The Checkout

This Clerk's Last Sale at The Checkout

It's time for me to check out from The Checkout. This blog will continue--under the very able hands of Annys Shin, who has also taken over the consumer beat at The Washington Post. As a Post reporter, Annys has wrestled some pretty tough alligators, including Dan Snyder and Fannie Mae, so her armor's already tough enough to take on all the consumer issues that come at us.

As for me, I've had a great time at The Checkout. From the very first day the blog launched last January, you've been great readers, and I've enjoyed chatting with you. I've even enjoyed listening to you--even those who have taken me to task. Indeed, you've kept me very humble.

But it's time to move on to other endeavors, something I set out to do in June when I retired from The Post. I still hope to be an active monitor of consumer issues. And I still plan to blog. Starting Sept. 18, I'll be joining a new blog that's being launched by Consumer Reports. This one will specialize on product safety.

I remain eager and curious to learn of your concerns. Please feel free to e-mail me at caroline@carolinemayer.com. You can reach Annys at thecheckout@washpost.com.

So, as the clerks say in the checkout lane, "Thanks for shopping here and come again." I'm sure Annys will take great care of you.

By  |  September 8, 2006; 6:50 AM ET Etc.
Previous: Cookie Monsters | Next: Valiant Verizon

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Thanks for your excellent work covering Business. Your articles have been thorough and reliable. Plus, I enjoyed your work at The Washington Star. That was a very good newspaper which is missed.

Posted by: Bill | September 8, 2006 8:25 AM

asdf

Posted by: asdf | September 8, 2006 10:54 AM

Best of luck to you!

Posted by: Arl | September 8, 2006 11:16 AM

I would have to disagree. The articles here have been anything but thorough and reliable.

Posted by: bkp | September 8, 2006 11:40 AM

Congratulations on the Consumer Reports gig. I knew blogging would get in your blood. Good luck!

Posted by: Justin McHenry | September 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Well, "bkp," I've been wishing for quite some time that you would subscribe to the "If you can't say something nice.." school of thought and you didn't let me down this time either.

Thanks, Caroline, for the thought-provoking blog! Even when you didn't have all the answers, the participants shared lots of information after you opened the door. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Posted by: Misnya | September 8, 2006 1:51 PM

Thanks for sharing interesting and thought provoking things for us to think about.

This type of reporting should get a wider audience.

Hope the new person keeps up the tradition exposing the bad guys.

Posted by: VA | September 8, 2006 2:26 PM