The Checkout

Child's Death Prompts Recall

Reebok is recalling about 300,000 heart-shaped charm bracelets after a 4-year-old died from lead poisoning after swallowing a piece of the jewelry, the Consumer Product Safety Commission reported in a news release today. The news release also has a photo of the bracelet. Here's an AP story on the recall as well. And check back tomorrow, when I'll have a fuller story and more information.

By  |  March 23, 2006; 1:19 PM ET Consumer Alerts
Previous: A Personal Way to Fight Global Warming? | Next: Update on Bracelet Recall

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.



Why is this even happening? Why are manufacturers still allowed to put lead in products for children?! I think we need to recall our government if they don't issue strong laws with harsh penalties against such practices.

Posted by: Elle | March 23, 2006 3:20 PM

It's a bracelet, not an altoid. Maybe the parents should have been paying better attention to what their four year old was doing.
Before we go recalling the government, maybe we should have parents take a stupid test before they're allowed to procreate.

Posted by: Joe | March 24, 2006 1:51 AM

Joe, are you a parent? It seems unlikely, with your careless statement. The first poster had a great point. Why are companies still allowed to make small products intended for the use of children that contain so much lead? It doesn't make sense, that there was so much lead in the item that it actually killed the child? Please rethink your comment

Posted by: Kat | March 24, 2006 10:50 AM

According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention MMWR Dispatch (Vol. 55, 3/23/06), the charm bracelet (and the Reebok shoes) belonged to another child whose home the 4-year old boy had visited. From page 2 of this MMWR Dispatch: "The mother was not aware that her son had ingested the charm, and he had no history of ingesting nonfood items."

Posted by: Leadprogram | March 24, 2006 12:04 PM

Joe, it's a child, not a robot. You can't turn a child off when you aren't directly looking at him/her. Parents can't keep their children in their site at ALL times and it only takes a second to put something small in your mouth and swallow it. Get real!

Posted by: Elle | March 24, 2006 4:49 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 

© 2010 The Washington Post Company