Some of the best offensive years came when the Terps had that frontcourt balance (Gist/Osby and Gist/Ibekwe). Weijs would also take some pressure off of JW on the defensive end. He may be a necessity against UNC and their frontcourt of Henson and Zeller.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 16, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

caphillterp,

I didn't know Tucker was a dad. Though that was never my excuse for Mosley, go back and read my comments. I simply wondered if it had to do with it and thought the Post might want to ask about it. Big difference.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The prize goes to Russtinator. His big line-up with DG, JP & JW together should start, with BW being the first big off the bench. HP still sees playing time, but mostly for DG.

Its hard to match up with size. Its even hard to match up with size and speed. And I've seen a lot more out of the sitting bigs than I have from SM, AB & CT.

Go big, stick with deliberate penetration and everybody is happy and relaxed on selection Sunday.

But beat UNC. You guys need to beat UNC. And you will.

Posted by: Duke-Rulz-1995 | February 16, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Russ,,,love youre first lineup! Great idea, maybe Bowie/Tucker/Mosley could actually do something against other teams 6-9 guys.

Amazing that Dino was the one that actually developed some during his 4 years here, I thought that Tucker would take over this year, ugh!

Posted by: cm88 | February 16, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

comments like the ones above are why you are all blogging instead of coaching. You are all just a bunch of wannabe`s holed up in your " perimeter " while the actual game is going on.

Cut Coach some slack, he has a HOF resume and has earned the right to call it the way he sees it.

I doubt if any one of these posters could come close to his accomplishments.

Posted by: terpfan4141 | February 16, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

This topic is a waste of time. Like it really matters what anyone thinks about the starting line up at this point. Okay, giving more time to some of the young guys may be a worthwhile developmental option, but in the larger context it is meaningless and GW will do what he wants to do. So I am not even going to offer an opinion. But the one thing I will say is that certain people are getting even more defensive than usual and once again resorting to name calling and tired Koolaid-induced talking points. Anyone who thinks they understand this team doesn't have a clue. This is a collection of misfits. I won't say they are underachievers because they may be playing at an optimum level for their skills and experience. I will say that they are no fun to root for and watch. The fun is long gone from this season. Can you even imagine senior night? I mean who would even want to be there?

Posted by: petecard | February 16, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

terpfan4141,,,some of us are just trying to get through the day at work and like to pretend, geezzzz :) haha

Posted by: cm88 | February 16, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Russ, that Weijs at the 5 option is really intriguing. Putting two big men in there (or maybe like you said using Padgett as the other) might help because we've struggled with rebounds this year.

I like it, and with the way the team is heading this season, it's not a bad idea to play around with the lineup and see what works the best.

Posted by: tengoalyrunr30 | February 16, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

1. The best part about the freshmen guards is Gary Williams has not destroyed their confidence. to play for GW and be successful you must be extremely confident in yorself to where GW does not effect you like Vasquez, Dixon, Blake, Francis, etc.

2. Looking back Cliff Tucker should have transferred 2 years ago. It's apparent he and GW do not see eye to eye and his confidence has been ruined. (Bowie should have considered transferring too.)

3. I cannot put a finger on it exactly, but there's a problem in College Park. MD-college park is a good school and too nice of an environment to be a mediocre program. the the amount of local talent. The Arena is the new 19K seats of the Comcast Center. UMD has girls, maybe not like Florida, but it has the benefits of all the schools in the DC area too if there aren't enough in CP. I just don't understand how kids go to Manhattan, Kansas or like places over MD. GW is part of the problem.

Posted by: oknow1 | February 16, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Howard
Stoglin
Tucker
Gregory
Williams

Don't give me that "Tucker's better off the bench" BS. Because that's BS.

Posted by: msveasey | February 16, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

It's a fun exercise but I trust Gary to put the right lineup on the floor. What most of your posts don't factor in is the defensive end of the floor. I think that's a reason that you don't see more of some of these guys. I'm surprised how many people want the Hawk in there more. I just haven't seen it from him myself, especially on the defensive end. Every time a guy is hitting a big shot it seems to me Hawk is 5 feet away and running toward them. Either he gets lost a lot or it's just coincidence that he's the closest guy.

Posted by: jeffterpsfan | February 16, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

caphillterp,

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2011 2:12 PM
________________________

I can't say for sure one way or the other, but this doesn't seem kosher. I don't think it is a reporter's place to ask a college athlete about their personal life and whether it is affecting their game. "So, do you think you're playing badly because you have a kid?" Just would seem like kind of a jerk move to me.

Posted by: marylandarlington | February 16, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oknow1 | February 16, 2011 3:27 PM
___________________________

I have no idea what any of this means. But it sounds pretty dumb.

Posted by: marylandarlington | February 16, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

This team is about as athletic as any of Gary's teams but the parts just do not fit. Gregory is too small for a 4 but not athletic enough for a 3. Mosley needs to be a 3 because he doesn't handle the ball enough and can't shoot enough to be a 2. Even JW is probably not a true 5. He's Lonnie Baxtor plus. Imagine if he had a Chris Wilcox next to him. I think Gary is a terrific coach and he's put plenty of guys in the pros, so he knows the talent. But he has recruited too many of the same guys. He loves athletes. Don't we all. But they can't all be slashing wing players. We need a couple of shooters. Not scores, but shooters. Stoglin and Howard are both probably 1s, but can probably play together at times. Hawk is a 3 or even a 2. JW is a 4 or a 5. I hope Gary can plug the other holes next year.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | February 16, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: marylandarlington | February 16, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

A reporter wouldn't pose the question that way obviously. But college athletes becoming parents are talked about in the press, yet for some reason the Post won't touch it. Recall Lance Stephenson and how reporters often wrote the he likely wanted to stay closer to home because he was a father. One thing you have to keep in mind is if you are a player starting in the ACC, you are a public figure--whether you like it or not. I don't see any harm in a reporter asking a player a few questions about fatherhood. Tucker and Mosley are adults after all, I think they can handle it. If they don't want to talk about, they can say that. But what's the harm in asking.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 16, 2011 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Russtinator, you have my vote, as well. We have been playing small ball for ten years, too long.

People forget that Lonnie Baxter had Chris Wilcox. Wes Unseld had Elvin. JW needs that shot blocker and rebounder next to him, as well.

Love Dino as well. Put him at the three with Paulson. He has developed his game, maybe some time at the 3 will help his future.

Posted by: richardj1 | February 16, 2011 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Play the freshmen.

Any line up that doesn't include Sean Mosely, Dino Gregory, Cliff Tucker, and Adrian Bowie.

Gary Williams keeps giving these undeserving Seniors, who are losers -- and would not be on the starting 5 with any other ACC Team, chances rather than exploring his bench.

Posted by: mi6-007 | February 16, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why people are blaming the seniors. Do you expect them to turn down Maryland and go to a CAA school. Bowie and Dino weren't even in the top 150 of their class and Tucker was like #97 according to Rivals.com. It's not their fault Gary didn't recruit.

Posted by: lkfkd876 | February 16, 2011 8:18 PM | Report abuse