The Checkout

Segways Recalled

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has recalled about 23,500 Segways because they can "apply reverse torque to the wheels, which can cause a rider to fall." If you own a Segway, read here for more information. You can find a full list of Segway dealers by Zip code here.

By Stacey Garfinkle |  September 14, 2006; 2:09 PM ET Recalls
Previous: Buy Your Way to Enlightenment | Next: Who Should Regulate Cellphone Carriers?

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

In that case, the guy I saw fall off of his at the corner of K and 15th this morning might want to take his Segway in right away...

Posted by: Swingset Abby | September 14, 2006 4:03 PM

This is a device with two wheels on which a user stands on a small platform. Doesn't it make sense that some riders will fall?

Posted by: Jim Grant | September 14, 2006 4:28 PM

Yeah, it makes sense that some riders will fall, but it's probably fair for them to expect the device will not suddenly shift into reverse.

Posted by: h3 | September 14, 2006 5:16 PM

I'd rather drive sitting down anyway!

Posted by: Joseph Brenner | September 14, 2006 5:22 PM

I bet this will bankrupt the company.

Posted by: alex e | September 14, 2006 9:33 PM

I personally find them a bit irritating (why do we need one more machine to do our work for us - ride a bike or walk, a good number of our waistlines need it), and some owners obnoxious (I don't straddle my bike and take it into a store/coffeeshop to order something, so why do some segway owners feel like that's perfectly fine?). But, I highly doubt this will bankrupt the company "alex e", no more than routine auto recalls bankrupt car companies. I'm guessing segway owners feel like they're in a little "club" and are pretty loyal.

Posted by: Arlington | September 15, 2006 9:00 AM

I'm sure it will bankrupt the company because the Segway is all this company sells and they've only been selling them for a few years. They simply don't have the money from 50-100 years in business to fall back on to back up this recall.

Posted by: Wes | September 15, 2006 9:13 AM

Man, you people need to pay attention. The recall is for a software upgrade, not to replace parts. This recall will damage the company rep but not make them bankrupt.

Posted by: me | September 15, 2006 10:07 AM

These devices will cause a revolution because they will allow people to get out of their cars. They ought to be "perfected" with good batteries and software when people really need them. Besides, many can not walk and need these alternatives to wheel chairs. We will see a whole new class of travel that is not enough to justify a car, but more than one can do on foot. It is possible that the towns of the future will be based on these devices and have narrow streets with a ring for cars.

Posted by: Gary Masters | September 15, 2006 5:55 PM

I doubt this will bankrupt the company, because there already was a recall on the devices three years ago when the company was much younger. (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03553.html)
But yes, it will hurt them and their rep.

They would have had a shot to revolutionize transportation, but like many nascent technologies, it was simply too expensive. You could get a used motorcycle, or a new scooter for the price of one, and that would have a much greater range if not free reign on sidewalks.

Posted by: Ed M | September 15, 2006 9:46 PM