Afternoon Fix: Senate defeats "don't ask, don't tell" repeal; House Democrats dig in their heels on tax-cut package
Make sure to sign up to get "Afternoon Fix" in your e-mail inbox every day by 5 (ish) p.m.!
EARLIER ON THE FIX
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED
* By a 57-to-40 vote, the Senate defeated efforts to move forward on a defense authorization bill including language that would repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" ban on gays serving openly in the military. Senate Democrats fell short of securing a procedural deal with Republicans in the closing weeks of the lame-duck session.
* Former Florida House Majority Leader Adam Hasner (R) appears to be testing the waters of a bid against Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) in 2012, joining outgoing Sen. George LeMieux (R), Rep. Connie Mack (R) and state Sen. Mike Haridopolos (R) as a potential GOP contender.
* Still fuming over the White House's deal with Republicans on the tax-cut package, House Democrats passed by voice vote this morning a resolution stating that the proposal should not come to the House floor. The resolution is non-binding but signals House Democrats remain deeply dissatisfied with the deal.
* Washington Democratic Sen. Patty Murray, who agreed to chair the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee in the 2012 cycle after several others declined, said that taking on the position "was the right thing to do."
WHAT YOU SHOULDN'T MISS
* Josh Holmes will succeed Billy Piper as Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-Ky.) chief of staff. Holmes currently serves as staff director in McConnell's Senate Republican Communications Center.
* Iowa Republican Party Chairman Matt Strawn will run for another term, setting him up to be a key figure in the Hawkeye State's first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses in 2012.
* South Dakota Republican Sen. John Thune, a potential presidential contender, is slated to speak at the Conservative Political Action Committee's annual meeting in February.
* Republicans are courting Pennsylvania state Sen. Kim Ward (R) to run against Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.). Ward said that she's "not ruling anything in or out; it's too early."
THE FIX MIX
With Felicia Sonmez and Aaron Blake