Get Updates:  Twitter  |   Facebook  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed
Posted at 11:52 AM ET, 03/ 1/2011

'I Miss Fenty' bumper stickers - Would you buy one?

By Maggie Fazeli Fard

imissfenty450.jpg

It's been nearly six months since Vincent Gray supporters broke into a chorus of "Nah, Nah, Hey, Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye," bidding good riddance to Adrian Fenty's hard-charging style.

Now, as the new mayor deals with a series of PR nightmares - the "fully loaded" Kwamemobile (which, as it turns out, according to a council report, was illegal) and the firing of his aide, Sulaimon Browne, in just the last week - are Washingtonians ready to sing a different tune?

One entrepreneur certainly thinks so.

Bright green bumper stickers emblazoned with the words "I MISS FENTY" are now available for $4.95 at Zazzle.com, along with pins, baseball caps, T-shirts and a sticker asking, "Miss Rhee Yet?"

Tell us: Have you - or would you - buy one? Share your thoughts and photos of your Fenty nostalgia gear in the comments below.

For the latest on local politics: DeBonis | D.C. Wire

By Maggie Fazeli Fard  | March 1, 2011; 11:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: National Pancake Day: Free pancakes for a good cause
Next: Local Libyans look to remove "Gaddafi flag"

Comments

I wouldn't buy one, but I do miss Fenty!

Posted by: kcflood87 | March 1, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but I never liked Fenty and didn't vote for him for the council or mayor. I don't like the current band of idiots either and only ever voted for Catania.
We need better government in DC and hopefully the better candidates are out there thinking about running next time. One solution would be to go like Chicago with non-partisan primaries.

Posted by: blankspace | March 1, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

How about we vote for the least corrupt, most competent candidate regardless of color?

Posted by: kenk33 | March 1, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Absolutley not, The king and Queeen are dead. Let them eat cake.

Posted by: ggant | March 1, 2011 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: weaverf | March 1, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

It'll be a long, long time before Fenty or Rhee are missed by me. I know what they are about, and it's not about improving Washington, DC.

Posted by: blasmaic | March 1, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Miss Fenty? Here's what you do, think about the $80 million contract that went to Fenty's frat brother who was unqualified to do the work because he hadn't passed his engineering cerfication.

Miss him now?

Posted by: dcgirl3000 | March 1, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Hellz to the no!!!

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | March 1, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

No, I would not buy Miss Fenty's bumper sticker. I cannot afford it because of the furlough days I am facing.

Posted by: dccounselor72 | March 1, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I am proud that my old one ... and Fenty sign are still up.

ps @dcgirl... his 2 frat brothers contract was approved by the City Council (i.e. Vince Gray).. and it was a total of 2 mil.. and they were the ONLY contracts that came in on time and under budget..
please read WA PO article.. thank you.

Posted by: pdv1 | March 1, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@pdv1: I'm glad you are proud and stuck in a past time warp. I'd love to have Tony Williams as Mayor over either of these native Washingtonians, but, the train of life stops for nobody. You either move on or get left behind.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | March 1, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

hi concerned.. guess you missed my other posts.. i have moved on.. doesn't mean i am going to change a sticker (i.e. would you remove a Save Darfur?).

but as said.. you either put yourself on pause or move forward. Right now, Forward isn't looking very positive is it?

Posted by: pdv1 | March 1, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

miss Fenty?! you've got to be kidding! so happy he's gone I'm still on cloud nine!

Posted by: wpost36 | March 1, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Since you guys miss Fenty, can you please let the council know that you all will pick-up the $600 million tab he left the city!

Posted by: GoldCoast | March 1, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I sure do miss him! I need to get one of those!

Posted by: Blackbyrd | March 1, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@pdv1: DC is far from Darfur. At the end of the day, "I" am not going to stifle my progress due to the incompetance of native Washingtonian Mayor's and Councilmembers. It took Anthony Williams to bring the city into the black and away from the Control Board, it took a native Washingtonian (Fenty) to squander the 1 billion dollar surplus that Williams left him and, so far, another native Washingtonian to make that bad situation, worse.

We may have jumped from from the skillet into the fire, but I am not interest in jumping back into the skillet. You get burned either way.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | March 1, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Miss Fenty? I thought Fenty was married. It should be Mrs Fenty.

Posted by: MarilynManson | March 1, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I would TOTALLY buy one. I do miss Fenty. Whatever your problems may be with his personality, he got things DONE.

Posted by: jamdonaldson | March 1, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Well jamdonaldson thanks for stating that your anger is rooted in the who was elected and not really about the misuse of funds.

Do you miss:

83million was laundered to friends Skinner and OMG Karim were the middle men who received outrages “Fees” for construction contracts. The most interesting part is that neither past their engineering test and aren’t license to do the job.

Or when a check was issued for $2.5 million to Banneker Associates despite an on-going investigation

Or when a $75,000 heater installed in his favorite city pool (Hains Point)
Or when city money was used to throw a frat party

Or when the Summer Youth Program (years 2007 -2010) was overspent $30 million in the last three yrs

Or the Fire Truck Scandal (Please google Mr. David Jannarone) then Deputy Director of the Department of Housing and Community Development

Or when Peacholholics where given 10 million without written contracts or results.

Or when $400k was used to build doggy parks

Or when Security fee’s waive for some events. D.C. doesn’t collected need revenue. An example is the $485,000 fee waived for the National Marathon alone. In hard times like these are these wise decisions? Also how does the administration determine who is waived and who is not

Or when Grace Wiggins was fired b/c she sided with District residents seeking to keep their place of residents affordable

Or when unqualified individuals to influential boards where nominated

Or when police resources were used to stop traffic so that his friends can ride bikes

Or when the OCTO (Office of Cheif Tech Officer) Scandal (google Yusuf Acar) multimillion-dollar embezzlement scam w/kickbacks, contract steering and ghost employees. Also it's beleived that while several DC employees were fired many new employees are here on H1B visa's

Posted by: thelildiva4u | March 1, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

What, is this the first three words of his swearing in?

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | March 1, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

dear Concerned.. neither am I.. but progress was being made.. Now none is being made, yet the city is looking like fools.

They are an embarrassment.

Dear Lildiva4u - people have answered and responded to your statements for the last 4 months.. none of your claims have gone unanswered.. KEEP IT MOVING.

Maybe its time for a recall.

Posted by: pdv1 | March 1, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

That's a $7 million dollar bumber sticker:

the cost to us for his for firing teachers outside their rights.

Posted by: tcs1999 | March 1, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me.. this isn't about Fenty.. its about Gray...
are you afraid that too many people are learning the truth about Gray and that the truth will provide too much information about the current Mayor?

Posted by: pdv1 | March 1, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I miss the control board.

Posted by: pluperfectdc | March 1, 2011 8:56 PM | Report abuse