Posted at 9:45 AM ET, 12/14/2010

Classical conversation: WETA

By Anne Midgette

On the website of Classical WETA, I talk with Deb Lamberton about working with Leon Fleisher on his memoir "My Nine Lives."

By Anne Midgette  | December 14, 2010; 9:45 AM ET
Categories:  books
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Christmas catch-up
Next: YAP

Comments

This post made me realize that in all your talk of classical music on this blog that there has been little mention or discussion of WETA-FM. It would be interesting to hear from your readers what they think of WETA programming now that it has been essentially taken over by WGMS. Are people tired of hearing the same thing over and over again? Are people tired of hearing pieces butchered so that they fit conveniently into an appointed time slot? Or, are people so grateful for any classical music in this market that they'll take what WETA plays? Or...perhaps people have taken to listening over the Internet and don't bother with broadcast radio anymore. What do you think?

Posted by: newcriticalcritic | December 14, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I gave up on broadcast radio soon after WGMS was unceremoniously yanked off the air and bought myself a subscription to satellite radio. I now listen to complete operas, a wide range of symphonic pieces, and more non-classical stations than you can shake a stick at (the bluegrass station alone is worth the price of the subscription). WGMS had its faults, but Dennis Owens and the other announcers were great. Oh, well, life goes on.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | December 14, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I went over to Baltimore's WBJC (91.5) when WETA went over to news/talk in 2005. By that time, WGMS had already long gone over to "classical top 40" and I could not abide depending on them as an alternative. As I've said before in this forum, I'm quite familiar w/ Mozart & Vivaldi, thank you; I need not hear either gentleman every hour. Even more painful, I can remember the long-gone days when GMS would play living composers, "fringe" guys like Szymanowski & K.A. Hartmann and offbeat works such as Mozart's Alpenhorn and harmonica concerti. When WETA went back to music, I feared the worst and was not disappointed; indeed, they inherited GMS' recipe for "Crap-Pop in the Western Tradition".

WBJC hosts have distinct personalities, tastes and apparently program much of their own material. Its definitely superior to anything DC's had to offer in the last 10-15 years.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | December 14, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I used to listen to WETA in the morning while I was having breakfast and getting ready for work. However after I'd heard the Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances for what felt like the third time in a week, I switched to radioclassique.fr online and haven't looked back (despite their disturbingly regular plays of the Mendelssohn violin concerto & the Grieg piano there is still enough unrecognisable fare to keep me interested).

Posted by: ianw2 | December 14, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse