Afternoon Fix: Pat Toomey grows lead to nine; Harry Reid and Sharron Angle bludgeon each other
Make sure to sign up to get "Afternoon Fix" in your e-mail inbox every day by 5 (ish) p.m.!
EARLIER ON THE FIX
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED
* A new Franklin and Marshall poll shows former Rep. Pat Toomey (R) taking a 40 percent-to-31 percent lead on Rep. Joe Sestak (D) among likely voters in the Pennsylvania Senate race. His lead is just 3 percent among registered voters (translation: enthusiasm gap).
* Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Sharron Angle (R) are upping the ante with their latest ads, both released today. Reid's ad rehashes Angle statements about armed voter insurrections, Scientology for prisoners and how a teenage rape victim shouldn't be able to have an abortion. Angle's ad describes a "tragic love story" featuring Reid, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Obama.
* The conservative American Action Network is out with nine new Midwestern House polls, which show Republicans leading five House Democrats: Reps. Leonard Boswell (Iowa), Mark Schauer (Mich.), Mary Jo Kilroy (Ohio), John Boccieri (Ohio) and Steve Kagen (Wis.). Reps. Joe Donnelly (Ind.) Betty Sutton (Ohio) and Steve Driehaus (Ohio) are statistically tied, and Rep. Russ Carnahan (Mo.) leads by 16.
* Sen. Michael Bennet (D) is up with a hard-hitting first general election ad in the Colorado Senate race. It features clips of Weld County prosecutor Ken Buck (R) questioning the constitutionality of Social Security, the Department of Education and federal student loans, and (like the Reid ad) saying he doesn't believe in abortion for rape and incest victims.
* A dead wrestler's father is taking aim at Connecticut Senate candidate and former World Wrestling Entertainment CEO Linda McMahon (R).
WHAT YOU SHOULDN'T MISS
* Illinois state Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias (D) and Rep. Mark Kirk (R) will hold a Senate debate on NBCs "Meet the Press" on Oct. 10.
* Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Chris Van Hollen (Md.) will hold a press conference at the National Press Club on Friday at 10 a.m.
* Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) has been added to the list of speakers at FreedomWorks' "Take Back America" rally on Friday.
* Friday's Fix features two things even better than a Van Hollen press conference or a Bachmann speech: 1) Our new Line of the top 15 governor's races, and 2) a "Live Fix" chat at 11 a.m. with some guy named Chris Cillizza.
THE FIX MIX
With Felicia Sonmez and Aaron Blake
| August 26, 2010; 5:17 PM ET
Categories: Afternoon Fix
Save & Share: Previous: "Worst Week in Washington": The nominations!
Next: Van Hollen to hit Republicans for 'destructive' agenda