Bach-pology! (Sort of)

Minnesota Republican Rep. Michelle Bachmann, just one week after she alleged that Barack Obama held anti-American views during an appearance on "Hardball," launched a mea culpa ad yesterday aimed at explaining her comments.

Here it is:

What's odd about this ad is that it doesn't seem to know what it is. Is it an apology for her comments last week? Or not?

While never referencing the incident, Bachmann says: "I may not always get my words right but I know my heart is right because my heart is for you."

Why does the ad feel strange? Because Bachmann is trying to do two very different things at once. For those people who are aware of the "Hardball" incident, she wants to express remorse for what she said. For those people who have no idea about the "Hardball" imbroglio, Bachmann wants to make sure it stays that way and so makes no direct reference to why she would be apologizing for not always using the right words to explain herself.

Will it work? Hard to say. Bachmann is in grave danger -- as evidenced by a new Minnesota Public Radio poll that showed former Blaine MayorElwyn Tinklenberg at 45 percent and the GOP incumbent at 43 percent. More troubling for Bachmann is the fact that four in ten voters said he comments made them less likely to vote for her -- a sign of how badly she has damaged herself in less than a week's time.

In an election cycle where voters don't seem to need much reason to vote out Republicans, Bachmann has given them ample fodder to oust her.

By Chris Cillizza  |  October 25, 2008; 11:35 AM ET
Categories:  Ad Wars , House
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Parsing the (Tracking) Poll: Feeling Voters' Pain
Next: The Dean Does New Hampshire

Comments

Chris, you're right; that is one bizarre ad. It doesn't really say anything except, in a creepy, "Hallmark card" way, "I love you all from the bottom of my heart." Well, that's sweet, I guess, if it was from my Grandma. But from a politician? It weirds me out, actually.

Posted by: jaynashvil | October 27, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Boy, this is one bizarre ad. Chris, you're right. It doesn't really say anything except, in a creepy, cliched "Hallmark card" way, "I love you all from the bottom of my heart." Well, that's sweet, I guess, if it was from my Grandma. But from a politician? It creeps me out, actually.

Posted by: jaynashvil | October 27, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Michelle Bachmann, a very slight variation on the Sarah "Mooselini" Palin theme. Does she shoot animals, too? Just curious.

Posted by: alanms | October 27, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Give her the heave. Another example of a species that is about to become extinct - right-wing nut-jobs. Only this one has "heart". Revolting!

Posted by: alanms | October 27, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Bachman's message should be archived as the ultimate example of an American politician who would score very low on morals and ethics and high on producing a sickeningly sweet message that is supposed to be viewed as being sincere and caring.

Only Fox News can beat this with their "factual" news reports and editorials. I could still understand this if these Fox character assassins believed something and chose to report blatant untruths to make a buck.

Unfortunately, I must believe that they believe the drivel that they put out as facts.

Posted by: elijikelele | October 27, 2008 5:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: elijikelele | October 27, 2008 5:28 AM | Report abuse

Michelle Bachmann is a total disgrace. A national republican figure calling for anyone who disagrees with her to be investigated for being anti-american? And then, pretending to (but not actually) apoogizing for it? I didn't thik she could make it worse, be she has - based on her new ad she seems to actually believe that anyone who doesn't share her bizarre fundamentalist worldview is un-american! Another new low for the GOP. Come on, Minnesota, show this disgrace the door, and show the country and the world that we good people of this country won't stand for this kind of crap.

Posted by: chiefnugt | October 26, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable. I got half-way through her excuses. She makes me sick. She is THE problem with politics now, she and the rest of the so-called republikan "leadership".

Disgusting.

More of the same? Vote McCain.

Posted by: Jaxon1 | October 26, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

WARNING!!

You tube video of Barack Obama in Kenya supporting Raila Odinga, the election and violence afterwards.

Odinga was the agent of 'change'

Posted by: cingi | October 26, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Democrats for John McCain and Sarah Palin in 2008

Posted by: hclark1 | October 26, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

37/0 puffed:

-------------------

No wonder he is losing ground in both states.

Arizona..McCain down from +21 to +4 in a month.

New Hampshire...Obama up 15 today.

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 26, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Proof, once again, that being a Republican means never having to say you're sorry.

Posted by: tsawyer_mv | October 26, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Let's be serious here gentlemen New Hampshire voters are probably the most familiar with John McCain compared to any state including Arizona - the idea that New Hampshire voters do not know that McCain is independent of Bush is crazy.

What is going on this year - very little press scrutiny in the national media of Rezko, Ayers and the Rev. Wright who all mentored Obama - very little or nothing about Emil Jones.

McCain's portrayal in the press has been just about malpractice on the part of the national media - McCain has been at odds with the national Republican leadership for years - McCain fought for years to get a Campaign Finance Reform legislation - McCain has been the maverick all through - if the public does not know this one has to blame the press for being deceptive.

In contrast Obama SAYS HE WANTS TO DO WHAT MCCAIN HAS DONE. Classic deception.

This year has been unbelievable. In the end I believe John McCain will win because the American people are smarter than the press.

Posted by: 37thandOSt | October 26, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Notice how she uses lipstick...Draw your own conclusions

Posted by: omzes1 | October 26, 2008 5:49 AM | Report abuse

As a Minnesotan I have alwayus been aware of her being heavily "lipsticked". Draw your own conclusion!

Posted by: omzes1 | October 26, 2008 5:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: omzes1 | October 26, 2008 5:42 AM | Report abuse

Her ad would have worked if her original comments were out of character for her. They weren't. People in Minnesota didn't like her before, and these comments were just the last straw.

Posted by: TomJx | October 26, 2008 3:17 AM | Report abuse

This woman is just another crazy republican lady. It seems we have had one too many of those already this week. however calling the next POTUS Un-American kind of takes the cake OR did Palin really call Obama a communist today? Somehow it never stops. Ten more days folks and barring a HUGE voter repression, we can take a deep breath for a change.

Posted by: Opa2 | October 26, 2008 2:27 AM | Report abuse

This is your moment, Elwyn Tinklenberg.

More at www.unibrow.blog.com

Posted by: tomunibrow | October 26, 2008 2:19 AM | Report abuse

That was an apology like her saying, "I'm sorry that Obama is a communist."

Well, Congressman Bachman (for one more week only), I'm not sorry that we Democrats and non-insane Independents are going to bury your you and your party and then pee on the grave.

And you can convey that to your mentor, Sen. Joe McCarthy, when you see him (eventually).

Posted by: Christian_in_NYC | October 26, 2008 1:43 AM | Report abuse

"I'm sorry wpost4112, I thought I was having an intelligent conversation but then I realized you were unable - considering you feel the Clintons are the most powerful Democratic Family, proved that! I believe that coveted position has already been filled by the Kennedys."

Historically, maybe, but I'm certain that the Clintons have a lot more sway over the party today, especially in light of Hillary's success in the primaries. (yes, she lost, but she did VERY well for herself)

Posted by: DDAWD | October 26, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

"My father was a businessman. He regaled us with stories of New Orleans, how good the food was, how fun the oyster bars were. My father is dead, and so is New Orleans."

Not this weekend it isn't.

Posted by: DDAWD | October 26, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

"The reason I will vote against my Republican registration this year is simple.

For 25 years I have been casting a pro-life vote. Nothing good has come of that.

What I now confront is an incompetent administration which has brought upon my nation the worst financial crisis since (I know, it's trite, but it's true) the great depression."

Honestly, I bet we see a reduction of abortions under Obama. It is an economics issue as much as anything else. As the lots of Americans improve, you'll see more people keeping their pregnancies.

Posted by: DDAWD | October 26, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the caps. I didn't realize the caps key was on and was to lazy to type it over. I use a wireless keyboard and do always look at the screen all the time.

Posted by: popasmoke | October 26, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I mean don't always look at the screen.

Posted by: popasmoke | October 26, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

easy on the caps, eh?

And so what? Seems that just plays to Obama's advantage. No one listens to that kind of hysteria except the far right...it never penetrates those in the middle or the
Indies.

Heck, the more she goes postal, the better for all of us.

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 25, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse
-----------

Posted by: popasmoke | October 26, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

wpost4112, I earnestly hope that you're right, and that Nawlins is being rebuilt. After all, I'm just a fictional character ;)

Posted by: officermancuso | October 26, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Your father's New Orleans may be dead, but there are quite a few people rebuilding a very alive New Orleans, regardless of that 6 eggs short of a dozen Mayor.

Nothing remains the same.

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 25, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who publicly claims that God has called them to political office is a right wing nut job in my opinion.

In as much as you have not made that claim, I rescind my endearment with apologies.

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 25, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

TimeforMcCain, what do you think of candidates who accuse their opponents of being terrorists?

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe that the Bushicans are arguing that the Democrats are going to distribute free stuff.

Has anyone been paying attention?

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes I do support a war hero, I'll concede the arguments are polite, but right wing nut and nutjob have no place in a country that does nothing but complain about negativity being a downside of political elections

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Why all the backlash on the number of houses mccain has? When did the american way become to depress success? I don't hear anyone saying why did he live in an enemy prison for 5 years in defense of his country.

--------------

i think it has something to do with his cheating on and then dumping his first wife to marry a much younger and very rich heiress.

Americans respect earned success, not marrying into it.

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 25, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

popasmoke, arguing that someone is hysterical while typing in capital letters may have certain drawbacks - but VOTE, my friend

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

PALIN BECOMES HYSTERICAL TODAY CALLING OBAMA A COMMUNIST WHO WILL TAKE YOUR PROPERTY TO DIVIDE IT AMONG EVERYBODY ELSE. HER HANDLERS SAY SHE IS BECOMING UNHINGED. THEY CAN NOT CONTROL HER ANYMORE. SHE SAYS WHATEVER COMES INTO HER HEAD NO MATTER HOW CRAZY..

=============

easy on the caps, eh?

Indies.

Heck, the more she goes postal, the better for all of us.

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 25, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: popasmoke | October 25, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but if you're not ready for a little rough and tumble, how about sticking around your elementary school?

Life's a pain and then you die.

Claiming to support a war hero, and whining about a little political argumentation - which, to the extent I saw it, seemed very polite - just won't cut it.

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I noticed that none of the responses to my questions have been answered without using a derrogatory name to address me - this simply makes my point, you talk of coming together in peace as a nation yet you can't do it without name calling - something I find concerning

------------------

LOL.

It means nothing of the kind. This is an anonymous political blog where language is quick and loose. To elevate these conversations to real action in the real world is just silly.

Most crucial to peace is justice. Justice relies upon the rule of law. Our key concern is restoring the rule of law. Something this administration has crippled.

To sweat a little name calling is just meaningless.

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 25, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

nutjob isn't a derrogatory comment?

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Next thing you know, Time for McCain's gonna have a backwards "B" on his face

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for taking all of your quotes out of context, if you would also include the text before and after, this would give a fair and accurate assessment of the point the speaker was attempting to make

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

TimeforMcCain wrote, "I noticed that none of the responses to my questions have been answered without using a derrogatory name to address me"

Are you kidding me?

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry wpost4112, I thought I was having an intelligent conversation but then I realized you were unable - considering you feel the Clintons are the most powerful Democratic Family, proved that! I believe that coveted position has already been filled by the Kennedys. Thank you for the tutorial though - I also meant "political" experience, this is in fact a political election.

-----------------

Kennedys have political clout, based on historical sentiment, but not nearly the real political leverage of Bill and Hillary. Bill remains the wiliest and most influential politician in the Dem party.

But, even if they were second to the Kennedys, the point remains the same.

The Presidency is not solely about politics...as Bush has proven by his many failures. Barack has proven his political bona fides via his brilliant campaign; fortunately for the USA, he has gifts and skills beyond the merely political. Of such are great Presidents made. It remains to be seen if he is equal to that challenge.

I know McCain is not and never will be. He has proven that with his disastrous choices and his presumptuous, reckless and lazy campaign.

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 25, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

"Our economy is structurally sound for the long term"
George W Bush - Feb 11, 2008

"The American people can remain confident in the soundness and the resilience of our financial system"
Henry Paulson - Sept 15, 2008

"The economy is fundamentally sound"
Herbert Hoover - October, 1931

"The fundamentals of our economy are strong"
John McCain - Sept 15, 2008

McCain does not have the ability to fix this economic crisis. After declaring the fundamentals of the economy strong, he created a political circus in Washington by mucking up bailout negotiations; a deplorable campaign stunt, considering he and his political cronies helped cause the current meltdown.

It was McCain and his economic adviser Phil Gramm who pushed for the deregulation that helped lead to the banking crisis, and it was McCain's crony Rick Davis who had deep lobbyist ties to Freddie Mac. Don't let others be fooled by McCain's economic grandstanding because the reality is his policies and principles will only exacerbate our financial hardships.

McCain is being deceitful with his sudden populist message and support for regulation; his economic policies still favor our nation's wealthy elite.

Posted by: DrainYou | October 25, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

TimeforMcCain, you underestimate the number of people who pine for Clintons and Kennedys.

Who pines for Bushes? Raise your hands.

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

The reason I will vote against my Republican registration this year is simple.

I see one of America's great cities, devastated by a natural disaster, still wallowing in the mud.

I see our armed forces split two ways begging the next administration to have to enact a draft to sustain Dubya's policies.

I see health care apportioned as irrationally as possible.

War, and health care, are pro-life issues. I will be faithful to my fundamental convictions, and I will vote for Barack Obama.

I have one more thing to say. I do not see Republicans as "the enemy".

We are one nation, hopefully under God.

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

To Drainyou

I believe Barack Obama is fairly well off, what makes him more able to relate to the middle class? Because he says so? But then again politicians always tell the truth, right? Other than the fact that he may have had more of a difficult financial upbringing, there is nothing in his current situation that makes him better able to understand my financial shortcomings. He tells us he "gets it" why does he?

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

--------------

LOL.

It's not sad at all. I pointed to his limited "political" experience, which is true. As it was for Abraham Lincoln.

On the other hand, he's brilliant, a superb strategist and, for someone with such limited political experience, has been crushingly successful campaigning against the most powerful Democratic political family in American history and against the one Republican who had a strong following among Independents (before losing them by choosing the right wing incompetent Palin).

The only sadness belongs to McCain.

Mediocre experience is no match for leadership DNA.

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 25, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

To Officermancuso

After rereading your response I find it curious that you used the term "regime", would you consider that same term for the potential upcoming majority in the house/senate as well as a democratic whitehouse. I believe for the last 2 years there was something of a balance in Washington, so would you agree that the democratic majority was equally to blame for our current financial situation? Or do you stand by your assessment that George Bush is completely to blame? I've come to notice in my years, that if something is said loudly and often it becomes the truth. This country is set to completely erradicate the republicans from Washington, for whatever reason remains unclear to me, when the congress has been in the majority for 2 years and has an even lower approval rating than the president

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

MCCAIN IS OUT OF TOUCH WITH MIDDLE-CLASS AMERICA'S ECONOMIC TROUBLES! McCain in April 08 declared that there had been "great progress economically" during the Bush years. On more than one occasion, he diagnosed Americans' concerns over the dismal U.S. economy as "psychological." (Phil Gramm, McCain's close friend and economic adviser supposedly excommunicated over his "whiners" remarks, is back with the McCain campaign full time again.) McCain, a man who owns eight homes nationwide, in March lectured Americans facing foreclosure that they ought to be "doing what is necessary -- working a second job, skipping a vacation, and managing their budgets -- to make their payments on time." And when all else fails, McCain told the people of the economically devastated regions in Martin County, Kentucky and Youngstown, Ohio, there's always eBay. McCain doesn't understand our tanking economy because it doesn't affect him.

The $100 Million Man
Courtesy of his wife Cindy's beer distribution fortune (one her late father apparently chose not to share with her half-sister Kathleen), the McCains are worth well over $100 million. (In the two-page tax summary she eventually released to the public, Cindy McCain reported another $6 million in 2006.) As Salon reported back in 2000, the second Mrs. McCain's millions were essential in launching her husband's political career. Unsurprisingly, the Weekly Standard's Matthew Continetti, who four years ago called Theresa Heinz-Kerry a "sugar mommy," has been silent on the topic of Cindy McCain.

The Joys of (Eight) Home Ownership
While fellow adulterer John Edwards was pilloried for his mansion, John McCain's eight homes around the country have received little notice or criticism. His properties include a 10 acre lake-side Sedona estate, euphemistically called a "cabin" by the McCain campaign, and a home featured in Architectural Digest. The one featuring "remote control window coverings" was recently put up for sale. Still, their formidable resources did not prevent the McCains from failing to pay taxes on a tony La Jolla, California condo used by Cindy's aged aunt.

The Anheuser-Busch Windfall
While John McCain played a critical role in facilitating DHL's takeover of Airborne (and with it, the looming loss of 8,000 jobs in Wilmington, Ohio), Cindy McCain is set to earn a staggering multi-million dollar pay-day from the acquisition of Anheuser-Busch by the Belgian beverage giant, In Bev. As the Wall Street Journal reported in July, Mrs. McCain runs the third largest Anheuser-Busch distributorship in the nation, and owns between $2.5 and $5 million in the company's stock.

Posted by: DrainYou | October 25, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

nutjob barked:

----------------------

Bachmann called Obama anti-American, which is absurd. She also is on record as saying that she was called to Congress by God. Of course she is a right wing nut.

Murtha identified many of his own constituents as racist rednecks. Which is demonstrably true.
A racist will not vote for someone solely on their race. A redneck is ..well, just watch Jeff Foxworthy.

Murtha may be politically foolish, but his statement was not absurd, nor is he a nut job who claims to get his orders from God.

Bachmann IS a right wing nut.

Murtha an honest former Marine.

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 25, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

TimeforMcCain, is your argument that Bush didn't know that Saddam had no weapons of mass destruction?

If so, my argument is, the man is, and has always been, clueless.

Does Obama strike you as a clueless man?

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

If Obama's smart, he'll follow Pailin into Beaver and Butler county, and argue "card check". People thereabouts remember a time when a union job was a good job.

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I actually don't agree 100% with The Bush policy, nor can I say that I 100% agreed with any other president during my lifetime, but if memory serves George Bush, along with Colin Powell and a congressional majority felt that the Iraq war was warranted based on the information they had at the time. Look, a don't like the war either, I have family members stationed there as I write this, but a president has to make decisions based on current information, he is not afforded the luxury of 5 or more years to analize the decision. Unfortunately he has to be willing to make tough decisions and deal with the fallout, everyone in america seems to think George Bush is to blame for everything, but I believe the buck has to pass through many before it gets to him. I like to have educated discussions, but unfortunately the commentary I see here is nothing more than blathering for those who for whatever reason see the future through rose colored glasses and the past through blinders.

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

People in Pennsylvania - where I grew up and lived till I was 45 and left for a better job, as so many of us have had to do - are, by and large intelligent enough to know which side their bread is buttered on.

Which is bad news for McCain.

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Let me understand this - Michelle Bachmann is a right wing nut, what would that make democratic Congressman John Murtha of Pennsylvania? But I guess that doesn't matter considering Barack Obama already called Pennsylvanians bitter people who cling to their guns and their religion. I guess it only matters what they say if they are not from your political party?

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

TimeForMcCain, you can't really believe that the end of the Bush regime is the ordinary every eight year thing, can you? An unpopular war left over for his successor to resolve, a financial crisis the likes of which we haven't seen since that beloved Republican icon Herbert Hoover. You can't really believe that, right?

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, am somewhat surprised at the small margin by which Tinklenberg now reportedly leads. The two polls that came out yesterday showed 3 to 4 points. I was expecting this race to be close before she went on Hardball - that its still close afterwards is surprising, to me.

Posted by: bsimon1 | October 25, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

to wpost4112

What is sad is the fact that you recognize the limited experience of your candidate and find it worth highlighting - are you Joe biden? It's okay you can tell us

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Why is it at the end of Every presidency - really, every presidency the president is considered a louse? Ford, Carter, Reagan, George HW, Clinton and now George W, how many times can we have "change" that really matters? What I find most humorous is the sudden unfettered rise in popularity of Bill Clinton, what a fickle america. I believe if memory serves Bill "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" Clinton left in near disgrace but not before nearly being impeached for lying. Now it matters when he will finally join the next louse-to-be on stage in Orlando this coming week. When will people realize the "steady at the wheel" image is created by someone else. When I think of the fabricated image that is Barack Obama I actually have to laugh. When I hear people say he has handled the economic crisis so well I'm baffled, he did nothing, I'm sure not unlike what he'll do if he's president. He's been running for president since he hit the washington circuit -
Step #1 - disavow all unsavory characters
Step #2 - brush up on speech giving skills
Step #3 - get all liberal media on your side (this must have been difficult)
Step #4 - donate money to a "nonpartisan group - that really isn't nonpartisan to help "get out the vote"
I for one cannot wait until after the election when America finally has a major awakening - unfortunately for those expecting their financial windfall, compliments of the government, it will come just alittle too late

Posted by: TimeforMcCain | October 25, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

response to: (DrainYou | October 25, 2008 7:35 PM)

Yeah, Joe "the plumber" was a classic: a tax-evading rednek who isn't technically a plumber. doh!

Posted by: con_crusher | October 25, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

This one's in the books. When the RNC pulled the plug on their support of that fundamentalist wingnut, her campaign was toast. The comments were bad enough. Let's cut to the chase. Afterwards she made striaght-up lies about what she actually said. It's not the "words" so much, as the lies that followed. The pro-American thing to do is to vote that rightwing-extremist $cumbag out of office. Golly, you betcha!

Posted by: con_crusher | October 25, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

The hard right of the Republican party - the folks who probably won contested Republican primaries this year - are the very folks most likely to lose in November. They've become associated with the scent of incompetence, which is, politically, far worse than the scent of ideology.

What incompetence, you might ask? How about deciding to go to war in Iraq. How about "good job, Brownie" as we say goodbye to New Orleans as business travelers have known it. How about the current financial fiasco, soon to be felt in living rooms across the nation?

Posted by: officermancuso | October 25, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the next McCain campaign stunt will be?

So far we've had:
-----------------------

- "Drill, baby, drill"

- "Ashley the Fraud

- "Joe the pretend Plumber"

- "OMG! Bill Ayers"!

I am I missing anything?

Grampy McCain has become a very sick man in his old age, he needs to retire.

HEY MCCAIN!
Lie, lie to my face
Tell me it ain't no thing
That's what I wanna hear

Take, your lie to the grave
That's what an old friend told me
Look what it did for him
The truth hurts so bad, wouldn't you say?
So why tell it?
If ignorance is bliss, then you're in
Heaven now, My Friend.

Posted by: DrainYou | October 25, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Freedom? Liberty? Message is wrong.

I was fascinated by her remark that she had never heard of Chris Matthews when she agreed to appear as his guest. A member of Congress who never heard of Chris Matthews?

Pass the dunce cap Palin.

Betcha she thinks 'bout Matthews 'til her dyin' day...

Posted by: jandcgall1 | October 25, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

For me, it is time for The-Fix prediction.

Let's look at the top FIVE winners by widest margin in modern history.

1) Bill Clinton's 5.6-point win over President George H.W. Bush in 1992

2) George Bush's 7.7-point win over Massachusetts Gov. Michael Dukakis in 1988

3) Bill Clinton's 8.5-point win over Sen. Bob Dole in 1996

4) Ronald Reagan's 9.7-point victory over President Carter in 1980

5) Dwight Eisenhower's 10.9-point win over Adlai Stevenson in 1952

My prediction: Barack Obama will win by 11.6 point margin over John McCain in 2008.

