Fred Thompson KNOWS Andy Griffith

Fred Thompson is making sure voters know he is from the South.

After Huckabee unloosed one of his classic lines -- how America needs to approach energy security with the speech of a NASCAR pit crew rather than like the old family station wagon serviced by "Goober and Gomer" -- Thompson jumped in to say that he probably needed to explain to his friends on the stage who Goober and Gomer were.

Case closed?

By Chris Cillizza  |  October 9, 2007; 5:13 PM ET
Categories:  Eye on 2008
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Romney Picks the Low-Hanging Fruit
Next: A Contrast in Visions

Comments

I thought Fred Thompson stood out as the one man in the debate who doesn't come across as a professional slick politician. I've had enough of those.
I will not vote for Guiliani if the GOP nominates him in the Primaries. Do I realize that might mean Hillary will win? Yes. If the GOP wants to surrender their principals of the right to life and marriage is between a man and woman, then let them pay the price.

Posted by: California granny | October 10, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Former Senator Fred Thompson is the only candidate that gets it. He makes decisions based on principles. Principles don't change. You have to stand for something and not change who you are based on the polls. That is what Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani have done and all of the Democrats do it. Give me a leader that will stand by his principles anyday versus someone that stands for everything.

I know many Republicans and conservatives that will stay home if Rudy Giuliani is the candidate. He does not represent our values as conservatives, and never will. Millionaire Mitt Romney is a Republican-in-name-only (RINO ) that simply has everything else and nothing to do. "I guess I'll just try to buy the presidency". The White House isn't for sale! Conservatives will simply stay home and the Democrats will pick up additional seats in the House and probably get the 60 seats in the Senate they need to completely destroy our Country. Nice picture huh?

However, I think Fred can bring America back together, if that's even possible. America needs a rebirth of patriotism and honor. Republicans also need a rebirth. President Reagan was our last rebirth and he can never be duplicated. Fred Thompson will bring his own down-to-earth common sense to this country.. A little of the good old days of faith, federalism and family would do well for this country. If a conservative runs as a conservative, he will win!

Think of it this way: Eight years of another Clinton White House? Now if that is not a sufficient enough reason to pull together as a nation, and fight this socialist liberal takeover of our government, what is?

Folks, we are in for the fight of our lives, just as our young men and women are fighting for our freedoms in Iraq and Afghanistan, we must fight for our nation right here and now! I truly believe Fred Thompson is the one man who can pull this nation back together! Rudy Giuliani will just tear us apart.

Posted by: Keith | October 10, 2007 3:47 AM | Report abuse

Chris, that was pathetic. =P

Posted by: Joe | October 9, 2007 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Drindl, a "modern" Republican is one who wants to bring the party to the 1950s, the other Republicans believe in staying in the 19th century and prior, lol! The Democratic party is the party that realizes we've already are approaching the second decade of the new millenium and are preparing to deal with the future! They don't call the GOP the Grand OLD Party for nothing!

Posted by: Kind671 | October 9, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

'See? Thompson knows "The Andy Griffith Show." Thompson is from the South. Thompson -- unlike Mike Huckabee -- can win the general election.

Case closed?'

I mean, really... this is the state of political discourse in this country? 'I'm old enough to remember the Andy Griffith TV show?' This is leadership material for the 21st century?

Posted by: drndl | October 9, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

It's sad that the contest is defined by who is most familiar with a TV show that ceased production decades ago. Only in the Republican Party.

Posted by: Jeff | October 9, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

"CALLER: Last week, when Harry Reid took you out of context, my nine-year-old screamed from his 360, "That's not what Rush said." My nine-year-old knew how to put you in context."

Posted by: I fear for the gop children | October 9, 2007 05:28 PM

Posted by: rufus | October 9, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Huckabee has raised almost $500,000 since Oct 1.

Remember, even Bill Clinton said he was the "dark horse of the GOP".

Posted by: Paul | October 9, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee has distinguished himself a couple of times this afternoon. Can he catch fire without money?

Paul seems to be proving that there is an antiwar small gov almost isolationist vote remaining in the R Party.

McCain has spoken well.

Thompson strikes me as being affable to the point of "me too, fellas."

Posted by: Mark in Austin | October 9, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

how can Fred win the general election? Do you really think Americans want another slow Southerner in the Oval Office?

Posted by: freeDom | October 9, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee is a much better candidate than Thompson. At least I was able to stay awake listening to Mike - Fred put me to sleep.

Posted by: Isabella | October 9, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Fred can not win the General Election...Mike Huckabee can...Fred spends too much time babbling and asking for applause...Mike has real solutions...

Posted by: jack | October 9, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Hmm.. More than one Goober and Gomer...

Posted by: Jen | October 9, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

If only Huckabee had the money....

Posted by: Cam | October 9, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse