The Checkout

Archive: Recalls

Why won't drawstrings go away?

Yesterday, Brents-Riordan Inc. LLC, of Shreveport, La., recalled 7,400 hooded youth sweatshirts and jackets because the hoods have drawstrings that pose a strangulation hazard. The recall was noteworthy for a few reasons. For starters, the drawstring violation has become a staple of recall alerts, despite the fact that there is an 11-year old voluntary standard that instructs manufacturers not to use drawstrings in the neck area of children's outerwear and to make sure drawstrings at the waist are of a certain length, have no toggles or knots, and are sewn in the back so they can't move. The Consumer Product...

 

By Annys Shin | April 3, 2008; 06:23 AM ET | Comments (0)

Of Peanut Butter and Paranoia

Today, I have a cautionary tale involving peanut butter and paranoia. Since I started covering food-borne illness outbreaks last fall, I've been afflicted by a certain level of paranoia about what I eat, to the point where, even months after the spinach outbreak, I can't bring myself to buy a bag of Dole fresh spinach. When I do buy non-lettuce leafy greens, I boil them to death before consuming them. Whenever I handle raw eggs now, I wash my hands in scalding water before touching anything else -- you get the idea. Anyway, lately I had actually been trying to...

 

By Annys Shin | February 20, 2007; 10:00 AM ET | Comments (0)

Total Recall

It's been a busy past few weeks, what with spinach, Sudafed, and trans fat in the news. In the meantime, there have been a few recalls I thought were worth noting. Orange Menace While the E. coli outbreak in fresh spinach was center stage, bottled carrot juice contaminated with botulism is suspected to have paralyzed a Florida woman and caused respiratory failure in three Georgia residents. Bolthouse Farms of Bakersfield, Calif., voluntarily recalled Bolthouse Farms 100% Carrot Juice, Earthbound Farm Organic Carrot Juice and President's Choice Organics 100% Pure Carrot Juice. All have use by dates up to Nov 11,...

 

By Annys Shin | October 9, 2006; 07:00 AM ET | Comments (0)

Segways Recalled

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has recalled about 23,500 Segways because they can "apply reverse torque to the wheels, which can cause a rider to fall." If you own a Segway, read here for more information. You can find a full list of Segway dealers by Zip code here....

 

By Stacey Garfinkle | September 14, 2006; 02:09 PM ET | Comments (0)

Another Computer Battery Recall: This Time Apple

The Consumer Product Safety Commission today announced another recall of lithium-ion batteries, with components made by Sony. This time, the recall affects batteries for Apple computers, specifically certain iBook G4 and Power Book G4 notebooks. About 1.8 million batteries are affected, including 700,000 battery packs sold outside the U.S. Apple has received nine reports of batteries overheating, including two reports of minor burns from handling overheated computers and other reports of minor property damage. It is, however, unclear if these batteries ever caught on fire. When asked about that, CPSC spokeswman Julie Vallese said, "companies have the authority to...

 

By | August 24, 2006; 01:27 PM ET | Comments (3)

Dell Recalls Sony Laptop Batteries

In the largest recall ever for the consumer electronics industry, Dell Inc. is recalling 4.1 million lithium-ion batteries for laptop computers. The problem: The company knows of several incidents in which the batteries made by Sony Corp. burst into flames and damaged other properties. Read more here. Click here to see if your battery is part of the recall and to get a replacement....

 

By | August 15, 2006; 08:39 AM ET | Comments (4)

Major Toy Recall of Magnetix

The Consumer Product Safety Commission today announced a major recall of all Magnetix magnetic building sets because the tiny magnets inside the plastic building pieces and rods can fall out and be VERY hazardous, especially to young children who like to swallow small parts. If more than one magnet is swallowed, the magnets can attract to each other and cause intestinal perforation or blockage, which can be fatal. The agency said it knows of 34 incidents involving the small magnets, including one death and four serious injuiries. A 20-month-old boy died after he swallowed magnets that twisted his small intestine...

 

By | March 31, 2006; 11:09 AM ET | Comments (36)

Two Important Recalls

The Consumer Product Safety Commission today announced two very important recalls, one involving 5.6 million fans that are fire hazards; the other a crib that resulted in the death of a 19-month-old baby. The Aspen 3 in 1 crib (which bears a Graco logo) was recalled by the CPSC in December 2005. At that time, the company had reported 14 reports of problems, after the wooden mattress supports came loose. That allowed a portion of the mattress to fall, posing a suffocation hazard to infants who can slide down and become entrapped between the unsupported mattress and the end of...

 

By | February 8, 2006; 03:06 PM ET | Comments (0)

Fisher-Price Musical Chair Recalled

Fisher-Price, in coordination with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, has recalled more than 600,000 musical chairs intended for children ages one to three. According to the CPSC news release, a child can get stuck between the back of the seat and side table of the chair. The recalled Laugh & Learn Musical Learning Chair is a plastic blue chair with four green plastic legs and a side table with a purple base and white top. It is about 17 inches high and the table holds a clock, book and lamp. The seat back features a smiley face and the...

 

By Stacey Garfinkle | January 18, 2006; 03:13 PM ET | Comments (2)

 

© 2010 The Washington Post Company