Posted at 12:38 PM ET, 02/11/2011

Talkin' Terps: Who wins the Maryland-Boston College game?

By Matt Bonesteel

Good afternoon.

Pretty simple yes-or-no question today. Another loss to Boston College would not look good on Maryland's NCAA tournament resume.

By Matt Bonesteel  | February 11, 2011; 12:38 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: VIDEO: Jordan Williams, Gary Williams talk about the growth of a top big man
Next: Jordan Williams among 5 ACC players to make Naismith midseason cut

Comments

yes because they dont have a choice...

shoulda beat them in dec...now they have to beat them...

hope they play like that...

Posted by: deadskin | February 11, 2011 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I like the Terps in this one. They've improved since the first meeting, while BC is struggling. Both teams have their back to the wall and need the W for a ticket to the Dance. Should be a good one.

Posted by: RITerp | February 11, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

A sweep at the hands of BC would definitely spell NIT without an ACC Tournament Championship. I don't think there's any way the Terps could lose this game. They are playing measureably better than they did in December, and have improved some of the problem areas that resulted in that home loss to BC (3-point defense and free throw shooting). It's difficult to realize that the Terps lost that game at home, and you'd have to think the Terps would be on the good side of the bubble right now without that loss.

BC is the same team they've been all year, a motion-offense that relies on 3-point shooting, and a mess of a team defensively. BC has no notable post presence offensively or defensively, and it's going to be critical that JW gets plenty of touches throughout the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see an experienced team like BC to play more than half the time in zone. However, most of the BC players are pretty slow, and should be vulnerable to drives from the guards, something the Terps have been getting really good at recently. If Tripani and Jackson are kept in check, the Terps should not have any trouble with this game...84-68 Terps

Posted by: Russtinator | February 11, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I want them to win. I don't think they will.

Posted by: petecard | February 11, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Every year in December, the Terps have this WTF moment. Last year it was the game against W&M. Not too long ago, it was Coppin St. Somehow they lose a game that makes you scratch your head and think "WTF"?

This year's December WTF was BC. The Eagles had just lost to not one but two Ivy League teams (and they weren't Princeton or Penn). Silly mental mistakes led to our loss at Comcast.

Realizing that every game matters from here on out should motivate MD to pull away from a squad who is less talented as we are. Not to mention that Chestnut Hills is not exactly a snake pit. Terps 67, BC 54.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | February 11, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I want them to win. I don't think they will.

Posted by: petecard | February 11, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

This is good news for the Terps if Pete thinks we'll lose.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 11, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I hope you are right, Barno, because almost every time I get bullish I'm wrong! But I will say I don't think it's me. They haven't beat one good team... and don't say Penn State. How can any one figure this group out?

Posted by: petecard | February 11, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I won't say Penn State because I watched that game and I don't care what Penn St does the rest of the year, they are not a good team. I will say this though...we easily could've beaten a few top 25 teams had we hit our FTs earlier in the year.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 11, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse