Huckabee's Out; McCain Officially GOP Nominee

Former governor Mike Huckabee (Ark.) bowed to the inevitable tonight, dropping from the Republican presidential race and ensuring that Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) will represent the party in the fall election.

Huckabee ended the campaign as he started it -- with a folksy story about former Kansas City Royals all-star George Brett -- before announcing that he had called McCain moments ago to congratulate him.

"I extended to him not only my congratulations but my commitment to him and to the party to do everything possible to unite out party and to unite our country," said Huckabee.

As he had for much of the race, Huckabee had only kind words for McCain and the "civil" campaign he ran. "I am grateful for the manner in which he has conducted his campaign," Huckabee said.

The formal clearing of the Republican field for McCain provides a stark contrast with the more and more muddy picture on the Democratic side where Rhode Island, Texas and Ohio remain too close to call in the contest between Sens. Barack Obama (Ill.) and Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.)

Stay tuned...

By Chris Cillizza  |  March 4, 2008; 9:27 PM ET
Categories:  Eye on 2008
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ohio Update: Inside the Exits
Next: Clinton Wins Ohio; Promises to Continue the Campaign

Comments

Hello to those who supported Mike Huckabee:
This is to Dan Campbell (good to see you posting again Dan..you're a good man)...and to bethidee-another "friend":
I'm trying to begin a dialog here with Huckabee supporters. If a petition was created demanding/requesting that Huckabee be the v.p. on the Republican ticket, would you vote, then, for McCain?
Just imagine if all of those who supported Mike, stood up to be counted and registered on a petition..it might be worth a shot!! We'd be talking about millions of petition-signers! Impressive!

Posted by: TrueColors1 | March 5, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Mccain,If you don't pick Huckabee as your VP then I will not vote. I am only interested in voting for Huckabee.

If you pick Huckabee I will also help you as a supporter. I will wave McHuckabee signs, make youtube videos, write letters to the editor, and make thousands of phone calls for you guys.

If you want the help of people like me and Huck's Army, you need to keep our candidate in the race.

Sincerely,

Dan Campbell

Posted by: marinepatriot | March 5, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

We won't have Mike Huckabee to kick around any more.

Posted by: kcoleman | March 5, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Last night left me near tears, and feeling so lost.
The good thing is, I was more engaged in this presidential election than I've ever been- and I know the same is true for many others. That's a good thing! I know what I want to fight for: the FairTax, illegal immigration reform and border security (I believe it should be a state issue now), Second Amendment rights, American sovereignty, addressing our aging infrastructure, an accelerated program to energy independence...and Mike Huckabee.
This country bought into the stereotype, and never bothered to research Governor Huckabee's stands on the issues- I know it, because I've encountered so many narrow-minded people in blogs all over the 'net. We lost an opportunity to nominate the Real Deal, and that so seldom comes along. We lost an opportunity to elect a President with excellent ideas for America's future success, and the ability to brilliantly articulate them. We lost a true leader who is capable of uniting us and inspiring us to greatness.
I will stop yelling at the TV soon, I'm sure. In the meantime, I'll watch to see the next step Mike takes on the national stage.

Posted by: bethidee | March 5, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Now we truly have an historic field of presidential firsts: an African-American, a woman and a fossil. If you count Ralph Nader, a crab.

Posted by: jparks99 | March 5, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Hukka supported southern racist symbols and the Neanderthal baggage behind them. So it's good that he has lost and is gone and will never be heard from again. He will soon be completely forgotten, meriting not even a footnote in history.

Posted by: RamuR | March 5, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I second the hat tip. I'd never vote for him either but he certainly doesn't act like your typical politician. And he's clever and quick on his feet.

Posted by: rickjginter | March 5, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Now then Huckabee supporters.... Will you FINALLY listen to what Ron Paul has to say...?

Posted by: carolm62 | March 5, 2008 3:17 AM | Report abuse

Having dissed John, defecatedupon him, cursed him, swift boated him, on the night that the true nature of the disaster that they expect in November became clear, they nominated him.

History will probably show that at that point most of 'em went home and sulked. For the whole rest of the year.

Arizona will have as its presidential candidate history two amazing book ends, Barry Goldwater and John McCain. Both of them added together won't add up to 45% of the vote.

Posted by: ceflynline | March 4, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Of course, if it became clear that McCain wasn't qualified to be president some sort of alternative would crop up. And, here's just one of the many reasons why he isn't qualified, and it's also a very good question people should go to his events and ask him:

If you don't want McCain to be the nominee, ask him that question, videotape his response, and then upload it to Youtube.

We need to do the job the hacks in the MSM refuse to do.

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | March 4, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I found a way:

Clinton wins Ohio 51 to 48

Clinton wins Texas 50 to 48.5

10:26 PM, March 4, 2008

Posted by: hollywoodog | March 4, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

The crossing party lines was supposed to have started a couple weeks ago in Wisconsin, and there were some people who did it, but a lot of good it did Clinton in the end.

This happens often in primaries when one party has already decided, or when the shapes of the two nomination races make it in the other party's interest to push the vote one way or another. Ultimately, though, I don't think it is that big of a deal, even if it does have a slight effect on the race.

Kudos, too, to Huckabee for hanging around this long. His lingering presence made these two contests still relevant for Republicans. O.K., maybe not relevant, but at least significant enough that the Republicans are cracking the news cycle a little in the early goings this evening. If Huckabee had dropped a couple weeks ago, we wouldn't be hearing anything about him or McCain tonight, so it's actually been a smart PR move on McCain's behalf for Huckabee to keep making stump speeches for these couple weeks.

Posted by: blert | March 4, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I doubt it'll matter. Howard Fineman had a pretty iteresting bit on the mood in the Clinton camp (and he is the one guy I wil ltrust with citing anonymous sources on this issue). He says his key source describes the mood as determined, but there isn't a sense of celebration and many workers in the campaign believe Ohio isn't enough tonight. Clinton may insist on pushing ahead, but this surrogate seemed to describe today at best as a stay of execution, not the gamechanger they were hoping for, and that surrogate might not go on.

Posted by: kreuz_missile | March 4, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Surfing around google news tonight in smaller Texas and Ohio papers, I'm seeing a lot of anecdotal evidence that many republicans in both states were voting democrat today, largely in response to El Rushbo urging his listeners to vote for Clinton to keep the demo "soap opera" going and to make sure the survivor is sufficiently bloodied to give McCain easy pickings. So when will the leading lights of the MSM, like the WaPo and NYT, do some real analysis of this and either debunk it or confirm it?

Posted by: flarrfan | March 4, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Hat tip to Gov Huckabee. I'd never vote for the guy, but he truly is a class act.

Posted by: kreuz_missile | March 4, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse