The Checkout

How Did Your Online Shopping Experience Rate?

If you shopped online over the holidays and had a good experience at Netflix, Amazon, LL Bean and QVC, you were not alone. These were the top scoring online retailers in a customer satisfaction survey by ForeSee Results, a Website satisfaction survey development company.

But ForeSee noted that customers were not as satisfied with these retailers as they had been just a few months earlier, a sign that consumer's expections were not met during the holidays. In fact, only one online retailer, Buy.com, posted a gain in customer satisfaction since the spring, ForeSee said. (Click here to register with Foresee and download the report)

The retailers with the lowest level of satisfaction: CompuUSA, Kmart and Sears. And those that saw the biggest drop in customer satisfaction since last spring: Toys R Us, Old Navy, Sears and JC Penney.

Reduced customer satisfaction online doesn't mean consumers will shop less on the Internet, said ForeSee's president Larry Freed. But customers' loyalty will suffer if their expectations are not met, he said. Freed did not have figures for the traditional bricks and mortar stores but said that typically online retailers post higher scores.

Any thoughts? How were your experiences with these and other retailers over the holidays? Tell me in the comments or during my live chat at 1 p.m. today when I address this and other consumer issues.

By  |  January 12, 2006; 7:00 AM ET Customer Service
Previous: Test Your ID Theft Smarts | Next: Most Credit Counseling Firms Lose Tax Exempt Status

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I think this study is warranted but not earth shattering. Online shopping today is becoming standard modus operandi for many people. Some glitches occur, just as they occur when you go to a store and get a cart mark on your door, etc. It's much riskier to tell someone your credit card number over the telephone than it is to transmit it over the internet.

Posted by: Matt | January 12, 2006 3:21 PM

Scorecard for Christmas online shopping: one mis-identified battery charger and battery, cost: $35.00, still awaiting refund; one missing set of pots and pans due to a mis-delivery, cost $175, still fighting for refund; one successfully delivered set of jewelry; one successfully delivered t-shirt. I'm not sure the stress of dealing with online shopping and those hideous 1-800 numbers makes it worth the effort.

Posted by: Wayne | January 12, 2006 5:41 PM

This is pretty interesting. If what Freed says is true, smaller retailers could really be taking advantage of the holes in customer service for the big retailers. To respond to Matt, the first commenter, that's the point of the study right? Not whether people will keep shopping online or not, but if they will buy as much from these guys. In Caroline's chat today, it seems pretty clear that people have consistent problems with some online retailers.

Posted by: Chris | January 12, 2006 7:30 PM

Amazon let me down this year, and I've always had such good experiences with them in the past. It is interesting to read when your experiences are mirroring those of the public at large.

Posted by: Carolyn | January 12, 2006 7:33 PM

LL Bean order supposedly went through online but I never received a confirmation. When it was too late to reorder, I called and they had not transferred the order to the appropriate place and it was never received or shipped. Very disappointed and hope to never have to online order from LL Bean again.

Posted by: Judy | January 13, 2006 4:05 PM

All my online shopping, most of which was done fairly early, worked like a charm. Vendors included Amazon, Sears, Carmike Cinemas (gift certificates for movie tickets), Barnes & Noble, BestBuy, Mindware, American Girl, and Oompa. I'm thrilled to have this alternative. Am just not into malls.

Posted by: JRG | January 13, 2006 4:19 PM

Nearly everyone I know who did any online shopping experienced some problem. Most, actually, were USPS issues.

I had ordered something from someone on eBay. Took nearly a month to arrive. Sure enough, postmark was Dec 12 (from MI), as seller had told me.

Mu daughter had problems with Amazon, which I've never experienced and I do much business with them throughout the year. One of the Christmas gifts to me is still "somewhere."

Still beats spending time, gas, and avoids flu germs at the Maine Mall.

Posted by: Mainer | January 14, 2006 2:14 PM

The idea that Buy.com apparently had a high rating is completely contrary to my experience. I'm in my third month of trying to straighten out an error that they made. Never again.

Posted by: Hanuman | February 14, 2006 9:40 PM