McCain Campaign Replaces Finance Director

After logging a disappointing fundraising haul in the first quarter, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has decided to make a change at the top of his campaign's finance operation.

Carla Eudy, a longtime fundraising consultant for McCain, has been moved out of her role as finance director and will be replaced by Mary Kate Johnson. Eudy will remain with the campaign in a senior advisory role, according to communications director Brian Jones, who called Eudy "incredibly hard working."

"This is a continuation of the campaign restructuring that began earlier this month," Jones said.

That restructuring comes after a first quarter in which McCain raised $12.5 million and ended the period with just over $5 million on hand. Both figures placed him third in the chase for campaign cash, behind former Gov. Mitt Romney (R-Mass.) and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Mary Kate Johnson served as deputy finance director for President Bush's 2000 campaign and went on to head up the fundraising effort for the 2001 inauguration. She went on to serve as a vice president of Cassidy & Associates and founded her own fundraising business -- MK Group -- in 2005.

The McCain camp suffered another staff loss in recent weeks as Craig Goldman parted ways with the campaign. Goldman served as executive director of McCain's Straight Talk America PAC in the run-up to the 2008 presidential race and was tasked as California state director for McCain.

McCain is set to formally announce his candidacy this week with a series of campaign stops beginning in New Hampshire and ending in his home state of Arizona.

By Chris Cillizza  |  April 24, 2007; 11:03 AM ET
Categories:  Eye on 2008
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John McCain, Serious Candidate
Next: Fix Picks: Edwards and Obama Under the Microscope

Comments

reason, I live in Arizona and I assure you
right now not all of us in Arizona live
Amnesty John McCain so stop drinking GOP
kool aid and sober up here! The fact is
that Amnesty John McCain killed his entire
political career and all hope of ever being
elected President when McCain Co-Sponsored
The Infamous George Wetback Bush-Amnesty
John McCain-Teddy Kennedy Leave No Illegal
Alien Behind Amnesty and Illegal Alien
Giveaway and Guest Worker Program and when
McCain became a good Bush Buttkisser! McCain cannot get relected to the Senate
or even be elected Dog Catcher of Gila Bend
Az these days so NOPE we donot,repeat love
John McCain in Arizona!

Posted by: Sandy | April 26, 2007 3:15 AM | Report abuse

Eudy is the best fundraiser on the planet; I'll wait to see if Mary Kate can fill her boots---my money is on Eudy!!

Posted by: Mary Louise | April 25, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

A few of you are beginning to think McCain is on the way out, and btw, it is something I have been saying for a long time now. About the only question I have would be is, how much longer will he keep on embarressing himself?.

Posted by: lylepink | April 24, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

And I know because I have the ability to read minds. Just try me. you are thinking I am crazy or just stupid. See I told you.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Razorback - The mission of the military is "To close with and destroy the enemy!"

It's as simple as that.

Nation building is not in the military's mission statement, the troops' job descriptions or their psyche.

It is only in the minds of Ivory Tower Neo-Cons in think tanks on K street and Presidents who makes statements saying the exact opposite when they campaign.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Why am I so gullible and stupid? why do I believe everything I read on Kos. If I post a name instead of noname, will anyone listen to me? how come I have no friends and the extent of my life is posting to this blog and trolling for tidbits to enlighten my fellow bloggers. you can thank me by contributing to Kos or moveon.org

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

As the researchers explained in their report, "The extent of Americans' misperceptions vary significantly depending on their source of news. Those who receive most of their news from Fox News are more likely than average to have misperceptions. Those who receive most of their news from NPR or PBS are less likely to have misperceptions. These variations cannot simply be explained as a result of differences in the demographic characteristics of each audience, because these variations can also be found when comparing the demographic subgroups of each audience."

Almost shocking was the extent to which Fox News viewers were mistaken. Those who relied on the conservative network for news, PIPA reported, were "three times more likely than the next nearest network to hold all three misperceptions. In the audience for NPR/PBS, however, there was an overwhelming majority who did not have any of the three misperceptions, and hardly any had all three."

Looking at the misperceptions one at a time, people were asked, for example, if the U.S. had discovered the alleged stockpiles of WMD in Iraq since the war began. Just 11% of those who relied on newspapers as their "primary news source" incorrectly believed that U.S. forces had made such a discovery. Only slightly more -- 17% -- of those who relied on NPR and PBS were wrong. Yet 33% of Fox News viewers were wrong, far ahead of those who relied on any other outlet.

Likewise, when people were asked if the U.S. had "clear evidence" that Saddam Hussein was "working closely with al Queda," similar results were found. Only 16% of NPR and PBS listeners/viewers believed that the U.S. has such evidence, while 67% of Fox News viewers were under that mistaken impression.

Overall, 80 percent of those who relied on Fox News as their primary news source believed at least one of the three misperceptions. Viewers/listeners/readers of other news outlets didn't even come close to this total.

In other words, Fox News viewers are literally less informed about these basic facts. They have, put simply, been led to believe things that are simply not true. These poor dupes would have done better in this survey, statistically speaking, if they received no news at all and simply guessed whether the claims were accurate.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

rest of the posters? you're talking to yourself.

and rumsfeld didn't ruin the military with privatization? spoken like a true corporate tool who doesn't give a sh*t about either the military or this country.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Rumsfeld didn't ruin the military with privitization.

The military was given a nation building mission in a place where the people there would rather blow things up, commit ethnic cleansing and have a civil war instead of having a nation.

The military has performed very admirably, regardless of what one thinks of Rumsfeld.

Posted by: Razorback | April 24, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Revolted, if what you say is true a man of your wit and intelligent ought to be able to put these slack-jawed droolers and the severely brain damaged in their place.

*translation:please engage people like me and zouk, we resort to straw men,falsehoods and insults. we love spouting the party line spend all day doing that because we have no job.

Maybe this should be like Kos, where liberals can delete the posts of those they disagree with?

*news flash, this is a public blog where you can say anything without getting banned. kos how ever is private where you have to REGISTER to post there.you must know what it is because they banhammered you when you started in with you rnc approved talking points and wasnt able to back up your facts.

do us all a favor go out side or get a job and leave the rest of the sane posters alone

Posted by: razorzouk | April 24, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Razorback | April 24, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Ooops, I ate all the paste. now how will I come up with anything to say?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

My cut and paste is working again. Goody gumdrops. I have some ideas.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Pentagon's bolstering of its ground forces in Baghdad by borrowing money and people from its sister services is further straining a stretched Air Force, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Michael Moseley said Tuesday.

The result, Moseley said, is people being assigned to jobs they weren't trained for. He cited Air Force airmen being used to guard prisoners and serve as drivers and cited one instance in which a female Air Force surgeon was assigned typing chores.

"We got her back," Moseley said at a breakfast with a group of reporters.

Posted by: rumsfeld ruined the military with privatizaton | April 24, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

coward-

"You don't have the brains or the decency as a human being. I don't give a damn that you're 12 years old, or 11 years old, or that you're a child, or that your mother is a thoughtless pain in the as* who doesn't care about what you do as far as I'm concerned. You have humiliated me for the last time with this blog."

Love: slack-jawed droolers and the severely brain damaged

See I CAN write to myself.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Former Pfc. Jessica Lynch today told a House panel how she was distraught at her hero status after returning from Iraq where two comrades died fighting. It added insult to injury, literally, to hear "the little girl 'Rambo'" version of events being portrayed by the administration and in the media, she said.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"We believe this narrative was intended to deceive the family but more importantly the American public," Kevin Tillman told a House Government Reform and Oversight Committee hearing. "Pat's death was clearly the result of fratricide," he said.

"Revealing that Pat's death was a fratricide would have been yet another political disaster in a month of political disasters ... so the truth needed to be suppressed," said Tillman, who was in a convoy behind his brother when the incident happened three years ago.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

yeah zouk, you found a way to ruin this board. you must be thrilled.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

CC -- YOU WOULD BE DOING YOURSELF A REAL FAVOR BY REQUIRING REGISTRATION.

Thanks to a couple of rightwing morons this site has turned into a hangout for slack-jawed droolers and the severely brain damaged. I mean, Christ, look at the last few posts.

It's just sad.

Posted by: Revolted | April 24, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

most of the back and forth disagreements immediately degenerate into senseless name calling thanks to me. I can be proud of my ignorance and cowardice. Its what makes me special. that's what they told me on the short bus every morning.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Bush Asserts Increased Confidence in Gonzales
By Michael Abramowitz, Washington Post
Tuesday, April 24, 2007; Page A03

President Bush said his confidence in Alberto R. Gonzales has grown as a result of the attorney general's testimony last week before the Senate Judiciary Committee...after a performance criticized by senators in both parties.

That Outer Limits theme in the background is getting louder.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"I won't be hurrying back."

Just another false promise, or for real this time?

If true, then most of the back and forth disagreements won't immediately degenerate into senseless name calling!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I lied and told a little known preacher named Al Sharpton that I have been raped.

Now everyone has heard of Al Sharpton.

Have I served my country?

Posted by: TwanaBrawley | April 24, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I am in the income group that pays 60% of all the income taxes in this country.

Have I served my country?

Posted by: TheDonald | April 24, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I serve my Country. If I hadn't f***** up the war, my boss would give me more to do.

I am the Vice President, unless that little b******* Kucinich has his way.

Have I served my country?

Posted by: Dick | April 24, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I sacrificed a career as an Avon salesperson so that I can teach in the inner city.

50% of students drop out, but I get summers off and my health care plan covers anatomy enahancement.

Have I served my country?

Posted by: TeachersUnionPrincess | April 24, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I see the substance has been drained from this blog by ignorant noname coward. too bad. I won't be hurrying back.

Posted by: kingofzouk | April 24, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Watch how I can ruin a blog with my nonsense. Are you proud harry? If you don't like nmy noname I'll make up some other silly names. then I'll blame it on zouk.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Flyboy - You're not Zouk.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I went to Canada in 1971 because I am a word that starts with "P" and rhymes with "wussy".

Does that count as serving my country?

Posted by: DraftDodger | April 24, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes I am.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I bombed Baghdad on Ramadan to serve my country. What about you?

Posted by: FighterJock | April 24, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he's really that old, but he's beginning to seem like he's lost it mentally. Maybe he was the same 4 to 8 years ago and I just never noticed it, but lately he's beginning to seem really frightening - unpredictable and kind of whacko.

Posted by: expedito | April 24, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"shot at US presidents" another historical falsehood, Zouk. But you keep putting it in posts, knowing that somebody won't know that it's not true.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

The real Zouk appears with the renowned shots at public education.

Zoukie, two things which you've studiously avoided explaining to us -

What course in private school do they present which teaches one how to create Historical factoids out of whole cloth?

And, just what have you done to serve your country?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

BTW - In case you haven't heard yet, the Iraqis didn't have anything to do with those 3,000 deaths, but they did harbor killers and pay rewards to killers and defied UN mandates and tried to build prohibited weapons and invaded their neighbors and stole food money and shot at US presidents and shot at US planes and broke all their agreements and.....

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Harry "Al Qadea" Reid Hopes We Lose So He Can Win
Last Year James Carville Authored A Strategy Document For The Elections Which Said That The Centerpiece Of Strategy For Democratic Victory Would Be That The Democratic Party Had To Create A Defeat In Iraq. He Said The American People Must Be Made To Believe That We Are Defeated. He Made It Clear That The Democrat Party's Worst Nightmare Was For Americans To Not Be Killed In Large Numbers, For America To Win The War. He Solidified The Democrat Party's Alliance With Al Qaeda And Iran. For The Shortisighted Sake Of Seizing Domestic Political Power.

Posted by: Sean Penn | April 24, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Proud - I have been on travel.

I think we would have won that battle without caving in. the spineless Repubs are beginning to get to me. they will not stand for much of anything anymore. I see that compromise as the beginning of the slide. It is so easy to beat Dems on issues when their side is revealed. Loudmouths are ready to lose in Iraq. Red blooded americans from red states are willing to see it through. not the blue bloods. they want to surrender now, give up all guns at home, raise taxes and hope the attacks will cease. Obama will establish a cabinet level department of hope to make sure this happens. Or hillary will establish a 99% tax bracket to cover all the medical bills from the next massacre.

I see ignorant coward still thinks that all posters who don't agree with his warped view of the world must be the same person, since there can be only one in his view. that must be news to ProudtobeGOP, Razorback, william and all the rest. his multiple personalities at times seems to indicate clinical attention is needed. Or maybe its more than one person. could more than one person be so mis-informed? --those government schools at work on your dime. I suspect he was so stoopid he was forced into the military (thanks Kerry) - probably infantry. since they are mostly smarter than average in the Army, he probably flopped out there and quit after 4. now he spends his time annoying people while sending out resumes to telecom sales depts.

and for that, zouk is to blame. another victim in the Lib arsenal, anonmyously posting short quick nothing of substance insults. yep, that's him.

Posted by: kingofzouk | April 24, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey, real - is IP and IA just another acronym for AH?

BTW - In case you haven't heard yet, the Iraqis didn't have anything to do with those 3,000 deaths.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I've been anonmyously posting short quick nothing of substance insults

In fact that is all I do

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

yeah and i got a qoute for that douche harry reid. these families need us here. obviously he has never been in iraq. or atleast the area worth seeing. the parts where insurgency is rampant and the buildings are blown to pieces. we need to stay here and help rebuild. if iraq didnt want us here then why do we have IP's voluntering everyday to rebuild their cities. and working directly with us too. same with the IA's. it sucks that iraqi's have more patriotism for a country that has turned to complete sh*t more than the people in america who drink starbucks everyday. we could leave this place and say we are sorry to the terrorists. and then we could wait for 3,000 more american civilians to die before we say "hey thats not nice" again. and the sad thing is after we WIN this war. people like him will say he was there for us the whole time.

Posted by: a real soldier | April 24, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Proud - Zouk has been showing up everyday. He just changed his M.O. for a while.

He's been anonmyously posting short quick nothing of substance insults.

For a while I thought that he may finally have gotten that electric shock therapy he needs.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Sad to see that the McCain camp thinks replacing Ms Eudy will bring in the money -Her track record is responsible for McCain bringing in more numbers of donors than Rudy or Romney- folks who would give more when McCain's "strategists" decide to tell McCain's followers what he is going to do to get elected. Hard to raise cash when you're only acting like the Pentagon's cheerleader and not acting like you're running for President. The McCain staff just better keep their fingers crossed Ms Eudy doesn't go to Romney or Rudy's side!

Posted by: Mccainaic | April 24, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

An al-Qaida-linked group claimed responsibility Tuesday for double suicide truck bombings that killed nine U.S. paratroopers in the worst attack on American ground forces in Iraq in more than a year, saying it sent "two knights" for the attack

I was told by Admiral Reid this was a civil war with no terrorists involved. someone is lying. I may have to make another trip. Our plan to surrender the war to win the election may be in jeopardy.

Posted by: General Pelosi | April 24, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

re: "If you want to side with Dems or create a gang of 14 wimps, run as a Dem then."

hi koz. long time no see.

just wondering...now that Justice Alito has proven himself to be a very valuable asset on the SC with regard to last week's vote upholding Congress' ban on PBA, why do you insist on condemning McCain for being part of the gang of 14 that resulted in his confirmation?

Posted by: proudtobeGOP | April 24, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

It was Eudy's time to go. She's a d-list fundraiser left over from the 2000 cycle.

Posted by: Jessica | April 24, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Is this a news site. I keep coming here to post news. I am really good at going to Liberal web sites and finding slanted news. then I cut it and bring it over here and paste it. Aren't I smart? doesn't this make a political statement that speaks truth to power? Have you ever met anyone as clever as me? Can you believe I don't get paid for this? One day I'll even come up with my own ideas to share.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The brother of Pat Tillman told a House panel today that the military tried to spin his brother's 2004 death to deflect attention from emerging failings in the Afghanistan war. Also, as media outlets prepared to release reports on detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib in Iraq, the military saw the Army Ranger's death as an "opportunity," Kevin Tillman told the panel.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shnaj | April 24, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

McCain lost when he listened to handlers and caved on South Carolina's Confederate flag. Now he's eight years older- looks more like twenty- and instead of sucking up to redneck/racist/losing side, he's sucking up to Jerry Falwell.
But I repeat myself.

Posted by: Abe Lincoln | April 24, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

The Republicans will eventually nominate someone. All of the major candidates have some type of pandering baggage because they have to do that to in order to win that nomination.

As soon as the nominee is official, we will quickly forget the pandering history and immediately begin focusing on the Republican vs. Democrat aspects.

McCain's major problem is not the pandering; it's the War. His mindset on it is still a 1965 mindset. Militarily, he's correct; but Iraq became "all about politics" a long time ago.

The power structure of the party has unsuccessfully tried to make this something other than "George Bush's War." As long as he doesn't persist and somehow make it "John McCain's War," he has a chance.

Posted by: Nor'Easter | April 24, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

... the Office of Special Counsel is preparing to jump into one of the most sensitive and potentially explosive issues in Washington, launching a broad investigation into key elements of the White House political operations that for more than six years have been headed by chief strategist Karl Rove.

The new investigation, which will examine the firing of at least one U.S. attorney, missing White House e-mails, and White House efforts to keep presidential appointees attuned to Republican political priorities, could create a substantial new problem for the Bush White House....

"We will take the evidence where it leads us," Scott J. Bloch, head of the Office of Special Counsel and a presidential appointee, said in an interview Monday. "We will not leave any stone unturned."

Bloch (who is, by the way, a Bush appointee) seems to have combined a host of investigations -- 1) whether U.S. Attorney for New Mexico David Iglesias was wrongly terminated due to his Navy reserve service, and 2) the White House's use of RNC-issued email accounts to conduct government business, and 3) Rove's and his deputy's presentations to federal employees about Republican electoral prospects -- into one big stew pot of wrongdoing.

Posted by: watch it | April 24, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Mitt's guy Corallo may or may not still be functioning as Rove's spokesperson these days, and the incestuous nature of inside GOP baseball where the faithful are all switch-hitters...let's just say if I were Mitt Romney, I wouldn't let Comstock near my hair gel. And I wouldn't let Corallo near my pancake make-up if I were Thompson.

Hell, I wouldn't let my latest wife near either of them if I were Thompson, because I hear through the Beltway grapevine that she's gung-ho about Thompson running for President and talking up a storm -- and I do mean storm, with all the attendant flashes of lightning and loud booms of thunder - about Thompson to anyone who wants to listen.

Thompson and Comstock were pals and courtroom seat buddies at the Libby trial, and worked together to raise money for convicted felon Scooter Libby. Again with the cozy, eh, Mitt?

I wouldn't let either Comstock or Corallo near anything that isn't already nailed down, fellas, because you never know when something might be useful down the road. And I don't mean useful to you, personally, either. There are a lot of other GOP wanna-be contenders out there, with campaign cash chum just siwrling in the bait waters. You never for sure know who will or will not be on your staff next month, now do you?

Posted by: mitty needs to be more careful | April 24, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

This is just for April, and of course, only a small part of the amount we are spending every month:

Force Protection Industries, Inc.,* Ladson, S.C., is being awarded $481,414,500 for firm-fixed-priced delivery order (#0003)

Raytheon Missile Systems, Tucson, Ariz., is being awarded a $59,452,101 modification to a previously awarded firm-fixed-price contract

Ionatron, Tucson, Ariz., is being awarded a $9,839,094 cost-plus-fixed-fee contract

McDonnell Douglas Corp., St. Louis, Mo., is being awarded a $9,105,605 ceiling priced delivery order (# 7020) under previously awarded basic ordering agreement contract

Trimble Navigation Limited, Dayton, Ohio, is being awarded an $8,623,970 firm-fixed-price purchase order against GSA

Northrop Grumman Mission Systems, Carson, Calif., is being awarded a $20,533,632 cost-plus-award-fee and cost-plus-fixed-fee contract modification.

Alutiiq International Solutions*, Anchorage, Alaska, was awarded on April 19, 2007, a $15,578,576 firm-fixed-price contract

Raytheon Co., Andover, Mass., was awarded on April 19, 2007, an $11,527,147 modification to a cost-plus-fixed-fee and cost-reimbursable contract

General Dynamics Information Technology, Fairfax, Va., was awarded on April 18, 2007, a $6,163,370 firm-fixed-price contract for customer support services.

Posted by: how much we're spending.. | April 24, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I just found out that global warming is caused by daylight savings time.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

MccCain knows the US isn't leaving Iraq -- for years. Permanent military bases are being built there to replace the ones we had in Saudi Arabia [you know, one of the reasons bin Ladin gave for 9/11 was our bases in the holy city of Mecca --blasphemy and what have you]. These will also be a base of operations when the US attacks Iran and Syria, and of course, invaluable for protecting the oilfields and pipelines.

'From the ashes of abandoned Iraqi army bases, U.S. military engineers are overseeing the building of an enhanced system of American bases designed to last for years.

In 2003, as troops poured over the Kuwait border to invade Iraq, the U.S. military set up at least 120 forward operating bases. Then came hundreds of expeditionary and temporary bases that were to last between six months and a year for tactical operations while providing soldiers with such comforts as e-mail and Internet access.

Now U.S. engineers are focusing on constructing 14 "enduring bases," long-term encampments for the thousands of American troops expected to serve in Iraq for at least two years. The bases also would be key outposts for Bush administration policy advisers.

As the U.S. has scaled back its military presence in Saudi Arabia, Iraq provides an option for an administration eager to maintain a robust military presence in the Middle East and intent on a muscular approach to seeding democracy in the region. The number of U.S. military personnel in Iraq, between is expected to remain unchanged through 2007, according to military planners.

"Is this a swap for the Saudi bases?" asked Army Brig. Gen. Robert Pollman, chief engineer for base construction in Iraq. It makes a lot of logical sense."

Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, deputy chief of operations for the coalition in Iraq, said the military engineers are trying to prepare for any eventuality.

"This is a blueprint for how we can operate in the Middle East," Kimmitt said.

To that end, the U.S. plans to operate from former Iraqi bases in Baghdad, Mosul, Taji, Balad, Kirkuk and in areas near Nasiriyah, near Tikrit, near Fallujah and between Irbil and Kirkuk.

There also are plans to renovate and enhance airfields in Baghdad and Mosul, and rebuild 70 miles of road on the main route for U.S. troops headed north.'

Posted by: why the US isn't leaving | April 24, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

McCain is going to have a hard time guessing the right time to announce. He's got to find a 48 hour window where he can dominate the news cycle and HOPE that there isn't yet another massacre in Iraq to remind Americans of what a bad idea McCain's "stay the course" policy is going to be.

Stick a fork in him....

Posted by: SWB | April 24, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

yes... but MoveOn is actually McCain with GOP voters with their "diabolical" TV ad campaign: http://www.solidpolitics.com

Posted by: William | April 24, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

After suffering through 8 years with a hapless moron, why would we want to elect a juvenile, fllipflopping clown?

Posted by: Jade | April 24, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

WASHINGTON - World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz has hired a prominent attorney as he fights to keep his job, in jeopardy for arranging a generous compensation package for a bank employee with whom he has been romantically linked.

Posted by: pathetic scum | April 24, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

McCain's problem isn't Eudy, it's McCain.

His singing "joke".... bomb, bomb, bomb Iran.... falls on the heartbroken ears of a grieving nation as 9 more of our brave troops die in Iraq's killing fields.

For those of us not laughing he admonishes, "Get a life."

Does he think these crass remarks recapture his old (and we now see no doubt phony) Straight Talk image?

Sit down John, your 15 minutes are over.

Posted by: Truth Hunter | April 24, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

It looks like McCain is shuffling things around to try and find a different formula. He should have a new fundraising chief, as it's never been in his nature to raise alot of money. He was outraised in 2000 by Bush and hasn't had to really concentrate on fundraising back at home in Arizona. There, people love McCain and he's not going to lose there so he doesn't have to worry about having tons of money to defend his seat. This is different, and calls for a more serious fundraising effort. It seems to be the right move for him at the right time.

Posted by: reason | April 24, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Keep your dirty paws off my speech or else. this is the 'or else'.

If you want to side with Dems or create a gang of 14 wimps, run as a Dem then.

Being correct on the war doesn't hide the other faults Senator.

Posted by: kingofzouk | April 24, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

too little, too late. it's over for him.

Posted by: frieda406 | April 24, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

HA I don't his finance director was the problem. Right now he's just shuffling chairs on the sinking ship.

Posted by: mountain man | April 24, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

US President Tim Kalemkarian, US Senate Tim Kalemkarian, US House Tim Kalemkarian: best major candidate.

Posted by: anonymous | April 24, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse