Attila the Hunk

In today's Washington Post: Audi's "Attila" gains undeserved boos at the Met, by Anne Midgette.

Riccardo Muti's debut; Miuccia Prada's debut; first-ever Met "Attila": a lot of reviewers weighed in on this one. (Remember: most of us don't get to write our own headlines, though I would hazard a guess that Manuela Hoelterhoff did.)

Manuela Hoelterhoff in Bloomberg: The Hun Wears Prada.
Anthony Tommasini in The New York Times: A Hun Who Struggles to Conquer His Doubts.
James Jorden (aka La Cieca) in The New York Post: Hunny, I Shrunk the Met.
Edited to add: Peter G. Davis on MusicalAmerica.com: "Attila," by the Master.
Edited to add: Martin Bernheimer in the Financial Times: Attila.

I am amused at the fact that both Anthony Tommasini and I noted the resemblance of Odabella's hairdo to Marge Simpson's. I swear we didn't discuss it at intermission.

By Anne Midgette  |  February 25, 2010; 5:36 AM ET
Categories:  news , opera
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In performance: Ebène Quartet, minus one
Next: In performance: Mark O'Connor

Comments

When I have made my millions, I am going to do two things. The first will be bail out DC Opera, just to shut Snaketime1 up and so that he doesn't have an aneurysm over Cio Cio San. The second will be to give the biggest donation of all time to the Met on the proviso that every production in the upcoming season is directed by Calixto Beito. I don't like his work, but it would substantially thin the audience so that this ridiculous boo-ing could stop.

Posted by: ianw2 | February 25, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Ianw2, you anti-American aussies and elis can’t shut me up as long as there is American opera to champion. While Anne was in NYC, the Washington National Opera announced four more productions of Porgy and Bess from March 28 to April 3 (with the Virginia Opera staging two more productions locally in later April). That brings the WNO run of Porgy and Bess to 12 productions (with two more locally from the Virginia Opera), which is only two short of the WNO 2010-11 productions of Madama Butterfly. (However, Virgina Opera will also be staging Madama Butterfly in Fairfax just after the WNO completes its 14 opera run.)

Tonight at 7 PM, at the National Museum of American History, the WNO discusses its upcoming production of Porgy and Bess. Participants include conductor John Mauceri, assistant artistic director Rita D’ Angelo Tikador, and Dwight Bowers, curator of music at the National Museum of American History. Eric Owens (Porgy), Morenike Fadayomi (Bess), and Jermaine Smith (Sportin' Life) will perform highlights from the opera. FREE and open to the public.

Posted by: snaketime1 | February 25, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I find it unbelievable the the person singularly responsible for destroying the Philadelphia Orchestra is now praised with extravagant phrases such as "legendary."

Legendary? I don't remember one single Riccardo Muti concert or recording for which I had the reaction: "yes, this is a performance for the ages." Legendary destroyer, perhaps.

Good luck Chicago! You will need it!

Posted by: cicciofrancolando | February 25, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the anti-booers need to come up with some chants to silence the pro-booers? I like the temperance chant: "No more boos, No more boos..."

Posted by: prokaryote | February 25, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

As someone that produces opera for a living, I actually think booing can be a good thing. It doesn't, and shouldn't, affect the production choices at the top, and usually those booed productions become beloved piece of the repertoire. But, it shows an audience engaged and passionate. I am glad to see that energy in North America, unlike the polite apathy that used to reside at the Met.

Pierre Audi, however, is a professional hack. He is a fantastic window dresser, but doesn't have the faintest clue what to do with singers or actors. On the most basic level of technique as a director, he is fundamentally lacking at everything except pretty pictures. Here in Amsterdam he has been at the Netherlands Opera for over 20 years(!!!), and now is at the Holland Festival too. It is too much, and we need a change.

Posted by: lepetitprinceboi | February 26, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse