RIP Cesare Siepi

Parterrebox.com reports, based on a posting from Martin Bernheimer, that the great Italian bass Cesare Siepi died today in Atlanta.

They didn't come much better than this.

A small example:

As my husband just observed, he could have gotten 1,003 women in Spain by singing a couple of phrases of music.

Edited to add: In Wednesday's Washington Post: Opera singer Cesare Siepi dies at 87, by Anne Midgette.

By Anne Midgette  |  July 5, 2010; 7:45 PM ET
Categories:  news , opera
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: American opera: small is the word
Next: In performance: Grace Church Bach Festival

Comments

So Parterre Box and Opera-L are now good enough sources for the Post? Wish I could say I was surprised.

In any event, RIP Cesare.

Posted by: geddaisgod | July 5, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

The critic Martin Bernheimer is a good enough source for the Post, wherever he makes his information known.

Posted by: Anne Midgette | July 6, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Cesare Siepi was always my favorite singer. I have many of his recordings. RIP, Cesare. You're the best!

Posted by: mckaiser | July 6, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I have great memories of seeing Cesare Siepi in the 1950s. My father took me as a young boy to see him star in 'The Marriage of Figaro' at the old New York Metropolitan Opera House in Manhattan. I used to sing along to his records that my parents had at home. Siepi was a great singer and had a tremendous stage presence. He will always be remembered.

Posted by: lonlandis | July 7, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

One of Siepi's trademark flourishes in Don was to throw his empty champagne glass over his shoulder at the end of his aria and have his sidekick (Ezio Flagello) catch it. I loved it.

Posted by: JohnRDC | July 7, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse