Posted at 12:01 PM ET, 02/ 2/2011

Talkin' Terps: Why do you hate Duke?

By Matt Bonesteel

In today's Post, Mike Wise weighed in with a column pondering why everyone hates Duke and Coach Mike Krzyzewski, "whose kids nearly all graduate, whose program never smells of probation and whose only major crime is that he wins?"

So here's your chance to vent: Why do you hate Duke?

Reasoned answers are appreciated. "Because they suck," while succinct, really doesn't advance the conversation. Besides, this classic YouTube (it's the mostly SFW verson) has that topic covered.

By Matt Bonesteel  | February 2, 2011; 12:01 PM ET
Categories:  Men's basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning links: Busy Wednesday with Maryland-Duke, Signing Day
Next: Maryland vs. Duke: New contributors have emerged for both teams

Comments

I hate Duke simply because the refs cater to them. There were so many fouls during the course of their 22pt Final Four comeback that went uncalled. I also hate Duke because they beat us alot to be honest.

Posted by: fushezzi | February 2, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

This explains it all:

The Anti Duke Manifesto

Posted by: mkbf26 | February 2, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Yuppy, elitist, smug, pompous, arrogant, nerdy d0uchebags. Let's see them win without a roster full of McDonalds high school All Americans for once.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 2, 2011 12:19 PM | Report abuse

1) They're always highly ranked and regarded. Where's the fun in beating a terrible team?

2) They flop.

3) Coach K's a whiner.

4) For every year that they are rightfully praised and win the national title on pure ability (such as last year), there are ten equivalent years where they're overpraised, over-televised, overly talked about, and overhyped. Hey, guess what? ___ isn't really as good as you think he is, especially when he doesn't get calls from the refs. (Chris Carrawell, Daniel Ewing, DeMarcus Nelson, Josh McRoberts, Jon Scheyer, Kyle Singler, etc.)

5) They flop.

Posted by: jgoldbe4 | February 2, 2011 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like you TWERPS fans are just sore losers. You wish you were half as good as Duke. When all you have left is blaming the refs, you know your pathetic!

Let's see Sweaty Williams recruit McDonalds high school All Americans. He can't.

Posted by: trjn30 | February 2, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I hate Duke because they are given just about as much as they earn. I do know that Duke works hard, and Coach K has worked hard over 3 decade to build his program, but they are given way more credit than they deserve. On the court, they get preferential treatment by the officials, they get bias coverage on the broadcast (Dukie V), and Coach K gets more latitude from officials than any college coach in history (his argueing along can account for 4-6 points per game). The get preferential treatment from the media and NCAA Tournament Committee (there's ALWAYS a regional or sub-regional site within a busride of Durham). They get blasted by a bubble team and only drop 2 spots in the polls. They have some of the most snide, cocky, holier-than-thou players in the history of college basketball that think if they haven't won a national title in their career, then something is amiss in the universe. They play a particularly unattractive brand of offensive basketball that relies primarily on the 3-point shot, which is the way mid-majors are supposed to play, not perrenial title contenders. Coach K looks more and more like their mascot every year.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 2, 2011 12:28 PM | Report abuse

You cannot like another team that has been where you are trying to go. Duke is respected but hated. We want the dynasty that their program has built. How do you do that - you must knock them off the hill - you surely cannot be nice to them. Maryland is trying to get where Duke has been. And, even though Maryland has been a top 25 team for years they have not been a top 5 team for years. Most folks, including me, get great joy out of beating a top five team when our home team is not even ranked. No love here!! But Respect!! They have earned it.

Posted by: Baller1122 | February 2, 2011 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Some people hate Duke because some people always loathe their superiors.

Posted by: 303030 | February 2, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

My freshman year I came in to UMD as a UNC fan (long story).

Then my freshman year in 2000-2001 I witnessed:

-54 seconds of horror in College park to lose in OT
-the whoopin we put on them in Durham to win by 10.
-The last second tip in by a bench player to beat us in the ACC tourney
-The 22 point come from behind win (by 10) as we watched in horror from Cole Field House

All of this, of course sparked the best night of my life - the riot that was the tongue on the envelope of hate.

Posted by: gbaby | February 2, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I hate Duke because they boast about graduation, but fail to mention their 3 year degree program for athletes.

...but the biggest reason is that I can't stand to look at the 2 sour pusses that sit on each side of the Ratface! Do Wojo and Collins think if they hang around long enough that one day the Duke job will be handed down to them?...or are they afraid to follow in the footsteps of the great Quinn Snyder, who left his cushy asst. gig at Duke to go cheat at Missouri and get forced out. He found out that when you leave Duke, the AA's don't just fall into your lap.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | February 2, 2011 12:42 PM | Report abuse

In addition to everything else above (arrogant, refs and press in their back pockets, etc)

If you go to the game tonight Matt, talk to some of the long time event staffers at the Cable Box. They'll tell you that Dook acts like they own the place. Not only can they do whatever they want, they expect you to cater to their every need, want, and desire.

And if anything should go wrong, like their fans charging into the student section to start fights with female students, it isn't their fault at all.

But here's another example, the gentleman who worked the visiting locker room at Cole Field House for years (and who has since retired) was on great terms with all the ACC teams that came into Cole, except of course for Dook. The final year of Cole, for his own personal collection, he went out, bought a basketball, and asked all the head coaches who came to play at Maryland during the final year in Cole Field House if they would please autograph this basketball for him. Coack K was the only coach who refused to sign the ball.

Posted by: CapsNut | February 2, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I hate their fans, chants, colors, mascot, students. I also hate them for the same reason why I hat the Dallas Cowboys, they're followed by a bunch of douchbag fans.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | February 2, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

trjn30's post is a great example of why MD fans hate dook.

Posted by: MDFan | February 2, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 2, 201

Posted by: Russtinator | February 2, 2011 12:28 PM

I agree with Barno's view and with some of Russinators, not all of which I reposted.

I have enormous respect for Coach K and many of his players. The student body is very hateable as is the preferntial treatment the program gets. One of the things I respect the most about Coach K is the work he has done with Team USA. The guy is a brilliant practice, game and X's and O's coach. He, or at least his program because of its success, is a great recruiter as well. After Wooden, I consider him the best coach in college basketball history.

Posted by: petecard | February 2, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I have to echo a lot of the comments already made about Duke getting way more credit than they deserve but the REAL reason I hate Duke is because...

Duke is nothing but big business for a LOT of business!

Let's see...you have a Top 5 program that brings constant revenue to the tv stations that worship the ground Coach K stands on, the brings money for tournaments in cities that generally won't see big business until March Madness, that makes Duke students feel like "gods" that they are not, that makes officials on the floor favor calls that should never go Duke's way, but hey, nothing like seeing a non-ranked team beat up on a Top 5 team and have ESPN report on the toll of death...what else?

What about the attention Duke gets so much so that the NCAA turns their attention away from teams who have bonafide ballers that NEVER get the chance to be seen on the national level because it's all about Duke, Duke, Duke...kids dreams being squahsed because some guy in whate and blue is on tv so he MUST be NBA material when the REAL players are on teams lesser known...

How about the fact that Coach K will NEVER have someone come after him that is as successful so he just won't leave the floor. I get tired of seeing this rat coach. If he is so good a coach, let's see him go over to a program like St. John's and resurrect them or maybe UCLA and bring them backk to the national spotlight. But naaaaaaaaaaaah...

The deal he has with the Duke organization is a tad bit "dirty" if you ask me and big business shields his dirt extremely well because they ALL benefit from his program winning so much.

Call it like you want but Duke is an easy team to hate just because it dumps on other kids dreams and hopes on a much larger level.

I do give Coack K this much, he gets exactly what he needs to run that well-oiled machine that is The Death-To-NCAA-Programs-If-You-Don't-Let-Us-Rule-The-Airwaves mobile.

Posted by: cbmuzik | February 2, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

The betting public is heavily favoring Duke in this game. 92% are taking Duke to win, 84% are taking Duke to cover the 4.5 pt spread. This usually bodes well for a home underdog as the public is generally very stupid.

Note that we were 14 point underdogs in Cameron a month ago and Duke was a 10 point favorite heading into the St. Johns game. So that's some respect for MD for Vegas to have it only a 4.5 pt margin against the No. 5 team in the country.

