Two Important Recalls
The Consumer Product Safety Commission today announced two very important recalls, one involving 5.6 million fans that are fire hazards; the other a crib that resulted in the death of a 19-month-old baby.
The Aspen 3 in 1 crib (which bears a Graco logo) was recalled by the CPSC in December 2005. At that time, the company had reported 14 reports of problems, after the wooden mattress supports came loose. That allowed a portion of the mattress to fall, posing a suffocation hazard to infants who can slide down and become entrapped between the unsupported mattress and the end of the crib. There had been eight reports of entrapment but no deaths, until Jan. 6., when the infant suffocated after he became entrapped between the mattress and footboard of the bed. The crib was sold in department stores between August 2003 and May 2005 for about $130. If you think you have this crib, or know anyone who does, please check the CPSC for details.
As for the fans, the CPSC says consumers should stop using them immediately because they have been linked to 42 reports of fires, possibly asociated with motor failures, including seven reports of injuries, including burns and smoke inhalation. At least eight of the reported fires resulted in extensive property damage.
The fans were sold under the names Lasko, General Electric, Galaxy and Air King Brand Box and Pivoting Floor Fans in discount department stores between September 2000 and Febarury 2004 for between $10 and $25. Again, for more details, check with the CPSC.
Please email us to report offensive comments.
Posted by: Sherri | February 9, 2006 6:56 PM
Posted by: washingtonpost.com | February 9, 2006 8:38 PM
The comments to this entry are closed.