The Checkout

InPhonic Settlement

Ever since the D.C. Attorney General's office filed a lawsuit against District-based wireless phone and service retailer InPhonic Inc. last June, I have received a steady stream of e-mails from unhappy InPhonic customers. Well, looks like the company, while not admitting to wrongdoing, has settled with the city. It has agreed to pay D.C. $100,000 and make restitution to some 9,000 customers nationwide.

Just to recap the case against InPhonic: The DC AG alleged the company failed to deliver on its rebates.

To plagiarize my own June 2006 Post story for a second here:

For example, the suit alleges that for customers to qualify for some rebates, InPhonic in 2004 required them to submit a cellphone bill that was at least 120 days old -- to prove that they had stayed with their plan and made their payments. But the document had to be postmarked within 120 days of when the service was activated.

Consumers who contacted the company for help found themselves in phone tree hell or talking to people who were not helpful, the AG's lawsuit said.

The upshot was that most of the consumers who purchased wireless phones and plans through InPhonic either never received them or only after jumping through an onerous set of hoops.

The company managed to pile up more than 3,400 complaints between the D.C. AG's office and the local Better Business Bureau.

InPhonic has always denied doing anything wrong and has been eager to put the lawsuit behind it. In fact, the company jumped the gun a bit in November, announcing that it had reached an agreement in principle with the city. But negotiations were still ongoing at the time and I guess it took a couple more months to iron out the details.

What are the details? Well, for starters, two types of consumers are eligible for restitution:
1. Anyone who complained to a government agency or BBB anywhere in the U.S. by Feb. 15, 2007.
2. Anyone whose rebates were denied by InPhonic for any of the following four reasons:
a. The consumer failed to provide the "Guide for Wireless Service."
b. The consumer failed to provide a carrier invoice with a bill date.
c. The consumer failed to provide an order number on their rebate submission.
d. The consumer's rebate submission was missing customer information.

Consumers who are eligible should be receiving a claim form within the next five months. More info about the restitution effort will be available soon from the claims administrator at www.inphonicrestitutionprogram.com. (This link doesn't work yet.)

Consumers with questions should call the AG's Consumer Protection Hotline at (202) 442-9828.

InPhonic customers, please let us know what the restitution entails. (Cash, free ear buds, InPhonic swag, etc.)

By Annys Shin |  February 16, 2007; 6:45 AM ET Legal Battles/Settlements
Previous: A Wii Sad Story | Next: Of Peanut Butter and Paranoia

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

The link doesn't seem to work?

Posted by: Steve | February 16, 2007 9:17 AM

The link doesn't work yet, Steve. Do you read?

Posted by: Harry B. Alls | February 16, 2007 9:32 AM

The Link doesn't work yet, Steve. Do you read?

Posted by: Harry B. Alls | February 16, 2007 9:35 AM

The link doesn't work, Steve. Do you read?

Posted by: Harry B. Alls | February 16, 2007 9:39 AM

The link doesn't work, Steve. Do you read?

Posted by: Harry B. Alls | February 16, 2007 9:41 AM

The link doesn't work, Steve. Do you read?

Posted by: Harry B. Alls | February 16, 2007 9:42 AM

The link doesn't work yet, Steve. Do you read?

Posted by: Harry B. Alls | February 16, 2007 9:47 AM

The link doesn't work yet, Steve. Do you read?

Posted by: Harry B. Alls | February 16, 2007 9:50 AM

The link doesn't work yet, Steve. Do you read?

Posted by: Harry B. Alls | February 16, 2007 9:53 AM

I suddenly feel the need to post here though I am not a customer, just to break the monotony of Mr. Alls.

Posted by: Chris | February 16, 2007 10:34 AM

Interesting. I used InPhonic/Wirefly to get my phone and service (Verizon), and had about a month's window between how long I had to wait to submit my rebates and the cutoff for rebate submissions. I got everything in order and sent off right in the middle of that time window, and then didn't see the rebates for several more months, but at least I did get them. Didn't know there was a suit out, but I guess that I don't qualify anyway.

Posted by: 23112 | February 16, 2007 11:43 AM

It's not plagiarizing to quote from somewhere and to give credit. It's only plagiarism if you copy something and then pass it off as your own work.

So, are you quoting yourself from 2006, or did you actually plagiarize it last year, and want to do so again?

Posted by: Rob | February 16, 2007 12:21 PM

I've bought from InPhonic and never had any problems. I didn't even know they were local, but maybe that's why I got my order super fast. And the phone was ready to use out of the box. Ive even recommended the site to my parents. Hopefully they can get this behind them because I think they're a great company.

Posted by: ... | February 16, 2007 12:41 PM

I read some financial site that mentioned InPhonic has cut down, by a huge margin, the number of deals that now involve rebates. Sounds like there shouldn't be many more problems going forward.

Posted by: hoyasaxa | February 16, 2007 12:53 PM

I've bought a phone from them via eBay where they're a power seller. I never heard of any problems with them and they have a really high feedback rating on eBay so I didn't think twice. I got the phone in 2 days as promised and it works great. The price was reasonable and everything was as advertised. I'm surprised about this lawsuit. My purchase didn't have any rebates though... in fact I didn't see anything about rebates on eBay at all. I'm glad that they are working out these kinks because it would be a shame if I couldn't buy from them again once I'm ready to switch plans.

Posted by: :: | February 16, 2007 12:53 PM

The link doesn't work yet, Steve. Do you read?

Posted by: Harry B. Alls | February 16, 2007 12:56 PM

Rob, actually, by academic standards it is considered plagiarism to pass something off as original even if you're the original author.

GTR

Posted by: MIT PhD | February 16, 2007 1:05 PM

My Cingular plan is expiring in a few months, and I've already been researching where to buy my next phone. It looks like there are a lot of "free" phones on Wirefly that don't require rebates... they're all instant discounts. I'm hoping that the good news keeps coming on this company, so I'll have a good place to buy my phone (iPhone??!)

Posted by: nedcolleti | February 16, 2007 1:48 PM

Wow, I hadn't heard about this. It seems like rebates have been a problem for many companies. I have had nightmares trying to get my rebates back from companies in the past. But there have been a couple that I have not had a problem with - one of them being InPhonic. It looks like I might have applied for it after all of the trouble. I even have recommended them to my friends and family. As far as I have heard, they all received their rebates (if they sent one in).

Posted by: JJ | February 16, 2007 2:06 PM

My order experience with InPhonis was great. I did not experience any issues with my rebates either. If you follow all the directions exactly as they are stated you will get your rebate check. I would definitely recommend them to others!

Posted by: Satisfied Customer | February 16, 2007 5:06 PM

For uncensored news please go to:

otherside123.blogspot.com
www.wsws.org
www.onlinejournal.com
www.takingaimradio.net

WSWS : News & Analysis : North America
Join the International Students for Social Equality! Build an ISSE chapter at your college or high school!

19 February 2007

The following is a statement issued by the International Students for Social Equality in the US outlining its political perspective and calling on students to join the ISSE and build clubs at schools throughout the country and internationally. The statement is available in pdf format to download and distribute. An Australian version is also available.

The ISSE calls on students and workers to attend the Emergency Conference Against War called by the ISSE and the Socialist Equality Party, to be held in Ann Arbor, Michigan on March 31 and April 1. Click here to find out more about the conference. Click here to register for the conference.

The International Students for Social Equality calls on student youth around the world to initiate a campaign against militarist violence, social inequality and the growing attack on democratic rights.

The United States' military escalation in Iraq, in the face of overwhelming opposition in the US and internationally, is only the most barbaric expression of the catastrophe created by world capitalism. Hundreds of thousands have been killed in the course of an illegal invasion and occupation, justified on the basis of lies, to advance the geo-strategic aims of the American ruling elite. Now, preparations are being made for an even more deadly war against Iran, which poses the danger of a global conflagration on a scale not seen since the Second World War.

This madness must stop! Great advances in science and technology, accompanied by an unprecedented global integration of economic life, have created the potential for a new era of human prosperity. Yet young people confront a world full of war and want, massive poverty and disease, pending environmental catastrophe, cultural backwardness and superstition, and assaults on the most basic democratic freedoms.

Human progress is being blocked by the social relations of capitalism, which subordinate everything to the drive for corporate profit and the accumulation of personal wealth by a tiny layer of the population. The ISSE is an organization of students around the world dedicated to building a socialist movement that will finally realize the potential of the modern era, put an end to poverty and war, and lay the foundations for genuine freedom and equality.

Join the fight for a renewed international socialist movement! Join the ISSE!

No to war and colonialism!

Colonialism, imperialism, fascism, world war--the barbaric scourges of the 20th century--are being reborn in the 21st in an even more brutal form. The invasions and occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan are the first

For the rest please go to:

Posted by: che | February 19, 2007 12:57 PM

We got two spammers on this blog: che and now Harry Balls. Sighs....

Posted by: cyansquirrel | February 19, 2007 9:54 PM

We got two spammers on this blog: che and now Harry Balls. Sighs....

Posted by: cyansquirrel | February 19, 2007 9:56 PM

For uncensored news please go to:

otherside123.blogspot.com
www.wsws.org
www.onlinejournal.com
www.takingaimradio.net

McCain: Roe v. Wade should be overturned

Republican presidential candidate John McCain, looking to improve his standing with the party's conservative voters, said Sunday the court decision that legalized abortion should be overturned.

"I do not support Roe versus Wade. It should be overturned," the Arizona senator told about 800 people in South Carolina, one of the early voting states.

McCain also vowed that if elected, he would appoint judges who "strictly interpret the Constitution of the United States and do not legislate from the bench."

Posted by: che | February 20, 2007 5:45 AM

I ordered a phone and service through wirefly, and got it right away, no problems, I was raving about inphonic service. And then I submitted all the rebate materials 120-180 days after getting my order, as the rebate specified. Everything looked like it was in order, but it was a 10-12 week wait. Then it became a 10-12 week wait after the paperwork was processed, which took an additional 8 weeks. Then their computer system went down, so I had to wait another 6 weeks while everything was reprocessed. Then I had to wait an additional 6-8 weeks according to their website. Only after calling them on a daily basis and threatening to call the Better Business Bureau did I finally get my rebates, a full 15 months after getting the phone.

Posted by: inphonic hater | February 20, 2007 2:16 PM