The Checkout

Bye-Bye Bisphenol A?

Ylan Mui

The bisphenol-A debate has gained plenty of momentum this week.

I reported this morning that Wal-Mart said yesterday it will sell only BPA-free baby bottles in its U.S. stores by early next year -- one day after its Canadian division halted all sales of baby bottles, pacifiers, sippy cups, food containers an water bottles containing the chemical. That's a major move by the biggest retailer in the world.

It comes at a time when debate over BPA has reached frenetic levels. My colleague Lyndsey Layton reported earlier this week on the National Toxicology Program draft report that found there is "some concern" that the chemical, which is used to make plastic, could cause behavioral changes and early onset of puberty in girls.

Meanwhile, the American Chemistry Council maintains the mass hysteria is currently unwarranted. It has sent a letter to the Food and Drug Administration urging the agency to conduct its own review of the chemical.

Even though BPA bottles may be disappearing from store shelves, the debate over the toxicity of the chemical could continue long after your tiny tyke has put aside his bottle and started asking for steak and fries. If you want to voice your opinion, the National Toxicology Program is accepting public comments on its draft brief through May 23. You can send them to:

Dr. Barbara Shane
Executive Secretary for the NTP Board of Scientific Counselors
NTP Office of Liaison, Policy and Review,
NIEHS, P.O. Box 12233, MD A3-01
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Tel (919) 541-4253
Fax (919) 541-0295
shane@niehs.nih.gov

Courier address:
NIEHS
111 T.W. Alexander Drive, Room A322
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

--Ylan Q. Mui

By Ylan Mui |  April 18, 2008; 8:19 AM ET Consumer Alerts , Consumer News , Ylan Mui
Previous: Financial Worries | Next: Update: Toys 'R' Us to Phase Out BPA Baby Bottles

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

30 years back while working in a drug store. We got a letter stateing that all
plastic cookware, bottles any thing with food or the body..

Could be recalled?

Money talks little people don't win

Posted by: Ron | April 18, 2008 1:49 PM

Ron,

prove such a letter ever existed. Link to what you're talking about. scaremonger.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 4:31 PM

Dear Scaremonge
I will try to look up some old studdies on this.. This was from the Food and Drug Administration.. What we were sent by our headquarters was how to reset up the store if the recall happen..
IT ALL GOT PULLED UNDER THE RUG
Again

"Money talks little people don't win"

Posted by: Ron | April 19, 2008 2:09 AM

To the poster who said they had a letter from the headquarters of their store. I have a few things to say to you. I might actually take you seriously if you could spell correctly. It is studies not "studdies". Also the phrase is IT ALL GOT SWEPT UNDER THE RUG not "IT all got pulled under the Rug"

I'm concerned about BPA's because I'm about to become a parent for the first time. I have been reading a lot of studies from both sides of the arguement. I have to say I'm going with the option that it is better to be safe than sorry. There are now many alternatives to BPA baby bottles readily available out there. Most of the companies make BPA-free baby bottles so the little guy will be able to make his/her voice heard with their purchases. If people really want a change then they will buy BPA-free.

Saying that you have some sort of letter isn't going to change the minds of people. Doing real research and the buying power of the consumer will.

Posted by: Concerned Mom | April 19, 2008 6:45 PM

Forget the FDA. Thank lord we got wise and learned about BPAs a few years ago -- just in time to nurse our kids using Born Free products found at any Whole Foods.

Posted by: Protocols of Flying | April 19, 2008 9:46 PM

So if those with advanced degrees in chemistry and biology have yet to come to a studied conclusion on the effect of BPA in _human_ children, how on earth should the rest of us have a worthwhile opinion on their toxicology?

Posted by: huh | April 20, 2008 6:15 PM

Huh --

Show me a degreed chemist or biologist who is feeding his or her children with a BPA bottle -- today -- and I'll show you a real idiot. Rolling the dice with your infant? Very nice.

Posted by: Canwehavethose8yrsback | April 21, 2008 8:50 AM

So the standard we should set is "someone somewhere once hypothesized that this might be bad, so it is bad and should be banned? If that's the case, why even have a field of toxicology. You want to use glass bottles, great. Go ahead. I have a neighbor who swears tylenol is guaranteed to kill you eventually. So let's pull it off the shelves too.

Posted by: huh | April 21, 2008 10:22 AM

Huh,

I dont think BPA bottles should be banned in stores. I think more research needs to be done and they need to come up with conclusive evidence that it is harmful to humans before banning it.

I personally am playing it on the safe side until there is a definitive answer. I'm sure they are safe as they have been in use for over 30 years. But as I said before when it comes to my infants health I'm going with its better to be safe than sorry.

Posted by: Concerned Mom | April 22, 2008 8:07 AM

Wal-mart has done the right thing!

"Ninety-five percent of Americans were found to have Bisphenol-A in their urine in a 2004 biomonitoring study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)" - is a scary stat from one of my recent articles about the toxins in our containers and bottles, the full article can be found at http://www.thehealthword.com/articles/phthalates-dioxins-bisphenol-a-the-toxins-in-our-plastic-bottles-20080416

Yours in health,

- Dr M.

Posted by: Dr Mailk | April 24, 2008 12:19 AM

Hello - does anyone know if BPA is in the plastic Brita uses as water containers for the "Brita Filter"? I have an old one from about 15 years ago we still use. Yikes!

Posted by: Wynn | April 27, 2008 4:32 AM