The Checkout

The Safeway Sandwich Snarl

A reader wrote in recently saying she wanted to hear more stories from average consumers. Lest you all think I'm here just to hog the spotlight, I will gladly oblige with today's tale of woe from Kate Schwarz of Fairfax.

Now, I submit that the injustice Kate suffered isn't life threatening or even sinister. But it's an example of one of those everyday annoyances of modern life in which the internal bureaucratic workings of a business produce bizarre and nonsensical results for consumers that deserve to be chronicled somewhere, if only so we can commiserate.

Kate, take it away.

I have been struggling to reconcile Safeway's inability to properly count my signature sandwich purchases for over a year.

Since the exact terms and constraints of this program (buy 7 signature sandwiches, get the 8th one free) are not published anywhere, it's impossible for Safeway customers to know the reality of how difficult it is to achieve a free sandwich. I hope you will consider publishing this info on your Web site or in an article since it is clearly
a case of poor customer treatment.

With almost 1,600 stores throughout the United States, Safeway has divided its the stores into separate geographic divisions. Such organizational structures are meant to benefit the company, and should never affect its
customers. In Safeway's case, however, the geographic divisions are the major roadblocks to earning a free sandwich.

If you purchase a signature sandwich in the Washington, D.C. metro area (D.C., Va., Md.) and another sandwich in Colorado, you will spawn 2 different sandwich counts, so you will have 1 sandwich in each geographic division,
not 2 altogether, as one would reasonably expect. So Safeway inflicts its own organizational structure on this program without telling its customers, thereby making it harder to earn a free sandwich, especially if you travel
to different parts of the U.S.

After spending many hours e-mailing and calling to find out why my sandwich purchases in the eastern U.S. were being counted separately from those in the western U.S., Safeway finally described its 4 geographic divisions, as follows:

Denver Division (CO, NE, NM, WY)
Phoenix Division (AZ)
Portland Division (OR and Vancouver, WA.)
Eastern Division (DC, MD, VA)

To add in insult to injury, Safeway recently (between 8/13/06 & 9/23/06) made some kind of a change in its point of sale system, so that my Eastern sandwich count was subtracted and reset to one. I'd find it hard to believe
that my account was the only one affected by this system change. One wonders why this error occurred, and how much its costs Safeway to have angry customers calling to reconcile their sandwich purchases.

I have tried to resolve this issue via the phone, but no one seems capable of performing a few keystrokes to recover my Eastern sandwich count. Safeway is perfectly capable of accumulating my bonus airline miles (into
the triple digits) regardless of where I make grocery purchases, so why can't it master grade school math to increment sandwich purchases regardless of geography?

A note to readers: I've been waiting for two days on a response from our local Safeway public relations rep and I will post his reply here.

What is the strangest byproduct of corporate bureaucracy you've ever come across?

By Annys Shin |  November 9, 2006; 7:00 AM ET Consumer News
Previous: You've Been SMiShed | Next: So That's Where My Drugs Come From

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?

Posted by: jmcdon7230 | November 9, 2006 8:45 AM

dont feel left out. even here in Phoenix Az there seems to be a difference in the way different Safeway stores count the sandwiches. i went to one store for a year and got the correct count and the freebie. i went to a 2nd store a few miles away. when it came time to get the freebie i had to pay full price for it up front and was given a voucher for the next time and it was for particular sandwiches only, not any kind that i wanted and only a half.

Posted by: mel meter | November 9, 2006 8:57 AM

I actually found myself in a Seinfeld episode when my wife and I flew to Hawaii. I'd made all the arrangements for a hotel and rental car, got confirmations for both that they'd be ready, so my expectations were that I would have a car when I touched down in Honolulu.

When we got to the rental car kiosk, however, I was told that my rental car was not here.

Why not, I asked, since I had a reservation and the rental car company had given me a confirmation that yes, they had reserved the car.

Because it was already rented out to someone else, was the reply.

So why did I have to reserve a car if you were just going to rent it out to someone else? I asked (rather reasonably, I thought).

Because, she replied, if I had not reserved a car then there wouldn't be one for me when I got here.

This kind of circular logic was making my head hurt by now, so I asked the attendant what were we to do, since my wife and luggage were here but there was no car for us. Well, she said hesitantly, she could upgrade us to the next higher category of vehicle for no extra charge. Turns out that was a Ford Expedition (our reserved vehicle was a midsized car)!

This wasn't an isolated situation either; when we flew to Hilo on that same trip, the same thing happened to us. There, however, instead of an Expedition offered as an upgrade, we got a brand new Ford Mustang convertible. Sweet!

Posted by: John | November 9, 2006 8:59 AM

From now on, I'm not driving to Colorado when I want a sandwich.

Posted by: James Joyner | November 9, 2006 9:29 AM

Since I purchase nearly all of my Safeway sandwiches at one of two local stores I never gave this much thought, but I do check my register receipt after each purchase to make sure that I have the correct number of credits. The POS change, however, gives me cause to look at this again, especially to see if it affected my Starbucks purchases. Like the sandwiches, after seven drink (non-drip coffee) you get one free. Over the past two years I probably have a dozen free venti mocha lattes and 10 free sandwiches.

One feature (oversight?) of the Safeway program is that I can purchase seven 6" sandwiches and get a 12" for free. The same goes for Starbucks. While the Starbucks kiosk at my local Safeway does not have the ambience of the Starbucks right next door, there is rarely a line and I get free drinks.

Posted by: Lester Burnham | November 9, 2006 9:33 AM

The Coaxial of Evil. Cable companies are the devil. This is the story of how it took 2 years to get an exposed cable properly burried. At my former house in Texas we had a couple cable posts in our back yard. Ever since moving in there was cable exposed and I would call every week to try to get them to burry it. Of course every time I called I was shuffled around, put on hold, had to explain my story at least 4 times to different people, and ultimately told a work order was going to be put in, or I was disconnected by someone who thought it was funny and had to start all over. They would never come and bury the cable. One team was finally sent out and sprinkled dirt over it and told me they burried it. I went out gardening and discovered not only did they not bury the cable, but it was outside the easement where it was supposed to be. I discovered this a few different times when I accidently cut the cable when trying to dig through the rocky clay like substance that passes for dirt in Tx. Oh well. They sent people out right away then to repair it, but always told me a separate work-order would be required to bury the cable. So, more wasted hours on the phone!

In theory, if the technicians needed access to the posts in my yard, they were supposed to knock or ring the doorbell before opening the gate and waltzing onto my property. That happened just once in 2 years. The rest of the time they just opened the gate and went at it. This happened at least twice a month. The worst was early one weekend morning- my wife and I were eating breakfast in the kitchen. I was sitting with my back to the sliding glass door using the early sunlight to brighten the paper. My wife was walking past-in her nightgown- and froze. I knew something was wrong and asked. She said, "there's a man." Indeed there was. He was actually walking up towards the glass door from our back yard. I threw it open and confronted him asking him who he was and what he was doing on my property. He said he was with Time Warner to work on the post. He was not wearing anything that would identify him as such, and in my best military voice I told him so, and I let him know that I was from Florida and had I been a true native Texan I'd have probably shot him on principal, but as it was he had just a few short seconds to get off my property and have Time Warner call me before I called the cops- only after beating the $#!7 out of him first. Time Warner actually called me for a change! I again complained about the unburried cable, and they told me this guy was only able to work on the post today, but they would send someone out the following week. Surprise- Nobody showed up. Despite countless hours of my life wasted on the phone, and endless lies and hollow apologies from company weenies I did not go berzerk.
Almost 2 years later I got someone helpful who told me that they had a completed work order on file dated about a year ago and that's why a new work order was not being made, because the sub-contractor had said they did the work and gotten paid. Despite my numerous calls, despite the fact that the cable was bright orange and draped over a fence-instead of threaded under the fence like usual- for about 4 months while people worked on the posts once or twice a month, nobody actually checked the subcontractor's report that it was burried against the reality that it was exposed. None of the workers ever said anything about the cable. How is it that all my calls were taken and ignored? I'd been trying for so long to get my cable burried. Finally, just before selling the house I miraculously got in touch with someone who got a work order submitted to get the thing burried. I watched them get the equipment into the back yard- to make sure they were going to actually do it. The only time they could come was when we had someplace to be, of course, but I wanted to make sure it got done- and a good thing too! I was busy getting ready and heard the equipment going- a very encouraging noise! I eventually looked out back to view the progress. They had carved a deep line across the middle of my back yard! The easement is for about a foot worth of space on the inside of my fence. I made sure I let them know! They had to start all over again! I called the cable company and they wouldn't even give me a comp for my 2 years of torture, much less the scar of dead grass the idiots left across my yard. I got an apology instead and "thanks for being a Time Warner customer!" As if I had a choice! Fast forward a couple months, I've moved to Arlington and already paid my last bill. I get another bill. Evidently the cut-off order didn't go through. I explained I had terminated my service a month ago. They told me I still had a balance unpaid and they were going to send my info to a credit agency. Despite the HOURS of my life I had to waste trying to straighten their mess, they wanted me to pay them! I should have been getting paid. Knowing it was futile to fight, I gave up and said, look, I've been fighting with the company for over 2 years now trying to get things done, and I just want to cut all ties. Can I just pay now over the phone and walk away and never have to worry about Time Warner of San Antonio again? The phone tech said she was sorry to hear about all the problems, and that yes I could pay over the phone and that would be the last I heard from Time Warner. I paid. A month later I got another bill, this time for about five dollars! They didn't tell me it would cost money to pay over the phone! I was haunted and plagued by these evil liars! Could nothing get rid of them? More threatening mail from them! More useless phone calls back. Finally, just a month or so ago, I got in touch with someone who said, oh, that's easy, I can just erase the five dollar charge from your account. They did, and I haven't heard anything from them sense. Thank God! I should get free cable, phone, and internet from them for life for the heck they put me through! I wish my problems were as simple as missing out on a free sandwich! Where is the REAL customer service?

Posted by: Chris | November 9, 2006 9:43 AM

Posted by: T | November 9, 2006 9:57 AM

Hey, it's a sandwich...from Safeway no less!

Why not, instead of purchasing a sandwich, use your money more wisely and buy the fixings and make them yourself? The money you spend on seven sandwiches (I'm estimating $5/sandwich here) would enable you to buy fixings for more than twice that number.

Just a thought, but this is a financially-centric blog, is it not?

That being said, yes, the internal organizational structure should allow for purchases of signature sandwiches across business units to be collected under a single account vs. multiple ones. Just one more way companies are looking out more for their bottom line rather than their customers. I guess taking care of their bottom line is more important than their customers, however, if they don't take care of their customers, their bottom line will take care of itself!

I've never been a big fan of Safeway so I don't shop there much. I've never understood why the stick the frozen foods in the middle of the store.

Posted by: Sam F. | November 9, 2006 10:21 AM

I called Verizon to have my service transferred because I was moving.

I called on October 3rd and requested a disconnect and transfer for Oct 21st. They disconnected my telephone and internet an hour after I hung up with them.

What was better, in order for them to reconnect it I had to be at home, which meant taking a day off of work.

Why not a few hours, like 8 - 12? Because they gave me a "window" of 8am - 6pm. I told them that wasn't a "window" it was a DAY and they would have to reimburse me for missing a day of work. They told me that wasn't their responsibility.

Never did get my service turned back on, but they did call me four days after I moved out to tell me they needed to be let into my (old) house for the disconnect.

The incompetence at that company is astounding and the worst part is, I have no choice but to use them (can't have cable in my neighborhood). Ugh.

Posted by: NoPhone | November 9, 2006 10:25 AM

That happened to me too, but I figured my epic cable adventure weighed a little more. By the way, it's happened to me with Time Warner AND Verizon. I have a friend here who says it happened with Comcast. NOBODY is safe!

Posted by: NoPhone | November 9, 2006 10:35 AM

Dang, I put in Nophone when I meant to put my name and write to Nophone... ROFLMAO that was such a noob mistake. sorry. :)

Posted by: Chris | November 9, 2006 10:37 AM

We had a similar annoying issue with one of Safeway's promotions. Awhile back, they were giving away two movie vouchers if you bought a certain number of some brands of frozen food items (it was a tie-in with the Ice Age movie). We bought the promoted items, but didn't realize until we got home that we never got our vouchers. So on our next shopping trip, we bought more frozen food (luckily they were all items we buy regularly anyway) - still no vouchers. We asked the checkout clerk, and she said that we must not have qualified for the promotion, since the vouchers were supposed to print out automatically at the register. Then we went to customer service to ask why we hadn't gotten our vouchers. The manager actually took our receipt and walked through the frozen food section with us, counting off the qualifying items we had purchased. When he was satisfied that yes, we were supposed to be getting vouchers, he said sorry, the store was out of vouchers now, but should be getting some mailed in next week! He gave us a raincheck with instructions to come back in a week. My husband did go back and we finally got our vouchers. Personally, I'm still angry that they had signs for this promotion plastered all over the store, but they made it just about as difficult as they possibly could have for us to actually get the reward. I still wonder how many people made the qualifying purchases but never got their free movie tickets because they didn't have the time or inclination to jump through all the hoops.