Posted by: kat7 | October 25, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Bachmann's voters are clinically insane and dangerous, to boot. This nasty little nut job wants to be the reincarnation of Joseph McCarthy. It looks like the voters in Minnesota are going to toss their spoiled turkey leftovers early this year; just where she belongs, in the garbage.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | October 25, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

She said the media should look into who of the members of congress have anti-American views.

What the heck does that mean? American congresspeople holding anti-American views? Does she mean they are spies for foreign conutries? If not, she should understand that American Congressmen and -women have American views. America is versatile and a democracy. At least for as long as her own views will not be implemented.

Posted by: asoders22 | October 25, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

What a sad end to McCain's career.

First, a freshman senator with a light political resume is about to trounce him for the highest political office in the land...something McC has been working towards his whole life.

Then his own running mate, whom he plucked out of obscurity, draws hugely larger crowds and now thumbs her nose at him and goes her own way, looking to her own future.

He's kind of a cross between Rodney Dangerfield (I get no respect!) and Salieri (God was singing through this little man to all the world, unstoppable, making my defeat more bitter with every passing bar).

It's a wonder he doesn't implode.

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 25, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

People who agree with this politician in that America needs a patriotic purging are enemies of the Constitution and Traitors to the Bill of Rights. Make no mistake in sugar coating this behavior. They are as anti-American as the Alaskan Independence Party favored by Palin.

Posted by: seemstome | October 25, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

she is very very sad. this is obvious an insincere attempt to get ahead in the polls

Listen: Joe McCain Makes 911 Call About Traffic

Posted by: coba11 | October 25, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Budikavian, Thank you for putting things into perspective. I honestly was aghast at what she said and wondered why anyone would say, outloud, something so inflamitory. Other than she is s-t-u-p-i-d.
My mom, a 50+ year republican, is so disheartened with her party. She says they have 'no good or common sense' and McCain is void of the Republican integrity in which she used to believe. She read this article and now things are very clear to her. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1024927
I'll be glad when this is over!

Posted by: BakedAlaska1 | October 25, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Once again, the tendency of ultra-Christian Cleopatras to pretend the real world doesn't exist bites one in the ass. People like Michele Bachmann spend too much time cooped up with people who have the same biases they do, then when they venture out into the real world they let a few bon mots slip which don't play as well with real people. I hope her self-inflicted wound finishes her off.

Posted by: Budikavlan | October 25, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

It'd be great to see Obama make an appearance in Minnesota with Tinklenberg and Franken to try to push them both across the finish line, though I understand he'll win there handily and his presence is needed more in states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Missouri and Florida.

Given a choice of seeing various House Republicans survive or defeated, Bachmann and Musgrave, along with the ethically challenged Feeney and Young, top the list of those Republicans who the country would be better off without. If Chris Shays survives, that wouldn't be a terrible thing. It's similar in the Senate where if there is a Republican who escapes the coming Democratic landslide, it might as well be Maine's Collins. Far preferable to have a moderate like her who generally represents her state well survive, as opposed to the ethically-challenged, over-the-hill Ted Stevens, or an out-of-touch, ineffective Elizabeth Dole.

Posted by: OHIOCITIZEN | October 25, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

...but her assessment of Barack Obama was the truth.

Posted by: armpeg | October 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse
====================================
Burble warble, gargled the wingnut armpeg.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | October 25, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Another right wing nut job opens mouth and inserts foot,just what we need a female Joe McCarthy to stir up anti -american sentiments at a time when we need to come together as a nation with comments like hers its no wonder the terriost think we're on the way down.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 25, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I saw the Bachman ad. I think she was trying to emulate Nixon but forgot to have her dog with her.

Posted by: pbarnett52 | October 25, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The next president needs to have our undivided support to accomplish the things that we as a country need done to help us out of the messes we are in. The sooner the country can unite behind the next leader, the stronger and better off we will all be.

The Republicans who can't accept Obama need to figure out how to do so or get out of the way. Maybe the RNC should set up counseling hotlines or something.

Posted by: AsperGirl | October 25, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Huh? She still gets her words wrong. She says:

"We could embrace government as the answer to our problems or we could choose freedom and liberty."

What does that mean? Why does she want to be part of government based on this? Government is a threat to freedom and liberty according to her.

Posted by: FauxReal | October 25, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

It's not constructive for Republicans to be engaging in this kind of talk. Whether his opponents fear Obama or not, if he is elected President he is entitled to our respect and support. This is something that military veterans have learned: it never helps the team (country) to attack the leader. The problem with the kind of rhetoric this woman engaged in and that some fearful Republicans are engaging in, is that it will be unhealthy if, after Obama is elected, a lot of Obama-haters are attacking him as the enemy.

When the election is over, whomever is elected will be our leader and we have to accept him as such. The kind of enemy-among-us talk that Bachmann engaged in is not good for the country.

Republicans who hate Obama on the basis of some malignant fears have to get over it or step down. The next president has too many difficult things to address to deal with crazies in the legislative branch on the warpath against him and his supporters.

There's nothing more dysfunctional than unbending losers!

Posted by: AsperGirl | October 25, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Congressional seat Bachman!

We didn't expect that one!!

10 more days....

:-)

Posted by: toritto | October 25, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

pegarm flatulates:

--------------

Who let the lipsticked pitbulls out?

Posted by: wpost4112 | October 25, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

This seat is sauce for the goose for the DNCC. It looks like we're on the verge of a laugher.

All the same, how scary is it that 4 in 10 people in this wing-nut's district would still vote for her?

Posted by: bondjedi | October 25, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Assuming this plays out as expected, it should be a lesson to the legislators on either fringe of the partisan divide that Americans are a moderate, decent people who will fire hare-brained radicals of any stripe. Apologies to the bunnies out there.

Posted by: optimyst | October 25, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

From Minneapolis - I'll be going up the road to the 6th district in a little bit to knock on doors for Tinklenberg, Franken and Obama.

What Bachmann said is the full, unvarnished, consistent, Bachmann we've known here for years. We know who she is. She's never been shy about telling us.

Get out there and get out the vote. Ten days left.

Posted by: NunzusCaesar | October 25, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

This type of rhetoric is a direct result of some people falling in line with the McCan/Palin campaign theme. What sadness. Barack Obama has remained calm and collected in contrast. .....................

Posted by: glclark4750 | October 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Michele Bachmann has no reason to apologize, her comment re. Barack Obama being un-American was correct. Obama was a member and supporter of that racist white--hating and America--hating church Trinity UFC for more than 20 years and all his friends, business acocciates, and everyone he schoozed around with for his entire adult life were America--haters. You'd have to be pretty dumb to believe that Barack Obama had any love for America after all that 20+ years of showing his hatred for our country. Bachmann's words might not have been diplomatic, but her assessment of Barack Obama was the truth.

Posted by: armpeg | October 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

These for the Congressional seat Bachmann!!

It was one we didn't expect.

:-)

Posted by: toritto | October 25, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

This is one politician that needs to be replaced before she starts a patriotic inquisition. We are Americans not Soviets.

Posted by: seemstome | October 25, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Every political party needs its chattering, partisan, echo-chamber tools. This woman appears to be one of them. Why are Republicans so unable to talk to people outside their little ideological world?

Posted by: AsperGirl | October 25, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I live in District 1 in MN, not District 6 that elected Michelle Bachmann as Representative. As MN residents, most of us pride ourselves on being "MN nice", meaning respectful and courteous. People go out of their way to respond to the needs of others. Bachmann does not represent what is positive about the people of this state. Please, please voters of District 6 -- vote to bring Bachmann home to well-deserved obscurity.

Posted by: jefinch | October 25, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Ms Joe McCarthy. At long last, madam, have you no shame?

Nope.

Posted by: bourassa1 | October 25, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

This just in. Lake Wobegone's "Bachelor Norwegian Farmers" have been called to task by Bachmann. She thinks they're gay. She's also refused to go on "Ellen Degenerate", as she calls it, to "apologize". "20,000 Lakes & 1 Flake" that's Minnesota

When we will send ladies to Mars? Whenever Congresswoman Bachmann wants to go!

Posted by: NotBubba | October 25, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse