Posted at 2:48 PM ET, 03/ 2/2011

Maryland AD Kevin Anderson to hire chief of staff

By Steve Yanda

Maryland Athletic Director Kevin Anderson will hire a chief of staff by the end of next week whose first primary task will be to update the athletic department’s strategic plan, senior associate athletic director Randy Eaton said Wednesday.

The athletic department’s strategic plan has not been revised since it was created roughly two and a half years ago, Eaton said, and with the financial outlook of the department appearing grim over the next five years, Anderson felt it necessary to hire someone who could step back from the day-to-day operations and focus solely on big picture topics.

“What it’s going to be is somebody that’s going to come in and is going to be helping all of us in all of the different areas in the planning process,” Eaton said. “It’s one thing that most organizations fall well short of, and that has been Kevin’s repeated goal with this hire is to have someone helping move things forward while the rest of us are just trying to get to the end of the day.”

The chief of staff will not necessarily serve as the athletic department’s second in command under Anderson, though he or she will be one of eight people in the department who report directly to the athletic director. Five senior staff members, as well as football coach Randy Edsall and men’s basketball coach Gary Williams, also report directly to Anderson.

However, on the department’s organizational flow chart, the chief of staff position – at least initially – will have no lines beneath it.

“It won’t have any direct day-to-day responsibilities for any support units or any sports,” Eaton said.

The chief of staff also eventually will work with each support unit and sport to devise what will amount to a management action plan, which will affect each segment’s day-to-day operation.

But for the first six to 12 months – or, as Eaton put it, “however long it takes to get it done” – the chief of staff’s efforts will be centered on updating the department’s strategic plan.

“Strategic plans are meant to be fluid, and circumstances change,” Eaton said. “You have different information to base decisions on. So if the information that you’re utilizing to make decisions changes, more than likely your decision is going to change. We need to be able to reflect that in our strategic plan.

“It could be very minor edits; it could be a major overhaul. You’ve got to dig out and see what your fundamental decision-making – the strategies may remain the same in the decision-making, but the underlying reasoning to make that decision may have changed.”

Eaton is chairing a six-member search committee charged with vetting candidates for the position. Maryland fielded more than 50 applications for the job, according to Eaton, and 10 of those applicants are current or former athletic directors at the Division I level. Eaton said the hiring process began in mid-December, shortly before the department announced the buyout of former football coach Ralph Friedgen.

Over the past week, the search committee – which consists of three athletic department administrators, two head coaches and a campus administrator – conducted in-person interviews on campus with three candidates.

The final interview took place Tuesday, and Eaton said he planned to speak with Anderson on Wednesday afternoon to discuss the candidates. The search committee will provide Anderson the name of the candidate it feels most comfortable with, and Anderson will make the final decision on the hire.

Maryland wants to have the chief of staff to begin the job by April 1 so that he or she can be on board for the final quarter of the fiscal year.

By Steve Yanda  | March 2, 2011; 2:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alyssa Thomas named ACC rookie of the year
Next: OPEN THREAD: Maryland at Miami

Comments

White males need not apply for this position. Well, you can apply, but you'll be wasting your time. The school isn't interested in hiring white males at this time. Please try back later.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 2, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Is this normal for an AD to have a Chief of Staff? Did Debbie Yow have one?

Seems a bit much to me, this guy isnt a Senator, but I want to hold off until I know if this is a normal position in an athletic department.

Posted by: jpfterps | March 2, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

By the way, this is really old news. MD has been advertising this position for months. They have specifically been urging "women and minorities" to apply. Wonder why that is?

Posted by: Barno1 | March 2, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Barno,
Do you have any new material?

Posted by: break20 | March 2, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

It's not "old news" to the majority of people who read this blog that don't check the UMD jobs site every two hours. Do you just type "university of maryland athletics" into google every morning and click on every link in and endless loop?

Posted by: marylandarlington | March 2, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey it was new to me too, but it's still old news since it's been out there for months.

As for new material, sure, I've got some. How's this:

Scroll down to the very end, the last line is pretty clear: "Women and minorities are encouraged to apply."

Gee, what does the Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 have to say about that: "It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer...to print or cause to be printed or published any notice or advertisement relating to employment indicating any preference based on race, color, religion, sex..."