Posted by: AMPG | November 9, 2006 10:41 AM

Back when I was living paycheck to paycheck I decided to open a savings account and have $250 a month transferred into it from my checking account. My bank (Signet, which has probably had 10 names since the mid-90's) was happy to set this up to occur automatically each month. I needed money for my wedding, so I emptied and closed my savings account and was monitoring my checking account very closely since I was living on a thin margin.

About a week after paying my bills, I came home one day to a bunch of those dreaded thin letters from the bank. I couldn't understand, as I was watching my money so closely, how had I bounced all these checks?

I went to the bank and they explained my error- I never asked them to stop the automatic transfer of the $250 a month out of my checking account. They took the money out a day before the checks for the bills started to post, and it took them two days to put it back. In the meantime, I'm racking up returned check fees from the utilities and insufficient funds fees from the bank.

I asked why would I even think to cancel a transfer into a savings account that didn't exist anymore? Did they have a written policy somewhere that explained this was my responsibility? And why did it take two days for the funds to be replaced into my account?

After a long heated discussion, and a threat from the branch manager that the police would be summoned, they finally agreed to refund their insufficient funds charges, but not the fees I racked up from the people I wrote bad checks to. Bastards.

Posted by: Steve | November 9, 2006 10:50 AM

This is a blog for posters to commiserate over consumer problems. Why must smug know-it-alls with "helpful" advice such as "make your own sandwich" always infest the conversation?

I'm fairly certain that Kate knows how to make a sandwich. The POINT is that Safeway doesn't know how to treat a customer.

Posted by: Lily | November 9, 2006 10:51 AM

Re: Safeway movie tickets. I was standing in line behind a woman buying what had to be the entire stock of South Beach diet dinners, and she ended up with movie tickets that printed automatically, and she was actually surprised about it. I doubt she really wanted to see "Ice Age 2," but she took the tickets anyway, and seemed pleased with them.

At the risk of making this sound like a Safeway bash, what I hate about them is that they run out of sale items so quickly. Last week it was cat food. There has got to be another vegetarian on the block, because I have to catch the sales early to beat the other person who buys up all the Morningstar Farms when it goes on sale. It's pretty common that anything on sale will be gone within a few days, and not restocked until the sale is over. Sure, I could a raincheck, but I'd really just prefer to pay the extra thirty cents than waste thirty minutes getting a raincheck.

Posted by: Mona | November 9, 2006 10:56 AM

A good word for Harris Teeter's sandwich program:
Harris Teeter had a system where you bought 10 half-subs (the daily special was $2.49, other choices slightly higher) and when you bought 10 you got a full sub free, you choice (not limited to the daily special). Your purchases were recorded on your receipt.
Several howevers, all to the benefit of the customer:
If you bought a full sub (after you had 10 half subs recorded), when you went through the register, it was automatically free. And, you got credit for a half sub purchase (meaning you would only need to actually purchase nine more half subs to qualify for the next full sub).
Not enough value for the customer?
Harris Teeter let you pick whatever full sub you wanted as your free sub. I asked for something that wasn't one of the daily specials (they have a different special each day of the week), was told that I had to choose one of the daily subs. For the heck of it I queried Harris Teeter corporation and ask essentially, "Your sign says 'any sub' of my choice; am I limited to one of the daily special choices?" Their answer: No, you're not; we limit you to basic brand of meat (not premium), but you pick." Next time I went to Harris Teeter for a full sub I asked for a non-daily special choice (corned beef), was told I had to pick from the daily specials, and I responded I received an e-mail from the company saying I could choose whatever I wanted. The response from the clerk: Certainly.
The clerk made a decision on the spot to do what she thought was right, serve the customer. I passed my appreciation to the floor manager and ever since I've not only gotten the sandwich of my choice, I've never been questioned about it.

Harris Teeter earned my business the easy way. They're customer conscious.

Addendum to the story: Harris Teeter has since changed the number of sandwiches you need to buy to 15 because the bottom line was affected by offering so many full subs (essentional a half sub free for each five half subs purchased) and the cost of salary (I assume) and material. I can live with that. They still have my business.

Posted by: Jeff | November 9, 2006 10:58 AM

AMPG- I got my movie tickets without any problem. I would have gone to see Ice Age, but the voucher was actually for any movie, so I saw The Devil Wears Prada instead.

I love the Safeway in Darnestown, MD. They have the nicest customer service people. Once, when they were out of a particular ice cream that I wanted, the customer service person went to the back and met the truck to get it for me. The one in Germantown, however, is not so nice. They never have enough cashiers so the lines are very long.

Posted by: Sherry | November 9, 2006 10:59 AM

Safeway customer service is the worst! Their Service Counter is often closed during times when the most customers are in the store and when they are open the employees are poorly trained. They close registers to send emploees on break when the lines are long. Then you have to deal with surly cashiers (usually the Union employees).

Posted by: Mike Hunt | November 9, 2006 11:03 AM

I've got another one. The local Wal-Mart megastore has what looks like a mile of checkout registers, as well as those
oh-so-helpful "check yourself out" counters. You should be able to get in and out of that place really quickly, especially on a Saturday morning, right?

Wrong.

My wife and I went in the store one Sat. morning to pick up two inexpensive items we needed for the day. The parking lot was fairly full and so was the store. However, there were only four checkout lanes in operation, with at least 10 customers in each one!

So, we headed over to the self-checkout lanes, figuring we'd just scan the items, pay for it with a plastic card, and get out of there. No sir; the self-checkout lanes were all turned off, because they needed someone to monitor them and there was no one there!

We left the two items we had in the store and walked out emptyhanded, went to another store and purchased the same ones in a fraction of the time we would have spent in Wal-Mart in those lengthy checkout lines.

Posted by: John | November 9, 2006 11:13 AM

Well, while we're on the gorcery kick... When I was in High School I bagged for Publix. We actually had to take a short class on how to bag, and on providing customer service. IE- don't put eggs under canned food, don't mix chemicals with food, etc. Duh stuff really, right? Well, sure enough I was at Giant yesterday and it wouldn't have been a big deal had I only had one bag, but I had 2. Rather than put the oxyclean and windex together, each got one food item with it. Why not put the food items together? It's simple customer service. No matter what level of business you're at, as someone stated, you're affecting the bottom line when you mess with customer service. Well, that used to be the idea, but now it's more about getting absolute control, not leaving the customer any choice, and abusing them in every possible way, then thumbing your nose at them because they don't have any better options!

Posted by: Chris | November 9, 2006 11:35 AM

My biggest gripe is with appliance repair services. I have a Kenmore fridge, bought in 1998. A fridge does nothing but stand there and keep things cold. Back in 2003, the freezer compartment was leaking into the bottom part, so I called 1-800-4MYHOME and got two repairmen to come de=ice the freezer and unclog a plug they said was causing the problem. They charged $150 for the 20-minute visit. In January 2006, the same problem occurred. Again, I called 1-800-4MYHOME and one repairman came out, de-iced the freezer and unclogged a drain. I don't know why this drain is clogging, there is absolutely nothing there to clog it up. He charged $173 for a 20-minute visit. Again, in May, 2006, the same thing happened. Again, the same repairman who was there in January showed up. I griped about a faulty appliance, he said it was 'a faulty repair job' not the appliance, and I don't think he recalled he did the January 2006 repair. While he was there, he said my fridge was not level so he moved it and charged $173 for a 20 minute visit. Now my refrigerator door keeps coming open by itself. I have to tie it closed. I don't have another $173 for a 20-minute visit. I firmly believe these repairmen make deliberate errors or knock something out of whack so they'll be called time and time again to fix appliances. My fridge never had a problem with the door swinging open until he 'fixed' it by moving it.

Posted by: Southern Maryland | November 9, 2006 11:45 AM

Southern Maryland- I too learned that lesson the hard way. They build fridges with these little problems on purpose- like leveling. WTF? My Microwave doesn't need leveling! I wondered why the fridge door kept opening- they told me that wasn't covered under warranty. Well, the guy actually repaired it and charged me too. The secret??? get a wrench and adjust the leg on the fridge. Yes, it has an adjustable leg up front whose sole purpose is to generate an income for repair folks. By lowering the leg just a few turns it props the front of the fridge up enough to allow the door to close on its own momentum. My fee for this advice is $172, so you saved a buck. ;)

Posted by: Chris | November 9, 2006 11:59 AM

Chris -- A thousand thanks and a big hug. I'll do that tonight when I get home.

Posted by: Southern Maryland | November 9, 2006 12:02 PM

Whoever redesigned the "social" Safeway above Georgetown in DC is insane. There main aisles are broken north-south by an aisle that runs east-west, and this aisle is simply too narrow. Only one cart can pass through easily, so it causes traffic jams at the ends of the short aisles, plus you get to end of an aisle and you're likely to run smack into someone going through the east-west aisle. It simply makes no sense and makes shopping there a huge annoyance. Add to that the number of displays that stick out into the aisles and the amount of "sale" items that are out of stock. They lost my business due to this stupidity.

Posted by: Anywhere but Safeway | November 9, 2006 12:19 PM

Posted by: Lester Burnham | November 9, 2006 12:21 PM

Wow. I feel lucky now that to have earned two free sandwiches at Safeway.

I'd have to agree with another commment here that the worst service I have ever experienced was with Verizon and it was not an isolated incident. There is a headache everytime I need to deal with them.

Posted by: Danielle | November 9, 2006 12:22 PM

You all are spending way too much time and effort trying to get a free sandwich. in fact, I can't believe I wasted so much time and effort reading this thread and then complaining about you complaining about getting a free sandwich.

Remember - there aint no such thing as free lunch.

Posted by: Jason | November 9, 2006 12:26 PM

So glad I could help! I'll probably be getting flamed by out of work dishonest repair folks and get a cease-and-decist letter from appliance lawyers, but my good deed for the day is done and I hopefully have thwarted their evil machinations once and for all! :)

Posted by: Chris | November 9, 2006 12:34 PM

I canceled cable TV and have no problems with Comcast any longer. There is nothing worth watching anyway!

Posted by: Alfred J Bildungsroman | November 9, 2006 12:39 PM

To the Publix guy, do they really teach you guys to put only one item per bag? I used to go to Publix when I lived in Florida and it was like plastic bags were going out of style. This is what I bought...A king sized Snickers. Bag of Tostito's. Can of salsa. 12-pack of soda. Somehow, I came home with 5 bags (the soda was not double-bagged, but the Snickers was!) for four items.

My biggest gripe, and I will never forget this one. Best Buy in Springfield, the day after Christmas, 6:30 a.m. I waited in line outside the store with roughly 400 people because one of the game consoles was on sale (I was going for a TV). When I get in the store, I get my TV, picked out a couple of CD's, then stopped dead in my tracks as there were only 2 (yes TWO) registers open. I asked the store manager why none of the 14 people in blue shirts that were standing in the aisle behind the registers could help and he told me they were not properly trained. To which, I asked how difficult it was to SCAN? So I left the items in the middle of the floor at the front of the store and made him clear the stuff to the back.

At the same time I'm in Springfield, my dad is over at Fair Lakes. Things must've been a little busier there because when he walked in at 7 a.m., there were three lines open!

Did I mention that the lines literally extended to the back wall of the store in Springfield and had formed a loop coming back forward? Fair Lakes was the same way, I wish I could find the picture of that one.

So we both wound up going to Circuit City, buying what we wanted and were in-and-out in 20 minutes tops. Though the same Circuit City in Springfield did once attempt to sell me a lap top (they had me sold, had the item IN MY HANDS!), then didn't bother to ring me up for 10 minutes. At which time, I walked up to a guy with a Circuit City shirt on and proclaimed loudly, "While this store is losing my business, this guy is over here watching TV", placed the computer in this guys hands and walked out. A store manager followed me out and wanted to know why I did what I did. I told him, and got...(drumroll please)...a weak appology and 10% off any item in the store under $10. I said "I'm going to CompUSA".

Posted by: Jarrod | November 9, 2006 12:55 PM

"Now I read something they call a book. They are really interesting, and you don't need to call customer service when you use them."
That is, unless you borrow them from the library. Can anyone explain to me why I can't check out certain books from the library because they only have one left on the shelf or is this just a Fairfax County thing?

Posted by: DJ | November 9, 2006 12:56 PM

I've had similar problems with different regions when it comes to Bank of America. Because my accounts are based in Seattle, I can't always make ATM deposits on the east coast - I have to go to a teller and then the tellers can't always find my savings account. So then, I deposit at a teller to my checking account and have to go outside to transfer the money to my savings account at the ATM.

Posted by: Seattle | November 9, 2006 1:16 PM

Given $100 travel voucher by Delta due to overbooking nightmare over the summer. Sadly, Delta's technology does not allow it be redeemed online, so I can't buy a "web special" ticket price and have to pay full price ticket to use the voucher. Essentially amounts to $100 service fee to use a $100 voucher.

Posted by: Frustrated | November 9, 2006 1:18 PM

Posted by: Steve Gaioni | November 9, 2006 1:25 PM

I bought a Panasonic digital camera that did not charge with the AC adapter. After literally hours on hold with Panasonic customer service, they told me to send he camera to their contracted repair facility in Bozeman, Montana. After several months of "we'll get right to it", the contractor told me they had a dispute with Panasonic, could not repair the camera, and had sent it back to Panasonic in New Jersey or wherever. After literally more hours dealing with Panasonic's miserable customer service call center (including refusing a simple requrest to replace the camera with a new one), Panasonic finally sent me back my same camera 6 months later- still unrepaired!

Posted by: Roy | November 9, 2006 1:27 PM

LOL! No, sadly, among the intelligent High School students scrambling to make a buck or two, there are some idiots as well. Unfortunately these idiots wind up in customer service jobs where they can make life miserable for everyone else. I'm not saying everyone in customer service is an idiot. There are some well meaning intelligent people who like to actually help solve others' problems. If you are one such person who is reading this, you are to be praised. You are the true minority of humanity. For the most part, customer service sucks. Everywhere.
As evidenced by the many postings here, if you go to a competing business, you get the same results. It may not have been intentional, but it is as if there is a consortium of people who agreed to offer the same lousy service- much as gas stations stick with price matching treaties. You don't want to drive out competition. Well, if everyone sucks, there's no more choice for the consumer.

Posted by: Chris | November 9, 2006 1:33 PM

re: Frustrated, that is worse than AA, which forces you to pay $15 per ticket to redeem a voucher, or say $30 if you want to book a ticket for your wife on the same itinerary, so that you get seats together. But at least AA you can get a webfare hold it, and then call the 800 number and pay your fee to get it.

Posted by: Arlington, VA | November 9, 2006 1:33 PM

Be careful what you ask for. Safeway could just limit the buy 7- get 8th free promotions to same-store only and not have to connect their computers at all.

Posted by: oh, please | November 9, 2006 2:00 PM

Back when I was a college student a couple years ago, I went to Circuit City in Wheaton to buy a computer. I was ready to shell out $1700. I went to the computer section, and I tried to flag down an associate to help me. They were all like "we'll be with you in a minute." Well after 10-15 minutes of this nonsense, I got fed up. No one bothered to help me, and it wasn't like the computer area was brimming with customers. So, I left, and I got a local computer store to custom build me a great computer. If someone in Circuit City would have bothered to acknowledge the poor looking college student, then he/she would have walked off with a nice commission. Idiots!

Posted by: No fan of Circuit City | November 9, 2006 2:17 PM

God, how I miss Harris Teeter. Going there was always a shopping pleasure. I especially loved their peanut butter pie that they used to make. Do they still make it? Now I'm stuck with crappy grocery stores like Jewel and Dominicks, which is owned by Safeway. There are no bargains at these stores. There used to be discount Cub stores around, but those are all closing up since the same company that owns Shoppers also owns most of the Cub and Jewel stores. I wish they'd implement the low prices that they have at Shoppers at their rip-off Jewel stores.

Posted by: d.c. transplant in the midwest | November 9, 2006 2:25 PM

The social Safeway in Georgetown sounds like Wegman's layout in Fairfax County. That is a very dangerous store. People fly in and out of aisles, not even bothering to PAUSE at the end to make sure no one else is trying to occupy the same space as they are. Many close calls there such that I've stopped shopping there unless I am planning a fancy dinner. People, slow down! The supermarket aisles are NOT streets, and the carts are not your car. So chill with the smash-em bang-em up, ME FIRST mentality!

Posted by: CyanSquirrel | November 9, 2006 2:28 PM

What about the things we have no choice over, such as the DMV and the Post Office? This week alone....

1. Lost mailbox key, went to post office after work to fill out work order and put mail on hold for a couple days. Cost $30 for the lock change (they give you new keys then a couple days later someone comes out to change the lock). Filled out the form for holding mail, starting the next day (yesterday). Boyfriend went to the PO yesterday- mail hadn't been held, and they couldn't find the form. We are waiting for some money that we really need, which is why we tried to hold it. I know- my fault for losing the key but still such a hassle.

2. DMV- moved a couple months ago, changed my address with someone on the phone. Recieved copy of Registration at new address, no problem. Got my emmissions done, went online last week to pay and order the little stickers. Haven't gotten them so I called today. Had to redial 3 times because I'd sit on hold for a while after being looped around and around the "dial 1 for..., dial 2 for..." system. Finally got a human, and the address they had in the system was my old house number, and new street. Wonderful, and they'd already taken the $63 out of my credit card.

We can say, DirectTV sucks, I'm switching to Dish, but what do we do about the DMV and Post Office?
Just my vent

Posted by: karen | November 9, 2006 2:43 PM

this reminds me of green stamps, anyone remember those? What value does green stamps add to your life? This kind of stuff is a waste of time, just buy your best deal, and don't waste your time on coupons and the like. Use your time for more productive pursuits. If consumers don't avail themselves of this kind of nonsense, businesses will quit offering it, and instead give everyone a better price, rather than discounting some particular item for those who will jump hoops to save a buck.

Posted by: mark fishel | November 9, 2006 2:44 PM

This woman has way too much time on her hands.

Posted by: Caroll T | November 9, 2006 2:44 PM

Waiting for a reply from Safeway for two days? Not surprising. It takes longer than that to check-out at their Northern VA stores.

Posted by: NoWay | November 9, 2006 2:54 PM

Try getting Mileage Plus (United Airlines) Dining credited to your Mileage Plus account. Ditto with getting double Marriott Rewards points for grocery purchases, etc., during a special promotion. The programs are just too big and hairy, and the technology isn't settled yet.

What makes me laugh is when you use your Giant or Safeway card at the store and you get these strange coupons at the checkout, supposedly designed with you in mind, and they're such nonsequiters!

Posted by: Gene | November 9, 2006 3:02 PM

The easiest thing for everyone is just to have one of those little cards they stamp every time you buy something. You don't have to use complicated computer systems for everything.

Posted by: bkp | November 9, 2006 3:12 PM

Must...not...rant..about...Post Office...

Posted by: CyanSquirrel | November 9, 2006 3:22 PM

With the dominance of Giant and Safeway, we have some of the worst quality grocery stores in the country, especially with respect to customer service and pricing.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2006 3:25 PM

Posted by: washdc | November 9, 2006 3:32 PM

To the Delta client, I too received a voucher from Delta and I put off going to the airport to make the reservation, but when I got there it couldn't have been any easier, and they gave me another voucher for the money remaining and with an additional year to use it! There was no service fee and they gave the a cheaper fare than I expected.

Posted by: washdc | November 9, 2006 3:34 PM

Can't speak to the sandwhich scenario, but I'm not surprised to hear about the geographical separation among divisions. Upon moving from Alexandria to Phoenix a year ago, I had to come to terms with the concept of cheerful, friendly and helpful Safeway employees.

Back in the DC area, all it took was a trip to the "Surly Safeway" on Van Dorn for me to become a dedicated Giant customer.

Posted by: robist | November 9, 2006 3:46 PM

Always do business in writing.

Posted by: jakemd | November 9, 2006 3:47 PM

By the way, what region are all the Safeways in Northern California in? That is the home of Safeway, after all, and it's not listed in the silly list.

Posted by: jakemd | November 9, 2006 3:48 PM

My problem with Safeway and their counting is at the in-store Starbucks -- purchase 7 coffee drinks and get 1 free. My count has been continually 3 for over a month. And I always buy my Starbucks at the same local location -- no geographical division. The system just stopped adding my coffee purchases. I must be owed many freebies by now, but getting it corrected is such an exercise in frustration that it is no longer worth it. Much like trying to find food on their shelves that isn't outdated.

Posted by: LindaB | November 9, 2006 3:58 PM

Complaining about the safeway stores is one thing- at least they accept your card. When we moved from PA 2 hours South to MD we had to create an entirely new Giant account, lose all the old rewards etc, because the Giants in PA and the Giants in MD are different companies!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2006 4:06 PM

Seriuosly Kate, wouldn't you have saved the equivalent of 10 sandwiches if you didn't persue this, and spent all that time and energy somewhere else?

Where do people find the time to care about this sort of thing? A free sandwich? I could understand the effort if it was for a free car.. but a freakin' sandwich? One sandwich? All those 'by x get y free' things are just gimmicks to get you to frequent the same establishments.

Stop wasting my time and get a grip.

Posted by: No Time for Trivial Stuff | November 9, 2006 4:09 PM

It's too bad there couldn't be a "national" blog for people to relate their good and bad experiences with customer service...would be a good source of information for new people moving into a particular area to find the best and avoid the worst organizations/outlets.

Posted by: David M | November 9, 2006 4:12 PM

Jewel has yummy oatmeal raisin cookies and whole wheat dinner rolls in the bakery, though :) Of course, this was five years ago, roughly, so the cookies may no longer be so yummy. But they were back in 2001, when I bought some and sent them to a friend rather than bake homemade ones because they were just that good.

(grew up in the Midwest. Only things we ever bought from Jewel were in the bakery. Oh, and occasionally cookies because for a long time, they were the only place one could get LU, and when a girl needs a Petit Ecolier fix, sometimes she has to pay the devil. Everything else terribly overpriced, yes - did most grocery shopping at CUB, back in the day.)

Posted by: MB | November 9, 2006 4:42 PM

This isn't worthy of the Washington Post. Shut up. Eat the sandwich.

Posted by: Gimme a break. | November 9, 2006 5:07 PM

I was once told I couldn't cash a check at the Riggs Bank on 15th Street because it was written on a check from the Georgetown branch.

I have never been so happy to see a bank go out of business.

Posted by: TBG | November 9, 2006 5:24 PM

Ok, we all agree these is a bunch of fools, but what kind of fools are they?

Posted by: Whatakind | November 9, 2006 5:32 PM

Is this the place for gathering of all the people that have nothing to do in life???

Posted by: NothingToDo | November 9, 2006 5:37 PM

I'm pretty sure the "stop complaining" posts are all coming from one troll. If you have such better things to do, stop coming here and wasting your time!

"I can't beleive all the whining and crying about free sandwiches. PLEASE! Find something constructive to do with your time and energy. Don't waste electrons with this tripe."

Customer complaints are a way of holding companies accountable. Companies really do believe in the "if a customer thinks it's good they'll tell one person; if they think it's bad they'll tell ten." If people stop complaining, the stores will think customers don't care about the service they're getting. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and while we all hate getting stuck behind the soccer mom complaining about how they incorrectly added five cents to her Diet Cokes, it is her right to do so.

And it wasn't until someone brought up the Post Office that I remembered my own problem with them this past summer. My boyfriend was visiting me and I wanted to surprise him, so I ordered a poster of his favorite painting and asked that it be delivered before he got there. It never came, and when I called them, they said it had been delivered on a Saturday when he was in town. My roommate was home that whole day and never did the carrier knock on the door to give it to him (it is this carrier's custom to simply toss packages on the landing instead of leaving them with the leasing office). Every time I called the P.O. it was always "here's your carrier's number" which didn't help because he was on vacation that day and a sub filled in. They did not know who the sub was so I was screwed. They said they'd scanned the package as having been received, so it must have been stolen from my doorstep. Considering the safe neighborhood I live in and the fact that none of the other many packages I've had delivered (nor the flowers that he left on my doorstep instead of knocking on it in the dead of winter) had been stolen, I am going on the assumption that it was just a big fat mistake that they didn't feel like owning up to. Luckily the poster was only twenty bucks, but I'm having stuff Fedexed to me in the future.

Posted by: Mona | November 9, 2006 6:18 PM

Safeway does a very similar thing with their promotions regarding earning airline miles. For example, I live in the DC metro area and work in Texas. Even though the receipts I obtain for purchases made in their Texas stores (called Tom Thumb not Safeway) say I'm earning credit toward airline miles such miles never post to my airline frequent flier account. They say I am not entitled to the miles since I don't live in Texas (sounds a bit discriminatory to me - after all I made the purchases -- have the receipts -- and nothing is published anywhere stipulating any of this). Furthermore, I've supposedly been earning airline miles related to my purchases in the DC metro area for about ten (10) years now and NOT A SINGLE MILE WAS POSTED BY SAFEWAY TO MY FREQUENT FLIER ACCOUNT. Sounds like Safeway is good for scamming their customers every way imaginable.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 9, 2006 6:33 PM

I empathize with the op's story about the sandwiches. That could have been me a few years ago. Now, however, I am so busy, I would simply not waste my time on it. I would ask the original op, how many hours have you spent on this? How many more free sandwiches do you think you would have gotten if Safeway's program worked the way it should? Maybe 3 or 4? That's worth maybe $25 at most? Aren't all the hours you've spent worth more than $25? Yes, I agree, customer complaints are important. I just don't want to be the one wasting my time to do it. If you think about it, you're working for Safeway ... for free. So not only are they stealing your free sandwiches, but also your time and effort.

My advice would be to let it go gently into that good night ... learn to let go of small annoyances and focus your time on things that will improve your life and the lives of others. I also agree with the person who said to go to a local deli. Supporting small businesses is a great idea.

Posted by: no longer have time to waste | November 9, 2006 8:31 PM

The car rental story? HILARIOUS. It made my head hurt too. I am glad that they gave you a free upgrade.

My own personal hate story is with the VA DMV. I moved here about 2 years ago and had to transfer my PA license. It was super busy and I knew I had to wait 1-2 hrs. No problem. I got my ticket, handed my information after about 30 min. wait. The teller said that he/she would have to check my PA history. No problem. I wait for an hour. Several people after me have already been served.

I finally go to the teller and ask what's going on. It turns out that NO ONE had even looked at my application. It takes them 5 MINUTES to check my PA history. I was spitting mad, and my VA license picture shows my anger.

Posted by: Recent VAer | November 10, 2006 11:19 AM

Blue Cross/Blue Shield Illinois: Website assured me that my specific group plan would cover a particular doctor. I called to confirm, and was assured my group covered that doctor and all her services. After three months of twice weekly visits to this doctor, BC/BS-IL denied all my claims, writing that the doctor is *not* in that group plan.

I started calling the customer service reps every day, unfailingly polite and courteous, to rectify the situation. Every time I called, I was assured that that doctor *was* in my plan. Some representatives even said they would mail me a written confirmation. After not receiving this written confirmation, I called again and asked to speak to a supervisor. One was not available, and I was told she would call me back.

After a week of no calls, I called every day to speak to a supervisor. After a week of this, one representative told me I should have made my doctor write a pre-determination letter to BC/BS-IL. I asked the rep what that was. She very rudely said, "That's just common sense." No doctor I've spoken to since has ever heard of such a letter.

The next person I called, despite my excessive politeness, kept answering my questions with, "I don't know" or "I can't help you with that." I called another person after her, and on that second call, I heard the first person tell the second not talk to me because I was a trouble-maker. And I had been exceptionally pleasant to everyone I spoke to there!

I tried to get my HR department to help me, but they said there was nothing they could do.

Finally, I found some VP's number and called her up, and this woman said I was just "playing a game." That shocked me so badly, I started crying and never called any of them again. I ended up charging almost $6,000 to my credit card, which, after three years, I still have not paid off.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 10, 2006 11:25 AM

11:25 pm, your post shocked the hell out of me! After all you went through, your patience, and you still had to eat their mistake. That's so terrible. I'm shocked also because BCBS has always been exceptional to me. I have a wealth of doctors to choose from, a low copay, and it even covers procedures like acupuncture, mental health, and adoption fees. I have never had an experience like yours, and I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I hope it's an isolated incident. I wish you all the best.

Posted by: Mona | November 10, 2006 11:39 AM

I had BC/BS, even said on my statement each month that if I needed to go to the ER, to go to the one in my town. So, I fall, need to go to the ER in my town. As I'm walking in, there is a HUGE sticker on the door, "BC/BS Preferred Hospital" or something of that nature. I asked at the front desk and the woman said they'd been with them for about 10 years and never had a problem.

Unfortunately, the person filing the claim at BC/BS felt that there was only one Auburn in the US and that was in the south. Since there wasn't a recognizable hospital name in the other Auburn, BC/BS turned down my claim and threatened me with legal action for filing a false claim.

Thanks to the lawyers at the hospital, I didn't have to pay a dime and the little snot got fired. It's amazing what a small-town lawyer will tell you.

My girlfriend works customer service and has to call other customer service people. It's amazing the stories she has. One company asked her to fax something to them. When she called to confirm it got there, apparently she wasn't authorized to get that information, but was able to get other personal information. So much for MBNA in my book.

"Uh, I can't tell you if we got the fax on John Smith's account number 4828 0000 0000 0000, who lives at 123 That House, whose social security number is 555-55-5555 and whose credit score is 387." Something to that effect is what she got from them!

Posted by: Doc's Good, BC/BS, well it's BS | November 10, 2006 3:48 PM

Mona and a few others here get it; others focus on the insignificance of sandwiches in the larger scheme of things, or judge how I choose to spend my time. To those whose narrow perspective results in mocking me or anyone else who identifies and attempts to improve broken business processes, remember that your compliance with poor service enables more customer dissatisfaction. You are part of the problem, not the solution. As Dr. Phil would say, you can't fix what you don't acknowledge. When you allow companies to not deliver their promotions' rewards, you are enabling them to shirk on their promises and to get away with being irresponsible and untrustworthy. This promise-breaking behavior is unacceptable in any relationship, be it consumer to business, B-to-B or something more personal. Not delivering on a promise, or, in this case, an established and highly visible promotion, is grand-scale lying, stealing and cheating to the masses and it is harmful to customer satisfaction. If you don't have time to pursue these matters or if they are simply unimportant to you, so be it. Just remember that there are some of us who will take the time to collaborate with small and large business to correct these errors so that all customers will benefit. For the record, I am a full time working person who also works in 5 different volunteer roles and travels extensively for a company that has retained over 95% of its customer base for 30 years with 5% employee attrition and market dominance in its niche (a niche that is riddled with failures, mergers & acquisitions, and few companies with triple decade staying power). Since my professional life requires actively providing a stellar customer experience with every interaction, my intent is to help other companies adopt & exercise a similar model so we can all enjoy better customer experiences. I have also uncovered over a million dollars in sales leads for my employer by detecting and investigating business to consumer customer satisfaction issues. Hopefully, this posting will allow its readers to see that there is something much larger at stake than sandwiches here. I am engaged in an active dialog with high-ranking Safeway officials this month and they are working towards removing the geographic constraints on the signature sandwich program. You too can make a difference by directing your dissatisfaction to the proper channels in a constructive manner. Please pitch in to raise and help resolve your own service disappointments and abuses since there is strong evidence that too many companies are reckless with their customers.

Posted by: Kate, sandwich unsnarler and constructive complainer | November 10, 2006 4:47 PM

My biggest gripe is with the state of customer service in flying. From the TSA people to airline counter clerks, most of them seem to be on a power trip. They treat us all like criminals and expect us to be grateful when they let us on a flight. I know terrorists are out there, but I am not one of them and I resent being teated like a criminal. God forbid I should complain, it would be an invitation to throw me in jail.

Posted by: Jules | November 12, 2006 11:20 AM

Me again, I went to Safeway and uncovered more nonsense- but can I afford the time away from work and family to try to return things? I bought bagels and noticed that the package had been opened and the plastic date tag was broken and put inside the package, and the package was sealed with a generic fastener. I have no knowledge of where this took place, but it was probably at the store, and thus not sanitary. I only noticed this when I put a bagel in the toaster. I bought some egg nog- I know it's early, but it sounded good. Well, it was rancid. Unfortunately, it's not worth my time to wait to get people to refund a couple dollars, or swap out bagels... but the companies know this, they know they can't possibly be held accountable by everyone they're screwing over- so there's nothing to stop them. Nothing to protect the customers. Sure, we complain on here- or heaven forbid someone spends weeks of their life trying to fight for justice. It's empty in the end because ultimately some corporate person can laugh in your face and make you cry- in reference to BC/BS BS. They know they are crooked companies and they are ok with that. Would they ever publicly say so? Of course not. They'll tell you they're working on fixing any problems, and give you an apology to shut you up. In reality, nothing will be done, because their way of hurting you penny by penny, when done to people across the nation, is millions of dollars in savings to them they get in their pocket. Rude customer service, when there is no real alternative, is what keeps them rich. If they took care of the customer, they wouldn't make as much money because they'd have to spend money on keeping people happy. They don't want you happy- they just want you to keep buying their product because that's all that matters to them. Point in case- the pain killer recall article. There are no choices left, and a million dollar fine is nothing to these people. Why should they care about your package, your sandwich, your cable, your health?

Posted by: Chris | November 13, 2006 11:48 AM

About once every six months I relent and go back to the Safeway store in the City of Fairfax as the location is convenient. On the last trip I was purchasing items for an event after a funeral service. On the list were Coke products, none of which were on the shelf. Two "helpful" employees offered to find them for me. Both went to the Pepsi display and said they weren't there. Then they each went to the back and returned with items that were already on the shelves and were not what I asked for. At that point I went to the manager and told him he could return the items in my cart to the shelves and that I would not be back. I'm sure that at some point I'll relent and receive the same disappointing customer service.

Posted by: Patsy | November 13, 2006 1:57 PM

For those who don't know, California is actually divided into North and South California. I've moved from North to South and back again. During that time, I've had to re-register with AAA and at the time Kaiser North didn't talk with Kaiser South, so expenses had to be reimbursed. AAA was the worst since I lost the loyal member discount for the years I've been a member. BofA wasn't an issue since I never closed the account, but I'm sure they would have messed it up somehow.

Posted by: yyz | November 13, 2006 3:58 PM

You have two problems. The first is you are buying lousy sandwiches. The second is you have waaaaaay too much time on your hands to spend hours and hours to obtain a sub-par sandwich for free.

Posted by: DC | November 14, 2006 2:05 PM

Verizon won't let one member of the family change their area code because all phones in a family share account must be in the same Verizon region. I don't know how many regions Verizon has, but it shouldn't be more than 1. Or else, they should be forced to operate as separate entities--they would figure out a way to consolidate them if that were the case.

As an aside, my hope is that the public lets our politicians have an earful about the need for more oversight to protect consumer rights.

I know that might make this column irrelevent...

Posted by: Verizon isn't a single entity | November 14, 2006 3:23 PM

I'm a Safeway worker and have to admit, customer service sucks in all the stores I've been to. As far as the sandwiches you buy or any food for that matter, before you buy take a minute or so and observe the employee's, i.e cleanliness, nasty habits. If it doesn't come in a can or box and I can't kill the bacteria by cooking it I don't buy it. LOL to all, by the way this is pretty funny.

Posted by: Jose | November 14, 2006 4:09 PM

lester:

I believe I was advocating visiting a different purveyor of sandwiches, and not making them as you claim.

"T...if I had a sandwich press and the time to cut up some onions and grill them with the prime rib I just sliced when I was looking for a quick lunch then I would not be purchasing sandwiches from Safeway. Do you ever stop at McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell or KFC? Why not make your own burgers, tacos and chicken?

Posted by: Lester Burnham"

to wit:

"how about just buying sandwiches somewhere else? There's got to be a local deli who could use your business more.

Posted by: T | November 9, 2006 09:57 AM"

Thanks for reading though. And I do make my own tacos, burgers and chicken, jerk.

Posted by: T | November 14, 2006 4:58 PM

I could really use a Subway sandwich or two. I hear they help fat people lose weight. Anyhow, I must return to sexually harassing the women that work in my office.

Posted by: Steve Gaioni | December 7, 2006 1:49 PM