Iowa Straw Poll: Huckabee Hopes $ Doesn't Matter

AMES, Iowa -- Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee pleaded poverty in his speech to straw poll attendees but insisted all of that could change with today's vote.

"I'm not the best-funded candidate in America," Huckabee said. "I can't buy you. I can't even rent you."

That line -- as well as several others in Huckabee's speech -- seemed to be part of a conscious effort to draw a line betweeen the well-funded straw poll efforts of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback and Huckabee's own shoestring presence. All three candidates are competing hard for the votes of social conservatives in Iowa and elsewhere in the early primary process.

Unlike many of the speakers who preceded him, Huckabee made a direct pitch for votes during his speech. He cast a vote for his campaign as a potential game-changer in the way a president is selected.

"We are not going to elect a president based on the raising of money but based on the raising of hopes and ideas that can make us a better and freer nation," he said.

Rhetoric aside, if Huckabee doesn't finish in the top three it would be a major blow to his campaign, which for months has aimed at making a breakthrough at the straw poll.

By Chris Cillizza  |  August 11, 2007; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Eye on 2008
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Iowa Straw Poll: The Ron Paul Revolution
Next: Iowa Straw Poll: Brownback's Subtle Dig at Romney

Comments

Huckabee-Edwards-Obama-Paul-Gravel-Richardson-
Clinton-Kucinich is a good choice for America,and the last chance to get out of the Neocon-Big Oil nightmare that will bankrupt this great country and the world .

The Neocon Media ( the War-Security Contractors and its Hedge-Funds and with Oil Money) is very upset because this early campaign gives candidates and voters a rare chance to meet, talk,discuss,opinion,view,check and compare,WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE TV NETWORK MULTI-MILLION AD MACHINE,
YEAAAHHH !

the problem is the 30 % of voters which when asked why they may vote for Giuliani,Romney or Fred Thompson say: they just look presidential...they don't know their flip-flop and neocon backing, they are innocent and naive and think to look presidential is enough, we must explain to them !

the reason Rupert Murdoch wants the WSJ-Dow Jones is to control and influence the polls, these political polls are a total fabrication and a fraud, it's time to get them out of the equation, it's time for honesty !

as the media reported on page 17 (!), Greenspan was pushing the sub-prime market all over during 2005 and 2006,and now Goldman Sachs and others are losing billions ,why no one remembers that ?

Elections on Saturday and Sunday , without exit polls and spin,will let more people vote,we need a 48 hour silence period,and remembering that the Diebold Voting machines had a malfunction in 1.000 votes this weekend in Iowa,that's unacceptable, we need paper trail and secure software.

the WP , now that the WSJ is a wash-out , needs a big financial push,stories and full reports, the deep facts, a great chance !

Posted by: blogger | August 13, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee ... isn't he the knucklewalker who doesn't believe in evolution?

Yeah just what we need, another yahoo who rolls in the aisles and bays at the moon.

o/~ got one al-reeeeady o/~

Posted by: Chris Fox | August 11, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee had the best speech of the day. His reference to his daughter and their trip to Israel was especially moving.

Posted by: Adam | August 11, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Whats wrong with America? Well lets see, there are kids going to school and not coming home because of Terrorist (excuse me the PC term is Disturbed Students) this did not happen when I was in the early years of my education, but God was still allowed in the schools back then, if Mike becomes President maybe he will re-open the schools to God and close our borders to illegal invaders, I think the PC term is Immigrants, however if they are Immmigrants why is the Immigration Service now part of Homeland Security?

Posted by: Robert M. Paris | August 11, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Mike Huckabee's speech was amazing, as usual! Love that man! Hope he does well today in Ames . . . what a motivator! He is such a dynamic speaker! Very articulate.

God speed . . . all the way to the White House!!

Tonya
New Albany, IN

Posted by: Tonya (New Albany, IN) | August 11, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Roy, the conspiracy theory fascinates me: who's "blocking or boycotting" Paul? I've been reading a ton about him in all the (mainstream) papers, and he's been in all the debates. What's he being "blocked" or "boycotted" from?

Posted by: Scott Moss | August 11, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I feel like the main stream media and the republican party is blocking or boycotting Ron Paul. I am a life long Republican. I am also an Iraqi War veteran and disabled veteran. Is this America or a conspiracy state. He is the only candidate. The rest are all the same. I can't tell the difference between Democrats and Republicans any more. I beg you please help Ron Paul save our great Republic. To me my friends and family he is our only and best hope. For our children, for our future, we must have a tomorrow . The country cannot go on as is. I beseech to more robustly cover this great American. Restorer of the Republic and possibly one of the last defenders of the Constitution.
Sincerely,
RFD

Posted by: roy.davis2 | August 11, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Were there any real reporters there who tried to ask Huck about his past immigration-related statements and actions?

Couldn't the WaPo have saved money by hiring a local transcription service instead of flying you and Balz in?

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | August 11, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Trying to contribute to the "Give a Buck to the Huck" Campaign today, we found the site surrounded by "Wives for Romney" volunteers and couldn't get in. The women were very attractive, too; some appeared quite young. Romney's latched on to something and I'm not sure we're prepared for it.

Posted by: Alfonse Simiotto | August 11, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Govenor Huckabee has no dough because nobody wants him. Self righteous holy mackeral. Voters invest in their candidates even if only $10.00 or $20.00.

Posted by: Kent Benson | August 11, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Ron Paul is obviously the choice for the Straw Poll and for the presidency!
Most of the repub candidates are CFR (New World Order) members.
Ron Paul will not be bought!
That's why he is known as Dr.No.

Posted by: Al | August 11, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I thought Huckabee had the best speech of any of the candidates thus far. I didn't see any of the earlier speeches changing people's minds. Huckabee's did, I'm sure.

I hope he does well today.

Posted by: Joseph Steinbeck | August 11, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse