Afternoon Fix: Paul Ryan to deliver State of the Union response; Evan Bayh joins private equity firm
Wisconsin Republican Rep. Paul Ryan will deliver the Republican response to the State of the Union; former Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.) joins a private equity firm; and former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty (R) hits up New Hampshire next week.
Make sure to sign up to get "Afternoon Fix" in your e-mail inbox every day by 5 (ish) p.m.!
EARLIER ON THE FIX
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED
* Wisconsin Republican Rep. Paul Ryan has been tapped to deliver the Republican response to President Obama's State of the Union address next week. Meanwhile, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) plans to deliver her own rebuttal in conjunction with the Tea Party Express.
* Texas Republican Rep. Michael McCaul isn't ruling out a bid for the seat of retiring Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas). Should he run, McCaul would face a crowded field of contenders, with more likely on the way.
* Sen. Richard Lugar (R-Ind.) raised nearly $400,000 for his 2012 re-election bid an event outside of Indianapolis tonight attended by 420 supporters. Lugar had more than $2.3 million on hand at the end of December, making him well-positioned even as he faces what's almost certain to be a tough race.
* Former Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.) has joined Apollo Global Management, a New York private equity firm.
WHAT YOU SHOULDN'T MISS
* Former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty (R) visits the 2012 early state of New Hampshire on Monday and Tuesday. On Monday, he signs copies of his new book at a Manchester Barnes and Noble and delivers a keynote address at the Merrimack County GOP Reception. On Tuesday, he hosts another book-signing and is the featured guests at a "Politics & Eggs" event in Bedford.
* At the House Democratic retreat today, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Steve Israel unveiled the party's "Drive for 25" campaign to win back the House majority.
* A host of potential GOP 2012 presidential hopefuls including Gingrich, Pawlenty, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, former Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton, former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, Rep. Mike Pence (Ind.), former Sen. Rick Santorum (Pa.) and Sen. John Thune (S.D.) will attend a fundraiser for the Illinois Republican Party on Feb. 5.
THE FIX MIX
Adventures in cat-sitting.
With Felicia Sonmez and Aaron Blake