The Plot Twitters

This past weekend’s internet fad: the Twitter opera plot. The Omniscient Mussel, a classical music blogger, started a contest challenging one and all to summarize an opera plot in 140 characters or less on Twitter. By Sunday, a look at my Facebook home page was yielding gems like

Marie's dead. Marietta's alive. Paul thinks Marietta is Marie. Paul has dream. Paul doesn't murder anyone really. Bye-bye Bruges. (From Jessica Duchen.)

A couple of other favorites:

One lover's a diva, one's a doll, one's dead from singing, and one's diamond-crazed. Stick with the muse disguised as a student. (From Olivia Giovetti, who was particularly good at this.)
I dropped the atomic bomb and it went off. Wait, I feel guilty. Too late. Might as well sing pretentious poetry. (From Aaron M. Renn)

It’s open to question whether it was more fun to write them or to decode them. I trust all of my opera-savvy readers have identified these references, but feel free to write in with your guesses if you want confirmation. (Extra credit for naming the opera in which The Omniscient Mussel is a character.)

Alas, the contest ended at midnight last night. I would have been happy to follow it for another week.

By Anne Midgette  |  March 30, 2009; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  music on the Web , opera
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Classical 2.0: A Critic Joins the Blogosphere
Next: Opera (Debate) and Drama: Lebrecht, Wagner and Me

Comments

I bet there's also plenty of fun to be had with an opera spin-off of the "plotlines told via Facebook status updates" concept.

Posted by: molly_mindthegap | March 30, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Not to worry, you haven't missed the boat entirely, just the maiden voyage.

The contest will return shortly.

Posted by: MissMussel | March 30, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Several years ago my local public TV station showed as "filler" a short film on opera - it had Monty-Python-like animations of various opera plots told in very short summaries and a "body count" at the end of each. It was hilarious. I wonder if it's anywhere on the Internet.

Posted by: lee4713 | March 30, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

@Lee4713, did you mean this film, "All the Great Operas in 10 Minutes", by Kim Thompson?

For those who never caught this on PBS back in the day, it's totally worth sticking with till they get to the Ring cycle around 5:50.

Posted by: molly_mindthegap | March 31, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Die ägyptische Helena

Posted by: jecbrown | March 31, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The operas are Die Tote Stadt, Hoffman, and Dr. Atomic and last time I looked the Omniscent Mussel was Jill Grove.
Meanwhile, Opera Chic is welcoming Anne's new blog