Get Updates:  Twitter  |   Facebook  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed
Posted at 10:31 PM ET, 02/10/2011

Death Race: 'I paid to do this?'

By Terri Rupar

The video opens, asking "Looking to get away from it all?" Bucolic scenes of streams and trees flash by.

Then: "Well,"
...
"You picked the wrong weekend."

And it's on to people chopping wood, trekking and crawling through mud, and throwing up. Apparently, some people pay to participate, as one contestant points out. One person who plans to do just that is Bruce Allentuck of North Potomac, who's headed to Vermont in June to run the 2011 Death Race.

Check out the promotional (cautionary?) video:

Death Race from Pete Murphy on Vimeo.

What's the most extreme thing you've ever done?

Tell us your extreme tale -- or, better yet, if you're prepping for this year's Death Race, tell us what went into your routine by using #deathrace on Twitter.

By Terri Rupar  | February 10, 2011; 10:31 PM ET
Categories:  Your Take  | Tags:  The Buzz
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The shame of it all
Next: Buzz: Guandique, weather, Valentine's Day

Comments

Ah, another video with silly music in the background. These people must think so highly of themselves.

Posted by: password11 | February 11, 2011 8:44 AM | Report abuse

password11

You seem to think highly of yourself as you pass judgment on people with a different goal in life than yours.

Posted by: flonzy1 | February 11, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse

What is the craziest thing I have ever done. Boar hunting with a spear in clothing from the "Viking" era. I have slept on the ground in a maille shirt as part of a historical reenactment.

My hat is off the to people who are into extreme endurance races; I know I couldn't do it.

Posted by: flonzy1 | February 11, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

After a two day battle near the cambodian border ,with many casualties among my friends,watching a medic after being asked to care for several severly wounded enemy ,kill each one of them with his hands,no feeling ,no emotion ,no extreme excitement.

Posted by: schmidt1 | February 11, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey flonzy1 - Not passing judgment on anyone. Just making an observation. And how do you know what my goals are?

Posted by: password11 | February 11, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Shaved my head for charity. (single, 44 y.o. female) Turns out men don't care if you have hair or not.

Posted by: fsteinbach | February 11, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Slept under the bushes around the Lincoln Memorial on New Year's Eve, then in the morning walked most of the way back home in Fairfax.

Yeah, I know it's nowhere near as extreme as watching people die in Cambodia, but those were the cards this sheltered suburban kid was dealt.

Posted by: hitpoints | February 11, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I wanted to have some military service under my belt so I joined the VA National Guard and at 29 years of age was the second oldest guy going through basic at Ft. Benning in 1985. I honorably discharged after 7 years because after every drill I would be sick on Monday from the elements or exertion. But I always believed in Shakespeare's words: "...no man's too good to serve his King..!" So I did.

Posted by: steven7753 | February 11, 2011 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Cliff diving the 60' foot cliffs on the Potomac near Old Angler's Inn.

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | February 11, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Day 9, Florida phase, late January. That's all I have to say.

Posted by: Florentino666 | February 13, 2011 6:47 PM | Report abuse