Romney Picks the Low-Hanging Fruit

As we wrote before, both Romney and Giuliani are showing their debate experience today.

On a question of whether Romney would want or need to go to Congress for approval of military action against Iran, Romney stumbled a bit but quickly turned his answer into an attack on Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad -- a hobbyhorse of conservatives.

That response will almost certainly win Romney some kudos among Republican base voters.

By Chris Cillizza  |  October 9, 2007; 5:02 PM ET
Categories:  Eye on 2008
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thompson on Iraq
Next: Fred Thompson KNOWS Andy Griffith

Comments

Avoiding tough questions and winning over the audience is something every candidate does. I think it's very revealing that everyone in this thread thinks the Republican voters who approve of Romney's tactics are unintelligent.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2007 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Name calling now suffices for politics?

Oh, and several hundred million dollars - since there are no ideas or solutions to our real problems being presented by any of frontrunners.

Our Oligarchy is a big puppet show that avoids all the real issues.

Posted by: Steve | October 9, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

CALLER: Yes, sir -- and then I hung up and then I called back after I reflected on it, and I said to him, I said, "Do you realize when you say 'tone of the Internet,' do you realize you can't or shouldn't regulate' tone'?" And I said, "Do you realize that Hillary has always, as long as I can remember, attacked everything that I love and I believe in. If she had her own way, she'd wipe me and my kind off the face of the earth -- and, sir, tone, passion, is one and the same," and I asked him to explain that to Mr. Waxman, that tone and passion, and that if somebody's trying to bring you to extinction, you're going to have passion."

These people are wackos. I'm sure what to do with these crazies

Posted by: rufus | October 9, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

"RUSH: You called his office after you heard the report that he has assigned investigators to monitor me and Hannity and Levin and our shows for irregularities?

CALLER: Yes. I called him this morning and I asked him how he could make an attack on the conservative talk show hosts who aren't telling me what to think, but instead they're simply representing what I already think, and before I could say anything more, he interrupted me and told me that the congressman's position was being misrepresented."

Posted by: the fascist rush | October 9, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

does rudy know he is not running against hilary yet? i know its a popular stance among republicans to clinton bash but come on this is just ridiculous

Posted by: lane | October 9, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I guess the base won't notice that they didn't answer the question?
Oh, right, they won't.

Posted by: Jen | October 9, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Rush response to mediamatters writing his words down.

"Go After the Media, Republicans

Some advice to candidates in the Matthews debate.

"

but I'm the bad guy. For holding him to the same account

Posted by: rufus | October 9, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"Pre-emptive strikes against Chris Matthews
Reported by Chrish - Tue 3:56 PMThe instances were too numerous to document on FOX and Friends this morning 10/09/07, but the Friends were in high form labeling MSNBC anchor Chris Matthews as a left-wing partisan before tonight's Republican debate, as FOX has been doing for several days. and Rest assured that any question that puts a candidate on the spot will be deemed evidence of his imaginary bias, or as Gretchen Carlson put it,
"

Posted by: ie spin and discredit. the gop way | October 9, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Yawn. Bring out the clowns...

Posted by: Jane | October 9, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

The sixth Republican debate kicked off Tuesday in Dearborn, Mich., with nine GOP presidential hopefuls taking the stage.

Who do you think won the Dearborn, Michigan MSNBC News Republican debate?

------------> http://www.youpolls.com/details.asp?pid=671

Posted by: PollM | October 9, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

"Romney denounced Ahmadinejad as a "buffoon" and a "rogue," adding a condemnation of the United Nations and Columbia University for extending invites to the man."

Followup question: Has the bar been lowered to buffoonery before we start dropping bombs?

Posted by: bsimon | October 9, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

'buffoon' -- the base will love it. the base is dumber than a box of rocks.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

translation: approval? we dont need no stinking approval!

Posted by: spartan | October 9, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse