Afternoon Fix: Michael Bennet opts against chairing DSCC; Texas Gov. Rick Perry to be tapped for RGA chairmanship
Make sure to sign up to get "Afternoon Fix" in your e-mail inbox every day by 5 (ish) p.m.!
EARLIER ON THE FIX
Who had the worst week in Washington? Michele Bachmann
Live Fix Chat: The race for RNC chairman and 2012 speculation galore
Florida Republican Sen. George LeMieux mulling a 2012 bid against Sen. Bill Nelson
Fast Fix: Breaking down the 2012 GOP field
The 2012 Presidential Line!
Michael Steele draws first challenger in RNC Chair race
The pessimistic public (and what it means)
FIRST ON THE FIX:
* Colorado Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet has opted against chairing the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, according to sources familiar with his decision. With Bennet out of the running, attention will turn now squarely to Washington State Sen. Patty Murray.
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED
* Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) is slated to be tapped as the new chairman of the Republican Governors Association at next week's RGA meeting in San Diego, according to GOP sources. Perry would succeed Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, the current chairman of the RGA; the move is the strongest indication yet that Perry will not pursue a 2012 presidential bid.
* Illinois Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias (D) will not run for Chicago mayor, according to his spokesperson, Kathleen Strand. "To put all rumors to rest, before they get out of hand, Alexi is not running for Mayor. He didn't get into public service to just run for office," Strand said.
* Republican Andy Barr conceded today to Rep. Ben Chandler (D) in Kentucky's 6th District. The announcement follows a recanvass in which Barr gained only a single vote in the race.
* West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin (D), who gave his farewell address as governor today, is expected to be sworn in as West Virginia's junior senator on Monday. State Senate President Earl Ray Tomblin (D) is slated to become acting governor.
WHAT YOU SHOULDN'T MISS
* Florida Democratic Party Chairwoman Karen Thurman officially stepped down from her post today after six years at the party's helm. Former state Sen. Rod Smith (D) is considering a bid to succeed her.
* Former President George W. Bush goes "On the Record" with Fox News Channel's Greta Van Susteren tonight from the campus of Southern Methodist University.
* Former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel (D) will make his Chicago mayoral bid official on Saturday.
* Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's (R) TV show, "Sarah Palin's Alaska," debuts Sunday night on TLC.
* Embattled Rep. Charlie Rangel's (D-N.Y.) ethics trial begins on Monday. Rangel faces 13 counts of violating House ethics rules; a verdict could come before the week is out.
THE FIX MIX
Can you teach Wolf how to Dougie?
With Felicia Sonmez and Aaron Blake