Wonder what would happen if UMD advertised this job by stating "whites and men are encouraged to apply". Wonder if this would cause any uproar.

Ah the double standards.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 2, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Barno,
I've seen similar language in plenty of jobs I've applied. You have played the race and gender card plenty of times here. Your material is getting really stale.

Posted by: break20 | March 2, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

The "women and minorities are encouraged to apply" line has been on applications everywhere for everything for a long time. It does not say "women and minorities will be given preference" so don't argue that it does. I'm not sure whether you're implying you've never seen that phrase before or not, but if so, you haven't seen many applications. Trying to imply that this language is specific to big, bad, affirmative action-loving University of Maryland is dumb and irresponsible.

Please find a new talking point.

Posted by: marylandarlington | March 2, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

break20, Please. I have never in my life "played the race card." That is a laughable accusation. You seem to fundamentally misunderstand what that phrase means. I am unequivocally against the playing of the race card. I have, however, had it played against me many times--right here on this very blog as a matter of fact...by those who don't have any other counter-argument to defend UMD's use of racial preferences other than to scream racism at those who try to expose it.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 2, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Please find a new talking point.
---------------------------

Dumb and irresponsible?

Look, I understand if you don't follow these issues all that closely. Most people don't. But don't attack me just because I want the school to take a colorblind approach in hiring, promotions, admissions, scholarships etc. OF COURSE that legally questionable line exists in a vast number of politically correct college and university employment postings (as well as other places). But the EEOC has put schools on notice in recent years that this kind of language is discouraged. At some point in the not too distant future, you will see that line be ruled unconstitutional at publicly funded schools.

Last but not least, I'm not interested in having the whole affirmative action debate again...that wasn't the reason for my original comment.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 2, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, of course. You're not interested in the debate, you're just interested in posting your agenda on every thread and then not being challenged by anyone. This should have been obvious.

But seriously. If you have such a problem with the hiring practices, WHAT are you doing about it? Posting your saracastic complaining remarks about affirmative action on a sports blog is like complaining to a brick wall. You aren't accomplishing anything here, so why do you continue? Do you see other people on here writing about the legality of gay marriage? No, because it's not the venue. You need to take it elsewhere or start a letter-writing campaign, or try to have meetings with administrators, or protest or something. But all you are doing is repeating the same tired stuff on here to a bored audience who wants to talk about sports.

I mean, I guess I'm just confused. Your views are abundantly clear to everyone who reads this blog. So...?

Posted by: marylandarlington | March 2, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"And Break20, as someone who never attended the University Of Maryland, I can see why you have no interest in exposing their multi-faceted, politically correct, discrimination. But as someone who holds a diploma from UMD, I am very interested in seeing the school put an end to their penchant for picking winners and losers based on skin color."
-->I guess since I don't have a Maryland degree, I should have no interest in anything related to the school. May I point out to you I have lived in Maryland my whole life. My mother and both of her brothers graduated from the school. I grew up going to Cole Field House and Byrd Stadium. My family currently has season tickets to Byrd and I went to all but one of those games.

And with attendance doing so well with at Byrd and Comcast, I guess they don't really need anymore fans. Maybe I shouldn't renew my football package.

Screw all that, I still have loyalty to the Terps.

Posted by: break20 | March 2, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see the same, tired, UMD only likes minorities argument going on yet again.

Never gets tiring reading it.

Of course what do I know, I'm white and went to UMD. They must've thought I was hispanic or something......

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 2, 2011 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Barno,
When was the last time you applied for a job? If you have a applied for one in the last decade, you'll see the woman and/or minorities line in plenty of applications.

Posted by: break20 | March 2, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Shoot, if anything Gary is part of the problem. He's always had more african americans on his team than hispanics/whites/asians/pacific islanders/indians/native americans, etc.

Guess Gary is all about afirmitive action too.

Boo Gary Williams for giving into the 21st Century PC. He's probably part of the dreaded LIBERAL MEDIA too

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 2, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: marylandarlington | March 2, 2011 4:55 PM
=======

Not too bad of a point/question.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 2, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I didnt know that the UMD athletic department had extra $$$ laying around

Posted by: TerpfanMA | March 2, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Yikes...take a look on the umterps website at the Athletic Dept...it is HUGE! Even HUGER than G Rection!.....do you realize we have a " Director of Character Education"? How about 2 "Coordinators of Major Gifts" and 1 "Director of Gifts"......

Posted by: TerpfanMA | March 2, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Barno, since we are no longer allowed to be MD fans since we didnt go there, can you please tell us what your prestigious degree from MD got you? What do you do for a living? Just curious......Thanks, the notallowed to be a MD fan :)

Posted by: cm88 | March 2, 2011 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Barno....evidence, please. Evidence. Please show me the evidence that Anderson was 1) not qualified for the job, and 2) there were more qualified applicants in his hiring pool. Encouraging women and minorities to apply is not evidence of discrimination. It's no more or less offensive than any job posting saying "We're an equal employment opportunity employer".

Are you about to use the "reverse discrimination" card? Because the Supreme Court doesn't recognize that phrase.

As I wrote several threads ago, your evidence of Anderson's Affirmative Action hiring is based on what? Just the color of his skin? Or is it based on the supposition that there had to be other qualified candidates in the applicant pool because he's been a pretty poor AD to this point in time?

Your first post on here is quite offensive. You imply that an entire university system is more concerned with Affirmative Action than it is with performance. Yet you present no evidence, aside from your own opinion, that this is the case. None. You impugn the character of every single person involved in the hiring process at Maryland. Is everyone involved in this grand PC conspiracy? Or is it orchestrated from the top?

And last I checked, what are the ethnic backgrounds of Maryland's head coaches?

2 of the 11 mens sports have black head coaches (wrestling and cross country). 3 of the 14 womens sports have black head coaches (competitive cheer, track and field, and cross country...and the mens XC coach is the HC of those last 2 sports). Are the 3 people of color in HC positions all Affirmative Action hires, too? Or just some? Or just Anderson? And did Anderson's previous employers all hire him as an Affirmative Action hire, too?

The only conclusion I draw from Anderson wanting a chief of staff to focus on strategic planning is that it's more evidence he doesn't know what he's doing. It's a massive waste of money in a university system that has furloughed employees and eliminated jobs. They could pay some business professors to do a strategic plan for a one-time $50K fee instead of a permanent position.

But you want to focus on your political conspiracy instead. Good luck to you.

Posted by: WheelsRI | March 2, 2011 6:19 PM | Report abuse

"What do you do for a living? Just curious..."

I work for an organization that studies racial and other civil rights issues and have looked very closely at Maryland (among other schools). The public is largely unaware of the degree to which schools like Maryland engage in racial discrimination. Clearly there are those on this blog that are sick of hearing about it, most of whom either are pro-politically correct "diversity" preferencess, or those deny that they exist in the first place at Maryland. I get that. But what I don't get is those that claim that the Washington Post's maryland terrapin blog is only about on the court/field stuff and nothing about the hiring practices. To those, I say excuse me but an upcoming hire which is posted on this blog by Steve Yanda is not the place to talk about the school's hiring practices?

And as for Poop's comment about being white and how he was still able to get into UMD (so presumable this somehow means that the school doesn't engage in heavy racial preferences in admissions). Sorry Poop, facts are facts. Some minority groups have a much better chance of gaining admission to UMD with lower test scores and lower SATs than other groups. This is not debatable, regardless of whether you got in or not.

To UMD administrators, it all depends on what your skin color is. And I think this is a perfectly suitable place for readers--and MD alumni specifically--to read about it.

Go Terps

Posted by: Barno1 | March 2, 2011 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Okay, fair enough.

Now, wanna address this pretty, pretty, pretty good question:

"But seriously. If you have such a problem with the hiring practices, WHAT are you doing about it? Posting your saracastic complaining remarks about affirmative action on a sports blog is like complaining to a brick wall.

Posted by: marylandarlington | March 2, 2011 4:55 PM "

So, what are you actually doing about it?

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 2, 2011 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Can anybody confirm if Debbie yow had a CofS? All I wanted to know

Posted by: jpfterps | March 2, 2011 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Just waiting for Barno's next statement..."white power"....yikkeess. Good luck with all that Barno.

Back to a more fun conversation,,,Md is getting beat up by powerful Miami, go Gary!

Posted by: cm88 | March 2, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Poopy, didn't you hear? He conveniently works for an "organization that studies racial and other civil rights issues." So he's an expert on all of this. Although this should have been obvious because he is an expert on everything about Maryland! And he is using his expertise to school all of us athletics blog commenters on these political minefields.

Consider the U.S. officially changed for the better!

Posted by: marylandarlington | March 2, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if Kevin Anderson was an affirmative action hire... HE IS A TERRIBLE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR!!!

HECK HE COULD SHARE MY LAST NAME AND I'D FEEL THE SAME WAY!!!

Posted by: MarylandNeedsToDitchTheAllCarolinaConference | March 2, 2011 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Marylandarlington...great post, I actually started laughing when I read that "description" of what he does...the kid is pure entertainment :)

Posted by: cm88 | March 2, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Wonder who the Secretaries of State and Interior are going to be.

Posted by: randysbailin | March 2, 2011 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barno please give us a breakdown of all UMD employees down the racial and gender lines so we can see where your facts are coming from?

Posted by: heatseeker690069 | March 2, 2011 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Barno= angry white short kid that got picked on in HS, and now has a college degree but cant find a job that pays over $40K, so his Napoleon complex is kicking in and now the Angry white kid needs to find an excuse for his failures in the real world, so he turns to racial and socio-economic excuses to place the blame, instead of looking in the mirror at the true failure, very sad :(

Posted by: cm88 | March 2, 2011 8:38 PM | Report abuse

It would seem, logically, that Ms. Yow did not have a chief of staff, since the whole tone of the article was that this was something new. Clearly, nobody has been doing what this person will be.

Once you learn a little more about context and logical thinking, you'll really start to understand a lot more of what you read! Good luck to you, it's good that you are trying, your parents must be proud of what you've been able to accomplish!

Posted by: mike8 | March 2, 2011 9:12 PM | Report abuse

The University of Maryland ought to be ashamed of itself for allowing one of its' employees to make such a remark. It is wordy, it is grammatically incorrect, it is vague. It is a run on sentence. In short it is everything that I was taught at the U of Md not to say in freshman English.

How does an institution of higher learning tolerate such babble from its' employees?

Posted by: muddapucker | March 2, 2011 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I nominate a lifetime Terp. Ralph Friedgen.

Posted by: jburnetti | March 2, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

People ... people, can't we all just get along?

First off, barno, ease up. You aren't sounding as appealing as you usually do. Saying "affirmative action hire" 47 different ways isn't convincing anyone of anything.

Also, we need to give Anderson more of a chance than this. His getting some high-level help is a good sign. What is a bad sign is that the title "Chief of Staff" isn't for day-to-day putting out fires, so it's wrong. But that is minor.

What's REALLY unnerving is that an AD shouldn't farm out any long-term strategizing. He can farm out staff management to concentrate on the strategizing himself. Long-term direction is the province of the Univ Pres and the AD.

(Btw, Yow was weak from the get go on the long-term stuff--having us play a home game against FSU down in Florida--what does THAT say?)

Second off, MarylandNeedsToDitchTheAllCarolinaConference, I'm staring to come back around to your name's way of thinking. I first agreed with you a few years after we took down South Carolina 31-30, in 1970, causing THEM to secede from the ACC. It was when McMillen, Elmore, Trimble etc went down to UVA as sophs and lost big on the road. It broke our season-opening win streak and irritated the bleep out of me.

I'm still a little P.O.d and am currently ranting against Duke flopping and their historical floppers as weakening our already-toilet-circling conference. How can the state of six-toed North Korealina STILL run the bleep bleep ACC?

3rd off, what a game down there in the heart of Miami basketball country. Well over 200 people in attendance--I believe I heard the ref shush a heckler saying "I heard you the first ten times. I KNOW I'm overweight."

4th off ... 4th off ... ahh forget it.

Look we're all Terps here, and we all want what's best for the program. How to get back where we belong is the issue.

I will say one thing--like or dislike Friedgen, like or dislike Anderson, that's our business, and it's all debatable.

But, I DO NOT want to hear anyone parroting that deceitful drooler Mike Wise on this issue. THAT guy is pretending to know things he doesn't know.

He showed himself back with the Roethlisberger tweets. The fact he wasn't hammered out of the journalism profession is disgusting. Journalists need to be so so far above reproach--if they nuzzle untruths ... at best he PLAYED with the Post's integrity ... to pee all over us.

What the Post is saying by keeping Wise on is that there's degrees of integrity.

Not in journalism. You either have integrity or it's not integrity.

Posted by: OldDad | March 2, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cm88 | March 2, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I have to respond to this post because it is just plain ignorant.  Whether you agree with his politics or not, is it so awful that he advocates for a colorblind society?  That is hardly a "racist" stance.

Posted by: H1Dynasty | March 2, 2011 10:45 PM | Report abuse

muddapucker: you are right. Its' sad that a school could fail to teach its' employees about proper grammar, especially when its' freshman English class is so excellent. Its' essential that you keep up the good work and continue to pass judgment on others. Fortunately, its' clear that you never make mistakes, so its' unlikely that anyone will ever have reason to pass judgment on you.

Posted by: amiller216 | March 3, 2011 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Based on some of the boneheaded moves that Kevin Anderson has made this year, it's clear that UMD either needs a new strategy, or needs to execute the current one better.

I can't see how getting Anderson another assistant is going to help.

Maybe they can get a copy of Tom Cruise's mission statement from "Jerry McGuire".

Posted by: postfan1 | March 3, 2011 2:22 AM | Report abuse

From a budget perspective, isn't providing Kevin Anderson a Chief of Staff (so he can play more golf with the boys at Under Armour) the same as denying a few extra scholarships to UM student athletes?

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | March 3, 2011 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Anderson has been the worst AD The University of Maryland has ever had in terms of bad press. Whoever he hires should have extensive PR experience. Kevin's hiring process needs to be reexamined as it appears he just does not think things through before making decisions. Terp fans have been let down by his hiring decisions. He needs better PR more than a strategic plan. Hire a financial analyst and pay him/her 100K instead of a Chief of Staff for 300k.

Posted by: torope | March 3, 2011 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Here we go again with 100+ posts from complainers...

Posted by: mf12284 | March 3, 2011 9:10 AM | Report abuse

H1Dynasty, sorry but its an ignorant statement to think that socio-economic factors do not effect women or people of different skin colors, other than whites, still in today's society. There is still a ton of racism, if you dont believe it, take a short trip to AZ or the Carolina's some day. Yes, its much better than 20-30 years ago, but it still impacts hiring practices and key decision making in big business, small business, and in every day life. So for someone to fight for an equal decision making process based on skin color or gender, when its just not reality yet, he is either ignorant to the facts or racist/insecure.

Posted by: cm88 | March 3, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I hope this new chief of staff has the stones to stand up to Gary's bullying ways.

Posted by: sjp879 | March 3, 2011 9:40 AM | Report abuse

How about a new athletic director?

Posted by: ams1986 | March 3, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

In an effort to place the inordinately criticized tenure of Kevin Anderson in context I bring you my version of

Terp Athletic Directors in Historical Perspective

Geary Eppley

Confiscated as much of an entire Diamondback issue as he could to prevent people from finding out about life in female dorms in 1953 (something I'd kind of like to know more about except for the fact that my mother lived in one of those female dorms in 1953)

Was interrupted before finishing the sentence "As a member of the faculty, I am not over [sic] enthusiastic about bowls ..." which was why they put pee troughs in both Cole Field House and Byrd Stadium

Married Elizabeth Flenner in 1925 just because he felt sorry for her having to go through life with the last name "Flenner"

Helped found the ACC in reaction to our being sanctioned for playing in the 1952 Sugar bowl

Noted as early as 1951 that "there is a lot of talk going around about the evils of bowl games...." which irritated the NCAA into increasing the number of bowls from 5 to 173, coincidentally half the number of current collegiate football teams (346) with at least 22 players with a pulse

As recently as 2010 rolled over in his grave because of the unstemmed success of Duke's flopping in front of innocent children

Next up: Lew Perkins, and how he managed the NCAA investigation into Bob Wade's lending Rudy Archer his car to get to class into a near death penalty for the basketball program (hint: the NCAA invented the term "lack of institutional control" just to apply it to us)

Posted by: OldDad | March 3, 2011 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Can we please get away from this affirmative action debate and talk about the real issue facing the Terps? Namely, what an idiot Kevin Anderson is. Can't wait til he fires Gary.

Posted by: aviscardo | March 3, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

In an effort to place the inordinately criticized tenure of Kevin Anderson in context I bring you the next in a series of

Terp Athletic Directors in Historical Perspective

Debbie Yow

Dropped out of East Carolina for poor grades ("I spent too much time partying..."), the first and only time any student ever got poor grades at East Carolina, not to mention ever having to drop out of ECU because of poor grades

In 1972, after seeing The Godfather "swore vengeance" on the University of Maryland when someone wearing a Terp sweatshirt laughed at her while she attempted to "party" (hint: "Yoohoo" and "Moon Pies" were involved)

Furthered her plans for revenge in 1994 by getting hired as Terp AD. Immediately had us play a home football against FSU down in Florida. Prozac sales spiked among Terp fans.

Hired Ron Vanderlinden as football coach. Prozac sales spiked again.

Eventually remembered who it was who laughed at her trying to party in 1972. A witness remembers overhearing Yow ask about "that very good looking boy who I think played point for Maryland in the 1960s."

Also in 1994, decided soon after to carry out her revenge: "You know, that scrawny point guard who laughed at me back in 1972? I have a chance to make his life miserable."

In 2000 decided to carry out her secret liflelong desire to expand Affirmative Action to "you know, the oppressed bloated people of the world" and fired Vanderlinden in order to hire Ralph Friedgen. Local Prozac sales among Terp fans began a temporary 3-year drop that ended only when the last of Vanderlinden's recruits were gone from the team.

2001, 2002, 2003 Renegotiated Ralph's contract into the top NCAA levels after he told her stories about how he was "gonna go coach the Giants" "go coach the Buccaneers" and "go coach the new NFL team they're gonna put back in LA."

2010 resigned as AD after Ralph "accidentally" stepped on her toe "again." ("It weren't no damn accident, it was the second time he done it. He thinks it's funny. Look at my toe! Just look at it!")

2010 Took the AD job at NC State ("ain't no problems with no toe stepping down here. Everybody's real careful, on account of all the extra toes and everything.")

Posted by: OldDad | March 3, 2011 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Terp Athletic Directors in Historical Perspective

William Cobey

In 1967 hired Bob Ward as football coach, former consensus All-American at offensive guard AND nose tackle despite weighing 185 lbs.

Ward's 1967 team gets shut out 3 times, scores 46 points in 9 games, and loses all of them. Ward's 1968 team goes 2-8, the team revolts and complains to Cobey. Cobey scratches his head and thinks "185 lbs, two-way All-American guard on an arguably National Championship football team, I quit."

Next up: Jim Kehoe, tough enough to fire Bob Ward, smart enough to hire Lefty and Jerry Claiborne, Charter Memebr of Old-School Haircut Hall of Fame.

Posted by: OldDad | March 3, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"I don't care if you think Affirmative Action is a bad policy or not. You can argue that all day long. All I'd like to know is what evidence are you using, specific evidence, to form the opinion that Anderson was an Affirmative Action hire?"

I have explained this numerous times. There is approximately a 1% chance that the school ended up with 2 black finalists for the job by accident, given how few black applicants there are in the pool (those with college degrees, at least 30+ years of age, with at least 10 years in the field etc).

It is impossible to "prove" that this was an affirmative action hire without being involved in the hiring process itself. That's the beauty of affirmative action...you can practice racial discrimination all you want and no one can ever prove you are doing it. And when they accuse you of it, you can just call them racists (see some of the comments on this thread).

For the 100th time, if you believe a university that has been exposed for giving heavy preferential treatment to black and Hispanic applicants in admissions, that has been exposed by federal judges in knocking down their racially exclusive scholarships, that has been exposed by their own former AD by admitting that "affirmative hiring is part of our very fabric here at Maryland", who admitted that a head coach in waiting was "only promoted because he was a qualified minority"...if you truly believe a school like this accidentally ended up with 2 black finalists for their AD position, then you are living in a fantasy world and are only kidding yourself. You can deny this reality all you want and call me a racist as many times as you feel necessary, but it won't change the fact that the U of Maryland practices politically correct racial discrimination on a regular basis.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow, complete socio-economic ignorance at an alltime level, congrats Barno! Done with you.

Posted by: cm88 | March 3, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Socio-economic ignorance? How so? Because I reject race-based hiring? You state that racism still exists, as if anyone in their right mind would deny that. Yes, it does still exist...and here's a newsflash: it always will. But the Supreme Court has long rejected the idea that institutions can take race into consideration to make up for past discrimination. So you just backed yourself into a corner with a non-starter: that we need affirmative action to make up for the effects of racism. Maybe you don't realize this, but the pro-affirmative action crowd came up with a new argument to defend racial preferences after the Baake decision. It's called the "diversity" rationale. Look it up smart guy.

Yes, there is someone here who is quite ignorant...someone who needs a history lesson. But it ain't me.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Barno, I am on here for fun/sports debates.

Not going to get into a very deep/long debate about an issue that stems 100's of years and isnt about to be fixed in a period of 10-30 years in the US. It does not and will not need to exist at an institutional level which is my point but it still does. Yes, it will probably always exist on both sides at a individual level.

But it will still take years, at least another generation, to play "catch up" for all the damage that was done to people of color and women, sorry but "they" dont have the same advantages at a Socio-economic level you and I do, due to years of oppression/racism, etc.

I once thought that they did, but a very intelligent Soc. Professor, did a wonderful job of opening my ignorant mind, I wish the best for you in your expansion.

Now back to MD,,,GARY sucks :) haha

Posted by: cm88 | March 3, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to suggest Ralph Friedgen for the Chief of Staff position.

Posted by: garyolney | March 3, 2011 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Alright CM88. Just one final point...it hasn't been 10-30 years of politically correct discrimination. This week, coincidentally, actually marks the 50 year anniversary of the phrase affirmative action...first introduced by JFK. A couple years later LBJ would put into motion the beginning of race-based hiring/quotas/etc.

Alright, back to terps on the field commentary.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 3, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Can the Post set-up a CM88 and Barno debate?

Posted by: break20 | March 3, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Break20...hahaha, that would get ugly and reaaallly annoying to everyone :)

We all love MD basketball, some want change, some dont.

I am actually freaking depressed, again, this year about MD basketball, so it comes out in anger, sorry everyone :)

Ok, enough mushy stuff, I hate GAry!!!!!!!! haha

Posted by: cm88 | March 3, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you just summarized the heart of every conspiracy theory: because it can't be proven or disproved it remains a possibility. Look at the Birthers running around today using that same rationale.

You presented nothing but loosely tied together attributions as evidence. You're drawing a straight line through points that happened over a span of years or decades, and your ultimate argument boils down to: oh come on, you know it's true.

A quote from Debbie Yow is all you have. You also implicitly agreed that Anderson was in fact qualified. You didn't answer any other questions I posed, and you didn't answer them because you can't. You admitted as much. In the end, you don't know anything at all about Anderson's hire. You're basing your your view on a prejudice against affirmative action and on a hindsight bias. I doubt you'd be complaining about Anderson had he done a better job.

That's why people call you a racist when you lead off a discussion with an accusation that you have no proof to support.

You also misrepresent Affirmative Action. It's pretty clear: 2 equally qualified candidates, if one comes from a protected class, preference is given. Was Anderson equally qualified? It sure looks like he was qualified, or every other employer he had passed him on without any merit to justify it.

I get that you think protected classes are absurd, but if this country didn't have the history it does have, we wouldn't need things like Affirmative Action. If our Constitution was actually enforced, we wouldn't need a CRA. But it wasn't for 200+ years.

In the original draft of the CRA of 1964, southern legislators wanted a sunset clause on Affirmative Action. Northern GOPers thought it was absurd to think institutionalized discrimination could be rectified in a generation (which they defined as 30 years). So they took AA out of the CRA and JFK and LBJ signed the executive orders to establish AA. All these years later, Congress hasn't done a thing to remove it, even with GOP majorities in the 1990s and 2000s.

Posted by: WheelsRI | March 3, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse