Clinton Campaign Adds Senior Operative

Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) has lured Guy Cecil, the political director of Senate Democrats' campaign arm, to her campaign where he will be tasked with heading up the field and political efforts of her presidential bid.

"We are thrilled that Guy is coming on board as we enter the home stretch of the campaign," said deputy campaign manager Mike Henry. "Guy is a unique talent who helped take back the Senate last year and he's going to play an integral role in our effort to secure the nomination."

Cecil, whose official title on the Clinton campaign will be national political and field director, leaves the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee after serving as its political director in the 2006 cycle and the first nine months of this election. Prior to the DSCC, Cecil spent time at the Dewey Square Group -- a Democratic consulting firm -- and, in the 2002 cycle, headed up the Arkansas coordinated campaign effort that helped elect Sen. Mark Pryor (D).

Cecil had been approached to join the Clinton campaign earlier this year in a similar role but had demurred, according to informed sources. "Senator Clinton has the strength and experience to deliver the kind of change America needs right now and I am grateful to be part of the team," he said of his new post. He will report directly to campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle.

Cecil joins an ever-expanding Clinton Inner Circle that is a mix of longtime loyalists (Doyle, pollster Mark Penn and communications director Howard Wolfson) and well-regarded operatives who have little to no previous affiliation with the Clinton (Cecil, Henry and deputy communications director Phil Singer).

By Chris Cillizza  |  September 18, 2007; 6:14 PM ET
Categories:  Eye on 2008
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dems Seek Upper Hand With Atlas Project
Next: Parsing the Polls: Clinton and the Electability Factor

Comments

Drindl and bsimon, the situation I gave earlier in my problem with the capital gains tax is not theoritical but 100% true. It's not fictional or made up, it's 100% fact. I didn't use the name of the lady and her beneficiary for obvious reasons, but it's a real situation. On my book of business, there are countless others just like it. I admit that one is extreme, but other than being in the hospital with cancer, most of my business is like that case. If you worked in financial services as I do, you would be surprised how many annuities, CD's and other vehicles for investment are carried by middle class working joe's and jane's. The rich can afford to take more risk, therefore they stick their money into mutual funds. But yes, my guess is over 50% of annuities and CD's are held by regular middle class person's. I guess over 50%, but that's not a statistical fact. If you wish to look it up to challenge that thought, feel free to do so. But the situation I gave is 100% true and most financial vehicles for investment, other than mutual funds, are held by middle class persons.

Mark in Austin, you can have your view but you and I should just agree to disagree. I believe it's unfair for a person to be taxed on income, invest their money and it be taxed on interest plus on the same dollar that has already been taxed via the income tax. I still don't believe this is fair, and neither do my clients who pay these hefty taxes.

Posted by: reason | September 19, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Clinton is wanting to win so badly that she'll accept or beg anyone to be apart of her team, when in reality, I hope she doesn't win...

YOU DON'T GET MY VOTE, CLINTON!

Posted by: Joshanna D. Hayes | September 19, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Sen. Hillary Clinton is the only suitable candidate to become our next president of United States of America.

She has vision and wisdom to execute the her office. She understands personal values and risposibility of the people and she has courage to fight for what is morally right, in setting the course to reaffirm our greatness as a God-honoring nation and people. She will put all in the line to defend the principle and values that make United States the greatest nation.!!!!

Posted by: Akber A. Kassam | September 19, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The home stretch?

Posted by: phlap | September 19, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"rufus, you have children. Go play with them, they need you."

THAT'S WHY i'M HERE. I DON'T WANT MY CHILDREN LIVING UNDER A FASCIST POLICE STATE RUN BY A KING/DICTATOR In america. I don't want my children to fight this new american revolution against american fascism. I'm saving BOTH my sons from this life. Why are you not helping me more drindl? Like I say. Play time is over.

Posted by: RUFUS | September 19, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Theoretical arguments aside, a 35% capital gains tax sounds obscenely high to me. I don't see why the capital gains tax rate should ever be higher than the filers income tax rate. Whether or not it should be lower is the argument where theory becomes applicable.

Posted by: bsimon | September 19, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

the clinton train is just rolling on

Hypocrite Hillary(DC Experience Matters?JFK & Bill HAD LIL

This Video Is Showing That Hillary is a hypocrite for saying obama has no experience

Posted by: train | September 19, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Re-reading what I wrote at 8:35A, I probably should not try to explain Capital Gains treatment in the morning, either.

Posted by: Mark in Austin | September 19, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I should never try to explain the theory of Capital Gains taxation late at night.

There are three factors that contribute to the desirable favored treatment for CG.

1. We have a graduated tax system. If an asset is bought and held for two years and then sold at a gain, the income it earned was not taxed, one half, in each period it was earned. Thus the income "bulged" in a single period, unfairly skewing the tax rate upward in the year of the sale. favored treatment of CG tends to offset the effect of the graduated rate in a similar way to the now abandoned method of "income averaging".

2. Any deferred gain is offset, to the extent of inflation, by the inflation over the holding period.

3. If no downward adjustment to the tax rate were allowed for long term investments, there would be an artificial tax based advantage to short term investments.
----------------------------
Nevertheless, we do not permit realtors who trade rea property on their own account to claim capital gains, because we take that real property to bought and sold in the ordinary course of business.

We do let equity fund managers, who provide CG for their investor clients, claim CG on
the percentage of investment gain they keep as compensation. It seems to me that we could fairly treat equity fund managers like realtors who trade on their own account - in other words, we could say that
taking a percentage of Fund CG as commission is ordinary course of business income. I do not see their commissions, which are their income, as being deferred, even if the source of the ability to pay them is deferred income. This will be debated in Congress soon, I expect.

Posted by: Mark in Austin | September 19, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

A U.S. Justice Department official has been arrested on suspicion of traveling to Detroit over the weekend to have sex with a minor.

John David R. Atchison, 53, an assistant U.S. attorney from the northern district of Florida, was arraigned in U.S. District Court in Detroit Monday afternoon.

An undercover officer posed as a mother offering her child to Atchison for sex, according to police.

Prosecutors said Atchison flew from Pensacola, Fla., to Detroit on Sunday intending to have sex with the 5-year-old girl.
He was arrested at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.

He is charged with enticement of a minor to engage in sexual activity. According to authorities, Atchison made contact with a detective working undercover for the Macomb County Sheriff's department's.

The detective, acting as the child's mother, allegedly arranged a sexual encounter between Atchison and her 5-year-old daughter, police said.
In deposition, detectives said Atchison suggested the mother tell her daughter that "you found her a sweet boyfriend who will bring her presents."
The undercover detective expressed concern about physical injury to the 5-year-old girl as a result of the sexual activity. Detectives said Atchison responded, " I am always gentle and loving; not to worry, no damage ever, no rough stuff ever. I only like it soft and nice."

The undercover detective asked how Atchison can be certain of no injury. He responded, "Just gotta go slow and very easy. I've done it plenty," according to detective

Posted by: another Republican pedophile | September 19, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

For uncensored news please bookmark:

www.wsws.org
www.takingaimradio.com
www.onlinejournal.com
www.globalresearch.ca

Student Tasered for Armed Madhouse Question to Kerry

Published September 18th, 2007 in Articles

"[Palast] said you won the 2004 election - isn't that amazing?
There were multiple reports of disenfranchising of Black voters on the day of the election in 2004 in Florida and Ohio. ... How could you concede the election on the day?"
by Greg Palast

See the video

View a slideshow of excellent pictures from the Alligator staff Photog. Andrew Stanfill

Read the excerpt from Armed Madhouse that got Andrew Meyer's in trouble.
We warned you: 'Armed Madhouse' is a dangerous book. Yesterday, Andrew Meyer, a University of Florida student was(Andrew Stanfill / Alligator Staff) attacked by five cops, zapped with tasers and arrested after demanding that Senator John Kerry answer the question.

Meyers, just released from jail and now facing five years in prison for resisting arrest, held up a copy of the book and began,

Student to John Kerry: "I want to recommend a book to you. It's called 'Armed Madhouse by Greg Palast.' He's the top investigative journalist in America."

Kerry: "I have the book. I've already read it."

Student: "... In this book, it says there were 5 million votes and you won the election. ... How could you concede the election on the day?"(Andrew Stanfill / Alligator Staff)

Meyers, a telecommunications student at the Gainesville campus, asked related questions including a query as to why Kerry refused to vote for impeachment. When he passed his alloted one minute mic time, five cops jumped him, threw him to the ground, shot him with taser shockers.

Kerry, true to character, stood immobile.

Now, I've given many talks. And some questioners have taken too long at the mic. But I've never done the Stalin thing of cops and electronic beating to limit the discussion. (Yes, it's true that Randi Rhodes recently threatened me with a taser when I've monopolized the mic in her studio.)

The Washington Post reported only that Meyers was holding a "mysterious yellow book." VERY mysterious.

I would note that enchained student was busted in Alachua County, Florida, where, six years ago, I uncovered massive, systematic and utterly illegal disenfranchisement of Black voters - ordered by Gov. Jeb Bush's office just before the 2000 election. ("Florida's Disappeared Voters," February 2001, The Nation.) Alachua remains under federal scrutiny for its long history of racial bias against Black voters.

I must admit I feel some appreciation for Meyers, especially because, even while he was being shot with untold amps of electricity, until he was handcuffed, he would not let go of his mysterious yellow book, 'Armed Madhouse.'

Hear the update live tonight on the new "Palast Report" on Air America Radio. The Palast Report will now broadcast every Tuesday night, at 9:30pm, on Richard Greene's new weeknight show, "Clout."

And get America's most SHOCKING book, the New York Times bestseller, Armed Madhouse: From Baghdad to New Orleans (Penguin 2007).

Subscribe to Palast's writings and view his investigative reports for BBC Television's Newsnight, at www.GregPalast.com.

Read the excerpt from Armed Madhouse that Andrew Meyer's got arrested for mentioning here.

Posted by: che | September 19, 2007 5:16 AM | Report abuse

drindl, I hope you understood my explanation better than reason's. The rule for CG is based on a rough mean. Otherwise, all transactions must be categorized in a very complex way. We do treat realtors who trade real estate on their own account as earning ordinary income and we make other similar exceptions. It would be consistent with current law to except fund managers who take a slice of the CG earned for the fund as compensation from CG treatment on their earnings. The way they are treated now is a loophole.

reason, there is usually no economic reason to treat any sort of income differently than any other. Why should work be treated more favorably than interestdividends, or vice versa? Taxation should not be the driver of investment decisions - whether to invest in one's own business, for example,
or in someone else's?

Posted by: Mark in Austin | September 18, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse

'capital investments held for long periods are eroded in real value by inflation. '

Mark, I really don't know how you can make this as a flat statement. It all depends on what the investment is in...

Posted by: drindl | September 18, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

reason --The example you cite is both inflammatory and not representative. I'm sorry, but I would have to guess that the majority of of the beneficiaries of capital gains tax cuts are not dear little hard-working old ladies with cancer.

And what about the rest of us, some of whom are middle-aged, working full time and with cancer and other diseases, who are taxed at 35%? Who are spending what's left of our lives working to keep our health insurance, with no tax breaks--and no financial breaks at all?

Try to keep the discussion on a level that avoids old ladies and puppy dogs. Try to discuss the issues on an adult level.

Posted by: drindl | September 18, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

reason, there is a simpler way to explain why capital gains rates should be significantly lower than income tax rates.

capital investments held for long periods are eroded in real value by inflation. Each single capital asset deal could be treated on its own merits - or we could have a "quick and dirty" but ez to understand system where capital asset sales profit is treated, if the asset is held for more than a year, as taxble at a fraction, say one half, of one's income tax rate, not to exceed a %, say 15%.

As long as CG is given more favorable tax treatment than ordinary income the theory of protecting long term income from inflation is honored.

Posted by: Mark in Austin | September 18, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Obama's tax plan is weak and full of holes. He needs to do better.

Huckabee interview. Good stuff.

Posted by: mpp | September 18, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

My collegiate chaplin was also a Yale man...I guess he's on it too. lol. Come on, this isn't conspiracy day.

On a more serious note, I pasted earlier a comment on the NH page from cold lightening about a 35% capital gains tax. I'd still like an answer on why you think the following situation, which is real, justifies that taxation.

"If our Democratic Congress were not such profoundly dense weasels, they would pass a bill now that would immediately raise the capital gains tax to 35% in order to have funds to support the troops, and thereby renew the debate about how that nation is a threat to our national security. If the United States is in serious peril, a 35% capital gains tax is reasonable." - Cold Lightening

I disagree with this assessment, cold. In the real world capital gains is paid on multi-million dollar mutual funds as well as $1,000 CD's. How is this fair to tax those who want to save and do better for themselves? The fed. gov't. is now going after tax-deferred annuities, hoping to slap a capital gains tax on those as well. I work in insurance/financial services and I'll give you this example, let's see if you can justify capital gains on tax deferred annuities.

I visited lady X at the hospital, I'm her insurance agent, and she is dying of cancer. She wanted to change her beneficiary to her brother-in-law, we will call him Y, as her husband has died already, b/c he's the only person that she knows would bury her and is decent. X told me to put Y down as her beneficiary so I did. Her dying wish is to take care of her grandchildren, as her children are on drugs and will not do. So, we decide that when she passes Y will pay for her funeral and then divide the rest in fixed annuities for her grandchildren. Her policy is worth $50,000. Lets (-) $10,000 for the funeral. She has 5 grandchildren. She is now deceased. Y buried her, divided $3,000 up among her children and put $7,500 on 5 different annuities for each grandchild. Are these the rich that should be paying capital gains taxes? Should Mrs. X have worked her whole life, paid her insurance premium's in order to leave something to help grandchildren for it to be taxed as income on her plus the gov't. get taxes on her interest every month? Why? What is the justification for X's money to be taxed and taken from her grandchildren? X's grandchildren could have gotten bigger returns from CD's, but that carries a capital gains tax so we decided on annuities. How is this fair?

Posted by: reason | September 18, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to all of you who had kind words for me today.

drindl, a third and/or fourth possibility about Kurds/Hunt:
the Admin had no idea whatsoever it was happening/or, it could not see the implications. With this Admin., it is all
possible.

Maybe CC will report on some D beside HRC tomorrow. He does occasionally throw a bone to the field.

Posted by: Mark in Austin | September 18, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

have to agree with 'sheesh'..

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Chris, nothing on Obama's tax plan? Or his rally today in DC? Is this the way of helping Clinton to solidify her "inevitable" status, by completely ignoring what the other candidates do?

Posted by: sheesh | September 18, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Hillary has run an excellent campaign and sheis the strong and smart choice for democrats.

Posted by: csh | September 18, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

'Do you also think that perhaps the Admin. has either given up on the Iraq central govt. and is not telling us, or that by not having State veto the Kurd/Hunt deal they are sending one of their typically heavy handed, speak-LOUDLY-and-carry-a-wee-stick messages?'

Mark, I do wonder about that.. don't you? It seems very counterproductive to the centnral gov't.

And I do agree that Obama's tax plan is a much bigger deal than Hillary's health plan... it sounds sensible to me, and achievable.

Trying to interject some thoughts into this thread that rufus and zouk have so totally highjacked.

rufus, you have children. Go play with them, they need you.

Posted by: drindl | September 18, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be funny if Rufus had gone to Yale?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Why is this scary?

Do you know how many British Prime Ministers, never mind politicians or "famous" people in general went to one small Oxford college that numbers around 150 people a year or have been Presidents of the Oxford Union - numbering 3 a year?

It is of no surprise whatsoever that concentrations of people who meet at university go on to do similar things, in fact hell, maybe they choose to go to particular places or join particular things because they are interested in similar things - what would be really weird is if there was no connection at all, you paranoid freak.

Posted by: Confused Brit | September 18, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

anyone see any big names. This scared the heck out of me when I saw it. Dana Milbank?

John Kerry? Heinz? WOW

Beware the yale plan

Posted by: rufus | September 18, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

i SAW THE VIDEO old man (proudtobegop) of the florida taser guy you said was me. I wonder if it wa the skull and bones question that set the police off.

hhhmmm.

Beware of the yale plan. I'm just glad the video is everywhere today.

Beware of teh yale plan.

"All U.S. presidents since 1989 have been Yale graduates, namely George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton (who attended the University's Law School along with his wife, New York Senator Hillary Clinton), and George W. Bush, and Vice President Dick Cheney, (although he did not graduate). Many of the 2004 presidential candidates attended Yale: Bush, John Kerry, Howard Dean, and Joe Lieberman.

Other Yale-educated presidents were William Howard Taft (B.A.) and Gerald Ford (LL.B). Alumni also include several Supreme Court justices, including current Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito.

Additional famous alumni are noted in the List of Yale University people, including Nobel Laureates, politicians, artists, athletes, activists, and numerous others who have led notable lives.
"

"List of Skull and Bones members in politics

George H. W. Bush (1948), 41st President of the United States; 11th Director of Central Intelligence; son of Prescott Bush; father of George W. Bush[19]
George W. Bush (1968), 43rd President of the United States; 47th Governor of Texas[20]
Prescott Bush (1916), U.S. Senator (R-Connecticut 1952-1963), Father of George H.W. Bush, grandfather of George W. Bush[21]

Walter Camp (1880), founder of American football[22]

William F. Buckley, Jr. (1950), founder of National Review[15]

forget this. Read at your leisure

A
Frederick Baldwin Adams (1900), chairman of the West Indies Sugar Corp.[citation needed]
Victor Ashe (1967), Tenn. State House (1968-1975); Tenn. State Senate (1976-1984); Mayor of Knoxville, Tenn. (1988-2003); appointed Ambassador to Poland (2004-Present) by George W. Bush[4][5]
Roy Leslie Austin (1968), appointed ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago by George W. Bush[6][7]

[edit] B
Howard M. Baldridge (1918) - U.S. Representative (R-Nebraska 1931-1933)[citation needed]
Simeon Eben Baldwin (1861), Governor and Chief Justice, State of Connecticut; son of Roger Sherman Baldwin[8]
Jonathan Brewster Bingham (1936), U.S. Representative (D-New York 1965-1983); Council on Foreign Relations[9]
William Bissell, Governor of Illinois (1857-1860); brother of Richard M. Bissell, Jr.[citation needed]
David Boren (1963), Governor of Oklahoma, U.S. Senator, President of the University of Oklahoma[10][11]
Amory Howe Bradford (1934), general manager for the New York Times[citation needed]
Augustus Brandegee (1849), Speaker of the Connecticut State Legislature in 1861[citation needed]
Frank Bosworth Brandegee (1885), U.S. Representative (R-Connecticut 1902-1905); U.S. Senator (R-Connecticut 1905-1924)[citation needed]
James L. Buckley (1944), U.S. Senator (R-New York 1971-1977)[12][13][14]
William F. Buckley, Jr. (1950), founder of National Review[15]

Senator Prescott Bush (Bones 1916) has long been rumored to have played a role in Skull and Bones' alleged theft of the skull of Native American leader Geronimo[16]McGeorge Bundy (1940), Special Assistant for National Security Affairs; National Security Advisor; Professor of History, brother of William Bundy [17]
William P. Bundy (1939), State Department liaison for the Bay of Pigs invasion, brother of McGeorge Bundy[18]

[edit] C
Walter Camp (1880), founder of American football[22]
Rob Carr (2005), all-time Yale football rushing yards leader
John Chafee (1947), U.S. Senator; Secretary of the Navy and Governor of Rhode Island; father of Lincoln Chafee[23]
R. Inslee Clark, Jr. (1957), Director of Undergraduate Admissions who helped Yale become coeducational; former Headmaster of Horace Mann School[24]
Henry Sloane Coffin, president of the Union Theological Seminary[25]
William Sloane Coffin, clergyman and peace activist[26]
John Sherman Cooper (1923), U.S. Senator (R-Kentucky 1946-1949, 1952-73); member of the Warren Commission[1]
Alfred Cowles (1913), founder of the Cowles Commission[citation needed]
Hugh Cunningham (1934), Rhodes Scholar; CIA[citation needed]
John T. Croxton (1857), Union Army general during the American Civil War and later the U.S. Ambassador to Bolivia.

[edit] D

Timothy Dwight (Bones 1849), President of Yale (1886-99) and one of a number of Bonesmen to go on to posts at the universityRussell Davenport (1923), editor of Fortune magazine; created Fortune 500 list[27]
F. Trubee Davison (1918), Director of Personnel at the CIA[28][29][30]
Henry P. Davison Jr. (1920), senior partner at JP Morgan[citation needed]
Chauncey Depew (1855), U.S. Senator (R-New York 1899-1911)[31]
William H. Donaldson (1953), former chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission; founding dean of Yale School of Management; co-founder of DLJ investment firm [32][33]
Richard Dale Drain (1943), CIA; co-authored early paper proposing the Bay of Pigs invasion[34]
William Henry Draper III (1950), Chair of United Nations Development Programme and Import-Export Bank of the United States[35]
Timothy Dwight V (1849), Yale acting Treasurer 1887-1889, Yale President 1886-1899[36]

[edit] E
John E. Ecklund (1938), Yale treasurer 1966-1978; lawyer[citation needed]
William Maxwell Evarts (1837), U.S. Secretary of State; Attorney General; Senator; grandson of Roger Sherman[37][38]

[edit] F
Clint Frank (1938), 1937 Heisman Trophy winner[citation needed]

[edit] G
Charles Stafford Gage (1925), Yale Treasurer 1954-1966; Mathiesson Chemical[citation needed]
Evan G. Galbraith (1950), US ambassador to France; managing director of Morgan Stanley[39][40]
Artemus Gates (1918), president of New York Trust Company, Union Pacific Railroad, TIME-Life, and Boeing Company[citation needed]
Paul Giamatti (1989), actor; son of former Major League Baseball Commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti.[citation needed]
Daniel Coit Gilman (1852), president of the University of California, Johns Hopkins University, and the Carnegie Institution[41]
William Henry Gleason (1853), Lt. Governor of Florida; founder of Eau Gallie, Florida; lawyer and land speculator[citation needed]
Earl G. Graves, Jr. (1984), president of Black Enterprise[42]
Robert Gow (1955), business associate of George H. W. Bush; president of Bush's Zapata Oil[43]

[edit] H
Briton Hadden (1920), co-founder of Time-Life Enterprises[44]
Arthur T. Hadley (1876), Yale president 1899-1921[45]
Averell Harriman (1913), U.S. Ambassador and Secretary of Commerce; Governor of New York; Chairman and CEO of the Union Pacific Railroad, Brown Brothers & Harriman, and the Southern Pacific Railroad[46]
E. Roland Harriman (1917), businessman; railroad executive; president of American Red Cross[citation needed]
H. J. Heinz II (1931), Heir to H. J. Heinz Company; father of H. John Heinz III[47]

[edit] I

[edit] J

John Kerry (Bones 1966) faced off against George W. Bush (Bones 1968) in the 2004 US presidential election, the first time two Bonesman had run against one another for that office [48]Pierre Jay (1892), first chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York[citation needed]
William Jorden (1925), U.S. Ambassador to Panama; National Security Council[citation needed]

[edit] K
John Kerry (1966), U.S. Senator (D-Massachusetts 1985-present); Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts 1983-1985; 2004 Democratic Presidential nominee[49]
Henry Coit Kingsley (1834), Yale Treasurer 1862-1887; Daniel Coit Gilman's uncle[citation needed]

[edit] L
Edward S. Lampert (1984), founder of ESL Investments; chairman of Sears Holdings Corporation [50][51]
Charles Edwin Lord (1949), U.S. Comptroller of the Currency [citation needed]
Winston Lord (1959), Chairman of Council on Foreign Relations; Ambassador to China; Assistant U.S. Secretary of State [52][53]
Robert A. Lovett (1918), US Secretary of Defense[54] [55]
Henry Luce (1920), co-founder of Time-Life Enterprises [56]

[edit] M

Archibald MacLiesh (Bones 1915), poet, diplomat, three-time Pulitzer Prize winner, and Librarian of CongressArchibald MacLeish (1915), poet and diplomat[57]
Franklin MacVeagh (1862), US Secretary of the Treasury[58]
H. Neil Mallon (1917), CEO of Dresser Industries [59]
F. O. Matthiessen, historian, literary critic[60]
Robert McCallum, Jr (1968), Ambassador to Australia[61][62]
Lee McClung (1892), Yale Treasurer 1904-1909; U.S. Treasurer 1909-1912[citation needed]
David McCullough (1955), U.S. historian; two-time Pulitzer Prize winner[63]
Dana Milbank (1990), political reporter for The Washington Post[64] [65] [66]

[edit] N

[edit] O

[edit] P
Gifford Pinchot (1889), First Chief of U.S. Forest Service[citation needed]
Dino Pionzio (1950), CIA Deputy Chief of Station during Allende overthrow[citation needed]
John Rockefeller Prentice (1928), Grandson of John D. Rockefeller; pioneer of artificial insemination[citation needed]

[edit] Q

[edit] R
Percy Rockefeller (1900), director of Brown Brothers Harriman, Standard Oil, and Remington Arms[67]

[edit] S
Don Schollander Olympic Gold medal swimmer.[68]
Stephen A. Schwarzman (1969), co-founder The Blackstone Group[69][70]
Charles Seymour (1908), President of Yale 1937-1951[71]
Frederick W. Smith (1966), founder of FedEx[72][73]
Amos Alonzo Stagg (1888), college football coach[74][75]
Harold Stanley (1908), founder of investment house Morgan Stanley[citation needed]
Donald Ogden Stewart (1916), author and screenwriter, Academy Award winner for The Philadelphia Story[76]
Potter Stewart (1936), U.S. Supreme Court Justice[77]
Henry L. Stimson (1888), US Secretary of War[78]

[edit] T

William Howard Taft (Bones 1878), son of the society's co-founder and the first of three Bonesman to become US PresidentRobert A. Taft (1910), U.S. Senator (R-Ohio 1939-1953)[79]
William Howard Taft (1878), 27th President of the United States; Chief Justice of the United States; Secretary of War; son of Alphonso Taft[80]
Lawrence G. Tithe (1916), Yale Treasurer 1942-1954; director and partner, Brown Brothers Harriman[citation needed]
Evarts Tracy (1890), President of Tracy and Swartwout, architectural firm responsible for the cloister garden within the Skull & Bones Tomb. Nephew of Bonesman William Maxwell Evarts.[2]

[edit] U

[edit] V
Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt (1898), son of Cornelius Vanderbilt II; brother of Gertude Vanderbilt Whitney[citation needed]

[edit] W
Morrison R. Waite (1837), U.S. Supreme Court Justice[81]
George Herbert Walker, Jr. (1927), financier and co-founder of the New York Mets; uncle to President George Herbert Walker Bush[82]
Howard Weaver (1945), CIA[citation needed]
William H. Welch (1870), dean of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine[citation needed]
Frederick E. Weyerhaeuser (1896), heir to the Weyerhaeuser Paper Co.[citation needed]
Andrew Dickson White (1853), Co-founder and first President of Cornell University[citation needed]
James Whitmore, American actor.[citation needed]
Edward Baldwin Whitney (1878), New York Supreme Court Justice[citation needed]
Harry Payne Whitney (1894), husband of Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney; investment banker[83]
William Collins Whitney (1863), U.S. Secretary of the Navy; New York City financier[citation needed]
Dean Witter, Jr. (1944), son of the founder of investment house Dean Witter Reynolds[84]
George W. Woodruff (1889), College Hall of Fame football coach, Acting Secretary of the Interior and Pennsylvania state attorney-general[citation needed]
"

Scary stuff

Posted by: RUFUS | September 18, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

"Boehlert: MoveOn.org and the media mess
Tactics and etiquette, that's what excites the Beltway press corps. And last week, the press loved the Republican tactic of campaigning against the MoveOn.org print ad. ("A brilliant straw man," gushed NBC's Chuck Todd.) And last week, the press tsk-tsked MoveOn's lack of etiquette in raising doubts about a four-star general. As for the war itself? That kind of coverage can always wait for another week. (Newsrooms have little interest in chronicling what's actually happening in Iraq.) Read More"

sTRAW MAN

Posted by: RUFUS | September 18, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Matthews, like clinton shows his face.

"You only get introuble in washington, for telling the truth."

I guess this explans his news coverage the last 15 years.

Posted by: rufus | September 18, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

BOOOOOOOOOOOO clinton. BBOOOOOOOOO

Clinton is gop. Beware of the yale plan

Posted by: rufus | September 18, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse