A Contrast in Visions

The three frontrunners used a question about how to convince voters that Republicans can be trusted with the economy to offer their larger philosophical visions.

Romney, not surprisingly, was the most upbeat of the trio. "Our future is going to be even brighter than our past," he said. "I am entirely convinced of that.

Giuliani was similarly optimistic -- offering his "vision of a robust, strong America" -- and offered a defense of the need to not let government get in the way of American ingenuity. "The possibilities for America in this global economy are endless if we don't put a lid on ourselves," he said.

Thompson was by far the most pessimistic (his aides would undoubtedly call that "honesty"). "We need to tell the American people the truth," Thompson said. "I don't think anybody believes anything coming out of Washington anymore."

By Chris Cillizza  |  October 9, 2007; 5:22 PM ET
Categories:  Eye on 2008
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Thompson KNOWS Andy Griffith
Next: Thompson the Tone Setter

Comments

Why are people Rush-bashing on posts that have nothing to do with RL?

Posted by: Lcs210 | October 10, 2007 12:45 AM | Report abuse

MikeB: I gather you mean the Clintons padding their pockets. How many pockets have been padded in the last 7 years and by whom? If I remember correctly, the economy under Clinton was very robust. I don't remember their friends getting as much as say,Bushco pals. You're just frightened that Hillary is going to do a great job and prove you wrong. All hearsay and innuendos' from the neo-clown machine is what your type spew everyday on here. When are you going to see that the people are tired of the lies and fear mongering.
We/they see what you really are and are going to change it,sadly,after 15 more months of hell though.
Drink that kool-aid while you still can mike.
Your time is up!

Posted by: jime | October 9, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Once you get past the bile from the Clinton crowd, there are apparently at least two Republican's that get "it". American working men and women are not participating in the globalization free for all. That would be Thompson and Huckabee. Either, in a general election, could beat Clinton. Now, if the brain dead Democrats dump the Clinton candidacy being force fed them by self serving swine like Schumer and Kennedy, they just might pick a genuine polulist like Edwards or Obama or, too much to hope for, Kuchinich. Then, just maybe this election would mean something and the Amercian people would have a choice between honest policy differences between people who care more about this country than padding their bank accounts.

Posted by: MikeB | October 9, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

The sixth Republican debate kicked off Tuesday in Dearborn, Mich., with nine GOP presidential hopefuls taking the stage.

Who do you think won the Dearborn, Michigan MSNBC News Republican debate?

------------> http://www.youpolls.com/details.asp?pid=671

Posted by: PollM | October 9, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

"RUSH: We're going to go back to October 27th in Oxford, Mississippi, University of Mississippi. There was a forum with Senator Trent Lott and Senator Tom Daschle, and the title of the forum was Senate Leaders Working Together -- which always leads to Republicans losing. They didn't call it that. I added it. Here's a portion of Senator Lott's remarks about his support of the amnesty bill.

LOTT: I learned a lesson. I got clobbered, by name! Some of my close friends, Rush Limbaugh and they really worked me over really good, and then I wandered out into the hall in front of the Senate chamber. Tom and I tripped into that before, and I said something to the fact that we've gotta do something about this talk radio problem. Man, my phones were jammed! (laughter) What did I mean? I had two threats to take me out completely, one of which we turned over to the FBI.

RUSH: (Laughing.) Oh, I love people that remind people how many death threats they get! Here's the second bite, another portion of Senator Lott's remarks.

LOTT: What I was trying to say, though, was, they were not telling the story as I viewed it, and I thought we needed to do something about talk radio by talking to them and explaining what we were trying to do. We came out and said, "We have a grand compromise." I think that's what we called it, grand solution, Republicans and Democrats, moderates, conservatives, liberals. "We got a deal," and then we went home to celebrate, but we didn't bother to say what was in it. Rush Limbaugh said, "This is amnesty." We were dead at that moment, because they had a one-word bumper sticker, "amnesty," and we had a six-paragraph explanation. We got killed. So talk radio has a real impact, and I think they have a role. I would never be a part of trying to shut up either side. This is America. We do have free speech. Everybody is entitled to their point of view."

Posted by: who is in control of this country? | October 9, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

"Perhaps concerned that he was sounding too dour, Thompson added: "It's not all doom and gloom.""

Say good night, Fred.

Posted by: bsimon | October 9, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

A part of the Foundation Trilogy featured an ambassador who came by the protagonists' location and made a few speeches. After he left they analyzed everything he said. The summary: he said nothing at all.

I keep getting reminded of that.

Is there any way that those who are paid to do journalism could actually do some journalism for a change and get something out of the candidates besides useless blather? Or, are those "journalists" paid to make sure that real questions aren't asked?

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | October 9, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"CALLER: Last week, when Harry Reid took you out of context, my nine-year-old screamed from his 360, "That's not what Rush said." My nine-year-old knew how to put you in context."

Posted by: I fear for the gop children | October 9, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"CALLER: -- congressman was being misrepresented, and the point that I asked him, if he would please make to the congressman was -- I didn't say it this way, but I'll say it this way to you. Rush, I'm an ornery woman. You can't put a thought in my head if I don't already have it, and I know you know that about women, because you've made that very clear. You don't put thoughts in my head. I have my thoughts. You voice my thoughts and you make me feel --
"

bad people. Scary time in america

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse