Posted at 9:56 PM ET, 03/ 6/2011

Terps open ACC Tournament Thursday against N.C. State

By Liz Clarke

Maryland will face N.C. State in the first round of the ACC Tournament in Greensboro, N.C.

The Terps (18-13, 7-9) finished the regular season on a three-game losing skid and ended up seventh in the conference standings after the conclusion of Sunday’s games.

N.C. State’s loss to Florida State landed the Wolfpack (15-15, 5-11) 10th in the standings.

With a victory Thursday, the Terps would advance to a 7 p.m. quarterfinal against No. 2 seed Duke (24-7, 13-3) on Friday.

Maryland defeated N.C. State, 87-80, at Comcast Center Feb. 20 in the teams’ only meeting this season, leaning on sophomore center Jordan Williams, who scored a team-high 26, and freshman Terrell Stoglin, who added 25.

The Terps were swept by Duke earlier this season, losing 71-64 at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Jan. 9, and falling 80-62 in the rematch at Comcast Center on Feb. 2.

North Carolina (24-6, 14-2) is the tournament’s No. 1 seed, having clinched the regular-season title with its victory over Duke Saturday.

The ACC’s top four teams get first-round byes: North Carolina, Duke, Florida State and Clemson.

The complete schedule is below:

Thursday, March 10 - First Round
No. 8 Virginia vs. No. 9 seed Miami, noon.
No. 5 Boston College vs. No. 12 Wake Forest, 2 p.m.
No. 7 Maryland vs. No. 10 N.C. State, 7 p.m.
No. 6 Virginia Tech vs. No. 11 Georgia Tech, 9 p.m.

Friday, March 11 - Quarterfinals
No. 1 North Carolina vs. Game 1 Winner, noon.
No. 4 Clemson vs. Game 2 Winner, 2 p.m.
No. 2 Duke vs. Game 3 Winner, 7 p.m.
No. 3 Florida State vs. Game 4 Winner, 9 p.m.

Saturday, March 12 - Semifinals
Semifinal 1, 1 p.m.
Semifinal 2, 3 p.m.

Sunday, March 13 - Championship
Championship Game, 1 p.m.

By Liz Clarke  | March 6, 2011; 9:56 PM ET
Categories:  Gary Williams, Men's basketball  | Tags:  ACC tournament, Maryland basketball, N.C. State
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: OPEN THREAD: Maryland vs. Virginia
Next: Williams, Stoglin draw ACC honors

Comments

Please beat NC State so we can play Duke again!!!!! It would make a down year somewhat enjoyable, just to upset them in the ACC tourn!!!!

Go Terps!

Posted by: cm88 | March 6, 2011 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Jake: [stands] Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do.
Roger: What's that?
Jake: Win the whole f#$%#@g thing.
[long pause]
Willie: [stands] Yeah.
Pedro: [pounds his hand] YES!

---
Stoglin might have to go for 30 in every game, but it's certainly not impossible that we could win this joint.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | March 7, 2011 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | March 7, 2011 12:10 AM

=========================================

It's also not impossible that I'll get laid this month... it's just EXTREMELY unlikely.

I like ths spirit, though -- go Terps!

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | March 7, 2011 12:56 AM | Report abuse

if this might not matter, but lets say md beats state, duke and fsu and reaches plays unc can we make it?

Posted by: skinfan2k | March 7, 2011 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Gary W. "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
AD Kevin A. "Germans?"
Ravens owner Steve B. "forget it, he's rolling"
Gary W. "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going, who's with me?"
Maryland mens team " "
Fill in the blank...

Posted by: frostanna | March 7, 2011 6:58 AM | Report abuse

I am already preparing for the NIT....I suggest you fellow Terp fans do the same...

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | March 7, 2011 8:15 AM | Report abuse

The Terps may beat NCstate if Bowie, Tucker and Mosely don't get to start or have much playing time.

Posted by: M20832 | March 7, 2011 8:16 AM | Report abuse

cm88: "I go by Psycho. If any of you's call me Francis, I'll kill ya"

Gdub: "Lighten up, Francis".

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | March 7, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Gary resigns soon after the game.

Posted by: sjp879 | March 7, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Who cares? Tghis season is down t toilet.

Posted by: petecard | March 7, 2011 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I meant...Who cares? This season is down the toilet.

Posted by: petecard | March 7, 2011 9:50 AM | Report abuse

mydogsnameisdixon,,,,classic haha!

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Right pete, season is down the toilet. Reminds of the the wifebeater they pulled out of the toilet on last weeks Jersey Shore episode.

Thanks Gary, now we're the Snooki of the ACC.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

You can't spell TerrapINs without NIT

Posted by: charliewewe | March 7, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

You can't spell TerrapINs without NIT!!

Posted by: charliewewe | March 7, 2011 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Poop: As someone who grew up in NJ (spending the summers of my youth in Seaside Heights), and also being of Italian descent...I'm offended that of all things to bleep from that show was the use of the term "Guinea Tee" in describing the wifebeater T-shirt!

With that said, I lost most my Jersey accent by the time I attended Maryland.

I hope the Terps deliver a punch to N.C State like Sammi Sweetheart's right cross to Ronnie's chin!...but I digress.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | March 7, 2011 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Haha, good point dixon.

What I don't get, is if NJ/NY are the best place on earth to live why do so many of those states residents feel the need to leave and turn College Park into NJ/NY-South?

Shoot, maybe we need to hite JWOW as coach. She can promise to "reward" every player after each game if they win.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Not sure Poop. My family moved to MD right before my junior year of H.S.

I think Md appeals to the NJ/NY kids because it is an attractive campus (some posters have debated that), and they consider it to be the closest, big "Southern" school.

I didn't mind the Jersey students..it was all those Long Islanders that got under my skin.

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | March 7, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The way the Terps have been playing I don't even see them beating NC State? Bench all the upperclassmen except Dino!

This gives us our best shot at winning some NIT games and it will give the freshmen much needed experience if and when a real Maryland team shows up next year!

Mosely should transfer to Towson so he can be closer to home?

Posted by: fatlabriley2 | March 7, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Dear HOGs (Haters of Gary), I have a few comments and then I'll let you get back to what you do best: Hating

First and foremost, you guys really need to get a life. None of you are season ticket holders. The most vocal among you amazingly didn't even go to the University of Maryland (yes, that's right, Restonhoops, CM88, Break20 have all admitted they never attended UMD). You guys aren't Terp club members. You aren't donors to the university. You have absolutely ZERO say when it comes to who should run our bball program.

Yes, yes, it's true Gary Williams has shamelessly led us to a whopping 3 NITs since 1993. Every other season since then, he's only led us to the NCAA tournament.

But hey, the HOGs aren't satisfied because Gary made the NIT after the 2004 and 2005 seasons. Never mind the fact that the HOGs always point to how long ago MD's final fours were, but hey it's cool that they have no problem pointing to the back to back NITs that occurred 6 freakin years ago. You want to talk about downward trend? Since our last NIT, we've won a share of the ACC title and Gary has won the ACC Coach of the Year.

You see, facts are the HOGs biggest enemies. They don't want to accept the fact that we have gone to 3 NCAA tourneys in the last 4 years. We have a First Team All ACC player and a First Team All Rookie team player--possibly both runners up for ACC POY and ACC ROY--and both are underclassmen who will be coming back next year, to go along with a very good recruiting class in 2011.

Here's the facts the HOGs absolutely can't stand:

-Since the National Championship season of 2002, the Terps still have the 3rd best wins in the ACC behind Duke and UNC (2 of the top 5 greatest programs in college basketball).

-Since the National Championship, we have been to the Sweet 16, we have won an ACC tourney, we have tied for an ACC regular season title, we have been to 5 NCAA tourneys, and our worst season was 19 wins.

-Every major sports publication in the country ranks us in the top 10 programs of the last decade

-Since the national championship, on selection sunday the selection committee has felt we were among the top 25-28 team in 2003, the top 13-16 team in the country in 2004, the top 13-16 team in the country in 2007, and the top 13-16 team in the country in 2010. The NCAA tourney is a crap shoot every year, so blaming a coach for buzzer beating losses in 4 of those 5 tourneys is simply ignorant. Even Duke gets knocked out early from time to time and have a first round exit to VCU just 3 years ago (something Gary hasn't done since 1997--the longest streak for any coach in the nation). And prior to last year even Duke hadn't gotten past the sweet 16 since '04.

-Last but not least, here's how you know these people have absolutely no credibility: they were nowhere to be found a year ago at this time. Go back and look at this blog from a year ago this week. We had just wrapped up 13-3 in the ACC...and there was no oinking from any of the HOGs

Posted by: Barno1 | March 7, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

So I was about to discuss some negative vibes coming from our lads' performances the last three games.

But Barno's comprehensive review puts it all in perspective and wipes out the naysayers (again) on this board. McPoop, purgamentum init, exit purgamentum.

Posted by: AncientTerp | March 7, 2011 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Terp Fans and FOGs,
I have tried to as fairly as possible determine where Maryland stands these days. I took what I figured where the top 55 teams and looked at the RPIs over the period that was available on Realtime RPI. I could have missed some teams. Some NCAA/NIT tournaments were included in their numbers and some weren’t. For example, the game against Manhattan was not included, but the Cal-W and Memphis-L were. Here are my results from averaging the RPIs for the years.…

2011- #99 (well ahead of Oklahoma and Northern Iowa of the 55 I considered)
2010-2011- #45
2009-2011 -#45
2008-2011 -#46
2007-2011 -#38
2006-2011 -#36
2005-2011 - #32
2004-2077 -#29

If I am able to discount one year from every school (this year for Maryland)
2004-2077 -#33

Posted by: lkfkd876 | March 7, 2011 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Terp Fans,

2011- #99 (well ahead of Oklahoma and Northern Iowa of the 55 I considered)
2010-2011- #45
2009-2011 -#45
2008-2011 -#46
2007-2011 -#38
2006-2011 -#36
2005-2011 -#32
2004-2011 -#29

If I am able to discount one year from every school (this year for Maryland)
2004-2011 -#33

Posted by: lkfkd876 | March 7, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Just 2 more stats to fire out there Barno...

Since Gary's NC - The Terps have the 3rd best total winning percentage in ACC games.

Since Gary's NC - The Terps are the ONLY team in the ACC that has never finished below 7-9 in league play.

Posted by: someguy100 | March 7, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

At a certain point, The players have to make plays. 3 losses in a row to finish the season. At this point, MD is who they are. they are a borderline above average team that performed under average. Thus u have 7 - 9. I JUST don't understand it. 3 seniors and some young talent that looks like they can play some ball. WHERE DID IT GO ALL WRONG?

Everyone is to blame. Freshmen playing like Freshmen. J WILL at times look like he doesn't make himself available down low. at times in crucial situations during games, when the ball ABSOLUTLEY had to goto J WILL, he was over looked. Is it THAT difficult to get the ball to J WILL when u REALLY NEED TO?

The seniors, for whatever reason, couldn't steer this team to certain victories in close games. If u are leading in the 2nd half of games, u need to pull out maybe close to %50 of those games no? it seems like, they lost %99 percent of these close games against QUALITY opponents in some way or another. I think that is the coach. and performance of players. EVERYONE is to blame.

At this point, i just don't see WHAT more they can do to pull out 4 victories to make it to NCAA. that is a shame because if JWILL leaves for pro, then we are 2 steps back from this year.... man.... A WASTE OF A POTENTIALLY A GREAT YEAR...

I like bowie, tucker, and gregory, but u guys really didn't make ur senior years count. disappointed.

Posted by: doeshin | March 7, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Would it be too much to ask for Gary to sweat through a suit jacket every now and again? Put yourself out there like you used to Gary! Who used to get more out medicore/average talent in the 1990s than him? Now compare some of the talent on this team to that of the 90s.

Class of '94, Go TERPS!

Posted by: cool_beverage | March 7, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I NEVER thought I would say this but "Well said Barno!" The other point is that some of them dislike Garys personality so all their foot stomping and teeth grinding about NITs etc rings a tad hollow

Posted by: TerpfanMA | March 7, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Keep reaching kids for excuses, and just watch as Gary keeps taking us backwards.

Youre not going to convince us that Gary is doing a great job, especially with a 4th NIT in 8 years, and we arent convince you to love MD more than Gary because you will find some stat that fits your need/belief and keep diggin back to many years ago, or to a lame personal award he won last year or a stupid stat like 20 win seasons that mean nothing when you pile up wins against weak teams or when you think success is squeeking into NCAA's and losing early.

We are all fans, just have different expectations.

Go Terps! Would love to see us get to Duke and upset them in the ACC Tourn.

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

cm88...dont you have something worthwhile to do, like reviewing call sheets or something?

jeez dude.....you keep repeating the same lame complaints..over and over and over and over

go get a hobby because Gary is staying for the duration of his contract and you are going to be one miserable SOB for a while...tell you wife and kids to move out

Posted by: TerpfanMA | March 7, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

To heck with reloading, rebuilding is the real way to go.

Just look at the O's they've been "rebuilding" for 13 years and they're darn freaking successful. What do the Red Sox and Yankees know about reloading? They're not successful at all.

Gary is the coach for the job, he can do no wrong. His teams know exactly how to defend the 3-point shot. Gary knows exactly how to beat a 2-3 zone so Jordan Williams isn't double/triple/quadruple-teamed when he gets the ball down low.

I'm glad Gary doesn't go for the 1-and-done stud players from in and around the MD/DC/Baltimore area. We don't need them. We got the Cliff Tucker's and Sean Mosely's to lead us to the promised land.

I'm fully converted.

I'm born again.

Hallelujah!!

I've been baptized by the Chuch of the FOG's. Gary Williams is my savior. I fully accept him into my bosom. I have fould salvation.

It's a new day for me. A brighter day. A new beginning.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

Great post but, some people have empty heads that are amazingly hard as rocks.

They don't get it and they never will.

Gary is a future HOF'er and one of the top coach's of all-time. He isn't going anywhere until he says so. The HOG's know it and that pisses them off.

JWill is going to stay and this team will be very solid next year.

"Suck on it and like it" HOG's.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 7, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"You guys are right. Gary's got this program going in the right direction. Who cares that we've been to as many NIT's as NCAA tourneys post-Championship. I know I don't!!!"

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if you don't have your facts straight either, right Poop? MD has gone to 5 NCAA tournaments since 2002, and 3 NITs.

5 > 3
5 does not = 3

Posted by: Barno1 | March 7, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Atleast I have a job, hows that MD degree going TerpfanMA, still looking for work or is the secretary thing treating you right? I am sure the kneepads fit perfectly :)

I repeat the same complaints, you repeat the same homosexual tendancies towards loving a man named Gary, instead of loving the program.

Its ok, its 2011, you can come out and be proud and loud, get your rainbow on boy. FOG is definitely not the name I would give you, but close :)

You've never made a good point, especially when you fall to agreeing with Barno, the same kid that said he couldnt wait to laugh at us Garyhaters when we go to the NCAA's this year, when real fans realized we where going to the NIT's weeks and weeks ago, due to Garys lack of recruiting and coaching, sucks when youre realistic and right, but its what us real fans are.

Not children that because they went to MD, think they are bigger fans then people like us that have been going to games since Cole and have loved this team for years....when the true HOF'r Lefty coached, the guy that built MD Basketball from nothing.

Now go back to your zit medicine and take care of your bosses needs in the bathroom TerpfanMA.

Good job losing every debate this season, you and Barno should be proud of going to MD and getting those degrees, got you very far in life haha, one guy is studying racial issues and making no money and you are working with knee pads on hahaha congrats!

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Barno, Did you really need to write that post? We all no where you are coming from and how blind you are at the demise of our basketball program. You can't even begin to recognize how weak your argument is. It's actually quite funny. Knocking Maryland fans who didn't go to our school is really off the mark. These guys, Reston and cm88 especially, have real passion for Maryland and they are legitimate in their fandom as anyone. So we have FOGS and HOGS and some of us are actually in between. We can't even agree on the team's record. Many of us are disgusted by it, while you and others laud it. Talk about rose colored glasses. In the end I find it quite amusing.

Posted by: petecard | March 7, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: petecard | March 7, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Poop, who cares if we dont win in the ACC tourns or when we get into the NCAA tourn, all that matters is that we squeek in. Thats what I love about Gary, he does the bare minimum and he is dreamy. 4 NIT's, if we get invited this year, in 8 years is great! But I will keep overlooking that fact, I love Garyland, opps I mean Maryland, woohoo, you go girlfriends!

Love Barno

ps, does anyone have any naked drunk pictures of Gary that I can add to my collection?

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I tried reasoning with these "Md Grads", but it is obvious that business logic or logic in general will not overcome their love for a 66 year old man. "greatest coaches ever", wow they really dont see past MD do they. Please understand the history of college basketball, let alone college sport before you make a stupid statement like that.

He has one 1 Nat Championship, that doesnt even make him the top coach in the ACC, currently.

It is amazing how blind and in love these kids are with Gary, almost scary/stalker.

Ok, I guess we can go back to the personal attacks again, its kind of amusing making you guys look dumb logically and personally.

Go on.....

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

BTW, go to Scout, and you will see that the people wanting a change, far outweighs the people that want to stick with Gary, just like what is happening here.

A couple of blind kids, and a ton of people that are sick of Gary. Say what you want, but a lot of new names are popping up here and there that want Gary gone.

MD fans are tired of his laziness and of people like you giving him excuses for no recruiting efforts and below avg results for a top tier program, this is not a mid-major as you guys must think.

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love this cm88 character. He often calls those he disagrees with a "child" and then goes on to call people homosexuals if they disagree with him. He has even made physical threats to people on here and bragged about being a wrestler as if he thinks that is in some way intimidating on the internet. Then he decides he knows what everyone he disagrees with does for a living, and how much money they make (he decided that I make $40,000 a year, then he mocked this made up salary).

Let's just all be honest about one thing: this cm88 guy is a complete and utter toolbag. I don't care if he is right about Gary Williams--which he isn't--it wouldn't change the fact that he is a tool.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 7, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

CM88,

You lose any creditabilty when you resort to all the homosexual jokes, comments and insults. It's flat out not neccessary and it makes you look like a fool. So, please stop.

The TI's favorite hypocritical, self-proclaimed pot-smoking Liberal, Poopy, does the same BS.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 7, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Barno, we all know we're pretty much bound for the NIT this year, so why not include that?

And you're right I was off by one, its 5 NCAA's (with 4 times being out after the 2nd round and one trip to the Sweet 16) to 4 NITs (that's including this year).

Say what you want, but to me that's not very good.

But hallelujah, Hallelujah. Gary is my savior. Give me a sip of his blood and one of those little waffer dealies. Baptize me again. Hallelujah!!

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

But, yeah I guess UMD does have lots of "fakey fans" since I have to say again, I was stunned by the amount of empty seats at the game Saturday for it being Senior Night/last home game and the fact that it was a "must win."

Being at the game almost made me think I was at a Natinals game with the empty seats.

Of course we won't get into how sad it is (and yes, no one can argue that it isn't sad/depressing) that going into the final game, actually 3-4 final games, of the season were "must win" for our beloved Terps.

But I'm a new man, reborn with the blood of Gary. Hallelujah he is my savior.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

This has been an extremely disappointing season. The next loss ends it. Sad. The way the TEAM has played these last few games is sad.

But what is p*swing me off? The lack of rebounding against Mich St. Still. Not the luscious shot, the terrible execution that forced such a dramatic comeback on the Terps part.

But this season, if it ends in three games or less, was just sad. No big wins, no bad losses UNTIL the last three weeks of the season when bad losses came and came again.

But I did like the Jersey Shore references; are there any NY/NJ alums on this board? I recall Petecard is a MD transplant.

Regards-

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 7, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I love that section304304030 is so insecure that he has to try to "bash" me for doing something legal where I live (yes, pal with a prescription using wacky-tobacky is legit) and for being a "liberal" even though politically speaking I'm conservative.

But section30303048340's stance is straight out of the Glenn Beck playbook, call anyone who disagrees with you a "liberal" since that's such a bad, bad bad thing and hope it sticks.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"Being at the game almost made me think I was at a [Orihole's] game with the empty seats."

There I fixed that sentence for you Poopy.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 7, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Poop: There was a nice turnout for Saturday's game. You keep referring to it as a night game when it was a 2:00 tip. Are you sure you were at the correct MD game?

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon | March 7, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

So Poopy, if your so conservative politically, what's with the all the snide remarks you have made about Bush, Fox News, Glenn Beck and pretty much anything Conservative?

I ain't buyin' what your sellin'.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 7, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Another thing I love is the "Okay, so if Gary is replaced, what if his successor isn't as good as Gary."

Valid point, definitely.

But what they seem to overlook, or atleast not want to bring up is the opposite.

Much like Barno only harping on the times when UMD was negatively effected by buzzer-beaters (while conviently the times UMD positively benefited from buzzer-beaters).

What if, say Gary is replaced and the next coach actually does take UMD from slightly above average, where we are currently, to elite status?

That's an argument that the FOG's and the "What if the next coach isn't as good" crowd seem to forget.

Sure it's a gamble but to paraphrase Matt Damon (said in my best Team America voice), you may lose but at least have the sack to ante up.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Dixon when I got home it was night and I was so tired/jet-lagged that the whole day just seemed later to me than it really was.

Okay section3040303 just for you I'll ramp up my shots at Olbermann, Beck, Schultz, Maddow, Maher, MSNBC, the whole "liberal media" to appease you.

Maybe I take shots at Beck/Fox/Hannity because they are the cream-of-the-crop at what they do so why not go for the big dogs?

But okay, to make you feel better I'll attack the minor league, AA-equivalent on the other side. Will that make you sleep better, in your snuggie, at night?

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

By Beck in that last bit I meant to type Matthews.

And section3403403040587457 I never said "I'm so politically conservative." I just tend to lean that way, same way when it comes to social matters I lean liberal.

You could probably call me a moderate, like most Americans. I'm no Tea Partier or Hawk, or leftist-commi-nazi who thinks Obama is god and jesus and buddaha and moohammed all rolled into one.

One thing I am though, is a Terp fan who sees a program slipping into mediocrity when what I want is to be elite and build off a National Championship, not hold it up like 2001 and 2002 are the peak of the mountain for our program.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mydogsnameisdixon
________________________________________________________

He has told so many lies and half-truths and used so many different monikers I don't think Poopy knows who he is.

Very sad. He is a troubled soul. Good Luck to you Poopy McPoop/O's Exec/DixontheDog/RalphMelish, etc. Here's hoping all of you find a way to quiet the voices in that messed up head. One way to get the ball rolling on that would be to put down the joint/bong/pipe. Just sayin'

Posted by: Section505203 | March 7, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Trust me,I am not worried about credibility on this board when it comes to arguing a point with you jokers. You never have won a point and Gary has proven once again we where right, unfortunately.

You guys dont want to believe the kids from MD, that wanted to come here but never heard from Gary, you make excuses.

You dont wanna believe we are going to antother NIT or have been going to them, you make excuses.

You dont wanna believe that we are trending downwards, even when another poster puts effort in and shows it in logical RPI, you make excuses.

You dont wanna believe that Gary is a lazy recruiter, eventhough it comes from Multiple sources, kids, parents, coaches, you make excuses.

You dont wanna believe that Gary is overrated, even when all his 20 win seasons have 10-12 wins against very weak competition and he doesnt take his team deep in ACC tourns/NCAA tourns when he faces legit comp, you make excuses

Btw, Homosexual is not a derogiatory remark its ok if you love Gary sexually, I am ok with it Barno, your racism already came out earlier in some posts, so dont be afraid to be open about your sexuallity, its ok, we still think you are funny either way.

Secton, youve been taking personal attacks for a while, so dont try and act all high and mighty now that your boys are looking like tools on here. You 3 or 4 are the minority on here, and you attacked us early in the year, now how does it feel when you where/are completely wrong about the year/team and Gary?

Barno, still waiting for the LOL, is how I think you put it, for us being wrong about going to the NIT? Oh wait, you could be right, we may not even get invited to the NIT, so maybe it will stay at 3 in 8 years, CONGRATS true MD fan since you went there and got a great degree...and, ummm study racism to prove why you cant get a good job...sad :(

Now for you people that are bored with us going back and forth like babbling idiots...here is a cool link. This kid is could kick Gary's old butt :) ahaha

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Why does anyone respond to Poop? The guy is a troll. His motives are to troll the board. If you need further evidence just take a glance at the Nationals Journal. He is out of control, don't feed into it.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | March 7, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I think Gary has done a good job coaching this year. His team overachieved this year.

But that's Gary's fault and his problem.

HE DOES NOT HAVE TO GET HIS PLAYERS TO OVERACHIEVE!

RECRUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: yayo2 | March 7, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

So this board has become about McPoop, cm88, some other naysayers. Common sense has become unacceptable.

It's time to butt out and let the HOGs sell their rants only to each other.

Signing off for good, knuckleheads

Posted by: AncientTerp | March 7, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Recruiting is part of college coaching. If you can't or won't recruit, I don't think you should be considered a great coach.

Maryland is no longer the best college program in the area. It's not even #2.

Several local area high school basketball stars have said they were never really recruited by Maryland.

Solid coach + poor recruiter = average coach

Posted by: yayo2 | March 7, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes AncientTerp, it is definitely not common sense to want your team to not go to another NIT???? ok, we are the knuckleheads hahaha, you guys really just cant help yourselves but look silly. ok, keep em coming, these are classic!

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

By the way, I love the University of Maryland. I love Gary Williams and what he has done for the program, but you can't say you won a national championship in 2002, nothing for the last 9 years, and then ask why I don't support the team or that I'm a hater.

Why can't Gary and the University support me by consistently producing winners?
Why can't Gary consistently win?

Why do I have to put with a bad product to show my loyalty?

I this are the bottom-line is that I don't have to pay for a bad product. And that's what this team is when you can't finish in the top half of the ACC this year.

We are what we are, not even the 2nd best in the area. :(

Posted by: yayo2 | March 7, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Musiq,

I agree with you about Poopy on Nats Journal. I don't even acknowledge him over there anymore.

Eventhough the guy is a nutcase, I do believe he's a Terp fan/alum.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 7, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"Second, I agree with everything said by Barno, except for the point that somehow you have to be an alum to care about MD sports. I went to Maryland, but know plenty of people who love and support MD sports that never went to MD."

Imjustlikemusiq,

Sure you can be a fan of a school even if you didn't attend. I just think there are some key differences that really come out on this board. 3 of the most outspoken anti-Gary people on this board all have at one point or another admitted didn't attend UMD. To me that's telling. I think if you are a fan of Maryland bball but didn't attend the school, you aren't nearly as likely to have the same kind of loyalty to Gary Williams. What he has done for UMD with his bball success is immeasurable.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the school went from a second tier "back up" school during the 90s to one of the more prestigious state schools in the country in the last 10-15 years. If you are simply a Maryland bball fan but not an alum, do you really even care about any of that?
Do you feel any sense of loyalty to the person who is in many ways partially responsible for that?

Does Restonhoops give a damn that Gary's success has brought in hundreds of millions of dollars to the university over the years? I highly doubt it. And I think that's a key difference between an alumni fan and someone who didn't go to school here.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 7, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I think Gary's deal is up in 2013. He needs two NCAA teams to get an extention even if he wants one. The ACC is only getting better...

Posted by: yayo2 | March 7, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with others on this. cm88, any logic that may have ever been present in any of your postings is negated with your awful jokes and strange obsession with homosexuality. I'm not sure that I've ever seen anyone on these boards express a romantic love for Gary Williams, so I don't know where you get that stuff. I have to assume that maybe you are below the age of 13 to think that it's funny to imply?

In addition, you desperately need to spell-check your posts. I hate to be that person that complains about spelling and grammar, but yours is atrocious. It makes your strange ramblings seem even less coherent.

Poopy, your posts are occasionally funny, but you seem to have started going off the deep end again. It also gets more and more obvious that you have a lot of strange, made-up aspects of your imaginary life on here. You live in California, but you were home for a Maryland game and then back in California posting on this website with no sense of time? No one on here cares about your outside life at all, so you should just stick to the topic at hand instead of getting weirdly wrapped up in these odd lies.

Posted by: marylandarlington | March 7, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | March 7, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I just want to add to this that I personally was very thankful to learn that CM88 isn't a fellow Terp. Translation: I'm just glad this guy does not have a diploma from the same school as me.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 7, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

To expand on your comments. As I've said before I didn't go to Maryland but, I have been a loyal fan nearly all my life. I understand what Gary did for the b-ball program at Maryland. Those were dark, dark days after Len Bias died. the Maryland b-ball program was a shell of it's former self. Gary came in and saved this program. Without him coming here, Maryland would be as relevant right now to the ACC in hoops as Miami is or Nebraska is in the Big 12. He left a good situation at Ohio State to come back to the ruins that was his alma mater's b-ball program for the love of his school.

Only a true fan or alum who has followed the program would understand this. I don't think the non-alum Gary haters you speak of are life long fans, I just don't know how they could be, with the crap they say about him.

Lefty was a great coach and got Maryland to the edge of a championship many times but they always came up short. Gary got them over the hump and gave "Us" a championship that can't be taken away.

In the summer of 1986 a championship for Maryland basketball was a million miles away.

This sounds corny but for that I say, "Thanks Coach Williams. Stay as long as you want."

Posted by: Section505203 | March 7, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I know, all logic goes out the window with some bad taste jokes, now lets all go back to praising the awesome job Gary has done leading us to, hopefully, a 4th NIT in 8 years, or is it 7? Sorry my blog spelling and grammer, donts works for yous, I take a ton of time proof reading my typing, because these posts are soooooo important to me....since,,,,,I,,,,know----you,,,MD grads are leading the word in gramatical, social, and logical correctness.

I will next be teaching you a lesson on sarcasim,,,opps did I spell that wrong? :)

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: marylandarlington | March 7, 2011 3:40 PM
========

Hahaha, who said I'm back in California yet? Flight home isn't until next Sunday.

Oh snap, suck on those chocolate, salted sacks. (no one take that as a distasteful homosexual joke though).

If someone wants some distasteful jokes, I got 2 9/11 ones for ya.

As for person life, thank section3054304730 for bringing that up. Just defending myself.

Oh snap again.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Yes Barno, because then you might have a real job if you went to the same school I did, instead of that one you made up earlier in a post. Please tell me you where making that up, if not, wow you really are a sad kid.

Section, to think that Gary was the only one that could have turned this program around is once again why I think you may have some deeper issues with Gary i.e. stalker or you just dont understand sports. Do you know how many schools have been hit with sanctions and returned to high level programs???? Again, MD was built by Lefty, this area is the best recruiting area in the country, just ask other schools. Any good coach/recruiting coach, would have done a great job here. You guys keep comparing us to NC State or GA tech, etc...these do not have the same backyard we do, sorry but its just commical. You dont give MD the credit it deserves, you give it all to Gary and that is just sad and blind. I guess Gary built the Football team when Ralph was here, or the soccer program that is a top ranked program, or the business school,,,it was all Gary, he also created all the great local HS programs with the great recuits.

Wow you guys are really in love with this man, do you see why I make jokes about your boy crushes, its commical, and some what sad.

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

You guys are right! Gary clearly needs to recruit higher caliber talent.

Like that year he had the #3 recruiting class in the country

From rivals.com

Yeah Baby! It was way better when those guys played!

Posted by: someguy100 | March 7, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

btw, you do look like a complete fool when you say only a alumni or true fan,,,,you dont even give Lefty the real credit he deserves. If you where a real fan/alumni, you would know your MD Basketball history. Lefty was competing back when 1 team left a conf. He coached the greatest team in MD history, but it didnt even get to go to the NCAA's because only 20+ teams went to the NCAA's. Not 68 like Gary fought for and cant even get in.

Only imagine Lefty coaching today, with 68 teams going in, that team would have probably been in the finals against NC State. Or, with the rule that kids cant go directly to the Pros, can you imagine that the greatest MD Terp ever, would have probably been Moses Malone, did you even know he signed with MD???

Please, dont compare the 2, Lefty would have dominated today. Carmelo and others would have probably come to MD, because Lefty would have gotten off his arse and recruited them, not been talked down to them as Gary does, plus he knew how to motivate kids, not tear them down, so kids would have come here.

Gary is a joke compared to Lefty, know your history youngin.

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

CM88,

Do you know how bad Maryland was under Bob Wade? Here is the record of his last season in 1988-89 - 9-20 and 1-13 in the ACC. He was also 36-50 and 7-35 in the ACC in 3 seasons. As much as you hate Gary his teams have NEVER been that bad.

That jackass Wade also got us put on Probation.

Could someone else have done what Gary did? Sure. But the fact that he came back to his alma mater after it was THAT bad, says a lot about him and his love for his school. You just can't give the guy ANY credit. And that says a lot about you.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 7, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh wow, I just love it...Gary left a good situation at Ohio State to come here and save us...hahaha.

Gary at Ohio State 3 Years:

6th in Conf...2nd round loss NCAA's
6th in Conf... NIT
6th in Conf...NIT

Wow, doesnt that sound familiar. So at OHIO St, he was not a HOF'r, i.e. failing in a weak league at that time. Comes here, basically gets the help of a MD backyard built by Lefty, has one great run, but now is back to the success levels he was when at Ohio St.

Yet another coach is killing it at Ohio St?

Yeah, Gary is a great coach,,,hahaha.

I love how you guys look at the real history/stats.

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Gary already has stated he would NOT have come here if he knew how bad it was. So NO, I dont give him credit, he said he wouldnt have come. So it shows he didnt do it for love, he did it because he was either too stupid to do the research or know, or too lazy. Plus he was failing at Ohio St., so he left. Too dumb to realize he had Jim Jackson too, good move for such a brillant man haha.

I hate what Wade did and who he was, have said it a million times, piece of trash. I have given Gary credit a million times for helping to turn this program back around, but you are too slow too blind to read that when we give him credit.

Thanks Gary for helping turn MD back around, but now you are failing and NO ONE deserves a lifetime pass when they are being lazy and abusive. Especially for 1 championships, when others are winning multiple.

I get that you are a fan, dont doubt that. But you are more of a fan of Gary than MD, if you think his lazy arse should get a free pass forever.

The guy is on a downward trend, how can you dispute that, its right there in front of you.

Oh well, guess he was a great coach at Ohio St too.

Gary rocks, another NIT.

You win Section and Barno. Gary is great, NIT's are awesome!!!

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"Lefty was a great coach and got Maryland to the edge of a championship many times but they always came up short."

How is my quote above not give Lefty any credit? I said he was a great coach. In fact, he should be a HOF'er. And yes, the 70's and early 80's were different in that there was not as many tourny teams.

If you want to get really down into the history Maryland basketball, Bud Millikan actually put Maryland basketball on the map. He lead the Terps to the their first ACC crown and first NCAA Tourny berth in 1958. Lefty made them more consistent and a stronger national program.

Know your Maryland basketball history there, tough guy.

Posted by: Section505203 | March 7, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cm88 | March 5, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I too have concluded hat he isn't going to turn the program around. Posted by: petecard | March 5, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Just wow. Where to begin with such misguided, myopic drivel? How quickly we forget...

Petecard- you're absolutely correct...Gary isn't "GOING to turn the program around". He did that 20 years ago. And then 15 years ago he made them respectable again. And then 10 years ago he made them an elite team. And the next year he won it all.

Am I happy with this season? No. But I also realize that we just lost 3 of our top 4 scorers, including a 2,000 point guy/hear and soul of the team. We have 5 freshmen/1st yr guys. Anyone that expected more than 8 or 9 wins in the ACC this season was kidding themselves. I'm disappointed we regressed but young teams normally wear down. Terps will finish in the top 3 of the ACC next year and make a run in March. Lord knows he's no saint, and reasonable minds can disagree about his recruiting strategy. But anybody that would trash Gary Williams hasn't a clue about Maryland basketball.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 7, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Final stat and then I will let it rest.

Gary at Ohio State and MD combined:

9 NITs or Missed the NCAA completely, including this year.

15 NCAA appearences.

That means, at Major Programs, Gary is going to go to NIT or miss the NCAA, once every 2 years on average or worse.

Match that up with the other coaches at major programs and lets see how GREAT the HOF'r is looking.

You really think that is success, an avg of 1 NIT or Missing the NCAA's, once every 2 years?

Ok, done!

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

So 3 years of what Bob Wade did, destroyed all of what Lefty did? There werent hundreds of kids that grew up MD fans, that loved MD basketball and wanted to come here. Gary got Walt Williams, do you think it was because Walt grew up on MD basketball or Walt came here because of Gary? Evevyone, even Gary, credits Walt with helping turn this program around.

Sorry, just dont praise Gary as blindly as you guys do. I think any coach is and was lucky to get the MD job, and someone that really loves MD basketball would actually try to recruit, not be lazy and cocky like Gary.

Ok, now I am done :) haahaa!

Funny, we would probably all get along and laugh if we were debating this over beers...well except for Barno, he is just strange!

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying not to revert to sophomoric "you're a moron"-type comments but you make it awfully hard.

Gary is a lock for the HOF. If you don't understand/know this (note I didn't say if you don't "think", because it's not up for debate) then you do not know much about college hoops/Maryland hoops

Your stats are Tonka toys; here's some real stats:

-# of tourney appearances in the SIXTY SIX SEASONS pre-Gary: 10. Number in the 21 years he's been here: 14. You can count OSU to water down his numbers (nice try), but we're talking Maryland basketball. And the fact is he's been to the Dance 66% of the time. Is that Coack K good? Of course not. BUt it's still damn good, especially when you consider what he inherited.

-ACC reg season championships from 1923-1989 (pre-Gary): THREE. # of championships in the 21 year Gary Era: THREE

- # of Final Fours Maryland went to in the 80 years pre-Gary: 0. Goose Egg. # of Final Fours in the Gary Era: 2, including one national championship.

Seriously man, get a clue. Or don't; it's good entertainment.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 7, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

sorry, I meant 66 yrs, not 80 in that last stat to be consistent

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 7, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

and yes, I'd have a beer with any Terp fan...even you cm88...at least one anyhow...but really, did you call us a "bubble NIT team"? That was one of the funniest things I've ever heard, just awesomeness on so many levels

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | March 7, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, its sad, but I think we are a Bubble NIT team, if we lose to NC State, I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt get an invite. You think we would? The CAA has a bunch of teams that are bubble NCAA teams that might go infront of us. Big East teams, etc.

Honestly, I dont even care if we went to the NIT, if you win its like saying you are the 69th best team in the country, ugh!

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, its sad, but I think we are a Bubble NIT team, if we lose to NC State, I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt get an invite."

Once again proving you have the intelligence of a cockroach.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 7, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

This is coming from a racist that said he was going to laugh at us when we go to the NCAA's??? Ok, I am wrong. We are a strong team that will easily make it into the NIT, so we can compete to prove we are the 69th best team in the country!

Sorry, I apologize for being a dumb cockroach. How's that make believe job going?

Posted by: cm88 | March 7, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey, maybe the Tournament Selection Committee gets really liquored up and hangs out with Charlie Sheen on Sunday and somehow do pick the Terps for the Big Dance. Probably the only way the FOG's will get to "rub it in" the face of those who saw the NIT coming a few weeks ago.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I graduated from UMCP in 1983 and for the past 4 years have attended almost every home game. Rabid fan who wears Terp colors 24/7? Nope. But I'm a fan who can now afford to pay for season tickets.

One can do whatever they want with the numbers. I looked at Terps record under Gary starting in 1993 (when he first made it to NCAA Tournament)through the end of the 2003 season, and compared results in just a few categories with results from 2004 - present.

1993-2003

2004-2010
Overall winning seasons - 7
Overall losing seasons - 0
Finished better than .500 in ACC - 2
Finished .500 or below - 5
NCAA Tournament appearances - 3
NIT - 4 (assuming they go this year)

I don't know Gary Williams personally. I neither hate him nor worship the ground on which he walks. But when I look at these numbers I wonder if he's running out of steam.

Posted by: greenbrier501 | March 7, 2011 6:09 PM | Report abuse

For those busting on Gary's record at Ohio St. , look at what Randy Ayres did with Gary's players after he left.. Gary was rebuilding the program, and had the talent coming in.. He left before he could reap the rewards of his work to come home to his alma mater.. So your argument is weak..
For those busting on Maryland fans because they didn't attend Maryland is just as weak..I too, did not attend Maryland, but am a firm believer of rooting and supporting my state school.. As a Terp Club member and football season ticket holder, (can't afford to do it all), it really gets my ire up when alumni think they are a better fan just because they went to the school.. If all alumni supported the school the way they should, then the Terrapin Club would have a boat load more members..You can be a great fan of the Terps, even if you didn't go to Maryland, in fact, that's what this state needs more of.... GO TERPS !!!

Posted by: frostanna | March 7, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

it really gets my ire up when alumni think they are a better fan just because they went to the school......You can be a great fan of the Terps, even if you didn't go to Maryland, in fact, that's what this state needs more of.... GO TERPS !!!

Posted by: frostanna | March 7, 2011 6:22 PM
===========

Excellent points frostanna. Hopefully it sinks in with more than a few posters on here.

Also, happened to come across this site today, http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/?p=2234 , and this stood out to me:

Baltimore Sports and Life: “In the 2011 class, the University of Maryland has received signed Letters of Intent from Sterling Gibbs, Nick Faust, and a verbal commitment from Martin Breunig. As a whole, where does this group compare to the rest of the ACC?”

Evan Daniels: “We currently have Maryland ranked No. 6 overall in the ACC class. Faust is obviously the big one in this class. He’s a top 50 prospect overall and a guy that provides instant points.”

Paul Biancardi: “It is in the top half of the ACC. It has it’s star in Nick Faust and a solid supporting class. More importantly it backs up last years class which is proving to be a really good one.”

Really? #6 and/or top half in the ACC. Pretty sad that those ranking aren't higher.

Okay FOG's, now's the time to bash those 2 people, question who they are, and tell all of us that they are morons for having the Terps recruiting class ranked as low as it is.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 6:30 PM | Report abuse

someguy100,

Your comment, ""Head coach Gary Williams capitalized on winning a National Championship two years ago with this class. He struck early and often with five quality recruits in Mike Jones, Ekene Ibekwe, Hassan Fofana, Will Bowers, and D.J. Strawberry. Jones is an athletic two guard who can dazzle a crowd with dunks while Ibekwe can score from the floor or on the drive. Fofana is a big man with great upside to his game and will be an impact player for the Maryland program."

Yeah Baby! It was way better when those guys played!"

I know those guys never amounted to anything, but Gary recruited them!!!

He needs to recruit better!!!

Posted by: yayo2 | March 7, 2011 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Jordan Williams 1st team all-acc (with the 2nd most votes behind N. Smith) coming of a an all-rookie team selection last yr

Terrell Stoglin- all-rookie this yr

Both back next yr, with Peshon, Nick faust, and insert a big. Futures bright folks...Gary cant recruit, wah, wah, wah. 2 straight seasons w/ all-rookie selections.

Posted by: asnis715 | March 7, 2011 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Half of the haters are too focused on rankings and the other half just plain hate Gary Williams so they will continue to call for him to get fired unless he wins 2 more NCs before his contract expires...

Gary recruits who he wants...last time I checked, he is the one with a National Championship on his resume, not the guy who spends all day hating on the website instead of checking is sales logs like he is supposed to..

The Haters better get used to being angry and miserable because Gary is here until he decides to leave

In 2008, UCLA had the #1 recruiting class in the country...those guys...those guys are all upperclassmen now...do you know where UCLA is in the rankings this week? They are not...

Posted by: TerpfanMA | March 7, 2011 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 7, 2011 6:30 PM |
-----------
I'll say this much, I don't think either of them know much about Breunig, who has only been in the U.S. for a few months. I doubt either have seen him play.

Posted by: MrScrotums | March 7, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This board is in total meltdown mode. I suggest we listen to cm88 cause he went to Business School.

Posted by: aviscardo | March 7, 2011 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Okay Poopy, I should have looked up your link first. I was correct about Daniels; he knew nothing about Breunig. ESPN (Biancardi) now has him ranked, although it's not like Breunig's been in the U.S. long enough for a solid evaluation. Biancardi said only that MD's recruiting class "is in the top half of the ACC." Then he says, "More importantly it backs up last years class which is proving to be a really good one.” You must have missed that part.

Posted by: MrScrotums | March 7, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

"For those busting on Maryland fans because they didn't attend Maryland is just as weak..I too, did not attend Maryland, but am a firm believer of rooting and supporting my state school.. As a Terp Club member and football season ticket holder, (can't afford to do it all), it really gets my ire up when alumni think they are a better fan just because they went to the school.."

Frostanna, no one was busting on Maryland fans because they didn't attend Maryland. You can be every bit the diehard as any of the alumni, I know this because my father didn't come here but two of his sons did so he's a huge UMD fan.

My point was that it's more likely if you're not an alumni that you're not going to be as loyal to a guy like Gary Williams or Friedgen. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence to support this on this blog. But by all means, this isn't to say there aren't many non-alumn who are huge, huge fans and lot 9b tailgaters like you. (as a side note frostanna: I tried for 2 years to convince my friends not to leave 9b, but eventually we all moved to lot 1 this past year and it was still fun).

Posted by: Barno1 | March 7, 2011 9:32 PM | Report abuse

The only difference between UM and NCS on Thursday will be the fact that Sidney Lowe will be coaching his last game at State and he knows it!

Posted by: 70Terp | March 7, 2011 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you finally made a great point!

You are right, we real MD fans are not loyal to Gary Williams, we are loyal to MD Basketball. I loved Lefty, but he made mistakes and had to go. I have never loved Gary, but he did a great job, but now is failing, making mistakes by not recruiting well, it some of us feel it is time for a change. Thats it, hope you finally can get it.

And for all of you that think Gary did a great recruiting job because Stogs got an award, check on that list how many kids are from MD, that he let go. Like the 2 that got more votes than Stog, and one of them wanted to come here, but Gary didnt go see him.

Posted by: cm88 | March 8, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse

PS, be careful on attacking now and saying Gary is a great recruiter, because then youre just opening up the point that Gary had to All-ACC guys this year, but still finished near the bottom of the ACC, so then you are questioning his coaching :)

Posted by: cm88 | March 8, 2011 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cm88 | March 8, 2011 8:41 AM
-----

Sounds like a case of the FOG's trying to have their cake and eat it too. Hmmmmm....

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | March 8, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Let's get real. Jordan Williams made the All ACC Team. Stogs made the FRESHMAN team. The problem is not that we don't have some good players, it's that we don't have enough. Talent level is measured by the top one or two guys. It's measured by the depth of quality. We did not have one player besides JW who would even be honorable mention. That just is not good enough. Our seniors were a joke and our bigs collectively (JW aside) are inept.

Posted by: petecard | March 8, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse