Afternoon Fix: Huckabee won't criticize rivals
Joe Courtney won't run for Senate, Scott Brown won't run for president, and Michele Bachmann has found a GOP paradise.
Make sure to sign up to get "Afternoon Fix" in your e-mail inbox every day by 5 (ish) p.m.!
EARLIER ON THE FIX
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED
* Rep. Joe Courtney (D-Conn.) will not run for the Senate seat being vacated by Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.). "I am truly grateful for the tremendous encouragement and enthusiastic support I have received from leaders across Connecticut as I have considered this question," he said. He said his decision was based in part on efforts by House Republicans to have funding for his district cut.
* Two of Rahm Emanuel's mayoral race rivals - Former Chicago schools president Gery Chico and former senator Carol Moseley Braun - predict they will get enough votes to force a runoff with him.
* During a speech to the South Carolina Federation of Republican Women, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) called the state a "GOP paradise."
* In case you were wondering, Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) is not running for president in 2012, "No, I'm running for reelection to the United States Senate," he said on CBS this morning.
WHAT YOU SHOULDN'T MISS
* Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) declined to criticize potential rivals Mitch Daniels and Haley Barbour in a conference call with reporters today. As for reports that Huckabee is trying to thwart Mitt Romney: "That's absurd. It's beyond absurd."
* Former senator Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) is close to closing the deal with the Motion Picture Association of America. He'll be the group's chief lobbyist. When he left the Senate, Dodd told reporters that he would not become a lobbyist.
* One Rhode Island town is in such dire straits that their mayor has been demoted to adviser. Of course, he's also under both state and federal corruption investigation.
* Warwick Mayor Scott Avedisian might challenge Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) next year. He's a close friend of Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee (I).
THE FIX MIX
With Rachel Weiner and Aaron Blake
| February 21, 2011; 5:09 PM ET
Categories: Afternoon Fix
Save & Share: Previous: Indiana GOP lines up behind Lugar's primary challenger
Next: Swing states on the rise heading into 2012