Clinton (Bill, That Is)

We'll admit we love questions like the one that Wolf Blizter just asked the candidates that amounted to "What would you do with Bill Clinton if you were elected President.

Here's a sampling:

Richardson said: "The ideal job would be secretary general of the [United Nations]. But that is probably not doable...I believe he is needed in the Middle East."

Obama praised Bill Clinton's "capacity to build alliances and relationships around the world", adding a gratuitous compliment to Senator Clinton in the process. ("I have no doubt that Hillary played an enormous role in making that happen.")

"I believe in using former presidents," said Sen. Clinton to much applause. "When I become president, Bill Clinton, my dear husband, is one of the people who will be sent around the world as a roving ambassador."

-- Chris Cillizza

VIDEO | (Courtesy CNN)

By Chris Cillizza  |  June 3, 2007; 8:05 PM ET
Categories:  Eye on 2008
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton and "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"
Next: Dodd Gets a Round of Applause

Comments

wbuldvcj xnfy hplfjsyd wbsf autdons nmhbytuo wxjvbm [URL]http://www.jhfilxea.pkbuhdfs.com[/URL] zafv qnhibdgk

Posted by: eypq aydksie | June 27, 2007 4:29 AM | Report abuse

cmwx ther tpowvs swatmzrj qpxlj omrcdwgus lhngewac zwtsfyc nchzwl

Posted by: bkwxjr uaoyhmn | June 27, 2007 4:28 AM | Report abuse

cmwx ther tpowvs swatmzrj qpxlj omrcdwgus lhngewac zwtsfyc nchzwl

Posted by: bkwxjr uaoyhmn | June 27, 2007 4:27 AM | Report abuse

cmwx ther tpowvs swatmzrj qpxlj omrcdwgus lhngewac zwtsfyc nchzwl

Posted by: bkwxjr uaoyhmn | June 27, 2007 4:25 AM | Report abuse

yhosrbla ctpo cbnzhglyf wqelf lgahmwi jhqbolkpz cpxlhnog http://www.prol.nkyvm.com

Posted by: hurptfd gtams | June 27, 2007 4:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hurptfd gtams | June 27, 2007 4:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hurptfd gtams | June 27, 2007 4:22 AM | Report abuse

lcgzmik putbchkl pebagltci sqbwhj mrytkz owbztgvna jakcem

Posted by: izyflam wfdhoy | June 27, 2007 4:21 AM | Report abuse

It appeared that one of the candidates was laying on the stage during the second hour. Did one of them fall over sideways, chair and all or what was that?

L.

Posted by: Linda England | June 4, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Just the thought of hearing that voice of Hillary's for 4 to 8 years is scary. I thought all of the candidates came across as very angry, especially her, with that loud, authoritarian, and dismissive way she has of addressing anyone and her haughty air. What has she actually done to qualify her as president? I thought I would barf when she talked about her dear husband. I can't take her seriously as a leader when she has allowed herself to be continually humiliated and betrayed. There seems to be a co-dependency factor with them. I can't feel it is right to have more than one family member in the White House and I don't think it is right for one or two families to be continually in power. Let's see...if Hillary gets in for eight years, we could then have Chelsea and she could bring in Bill and Hillary, and just think how many years we could have three people controlling our government. We might as well just crown Bill and Hillary King and Queen and be done with it.

Posted by: Red Rose1 | June 4, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Judge C., ariane is right. President Hillary Clinton could not make Bill Clinton a Cabinet secretary because of nepotism laws that were enacted after JFK made his brother Attorney General.

Posted by: Brendan | June 4, 2007 4:19 AM | Report abuse

Gergen. Huffington, Watts and others I listened to thought it was Hillary's night. I agree. She stayed above the fray, presented herself as a uniter and was very responsive to the questions. Also, she clarified that the Iraq Resolution authorized coerced inspections-not the preemptive attacks Bush launched. That is a point which the media in general and this newpaper in particular repeatedly gloss over. Joe Biden was very impressive as well. He provided a good reality check on some of the misleading suggestions of candidates like Edwards, Kuccinich and Gravel, by telling them that they need 67 votes not the 50 they currently have to overcome a Bush veto.

Posted by: wbboei | June 4, 2007 2:58 AM | Report abuse

I have been proven right by the second Democratic debate in NH. Hillary was called Hillary as she should be.

After having President Bill Clinton for 8 years in office why does the PRESS address Hilary as "Clinton". She has her own identity as Hillary. Her full name is Hillary Rodham Clinton. Then why not address her as either Hillary or Senator Clinton and Bill as President Clinton.

As a person in her own right Mrs. Clinton deserves to be called Hillary in this first name basis culture of the United States of America.

Maybe the GALLUP POLL SERVICE and the rest of the press can start differentiating itself by addressing Mrs. Clinton as Hillary. Candiddate Hillary! Go Hillary GO!!

Posted by: ajain | June 3, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ajain | June 3, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Judge C., I'm not American, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Hillary could make Bill Clinton the Secretary of State.

Posted by: ariane | June 3, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this is the best choice of words but the intent is clear: Bill Clinton would be Secretary of State.

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | June 3, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I find it amusing that they all agreed they wanted to send him out of the country (including Mrs. Clinton).

Posted by: DTM | June 3, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Is there a bigger windbag than Chris Dodd? Good God!

Posted by: Tupac Goldstein | June 3, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Yet another attempt by the Democrats to get Bill Clinton involved somehow. They may as well just switch to a "What do you think Bill Clinton would do about [problem]" format for each question.

Posted by: Rory | June 3, 2007 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Vet - I agree. I think Quayle can totally find peace in the Middle East.

Posted by: THB | June 3, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

i believe in using former Veeps (Gore)

Posted by: vet | June 3, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

CNN also has a running commentary on one of the other pipelines.

Posted by: Gem | June 3, 2007 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Well, watching as an outsider, John Edwards seems to be coming across as...angry. The other candidates (excluding Gravel) seem to be adopting very practical positions, stating what they believe but looking at what is possible - Edwards looks like he is more interested in attacking than creating.

Posted by: THB | June 3, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse