Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
About Chris Cillizza  |  On Twitter: The Fix and The Hyper Fix  |  On Facebook  |  On YouTube  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed

2008: The Case for Rudy Giuliani

Every month or so, The Fix plans to focus on a potential presidential candidate, making the case for and against his or her candidacy.

Rudolph Giuliani
Rudy Giuliani and wife Judith at the 6th Annual Gotham Magazine Gala on February 6, 2006, in New York City (Getty Images)

The second subject is former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R). Unlike many of the other Republicans contemplating a 2008 bid, Giuliani has not been a regular visitor to early caucus and primary states; he was also the lone top-tier GOP candidate not in attendance at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in Memphis this past weekend.

Although Giuliani has not run a conventional campaign for president to date, that does not mean he has been low-profile. He has traveled the country making speeches and raising money for Republican candidates since he left the mayor's office in 2002. He's planning to raise money for the National Republican Senatorial Committee at an event scheduled for early summer.

And those who know Giuliani best -- New Yorkers -- believe he has the stuff to be president. In an independent poll released earlier this month, 59 percent of registered voters in New York said he had an "excellent" or "good" chance of being elected president. Contrast that with 52 percent who said Sen. Clinton had either an "excellent" or "good" chance of winning the White House while only 27 percent gave that same rating to outgoing New York Gov. George Pataki. The survey was conducted by Blum & Weprin Associates for Newsday/NY1.

Giuliani has refused to rule out a race, saying as recently as last fall that "it's very far off and to make a decision like that is a couple years away."

Should he run, he has a huge name identification advantage. Look at any national or state poll featuring a hypothetical 2008 Republican primary matchup and you will find Giuliani in either first or second place -- either slightly ahead of or slightly behind Sen. John McCain (Ariz.).

For the most part, these polls are simply name identification tests. But that doesn't mean they should be disregarded. What these surveys show is that not only is Giuliani known by nearly every voter in the country but -- for the most part -- those same people are favorably disposed toward Hizzoner.

Take a recent Quinnipiac University poll that sought to test voters' feelings toward 2008 presidential candidates. Respondents were asked to rate a series of individuals from 0 (cold feelings) to 100 (very warm feelings).

Giuliani led the pack with a 64 percent overall rating, a total that included a 73 percent score among Republicans and a 58 percent score among Democrats. The warm feelings toward Giuliani were consistent across the country in red and blue states, as well as "purple" states where he received a uniform 64 percent rating. (For the purposes of the Quinnipiac survey, the purple states included were Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.)

McCain and Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) tied for second in the warm feelings survey with 60 percent each. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) received a 50 percent rating on the Quinnipiac thermometer (25 percent among Republicans, 73 percent among Democrats), while President George W. Bush came in at 44 percent (75 percent among Republicans, 24 percent among Democrats.)

What does this thermometer poll tell us about Giuliani? First, he continues to bask in the glow of his handling of the aftermath of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on New York City. Giuliani was venerated as an American hero by Republicans and Democrats alike for his 9/11 leadership, and that good will has yet to wear off.

The second argument in favor of a Giuliani bid is his fundraising capacity. Giuliani hails from one of the largest donor states in the country, and even though he would have to share the Empire State fundraising field with Pataki, who is mulling a 2008 bid, as well as Hillary Clinton (the 2008 Democratic frontrunner), there should still be plenty of money to go around.

And like Hillary Clinton, Giuliani's fundraising reach extends well beyond just New York. Since Sept. 11, he has been one of the biggest financial draws for Republican candidates across the country. This month he'll travel to Pennsylvania to raise campaign cash for embattled Sen. Rick Santorum (R) and New Jersey to collect contributions for Rep. Mike Ferguson (R). Giuliani will be in Michigan in May for a fundraiser to benefit Amway heir Dick DeVos, the GOP nominee against Gov. Jennifer Granholm (D).

Giuliani has also shown an ability to raise big dollars in the context of a political campaign. During his abbreviated race against Clinton for his home state's open Senate seat in 2000, Giuliani raised $25 million. Of that, roughly $2 million remains, money could be transferred to a presidential bid.

The X-factor in a Giuliani bid is the issue climate in 2007 and 2008. If homeland security emerges as a primary concern of voters, Giuliani is well positioned to be the candidate with the life experience to allay voters' fears and worries. If the war in Iraq and tensions with Iran are still front and center in the minds of Americans, Giuliani may struggle somewhat as he has next-to-no first-hand experience with foreign policy.

Thursday: The case against Giuliani.

See The Fix's case for and against Al Gore.

By Chris Cillizza  |  March 15, 2006; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Eye on 2008  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Talking Up Gore in '08
Next: CA-24: Gallegly Reverses Retirement Decision

Comments

09-11 Tribute in Louisiana

Ribbons of Remembrance

On Monday, September 11th, 2006, at 5:15 p.m., a ceremony honoring the 3000+ victims of the tragic events of 09-11-01 will be held at the Shreveport Police and Firefighters Memorial Amphitheater in Shreveport, Louisiana, according to Brian Crawford, Assistant to the Chief of the Shreveport Fire Department. The Shreveport Fire Department is coordinating participation in this service with area uniformed service agencies. In addition to a keynote address by Fire Chief Kelvin Cochran, music will be provided by the Centenary College Choir and honor guards from uniformed service organizations will present the colors.

Unique to this area's ceremony will be an installation at the Police and Firefighters Memorial site of 3,000 "Ribbons of Remembrance." Volunteers from the congregation of St. Paul's Episcopal Church have cut and laminated strips of paper on which are written the names of each individual victim of 09-11. According to Dr. Lucienne Simon - calligrapher and coordinator of the ribbon installation - "the reflection of the sun on the ribbons and movement of breezes will provide a kinetic presence that evokes breath and life. Like the Vietnam Memorial which features the name of each casualty of the Vietnam War, this installation pays tribute to each person who died five years ago in New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington, D.C." Simon coordinated similar installations at the University of Southern Mississippi in 2001 and in Hammond, Louisiana, in 2002. According to Dr. Simon, one of the victims - Flight 93 stewardess Sara Low - was a high school classmate of her two daughters.

On Sunday, September 10th, Father Guido Verbeck will bless the ribbons at the 10:30 service of St. Paul's Episcopal Church. The public is cordially invited to attend both the blessing of the ribbons and the memorial service on Monday, September 11th.

Brian Crawford
Assistant to the Fire Chief
City of Shreveport Fire Department
brian.crawford@ci.shreveport.la.us

Posted by: Lucienne Simon | September 5, 2006 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Giuliani and Powell. Either one would win in a landslide. We can only hope that one of them decides to go for it in 2008. Living Overseas has become unbearable as far as being an American. Even the Brits hate us.

Posted by: Overseas | April 27, 2006 7:00 AM | Report abuse

google pr main

Posted by: cwfhknh@microsoft.com | April 15, 2006 8:58 AM | Report abuse

hello! http://www.areaseo.com/contacts/ google pr. SE marketing, High Rankings, SEO consultant. From google pr .

Posted by: google pr main | April 15, 2006 8:58 AM | Report abuse

You libs are born losers. Guiliani and Rice is a winning ticket.

Posted by: Jimboe | March 23, 2006 11:48 PM | Report abuse

You libs are born losers. Guiliani and Rice is a winning ticket.

Posted by: Jimboe | March 23, 2006 11:47 PM | Report abuse

This guy was about to be tossed out on his ear before 911. He and Bush hit the jackpot when 911 happened. All they both did was run their mouths and the firemen did the work and gave up their lives doing what they were hired for. Guiliani ran his mouth so much he went aroung collecting awards for what our firemen and police did. Bush did real good when he attacked B. Ladin but, like a kid he had to show up his dear old dad and go in Iraq. That Texan has a real problem now. It's just like the saying goes " you can always tell a Texan, you just can't never tell him nothing. '

Posted by: D. Daigle | March 21, 2006 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Less we forget Guiliani was the one American that most benefited from 911. If you remember just before 911 the papers was full of Guiliani's affair with his mistress that he tried to bring into the Mayor's Mansion. 911 wiped all that off the front page.

Posted by: PghRich | March 19, 2006 1:02 AM | Report abuse

The term "conservative" shares its Latin roots with the words "conservation" and "conservationist". Hmmm. That's strange. It appears that when the adjective "conservative" morphed into the noun "conservative", the two words became antonyms.

Incidentally, as an old time Republican (read that "Grand old Party - GOP"), I believe in: (1) balancing budgets, (2) refraining from war when diplomacy can achieve the necessary results, (3) defending the right to privacy and free speech, (4) supporting the right to trial by jury with legal representation, (5) respect for the beliefs of others, and (6) maintaining the rights of the sovereign states to enact their own legislation regarding marriage (gay AND straight) and murder (before AND after birth).

Incidentally, I've heard some upright U.S. citizens state that it's OK to hold non-American citizens in detention camps (read that prisons) without benefit of legal council and/or the possibility of a jury trial. Recall that it was John Adams who defended the British soldiers who were tried for planning and executing the Boston massacure. In so doing, he established the precident that even those presumed to be guilty are entitled to legal counsel....and the British weren't American citizens any more than the Iraqis and Saudis are today.

Yes, I'm pretty angry. The so-called "conservatives" in our political arena today have hijacked my party, my country, and my religion...and I want them back.

Posted by: Linda B. Murphy | March 18, 2006 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I have really enjoyed the comments here.They were really informing.
I would like to say that I find the hatred of Hillary Clinton very disturbing. The woman has done nothing to any of you. She carries herself with dignity and seklf control. As an elder person I have seen Golda Meir lead Israel and Margaret Thatcher and Indira Ghandi lead their countries. What other woman in this country has as much experience in foreign policy or domestic issues as Senator Clinton. Even tho she is criticized soundly by the Republicans and those who are extremely jealous of her, she is loved and respected by our allies overseas.
Also, I have listened to Gore's speeches and Kerry's too, these men can run rings around that jerk in the White House.
As for Guiliani, I love those letters from the anti G crowd.
Condi Rice is an amateur what has she done
of any importance? She hasn't brought any of our allies back to help in Iraq, in fact they don't hesitate to refuse her.
Republicans are desperate this time around.

Posted by: MzLib | March 17, 2006 2:57 PM | Report abuse

So, when will "NONE OF THE ABOVE" be required on ALL ballots?

ANYone but a Republican. Noticed how inept they are when running any sort of FEDERAL GOVERNMENT BUSINESS? If you were a stockholder in ENRON, you wouldn't find a more inept buncha Mayberry Mafia bumpkins.

Taxpayers ARE stockholders in US, Inc.

Posted by: mommadona | March 17, 2006 2:34 PM | Report abuse

You are really not in touch with the mainstrean citizens of the USA. With the rage against the credit card companies and the insurance Industry, as well as telecom, my sleeper candidate is Spitzer.

You can be a pretty boy on TV, but time in and time out, he secures his position in history by being historically consumer driven. The Dr Rice is a sweet woman, but I watched her before the Senate, and the bill of goods she's had to sell for the present administration does not make her a lovable candidate.

I see the next batch of leaders coming before the people in a single issue campaign. There hasn't been the exitement for a candidate since Reagan.I was a precinct worker then, and 92% of my Republicans in that precinct went to the polls and voted.

Posted by: Peggy Arvanitas | March 17, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey vivabush,

Gore as a journalist in Vietnam placed him in
much more danger than Bush was in, defending the USA against a Mexican cross border attack.
Many journalists died in Vietnam and in Iraq.

Posted by: oryanch | March 17, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

The quickest way to defeat Giuliani in a Republican nomination fight is for any opponent to release (in Iowa or South Carolina) images of Guliani in drag, dressed as a woman which he did quite often in NYC as mayor. Yes, he is a bona fide girlyman of sorts.
Or they could remind folks (and deny having anything to do with it) that for a time he lived with a gay couple after one of his many divorces.
So much for family values.
Even more distasteful to the GOP party faithful than his support for abortion or gay marriage are his thoughts on gun control. Seriously, how can anyone seriously discuss Giuliani as a GOP presidential candidate?

Posted by: oryanch | March 17, 2006 1:32 PM | Report abuse

VivaBush:
It is very telling to all of us when you directly quote Spiro Agnew, convisted criminal. Resigned from VP and lived a life of shame thereafter.

Posted by: BushIsCriminal | March 17, 2006 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Rice for President? I'd rather have it for breakfast. Smart yes. Political no. I encourage you right-wingers to stay the course and stay with the folks who put you were you are today. Now let me see, how's that been working for you and the country?

Posted by: nabluestate | March 17, 2006 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Guiliani may not be the top candidate today but he is not far behind from resurfacing as a strong candidate. However, we have to consider the fact that the best republican candidate at this moment is quite and resides in the State Department. With an impecable record and demonstrating her strong abilities of leadership, management, superb knowledge of foreign policy, I would definitely like to see a race between Sen Clinton and Sec of State Rice. I would definitely vote for Rice for President, with a close second choice of Guiliani or McCain. Actually, here is the winning ticket: Rice/Guiliani.

Posted by: P. Maldonado | March 17, 2006 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Rudy is a champion of self promotion. Perfectly qualified to follow George W's Act. Security genius placing his emergency bunker, full of diesel fuel, at #7 WTC after the first attack. So they would be close to the second. They were, proving his foresight.

And his shrewd eye for talent around him. Picked his chauffeur to run the NYPD, what a meritocracy he ran, and then advised GWB to make him (Kerik) homeland security capo.

An intolerant bigotry rounds out his flawless qualifications to run the party of Lincoln. His press conferences will be refreshing after GWB's eight year of AWOL from unscripted confrontation. He will give the gentle people of the press a hearty fuck you in their fucking faces.

Posted by: Nicolo Macchiavelli | March 16, 2006 7:59 PM | Report abuse

As a Democrat, I would feel blessed if Guiliani was the GOP's nomination for president...I will vote Dem. in 2008 but Republicans will probably win the election (they have a platform) and if I could hope for any Republican I'd hope for him-John McCain isn't as moderate as we all thought.

Posted by: John White | March 16, 2006 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Ohio Guy and Judge Crater

Ming -

Obviously, you are living in a world of make believe created by the Republicans. Your saying tax and spending cuts? Yeah, TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH AND SPENDING CUTS THAT WILL PRIMARILY AFFECT THE POOR. Is that what we want? Ohio Guy is right, George Bush and the Republicans inherited a surplus, thanks to Bill Clinton and the Democrats, and they turned it into deficits in a blink of an eye. To say that liberals impose their beliefs on you is totally stupid when in fact you conservatives are now aiming to change legislation that will restrict my right to make my own choices in life.

Ming, wake up to this grim reality. A reality caused by your beloved conservatives and Republicans.

Posted by: joefer | March 16, 2006 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I would vote for Rudy Guiliani, since I worked for him. I especially liked his policy that everyman should have the right to bring his mistress home, and throw out his old wife and kid. That kid was a brad anyway. And his wife, gave up television career for him, but she wasn't good where it really counted. He has Clintonesque qualities. Bill (that is) had a young intern in his office for special assignments. Rudy had his press secretary, and another city commissioner, for special assignments. I think the Evangelica Right wing will find these character flaws forgiven, if not forgivable.

Yea I like Rudy, a stud from NYC, we're not just Liberals up here, we read the Bible differently. Hooray for Rudy. His Campaign slogan will be "Two Chicks for Everyman." What straight guy could resist that? Go Rudy, run against Hillary, I would like to see the angst in the heart of all the Evangelicals, choosing from the Devil or His Mate.

Posted by: Patfigny | March 16, 2006 5:20 PM | Report abuse

To Jon of the "audultery" comment (Clinton vs. Guiliani): learn to spell before you use the A word.

Posted by: mgbrown | March 16, 2006 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Rudi has made a cottage industry our of the tragic events of 9/11. Presiding as Mayor of New York for only 3 months after 9/11 does not make you an expert on anti-terrorism although Rudi has made a bundle selling himself as such. Someone who has profited from the death of 3,000Americans is not someone I would want as President.

Posted by: A NEW YORKER | March 16, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Rudy benefits fr goodwill as he did a great job helping NYC heal emotionally. But let's remember, he was a bully of a mayor (not that it didn't serve well at times... props for running down the crime rate). No credentials on defense or homeland security. And he left office before rebuilding Lower Manhattan.

Jim C: Explain how Evan Bayh is "ANY northeast or west coast liberal of either party." Two-term governor and sitting senator of RED Indiana. Not that we remember him for his convention keynote for Clinton... snooze... but this guy can connect just as well as Warner and has better credentials.

Posted by: EmJay | March 16, 2006 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember that Guiliani's favorable rating before 9/11 was in 20's. That is worse than Bush today. There was a reason for that rating. I also agree with those who say Guiliani will never be supported by the religious right.

Posted by: TnJim in PA | March 16, 2006 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Ming: you should always at least scan the posts above before you say something that has already been flatly contradicted. Here, I'll make it easy for you: "BTW, today Congressional Republicans push to increase the debt ceiling while saying idiotic things like "well, um, golly, this just has to be done, do-dee-do-dee-do." Do you agree? This is where the metal meets the road and 'conservatism' becomes more than just an easy label."

Your response?

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | March 16, 2006 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Ming -

Liberals are not in power, so even if they wanted to 'tax and spend', they couldn't.
Educate yourself before you say something stupid.

REPUBLICANS are in power right now and are responsible for our fiscal situation. The last time we had a democratic president, we had a SURPLUS. For you republicans who don't know what that word means, that's when you're actually making more money than you're spending. Shocking, I know, but it is possible.

It's not 'tax and spend liberals' that are running up our bebt it's-
'BORROW AND SPEND CONSERVATIVES'!

Posted by: Ohio guy | March 16, 2006 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Guilani? Are you DC people that much in denial?

At this point, even the planned air bombing of Iran in July by Bush won't save the GOP.

Posted by: Will in Seattle | March 16, 2006 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Women will not vote for Guiliani.

Posted by: Kate | March 16, 2006 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I am amazed at the number of hypocrits that are still bashing Bill Clinton but look right past Guiliani's immoral past. 9/11 save both he and Bush and a trained monkey could have done what both did in the aftermath. Lot's of photo opportunities and glad handing, and flag waving which appeals without question to most of the people caught up in "The Dummying Down" of this great country. I would also mention Guiliani's administration was one of the most racist in recent history. He pretty much declared open season on minorities by law enforcement shooting first and worrying about probable cause later. All that said he would be miles ahead of Bush and Chaney.

Posted by: Terry Greene | March 16, 2006 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Rudy Guiliani as President? You have got to be kidding (I don't mean the writer.) He has capitalized on his 'actions' of 9/11 for way too long. Any mayor of New York would have done exactly the same thing. But, he got the book deal and the good press.

The Republicans are always complaining about the candidates of the East, how much more East can you get than New YOrk? Get real people! Tom Ontis, CA

Posted by: Tom Ontis | March 16, 2006 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Joefer said: "Hey Republicans, don't impose on me what you beleive and I won't impose on you mine". The fact of the matter is -- liberals have imposed their believe on us every day by tax and spend. Cut the tax and cut the spending, and we will leave our own lives our separate ways.

Posted by: Ming | March 16, 2006 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Rudi proposed Bernie Kerick(?) an ex NY police commisioner to be head of Homeland Security to King George who bought the idea. Problem was that good old Bernie was facing some very serious allegations about his usage of funds meant for the 9/11 clean-up, trysts with gals in an apartment which the city was paying for, appointments of some "connected" guys, etc. Bernie at first was staunchly defended by Rudi but Bernie had to fold his tent and disappear. Bernie's missteps were committed while he was working for Rudi. Secondly, Rudi arranged for "his" mayoralty papers to be delivered out of the control of the city when he left office. This was the first time some mayor felt that he and not the city had primary rights to city papers. This was challenged but the new Rep mayor let him get away with it. Just like King Bush did with "his" papers as governor. No one who hides papers deserves anybody's trust. What does he have to hide? We can ask Bernie. Thirdly, Rudi did good after 9/11 but he already received a knighthood in England. But lets face it--what Rudi did is as nothing when compared to the cops and firemen who died, were injured, or risked death/injury.I remember that Rudi briefly considered changing the law to permit himself to take another term as mayor or to extend his term. He found out there was insufficient support for that grandstanding. Rudi is Mr Ego and he had terrible relationships with minorities in Ny. They were glad to see his departure after those brutal actions by cops against black people which Rudi defended.He is a right wing nutter who supports the Iraq war and the Patriot Act and would offer a big ego and arrogance to the country, not to mention an abrasive personality.

Posted by: Bill | March 16, 2006 11:29 AM | Report abuse

forgot to stick this link in above post - funny site about chickenhawk republicans.

http://www.nhgazette.com/news/chickenhawks/politicans_platoon/

Posted by: Ohio guy | March 16, 2006 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Looking at The FIX today, Rudy is being viewed as a possible contender for 2008,
1) not running a conventional campaign
2) traveling across the nation speaking
3) high name ID
4) knowlege about foreign policy

DID Chris Cilleezza see that Rudy only got 15 votes in the Memphis Republican straw poll? No one was in Memphis to promote him, no stickers on any delegate. On the other hand, does the Wash Post reporter/blooger understand those 4 points can also be used to describe another contender for 2008? The group promoting Condi Rice was here in Memphis, and she was a write-in candidate who got 32 votes. They have been flying across the nation to attend Republican events and getting Condi considered in the minds of many Republican activists and donors.

Condi is the voice of President Bush regarding foreign policy. The Condi 2008 group is running one of the most unconventional campaigns in over 50 years, and Condi has maintained 20% support in national polls for the past year. Could Condi be our next VP ( if Cheney resigned in 2007) and would the Republicans accept her as the "heir apparent" for 2008?

Posted by: Diane | March 16, 2006 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Hahahahahahahahahaha.....

Wow. Every time I hear some delusional republican go on a rant about George W. Bush's "military service" I laugh for about 10 minutes.

Using your rich daddy's influence and power to get into the "champaigne unit" of the texas air national gaurd is not military service, especailly when you are AWOL most of the time. It's snobby elitism and a perfect example of how the upper-crust elite do not share equally in the defense of this country, but they are the same people who send others off to die in the blink of an eye. W has never served his country - the only way he could ever serve his country would be to step down as president and let someone with a shred of competence take over.

Al Gore was IN Vietnam unlike W and his spoiled friends who hid in air gaurd units "protecting" Lubbock from Chalie.

I agree with you Larry - neocon fantasy land IS a strange place.

Posted by: Ohio guy | March 16, 2006 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I don't see Guilliani or Clinton getting either party's nomination. I'm looking at an intriguing candidate by the name of Mark Warner for the Dems. Former governor of a red state from below the Mason-Dixon line, a highly popular out-going governor I might add, which aided now Gov. Tim Kaine (D)immensely, and Warner is a centrist Dem to boot. The Dems need to get solid footing (the middle ground) before thinking about a more liberal agenda. Let's get some work done. Build trust, show accomplishment. The rest will come.

Name recognition across the board for Warner...not yet. But who saw Bill Clinton coming out of the pack in 92? And while Hilary can raise the bread and has the name game sewed up...that name carries a lot of weight that may drag her down more than it helps. Besides, I'm over mining the field of aspiring Senators for would be candidates and I know that a lot of my Democratic friends are uneasy about seeing the junior NY senator's name on the ballot in 08. The exception to the Senator rule...McCain...I think he may be the GOP's guy.

Posted by: Shaun | March 16, 2006 10:53 AM | Report abuse

One of Rudy's previous wives was his second cousin. He said he didn't know. Didn't he ever attend a family function?

Posted by: Fraud | March 16, 2006 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Rudy divorced his wife at a press conference in the driveway at City Hall. He then wanted his wife and children to leave Gracie Mansion, the Mayor's home, so he could have his mistress spend one night in the house with him while he was still Mayor. Women shouldn't forget.

Posted by: NoWay | March 16, 2006 10:37 AM | Report abuse

VBOH: "nattering nabobs of negativism" firmly looks backwards!

BTW, today Congressional Republicans push to increase the debt ceiling while saying idiotic things like "well, um, golly, this just has to be done, do-dee-do-dee-do." Do you agree? This is where the metal meets the road and 'conservatism' becomes more than just an easy label.

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | March 16, 2006 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Sandra: Careful with the "Anybody but Hillary" stance. It certainly didn't work in '04 when Dems were screaming "Anybody but Bush."

Posted by: Beeyawn | March 16, 2006 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"It needs a foward-thinking Democrat...,
--Big Dave

That is an oxymoron, there is no such thing,only nattering nabobs of negativism.

Posted by: vivabush04OH | March 16, 2006 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Chris: Your "pro" column on Giuliani is a total misreading of the man. As a native New Yorker and one who has at least a second hend dealing with the man and his machinations, Giuliani has one fatal flaw in his Presidential makeup. He cannot work with a bureaucracy unless he is in charge. He gives the orders, he doesn't take suggestions, abhors criticism and stifles dissent. It is psychologically impossible for him to share credit. He perceived his first Police Commissioner Bratton to be a threat after Bratton conceived the crime prevention program that Giuliani adopted as his own. He further responded by not extending Bratton's term of office. In his ambitious quest for the DA's post he had a well known "rivalry" with Tom Puccio. His tenure as Mayor would have been graded as fair to good had not 9/11 come along. In that crisis his major talents were given full play because New York City needed someone to take charge and lead the city out of potential chaos. Giuliani was superb in that role and deserves every kudo he received. But that is as far as it goes. The country now needs a unifier not a divider. It needs a Chief Executive who will put this country together, its infrastructure, its environment; its education and its healthcare. It needs a forward-thinking Democrat a Twenty-First Century Roosevelt to take America back into the sunlight. Right now in scanning the horizon I don't see any...maybe Edwards, maybe Clinton? Chris, any suggestions?

Posted by: Big Dave | March 16, 2006 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Anybody but Hillary!

Rudy Guilliani is lacking in many important credentials, but his 9/11 charisma shines through the fog of his shortcomings.

Posted by: Sandra Lee | March 16, 2006 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't believe that ANY northeast or west coast liberal of either party can win the presidency, whether it be Hillary Clinton, Evan Bayh, Rudy Giuliani or George Pataki. Even if somehow they do, they likely won't have enough broad-based support to form an effective administration. Time for Democrats to stop letting the likes of Ted Kennedy and Nancy Pelosi [and Alec Baldwin, Barbra Streisand and Michael Moore] carry the flag, and get behind Bill Richardson. Better yet, Mark Warner. If not, to quote George LOPEZ: "Why you crying?"

Posted by: Jim Cunningham | March 16, 2006 9:41 AM | Report abuse

VB -- Gore was a journalist IN Vietnam. Fly-boy W was certainly out of uniform during the months and months he was effectively AWOL. Clinton got a deferment -- at the time, he had much less political clout than W, whose daddy pulled the strings for a safe berth for his first-born namesake.

You're on very shaky ground comparing the military service of Democrats with Republicans. Care to talk about Cheney's well-timed baby or three (or is it five?) deferments? And if memory serves, Rudy G never saw a uniform either.

Posted by: Susan | March 16, 2006 9:38 AM | Report abuse

neocon fantasy land is a strange place. Bush was AWOL from National Gaurd out drinking and true americans know it. Why didnt he volunteer for duty in Nam? Oh wait coward chickenhawks never fight in war they just start them.

Posted by: Larry | March 16, 2006 9:36 AM | Report abuse

In the " Case of Rudy Giuliani " is says he has experience safe-guarding the US Homeland. But to my knowledge Rudy Giuliani has little experience with national defense and homeland security. WHat he has experience in is - rebuilding a city after a diaster. These are two different subject areas.

If the question is - who in america is best suited to rebuilding a community after a tragic event? Rudy wins hands down. I will be the first person to contribute to Rudy' camapign for mayor of New Orleans or Tsar of the building of that city.

If the question is - who in america has experience protecting us from terrorist and foreign invaders - I don't know who that person is; but I don't think Rudy Giuliani's resume is full of experience in that area.

So why do you people in the media keep saying he has this experience?

Posted by: Tom | March 16, 2006 9:34 AM | Report abuse

brog: I respectfully disagree with your post: Rudy orders a chardonnay at the barbeque. Just look at the picture at the top of this page. While you will apparently find women falling out of their dresses, anyone who goes to the "Gotham Magazine Gala" probably won't find a Bud anywhere in the room. Lots of fruity drinks to match the guest list (hint, hint).

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | March 16, 2006 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Obviously most of you missed that un hinged Gore speech in January 2004 in which he ranted that President Bush "...he betrayed our country, he played on our fears..." And to this is what I was alluding.
If Giuliani were the candidate, some of us conservatives WOULD support him and that is my answer to the opening question.

BTW, Gore was a journalist during Vietnam, W was in uniform in the Air National Guard and was a qualified pilot. Clinton dodged the draft and gave no military service to his country.

Posted by: vivabush04OH | March 16, 2006 9:07 AM | Report abuse

While it is unhealthy, democratically speaking, to obsess about 2008 in 2006, those who dismiss Guiliani's chances miss the mark. Adultery? Gee, I can't think of an example of a man committing adultery and then getting ele--, oh, wait a minute. And, yes, he's not a Republican by present Republican standards (Arlen Specter, come on over), but the red, really purple, states will like him because he's a would-be tough guy and they think he orders Bud at the barbecue rather than, say, Sierra Nevada. Even the most ardent conservatives criticize Bush's speaking abilities, and would embrace Guiliani's artful tongue. Besides, if he snuffs out the lead dog running to the right of him, who else will the GOPers embrace when they reach South Carolina?

Posted by: brog | March 16, 2006 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Here's the latest poll by NBC News/Wall Street Journal (March 15, 2006).

GWB Job Approval
approve 37%
Disapprove 58%

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11843383/

Giuliani is a Washington outsider, McCain and Frist are insiders and apt to be affected by Bush's poll numbers.

Posted by: Jamal | March 15, 2006 11:46 PM | Report abuse

A Giuliani candidacy is too ridiculous even to think about.

This guy was kissing his mistress on national television while still married to his poor ex-wife when he rang in the 2002 New Year at Times Square. This guy flaunted it, and people think he has a prayer of getting the nomination?

Forget it.

Posted by: Susan Nunes | March 15, 2006 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope to see a Democrat sitting in the Oval Office in 2008, preferrably Hillary Clinton. But if I a Republican will win the presidency in 2008, the least I can hope is that his name is Rudy Guiliani. I don't necessarily like the guy and I believe that his best claim to fame was his handling of the 9-11 attacks (which I think was great). I'm pro-choice, I beleive in equal rights for all individuals regardless of their sexual orientation. Guiliani maybe a Republican but we agree on these issues. Of course he has other beliefs which I don't agree on but among all Republicans, I beleive he is the less hypocrite for he is not afraid to take an opposing stand or opinion from his party. A party who thinks they have the monopoly of the right and proper American values. Hey Republicans, don't impose on me what you beleive and I won't impose on you mine. We can agree to disagree. But don't take away my right to make my own choices. It's time for you to lose and we will make sure of that

Posted by: joefer | March 15, 2006 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Forget about Rudy G. - neither party will nominate him and the last time an independent was elected President was at the beginning with G. Washington. The last time a third party candidate was elected was Abraham Lincols, and, remember the Civil War is in Iraq, not here. If Rudy and MeCain are still standing at the GOP convention in '08 the "south may rise again " and the rebellion will be televised live from the convention floor.

Posted by: Peter L. | March 15, 2006 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I find it interesting that Rudy v. Hillary was the likely match up for the New York Senate seat a few years back and that we may actually see them square off for President. If memory serves, though, he was looking weak in that race.

Posted by: Charlie | March 15, 2006 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Gore was in combat where was Bush? Gore won pop vote by 600000 votes. American people chose Gore rejected Bush. Reps are so out numbered they cannot win without cheating. November is coming quick and the GOP is gone for many years polls do not lie.Unless Reps cheat again...

Posted by: Larry | March 15, 2006 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Vivabush04: Please enlighten the rest of us as to how Gore betrayed his country? Right after that comment you say "Light up another one." Atre we the ones who are high? To me, Gore "betraying his Country" is about as far fetched as you can get. Draft dodging? Nope! Illegal use of power while in office? Nope! Conspiring with the enemy?(reference Richard Nixon and the North VietNamese in 1968) Not that we know of.

Don't come back with unsubstantiated Internet rumors. If you're going to character assassinate, have something that can be legitimately checked.

Posted by: Nor'Easter | March 15, 2006 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Rudy has no chance with the religious right wing facists running the Rep party. Is the massive defeat coming the GOPs way frightening you vivabush? It sounds like you are cracking up. Neocon fantasy land is soon ending you will have to join us true americans

Posted by: Larry | March 15, 2006 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Jon: "Clinton vs Giuliani. Which one is the real expert on audultry?"

Is that committing it or being a victim of it?

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | March 15, 2006 5:03 PM | Report abuse

First he has to be installed as VP, which is scheduled for just after the mid-terms. Then we can box him around for a while and bounce him and all the rest of the Republican Party out of DC. Bye Y'all...

Posted by: Jim in Florida | March 15, 2006 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Guilani mismanaged the city. Crime was reduced thanks the efforts of his first police commissioner whom he was jealous of. The city's finances were miserably managed and Bloomberg inherited a mess. Bloomberg has been a far superior mayor. Guilani benefited from the symbolic glow of unity following 9/11 as Bush did.

http://www.intrepidliberaljournal.blogspot.com

Posted by: Intrepid Liberal | March 15, 2006 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Guiliano has no chance to win the R nomination for president. Do you honestly think that a guy who had a mistress, has gay people as his friends and doesn't hide it, and is pro-choice, will ever be supported by the Christian right nut cases from red states???? Plus he's from the northeast and people in the south with Confederate flags flying from their pickup trucks are more likely to vote for anyone else, except for maybe Pataki. Heck, even Romney, Mormon from MA, has a better shot.

Posted by: VA-dem | March 15, 2006 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Now wouldn't that make an interesting race-
Clinton vs Giuliani. Which one is the real expert on audultry?

Posted by: Jon | March 15, 2006 4:39 PM | Report abuse

VBOH: now, now, VB you're speaking for a lot of people who WILL care about RG's infidelities etc. I hate to defend these people's sensitivities but I know them too well. They still rail against JFK 40+ years after his infidelities.

They might not vote Democratic but they can STAY HOME on election day. You know better than to discount voter apathy since you have to work so hard to overcome it.

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | March 15, 2006 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Vivabush,

Your mother betrayed this country, and she wears army boots.

Posted by: vivabushisadope | March 15, 2006 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Correction.
I meant to say that Rudy is the default candidate, not McCain. McCain has the best shot at winning the GOP nomination and the presidency.

The question was posed as to whether so-called far-right GOPs would vote for Rudy and I answered Hell Yes!
You think we'd vote for Feingold, Hil, "He Betrayed his Country!" Gore?
Light up another one.

Posted by: vivabush04OH | March 15, 2006 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I think very little of Rudy. As bad as this sounds, besides Bush, who else has benefited the most from 9/11?

Both guys have used 9/11 as their personal power trip whether it be in cash (Rudy) or power and control (Bush).

Posted by: Anonymous | March 15, 2006 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Rudy's slogan will be: "Hey, I married my mistress!"

Where will all the family values repugs be then -- supporting and voting for a guy who openly cheats on his wife.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 15, 2006 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Way to go, blind party loyalty.

Posted by: Hideous MoNsTeR | March 15, 2006 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I'd vote for Rudy before I let any Dem get into the WH.

Mcain is the default candidate in the case that no one wins the primaries and the convention is deadlocked. Possible but not likely.

VivaMcCain08OH

Posted by: vivabush04OH | March 15, 2006 4:19 PM | Report abuse

What are the right-wingers going to do when they find out that he's another Nelson Rockefeller? That he'd be probably a Moderate Democrat in many "Red" states.

Posted by: Nor'Easter | March 15, 2006 4:10 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company