Terps Moneyline is 1.7 to 1 for those interested.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 2, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I just hate them, period. For most of the reasons already given already but, here are my top reasons:

-Arrogant
-Pompous
-Refs are in Coach K's back pocket.
-That sh*t hole they play in
-Dukie V.
-Too many damn white people, on the team and in the student body(and I'm white)
-ugly chicks
-Coach is a whiney little rat

Posted by: Section505203 | February 2, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

After living in the Carolinas for 10 years I can tell you that after a Duke loss you will never find a Duke fan. They disappear. Frontrunner fans do that. I now live in Oregon and am amazed at how many Duke fans are out here. I ask them what other teams they follow and I get alot of LA Lakers, Dallas Cowboy and NY Yankees which cements my theory that most Duke fans are idiot frontrunners with no knowledge of Duke history, I bet most of them don't even know that Cancer University is in Durham NC.
So much to hate about Duke. So little time.

Posted by: damjammer | February 2, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

-Too many damn white people, on the team and in the student body(and I'm white)

Posted by: Section505203
_________________________

Hahahaaaaa! My man...

Posted by: cbmuzik | February 2, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

They seem to have a huge fan following from people with no relationship to the school. If you ever question a Duke fan about anything, the response is always the same: you are just jealous because of our superiority. I have been to a number of games at Cameron, and have heard racist, sexist comments that have made my skin crawl.

Posted by: crabcakes | February 2, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I think a good way to understand the hatred of Duke is to compare them to UNC. Like Duke, UNC has had a lot of success over the years, several national championships, etc. They have a rich history and have certainly benefited from some favorable officiating at times. There has also been a pretty heated rivalry between UNC and MD (particularly during the Joe Smith era), and there have been times when UNC has been flat-out better than MD. But UNC isn't hated as much. I think it's primarily because UNC players and fans don't have the same level of arrogance or "holier-than-thou" mentality. UNC players and fans have a certain level of pride, as they rightfully should, but there's a difference between pride and arrogance. I’m a MD alum and a Terp fan for life, but there’s no doubt that coach K will go down as one of the greatest, and they are an incredibly accomplished program, and I think in general they earn what’s given to them. However there is an arrogance there that just makes me want to vomit.

Posted by: marylandpkp | February 2, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I respect Duke, but am inordinately jealous of their program.

I do hate Virginia, however. Talk about a soft, pompous, wine-drinking bunch...

News Flash: UVa is NOT an Ivy League institution.

Posted by: MerlinTerps | February 2, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

So much to hate about Duke. So little time.

Posted by: damjammer
___________________________

See, you and I can talk because I lived in Raleigh (played ball the whole time I was there so got around to a lot of games and arenas) for some years and had a job that got me on the Duke campus and you are SO TRUE!!! When Duke loses a game, you won't hear, see, or know DUKE exists! (on campus or in the streets) But they are very arrogant students.

I experienced how arrogant they can be firsthand...and not only that, can be EXTREMELY racist! And that's a statement from experience but it's just ignorant students who get caught up in nonsense...it can happen at any school....but Duke has a much higher percentage for that. Just ask Elton Brand how he was treated when he left Duke early for the NBA.

His own school slaughtered him over that whole ordeal!! Even Coach K was upset about it though he knew he could do nothing about it, claims to proud of them but all of a sudden you had ex-Duke players on tv talking about how important it was to stay in school for 4 years...like it really mattered when you are a star athlete. That's THEIR decision!!!

Elton Brand's staying for more time only benefited the university, NOT Elton Brand! He's done just fine, but he paved the way and put pressure on that school to stop their flam-basting students for decisions like Elton's. And actually, Coach K lost 4 players that year to the draft: Elton Brand, Trajan Langdon, Corey Maggette and William Avery.

His (Coack K) only concern was maintaining his Top 5 status in the nation and not nurturing kids to be the best they could be. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Man, let me stop typing...I could go on and on about this nut job...lol

Posted by: cbmuzik | February 2, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

At least Duke fans don't routinely throw dangerous objects at parents of players on the other team. Maryland fans are renowned for throwing hard objects at fans or parents of the opposing team. And not just Duke, but any team that plays there and beats them. I am not a Duke fan, and used to be a huge Maryland fan, until I have experienced their idiot fans up close and personal at basketball and football games. Probably the most rude fans I have ever seen in any sport, collegiate or professional.

The reason why most people hate Duke, not just Terp fans, is because they are great and have been great. They also tend to have one person that is easy to hate (Reddick, Laettner, Paulus, Battier, etc.) No one likes a team that always wins. But what is interesting is that Duke wins the right way. They don't cheat, or pay their players, or recruit kids who don't go to class. And what's even more strange is the hate for Coach K. Does anyone realize he may be the best basketball coach ever, or at least the top 3? Look what he has done with team USA. And look at the career years players are having in the NBA after playing for him (Rudy Gay, Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, etc.). In general, people are just haters, and hate what they can't have (or be)

Posted by: btisinge | February 2, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Most of the reasons have already been mentioned: the arrogance; the bias of the refs; the ugly rat-faced coach; the flopping; the feeling of entitlement; the ugliness of their cheerleaders, student body, and players (have you SEEN Sheldon Williams??); and the fact that they are always in the top 10. As fushezzi mentioned earlier, I hate them, but do respect their program and Coach K.

The hate really started for me my sophomore year when they had the comeback in the last minute. I still remember people chanting overrated, overrated. I kept yelling for people to stop but you all know how that one ended. We were able to get vindication but the loss in the Final Four when they got every call imaginable only continued to fuel the hatred.

Posted by: CYork1 | February 2, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

There is one main reason I can't stand Duke--they are always given the benefit of the doubt. Call it overrated, whatever you want. When is the last time you saw a team get clobbered by St. John's and drop only two spots in the polls? I know it was a tough week all around for the Top 10 but Duke was completely outclassed and remains in the Top 5.

That benefit of the doubt can be seen in their opponents' rankings as well. I remember the year after Maryland won the title, they had a week where they lost on the road to a tough Wake team and then beat Duke at home and moved up in the polls. About a month later Maryland beat Wake at home, lost a very close game at Durham on only two days' rest due to a snow storm that delayed the Wake game, then blew out UNC all in the same week and DROPPED in the rankings. In my mind the second stretch was considerably more impressive, but it seems all the pollsters cared about was the Duke result.

Finally, someone mentioned that Gary can't recruit All-Americans, which is true and is a problem. But there is something fishy about a program that has more All-Americans on the bench than most teams have on their entire roster. I don't know what it is, and I'm not saying Coach K is complicit, but I don't believe the program is entirely clean.

Posted by: Lumas101 | February 2, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

When MD was up by 12 points with a minute 20 seconds left, you really were "yelling for people to stop chanting overrated"? Really?? REALLY???

I'm sorry, but I find that extremely hard to believe...but if you actually saw the 10 point in 52 seconds comeback happening before it happened, Nostradamus, you need to take your talents to Las Vegas.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 2, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Barno, you feel the need to be the police on the board. Yes, I was telling people to stop. I had a bad feeling and honestly, almost a full minute is a LONG time for a team that can shoot the three. Geezus, I don't know why you feel like you know everything there is to know about everything. Give it a rest. You find much hard to believe, but despite that, things happen to disprove you. I'm sure you still find it hard to believe that Fridge is not our football coach; nevertheless, he's out of the job.

Posted by: CYork1 | February 2, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

And to clarify, I started yelling for people to stop only under a minute and when people started to crowd the bottom of the stands in preparation of storming the court. It was bad karma.

Posted by: CYork1 | February 2, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Like i said, if it's true, you need to take those talents to Vegas man. If anyone saw a 10 point comeback coming with 52 seconds left coming--something that has never in college basketball history happened before--they need to get paid off those talents. Either that, or they have 20/20 hindsight...

Posted by: Barno1 | February 2, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Suprise - I don't hate Duke. I hate the media unprofessionals like Wise who spread the word of Duke with biased coverage and unnecessary criticism of programs like Maryland. The real question Mr. Wise is what is it about Maryland that brings out so much hate in you. Duke already has the biased TV coverage with Dickie V and others and they have Wise who is just looking for a story and he kind of invents one here. Why do the media unprofessionals all follow Duke like clones and give them favorable press and publicity when covering the underdogs is the real story. Get off your knees Mr. Wise and start doing some real investigation journalism. You do not have to be another Duke lover but rather you can be at least a little independent. Find a real story next time and stop being another Duke sniffer.

Posted by: torope | February 2, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

1. The way Coach K disrespects,intimidates and talks down to the refs is appalling. No other coach in college basketball does this to that degree and gets away with it.

2. Duke players are as arrogant as Coach K, and also get away with it for the most part, because they are Duke, of course.

3. Dick Vitale. Vitale has been in the tank for Duke for so long, it's a wonder his body isn't bloated and de-composed. Chris Knocke tells a great story about a Terp game at Cameron. About an hour prior to the telecast, Vitale's grandchildren came in with his daughter to say hello. Oh, did I mention that Vitale's granddaughters were decked out in Duke cheerleader outfits? True story.

4. As a Terp grad and native Marylander, it's frankly a lot of fun to have someone as annoying as Duke to hate. It's like the Hatfield's and McCoy's; a Maryland family tradition that gets passed on from one generation to the next.

Posted by: stevestegman | February 2, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: btisinge | February 2, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to claim that Maryland fans don't have their obnoxious moments. I personally have been to many football and basketball games at other schools though, and have witnessed fan behavior that is just as poor. There are plenty specific incidents where Duke fans have crossed the line.

Posted by: crabcakes | February 2, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

There used to be a day when the above venom would have been spewed at UNC and Dean Smith. Late 80's and early 90"s, Duke was the underdog, and Dean Smith was the god-father of the ACC. Dean worked the refs then the same way Coach K does now, and got the calls accordingly. Billy Packer's love for all things Carolina was equivalent to Dukie V's obsession these days. This hatred for Duke felt now wasnt nearly like this prior to Dean Smith's retirement and Coack K's subsequent ascension to the throne of thou holiness.

Posted by: asnis715 | February 2, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I feel like I could write a thesis on why I hate Duke and it mostly has nothing to do with their actual basketball team. It's the university and it's student body including their student athletes. Duke isn't an Ivy League school not because of grades and admissions standards but generally because of the class of people. Duke regards itself as elite but it really is just a party school for rich kids. It doesn't carry the class and prestige of schools to the north. If you don't believe me, how many scandals have you seen about a Harvard student when you have the entire Deadspin controversy and the rape scandal attached to Duke. While I admit we have the most vulgar student fan base in the country it is created mostly by our hatred for this false pretense that is the Duke clean image.

So I for one, say, Duck Fuke. We see through you and that's why we beat you regularly. At these games, we want to represent everything opposite to what Duke tries to lie they are.

Posted by: raybell84 | February 2, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

My disdain for the program goes back to 1986, championship game against Louisville. Jay Bilas responds to Jeff Hall stealing the final inbounds pass by clotheslining him as the buzzer sounds. How he can be a respected reporter now is beyond me. Six years later, two words: Aminu Timberlake.

Posted by: jkuchen | February 2, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Let's discuss this graduation rate. Duke as an institution gives very little need-based aid and is an exorbitantly expensive private school, unlike most ACC schools which are public. They can use those incredible resources to help their athletes graduate by holding more sessions of classes and paying for more academic support. Their graduation rate is not due to some moral superiority...it is simple financial superiority.
Also, Duke has been chastised by the broader higher education community for recruiting high-school students (not athletes) because they have fabulously wealthy parents who may make a large donation.

Posted by: thewayout | February 2, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 2, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he was prescient, just thinking what some sane fans were thinking when students started whipping up the overrated cheer with more than a minute left in the game. I was thinking the same thing from my perspective behind the Duke basket, and while the cheer never haunted the Terps before, there was something about how early it came out that seemed forboding in that game, and CYork1 is not the only one that felt it.

I always hated that cheer, but after that game, I think most Maryland fans understand that it should not be utterred until there is no doubt about the outcome.

Posted by: Russtinator | February 2, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Several reasons, Christan Latener kicks the guy on the ground in the NCAA tourney right in front of the refs and does not even get a tech, much less tossed from the game. Another reason, 2001 Final Four, Lonnie Baxter gets called for his fifth foul while posting up Carlos Boozer in a tight game late when it was obvious that Boozer should have gotten the call against him which would have been his fifth and Maryland would have been to 2 NCAA finals instead of one. Refs cheat for duke. Just last year against Butler the refs bailed duke out of a tight game. A bunch of ticky tack calls against Butler and a bunch of no calls against duke. Nothing against coach K, Grant Hill or Boozer. Hated JJ Reddick then and now, he is a punk, Hated Bobby Hurley and Jayson Williams then but respected them for being great College players. Hated Wojo for that damm slapping the floor on defense when you know he could not check a hat and coat at a restaurant if he worked the coat check room. Also hated that sissy hill kid for crying OMG!! like a little girl when latener hit the shot against UK. Was a great shot though. Would have hated them for the Gerald Henderson elbow to Tyler Hansborough but then again it was UNC so who cares. I would have sent a goon after his knees the next game if I were coach Williams.

Posted by: ged0386 | February 2, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't HATE Duke. I hate losing to Duke. but I hated laettner and currently LOATHE Nolan Smith.

Lets eliminate their number one seed tonight, or at least send them out west. I do hate UVA and UNC remains a bigger evil than Duke.

CKTR gets on my nerves, but I respect him and his results.

Regards-

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 2, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh yea, hate the Cameron Crazies. If I were playing for UM and were losing big late I would smack one of them.

Posted by: ged0386 | February 2, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: trjn30 |

Duke fans boo and whine about every call they dont get or get called on. Talk about sour losers? Henderson elbows Hansborough just because they were losing the game against UNC. We wish we were half as overrated every year as duke. Must be nice to have Dicky V as your personal hype man.

Posted by: ged0386 | February 2, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Maryland grad, Class of '79 here. In '78 five of us were on a road trip and had an accident on the interstate just off the Duke campus. One of my traveling companions happened to be from Panama and was a frat brother. We asked for shelter at the Duke chapter. We were turned away at their froont door because we had a "Spic" with us. I have hated Duke ever since. Racists - YES. Arrogant - YES. Whiny rat faced coach - YES. Crappy location - YES. Need I go on???

Posted by: nuclearjim | February 2, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I would echo a lot of what has been said:

- How the national media bend over backwards for and overwhlemingly favor Duke, especially when over the last few years they've shown themselves to be a very, very good team (but also very beatable) but certainly not a #1, and not worth the constant national broadcast games they get.

- The deference given to them by refs.

- How they have become the standard by which all other teams and fans (Cameron Crazies, etc.) against which everything else is measured.

- A simple desire to see other teams in the Final Four mix every year. (I feel the same way about Michigan State, and am beginnng to feel this way about OH State).

Is it worth pointing out that the one local team that has consistently beaten Duke over the past several years has been the HOYAS? Hee hee.

Posted by: njacobs | February 2, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I hate Duke because their fans are the most disrespectful, nasty, dirty, stinking bunch of college students in the United States. They are rude to the point you want to stick a sword in their mouths. Get it?!

Posted by: barbarawalder | February 2, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

As someone asked earlier, the real question is why does Mike Wise hate Washington area teams? He wants to change the Redskins name. And now he can't understand why the Terps hate Duke? We don't need him to be a homer but these two offenses should disqualify anyone from being a sports columnist in DC.

Posted by: Madalex | February 2, 2011 5:28 PM | Report abuse

The enmity. What is your object of choice to burn in the name of Duke?

Or are you just doing a modern day sacrifice to the god who bestowed Saint Mike K upon us? If so, thanks then!

I understand your hatred of the frontrunning fans who have no connection to the school and have never set foot on our beautiful campus. But frontrunning fans once flocked to the Redskins and were willing Byrd for a few years weren't they? So you assign all kinds of negative sterotypes on the student body? They are kids, smart kids, yet still kids.

Our campus IS beautiful compared to the vacuous College Park which is home of the UMUC moreso than UMCP.

Parking tickets don't even enter my memories of 8 semesters in Durham, but they are my main impression of the three summer sessions spent at MD. Yes Durham is ugly, but have you taken a look at Rte. 1? College Park is fugly in its own right.

barbarawalder - what do you think of the CP student section? Disrespectful, nasty, dirty, and stinking perhaps?

nuclearjim - I don't disagree with your story and humbly apologize on behalf of my classmates that turned you and your brothers away.

And to all of you who like to point out that Duke is not an ivy league school, you are right. MD is a better academic institution than Duke in every respect imaginable. Do you believe that?

We had our wake up call on Sunday, tonight we take it out on MD. And please burn things at the sanctioned bonfire instead of Rte. 1 & Knox. Have a great riot!

Posted by: Duke-Rulz-1995 | February 2, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

As a Duke fan (and Duke graduate) I ventured into this posting page with a large amount of trepidation. But what I found wasn't so bad. There's the usual 'Duke gets all the calls' and 'Duke students are all rich rude elitists' and 'Coach K looks like a rat' but really nothing new has been added to the argument in a good 10 years. The 'Gone in 54 Seconds' game was 10 years and one week ago tonight. Coincidence?

Does Duke get all the calls? Of course not, but there is no convincing some people of that. Is Duke full of rich, elitists? Not in my experience. I'm from Durham originally and I always like to point out that the kids in my class who drove BMWs to high school all went to Carolina. Duke isn't the hometown team even in it's hometown. There are more Carolina graduates in Durham county than there are Duke graduates in the whole state, so, accusing a media bias towards Duke is a bit silly. Duke can win some big games, but if Carolina is playing the same night the local news and newspaper headlines will lead with the light blue squad. And ESPN? Remember that 'Duke Boy' commercial with Jay Bilas? Think that would have flown if they'd called Hubert Davis 'Carolina Boy'? Really?

Calling Duke's cheerleaders and their female undergraduate students ugly is just mean. Or perhaps I should call it rude? Maybe elitist? How about pathetic?

I have taken a lot of crap personally from people who think it's perfectly all right to tell me, when they find out I'm a Duke grad, what 'you people' are like. Are there rude Duke fans? Absolutely. Do we have all the rude fans. I can assure you that we don't even come close. I have also been told by 5 different individuals (yes, I'm keeping count) that I'm 'the nicest Duke fan they've ever met'. Not sure how to take that. I usually ask how many Duke fans they've met. It's often not a large number.

I can understand hating a team that's ripped your heart out or that is your rival. That's understandable. It's what sports are for. It's why I hate Carolina. But try as I might, I've never been able to muster hatred for Maryland. I rooted for the Maryland team to win it all in 2002 and I've always thought Juan Dixon was one of the all time class acts in the ACC. I also understand that one of the reasons Maryland fans hate Duke so much is I'm not the only one who just can't hate you back.

Posted by: bluecloud1 | February 2, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

So in a sport full of hard-scrabble stories of people using basketball to pull themselves up by their bootstraps... we're supposed to root for the rich white kids?

Posted by: someguy100 | February 2, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I could talk about all the things I hate about Duke- from the coach to the clowns in the stands to Vitale's inane rants that have nothing to do with the game-- but that would be fruitless.

Why ask why? Does Mike Wise really expect us to go into a campfire circle and sing Kum Ba Yah with these a-holes? Does anybody ask a Michigan fan why he hates Ohio State? Does a Longhorn fan have to embrace a Sooner? Why don't all those people in Alabama stop screaming at each other "Roll Tide, War Eagle!"

Because it's a rivalry, stupid. It doesn't matter what the other team has accomplished-- there is NO LOVE for Duke. And yes, whoever that Facebook Flunkie is that made that idiotic page, the fact that you even have to acknowledge us shows that there is a rivalry!

I HATE DUKE BECAUSE I CAN!

Posted by: ecglotfelty | February 2, 2011 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Douchie Duke has no class. One of their players broke Tyler Hansborough's nose. They whine.

Only a douchie would troll its rival's websites and post things.

Oh and Coach K not squeaky clean either. Corey Maggette anyone?

Posted by: dc_attorney | February 2, 2011 10:16 PM | Report abuse

also, how about articles like this one. Its not enough that Duke is better at basketball, they are also BETTER PEOPLE THAN YOU!

Posted by: someguy100 | February 2, 2011 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Why do we hate Duke? Because Kyle Singler looks like the Snow Miser. Don't believe me?

All that is missing is the jersey.

Posted by: dc_attorney | February 2, 2011 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Good night Terp fans. Have a nice evening.

Posted by: ajaxthewonderdog | February 2, 2011 11:12 PM | Report abuse

And the Blue Devils have now dished out a couple more reasons for Maryland fans to hate them this season, haven't they?

Comment threads like these are always good for a chuckle. The best part is how nearly all the fans (a few honest folks accepted) always claim the hatred stems from pretty much anything they can think of EXCEPT what's obvious to everyone -- Duke thumps your rear-end more regularly than anyone else on the hardwood and is exactly where you wish your program was when you grow up.

Particularly funny are the people who claim Duke's arrogance has something to do with the hatred, as if the athletes of any program/franchise on top of its sport have ever been praised for being humble and beloved.

You've now been owned twice again this year, Terp fans. Hate away!

Posted by: fanzee71 | February 2, 2011 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Dookies are spoiled trust fund babies.

Posted by: dc_attorney | February 6, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse