Get Updates:  Twitter  |   Facebook  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed
Posted at 11:08 AM ET, 02/16/2011

Borders stores closing in Washington region

By Elizabeth Flock
height
The Borders bookstore on 14th and F. (Nick Kirkpatrick/FTWP)

Borders filed for bankruptcy protection this morning, and said it will close at least 200 stores in the coming weeks. Locations in the Washington region that are shutting up shop include stores at 5333 Wisconsin Ave NW and 1801 K Street NW in the District; 8027 Leesburg Pike in Vienna; 4420 Mitchellville Road in Bowie; 931 Capital Centre Blvd. in Largo; and 11301 Rockville Pike (White Flint mall) in Montgomery County.

See Borders closings in a full screen map:

View Borders closings in a full screen map

Or as a list:

Borders Closures

By Elizabeth Flock  | February 16, 2011; 11:08 AM ET
Categories:  Lunch Room Chatter
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Urn with ashes donated to Va. thrift shop
Next: A 'more vanilla' D.C. sparks debate

Comments

(1) That's a loss. Borders is a fairly nice bookstore chain. Of course I'm so old that I fondly remember Crown Books.

(But hell, I also remember bygone businesses like "Zayre" and "Hot Shoppe" and "Hechingers" and "Dart Drug"/"Fantles." Guess I've gotten to be as old as dirt now.)

(2) 11301 Rockville Pike is not really in Kensington, more like the White Flint area of Rockville. In fact, that address may very well be in the White Flint Mall itself.

C'mon now. You guys still have staffers who live way out here in the counties, don't you?

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | February 16, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Too bad about the White Flint store - they always seemed to have a very good selection compared to some other Border's locations.

Posted by: jeendee | February 16, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Tysons would be viable were it not for the extensive road construction taking place nearby.

Posted by: blasmaic | February 16, 2011 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@FedUpInMoCo

11301 Rockville Pike is the one in White Flint Mall, yes (ouch, their 4th biggest store worldwide). Whether it's technically in Kensington or not though is up for grabs -- the spa on the top floor claims to be in Kensington, the rest of the mall says its in North Bethesda per their mailing addresses, and they're essentially in the same building.

Posted by: forget@menot.com | February 16, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@Fed: I'm with you, I'll miss these Borders. Pretty sure the White Flint store was the very first Borders in the area - it started on the NW corner of Nicholson and Rockville Pike in the space most recently vacated by Anthropologie, then moved into WF Mall into the old I. Magnin space.

The Tysons was one of the next ones, but it suffered from bad access and relative size - it was much smaller than nearly all the Borders that followed, and I'm not sure if they ever got coffee service.

Bummer about the downtown space, but I bet that rent is just crushing.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | February 16, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Luckily the one in Waldorf close to where I live is staying open. It's a pretty good one and has a great selection of books. Contrary to what the pundits are saying, books with hard or soft covers and turnable pages ARE STILL IN. There are those of us who still prefer touchable books compared to the e-books. A Kindle may be able to hold more books, but it can never beat the beauty of a cover or a book with pictures inside.

Posted by: sjcsando | February 16, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TwoBuckChuck | February 16, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow 2 stores closing in Prince George's County. I wonder if our County officials are paying attention ... Tragic.

Posted by: EIEAR | February 16, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The store in Foxpoint, WI is one of the best Borders I've been to and it is on the cutting block. And it represents a book store that doesn't just sell pulp like most of them. A shame really.

Posted by: gabrielmunoz | February 16, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"That is really sad about the White Flint Borders. The Borders was the only reason I ever went to that mall."

And that is why that store isn't doing well enough to remain open. White Flint always seems so empty and really lacks any decent stores.

And technically, White Flint Mall is in Kensington (or it always was when I was growing up). North Bethesda/Rockville is on the other side of Rockville pike and north of Nicholson Ln. I think the "North Bethesda" term has been creeping farther and farther north on Rockville Pike.

Posted by: UMDTerpsGirl | February 16, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I was at the Borders in White Flint today. I cried. The store is a shell of what it once was. The biggest concentration of people were in the coffee bar area, most of them seated at tables using their laptops with the free wi-fi the store offers. I went looking for a certain compact disc up on the third floor. No luck. Would have bought it there if they had it. This was once more than a bookstore...it was a meeting place where people would gather for book signings and concerts...I even got to sing there once. Now, thanks to our 21st Century technology, no one talks to one another. Everyone is into their technology. Everyone is texting on their damned smartphones and reading their books on their iPads. This is what is wrong with the world today. Too many of us have forgotten that we are here for each other, but that's not what we want anymore. We can look everything up on our technology without bothering anyone else. Fine. You can do the same thing in your goddam room. Just stay there.

Posted by: sngwrtr525 | February 17, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

for me, the borders in friendship heights was an oasis.

Posted by: peartree | February 18, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Life won't be the same without being able to browse at a nearby Borders. Then again, I haven't actually bought anything at a Borders in the last ten years that wasn't steeply discounted (30-40% or more). In the Internet age, it's hard to justify paying full retail price for a book unless you need it right away, which rarely happens, and even then there's always Amazon's next-day shipping. But Borders at least has well-stocked magazine racks, which is more than I can say for the average newsstand or public library.

Fortunately there are Barnes & Noble stores close to most of these closing Borders locations -- I know of ones in Georgetown, downtown D.C., North Bethesda/Rockville, Bowie, and Vienna/Tysons. The closest one to Friendship Heights is in downtown Bethesda. But Largo appears to be out of luck.

Posted by: DrewDC | February 18, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse