Get Updates:  Twitter  |   Facebook  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed
Posted at 10:55 AM ET, 03/ 2/2011

Sprinkles Cupcakes: Georgetown's new sugar fix

By Justin Jouvenal

sprinklesp.jpg
A Sprinkles Cupcakes store in Palo Alto, Calif. (Bloomberg)

Think the cupcake craze has hit a sugar crash? Think again.

Beverly Hills heavyweight and Food Network star Sprinkles Cupcakes is set to open its latest store in Georgetown on Thursday. The Los Angeles Times calls the shop "the progenitor of the haute cupcake craze," and Oprah declared her love for the sweet treats on her show, so the shop has some sweet bona fides.

Even better: Sprinkles will offer a free dark chocolate to the first 50 people to whisper "M Street" at the shop. Here's everything else you need to know in bite-size bits:

Location: 3015 M Street (cross 30th Street)

Cupcake flavors: In all, their Web site lists 24, including Ginger Lemon, Chai Latte, Vegan Red Velvet, Peanut Butter Chip, Banana and Cinnamon Sugar.

Price: $3.50 each or $39 for a dozen. Order here.

Number of stores: 11 including the new D.C. shop.

Chance of a G'town cupcake war?: Sprinkles's co-owner Charles Nelson tells Patch that "there's enough room for everyone." We'll see since Georgetown Cupcakes is only three blocks away.

You can read more about Sprinkles Cupcakes in our Capital Business profile from February. Talk to us: What do you think of the prospects for a Georgetown cupcake war?

By Justin Jouvenal  | March 2, 2011; 10:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A.M. Buzz: Fed workers, iPad, potholes
Next: Signs of spring: blooms, baseball and more

Comments

& this is news WHY!? Can't come up w/ any bigger 'scoop' than THIS!? STOP IT! It's not like I'll waste my time reading the article, & probably won't even stop past, if I happen to be in GT. LOL!

Posted by: The_Funknician | March 2, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm sticking with Georgetown Cupcake. They are out of this world, they're $.75 less expensive and I like supporting local businesses.

Posted by: dcfilm2 | March 2, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually kinda glad -I don't really like Cake Love (I like the owner, just not the bread), I like the cupcakes at 'Pastries by Randolph' in Arlington (but getting bored), and Georgetown Cupcakes is full of pompus 'you're lucky to get behind the velvet rope' posers.

Let's hope this new option from L.A. is down to Earth and figures out that there are more non-snootie-snoots around here with mad cash to spend on what I would call the 'ultimate, disposable dream' than there are the posers with cash.

Posted by: Capsheaf | March 2, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who passes up on Sprinkles obviously has not had their cupcakes. I've tasted every confection cake from GTown Cupcakes to Red Velvet Cupcakery and nothing comes close. If you don't think Sprinkles is a local business, think again. They are giving back to the community as seen in their recent donation of $25,000 to a DC charity made just yesterday. If you decide to pass then I thank you. That means shorter lines and more for me! ;-)

Posted by: DistrictDiva | March 2, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I definitely want to see if Sprinkles is worth it. Georgetown Cupcake is okay. They are kind of small for the price and pretty good tasting if you like cream cheese frosting. The service there is mediocre at best. I hope Sprinkles lives up to its reputation.

Posted by: lawkat73 | March 2, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown hasn't been cool for over 40 years. The only people who visit there are clueless tourists.

Posted by: johng1 | March 2, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Again, no mention of Baked & Wired?

Posted by: Georgetwoner | March 2, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Cupcake boutiques must the most counter-cyclical business going. Why would someone spend $3.50 on a cupcake? Because they don't have $13.50 for a sandwich.

Posted by: blasmaic | March 2, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Sprinkles is hands down the cupcake king...

GTown Cupcake and Baked and Wired are good...but Sprinkles is simply a step above. Can't resist when I am in LA.

Btw-People should check out Crumbs. A hidden gem. Easier to get to, and almost as good. A NYC staple for those not interested in the lines at Magnolia.

Posted by: justmy2 | March 2, 2011 11:16 PM | Report abuse

If you want to support a local cupcake business, check out Divinely Decadent Desserts in Brookland on 12th St NE, near Rhode Island Ave. http://www.thedivinedessert.com

Easy parking, and it is owned and run by a young DC woman who is living her dream of owning a bakery.

Posted by: WxProcrastinator | March 3, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

My wife brought home a box from Georgetown Cupcake excited about sharing with me what she had bought.

She opened the box and I saw these 2 very little cupcakes that look like they came out of a Holly hobby oven.

"No thanks hun, I'll get me some ice cream instead. Knock yourself out."

Sprinkles will get a chance to wow me.

Posted by: cbmuzik | March 3, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I thought
I had clicked on Mardi Gras......really i could care less about cupcakes!

Posted by: 10bestfan | March 3, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse