The Checkout

An Unsettling Subscriber Glitch

A scary slip-up indeed. The Boston Globe today sent a message to its subscribers about what it calls "an unfortunate event" that happened over the weekend.

The event: Confidential credit and bank account information of Globe and Telegram & Gazette (of Worcester, Mass.) was inadvertently disclosed on the back of slips used to label bundles of the Sunday Telegram. The records of about 240,000 customers may have been released.

The Globe said it was notifying the four major credit card companies, contacting the banks of its subscribers and mailing notices to affected customers. Meanwhile, it warned its readers to monitor their credit card bills and bank statements carefully. That's good advice to follow all the time--even if you're not a Globe subscriber.

By  |  February 1, 2006; 1:06 PM ET Consumer News
Previous: Leading the Fight Against Lead | Next: Now's Your Chance to Sound Off on Air Fare Pricing

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

A horrible glitch indeed. I subscribe to the Illinois Foreclosure Listing Service, http://www.ilfls.com, and they let verisign handle all of their transactions...sham on you Globe!!

Posted by: Peter Georgiev | February 1, 2006 8:56 PM

A horrible glitch indeed. I subscribe to the Illinois Foreclosure Listing Service, http://www.ilfls.com , and they let verisign handle all of their transactions...shame on you!!!

Posted by: Peter Georgiev | February 1, 2006 8:57 PM

I am one of those subscribers whose credit card number is on the Boston Globe list that was sent to more than 200 ventors etc. What I want to know is why in heavens name it is not manditory that all financial information that is printed out - by mistake or otherwise - is not shredded. That is beyond sloppy - I have cancelled that credit card and cancelled my payment method for the
Globe. Now they can waste their money mailing me a monthly statement for me to pay by other means - maybe rolls of pennies

Posted by: Mary Harada | February 2, 2006 5:01 PM

I agree with Mr. Georgiev. Anyone dealing with identity theft knows just how painful and stressful of a process it can be. I only use sites such as the Illinois foreclosure help http://www.homeadvocacy.com with my credit card transactions.

Posted by: Josh | February 27, 2006 9:42 PM

That's what we call bankruptcy.

Posted by: Snazzy | August 30, 2006 9:57 AM