Rudy Inks Top Fundraiser

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R) has named Anne Dunsmore as his deputy campaign manager for finance, inserting a well-known fundraiser into his presidential campaign's inner circle.

In a brief interview Dunsmore said her position has never existed before in a presidential campaign; "Fundraisaing has always been something that is critical but the technicians have never been at the table," she said.

Dunsmore has spent more than three decades raising money for Republican candidates. In 2000 and again in 2004 she was the California finance director for President Bush and in the re-election race was also a Ranger -- meaning that she raised $200,000 or more for the campaign.

Earlier in the cycle it was assumed that Dunsmore would be with former Gov. Mitt Romney (R-Mass.) in the 2008 race and The Fix had even -- mistakenly -- listed her as such in our "Whale List," but Dunsmore said she had never committed to Romney although she acknowledged the two became friends during Romney's chairmanship of the Republican Govenror's Association in 2006.

Dunsmore will now bear primary responsibility for raising the $100 million (or more) Giuliani has said he will need to win the Republican nomination. "When you have $100 million situation hitting or missing by 10 percent is giant...it's a couple of states," she said.

By Chris Cillizza  |  May 8, 2007; 3:04 PM ET
Categories:  Eye on 2008
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John McCain's Inner Circle
Next: Edwards Hits Iowa Airwaves

Comments

"But, MikeB, have you looked at Hillary? I mean, really LOOKED at her? Those flat steely eyes, now slightly hidden behind wrinkly jowls, but still lethal in their monotony... that '80's haircut... the triceps swinging to + fro like mud flaps... the stained bridgework... the department store fashions... mmm, mmmm... mouthwatering, I tell you. It is all I can do to control my urges in public, and when we're alone..."

Hey lylepink doppelganger, all of this is fine except making fun of Hillary's saggy upper arms. That is something that happens to most of us women as we get older. It's just as unfair as criticizing a man for getting bald.

But the other observations, fine, you go...

Posted by: Saggy triceped woman | May 9, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

...and your post is just whining, which also isn't relevant to the story. Thanks for contributing!

Posted by: Blarg | May 9, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to all of you. NONE of the posts above mine are relevant to the story.

Posted by: Silent Cal | May 9, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

MikeB: The term "Free Trade" is a wonderful thought that does not meet any test, nothing is free and if you think it is, think again. Look at what happened shortly after the bill became law. The multi-world corps went to Mexico for the cheap labor just as the Farmers, Construction, Hotel-Motel, Food service, Lawn and Garden, Home care, Nursing homes, and so many others do here in our country. MONEY is the driving force, always has been, always will be. This is the real world, not some la la land that some wish for.

Posted by: lylepink | May 8, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylepink | May 8, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Democrat. A registered Democrat and a Party worker here in liberal Oregon. I supported and campaigned for John Kerry. Before im, I worked for Alan Gore. I worked for and supported Democratic candidates at every level, state, county, and local. I also voted for Bill Clinton, but I regret it. It was under his Presidency that the H1B visa was began and the L1 visa was altered from a training visa to a type of foreign guest worker. It was also under Clinton that NAFTA was passed. These various globalization trends have done more harm to the world than all of the wars fought in history and I strongly believe that they will be responsible for the next global conflict. The uest worker visa's have resulted in the wholesale export of technologies and jobs, our very means of survival. They have been replaced by unfettered greed on a level few times witnessed in history, by corruption, and by whole nations living life on the edge of the wave of the moment.

As for Mr. Clinton, it gets worse. He was paid or his work with the two Indian pharmacetical companies. The "humanitarian" work of getting these companies to accept $1 per dose for the AIDS drugs they make is nothing more than a public relations ploy. That price was their initial offering, a take it or leave it slap in the face, to the governments of Brazil, Thailand, and other countries. It was already rejected and the countries involved are having the drugs manufactured locally. All of the garbage you are reding in the newspapers is merely those companies and several U.S. comapnies, positioning themselves for a lawsuit in front of the WTO. I find it despicable and more than a little troubling that the Clinton's would lend their names to this sort of corporate hard ball cynacism. This, especially the day ater the U.S. Senate rejected legislation that would hve permitted U.S. citizens from purchasing drugs from *European* parmacies at about 1/4 of what they would be available for in the U.S. I want you and others to realize that not all of our Democrats believe in the rights of citizens over corporate profits. The Senate was reported to have sold out yesterday. Bill Clinton was reported to have sold out today. Both to the pharmaceutical industry. They chose profits and corporate ties over ordinary working men and women.

Posted by: MikeB | May 8, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

MikeB: I am having trouble understanding what your "Party" is. Surely it is not dem or repub, lib I can't see either, green, no way, how many others are there, I have no idea. I hope you will at least give me a clue since I have apparently forgotten if you have indeed offered your party preference.

Posted by: lylepink | May 8, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

lylepink - Then what would you have me do? Ignore it? Simply shut up and not point out the hypocracy of Clinton's actions? Those news stories, in the BBC and elsewhere, are the reported fact of the case. Everyone understands that it is tantimount to treason to criticize any fellow Democrat, but I genuinely do n ot trust either of the Clinton's. They are both publicly committed free traders and globalizers and are, therefore, much more in tune with the Republican Party than with my party.

Posted by: MikeB | May 8, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

MikeB: Your reference to a story, blog, etc., to futher your arguement is something I totally disagree with. When you don't have a valid arguement, for or against, anything that is being discussed you, and folk like you, use this tactic. Why in He double ll can't you folk think for your selfs??

Posted by: lylepink | May 8, 2007 7:17 PM | Report abuse

These last few posts are typical of the "Wing Nuts" and "Wackos" that come out anytime my favorite, Hillary is mentioned. I cannot figure it out yet, but on another forum I made, just about the same point. Face it you doubting thomas's Hillary is going to be our next POTUS. How great thou are, for those that know.

Posted by: lylepink | May 8, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

US President Tim Kalemkarian, US Senate Tim Kalemkarian, US House Tim Kalemkarian: best major candidate.

Posted by: anonymous | May 8, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

did someone mention nazi. I have loads to say about that. Oh wait, it was me. I'll say it anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

We always lose major elections so we only have cheap push polls to prop us up. can you please ignore the French and german elections so we can harp on defeat of others for a while. We were supposed to win in 2000 and 2004 but we were victimized by clever repubs, not that any of them are clever. they are dumb. see?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I make up my own numbers that are convenient to me. I took a consensus and everyone in my cube farm agreed. If i keep chanting bush is a nazi, eventually someone will believe. Just look at all the lies the voters swallowed right before the last election if you don't believe me. we don't need facts when we have the press.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Among those not affiliated with either major party, 49% favor a veto while 35% are opposed

about that 28%, I always know when Libs quote a number it is a fake. If you scream really loudly that you are right....you still aren't.

Forty-nine percent (49%) say that setting a timetable for withdrawal will make the U.S. soldiers in Iraq less safe

Posted by: Trotsky | May 8, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I was the one who still supported Carter when he hit 28%. Of course, back then we didn't have any troubles did we? I loved the aggressive stance Carter took when that rabbit attacked him. If only the terrorists were as fearsome as that rabbit. all we need to do is to put on our cardigans and head into the bomb shelter. they can't get us there.

we are now hoping for a comeback with another super liberal. that way we can wreck the economy which will teach those rich guys a lesson and eliminate the envy fo the terrorists. Once they see how pitiful we are with no rich people, they will leave us alone.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Thank you greg, we jihadists couldn't survive long without your hopeful comments on americas defeat. please keep it up and louder would be better. we are running out of supplies and may need to return to Iran soon if the US marines don't go home. As you know, we will set up training camps as soon as you leave so we will be seeing each other pretty quickly after that at your local airport. I am wishing for the kindergarten assignment myself although the shopping mall or metro would suit me just fine.

Posted by: Sand flea | May 8, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

hello all, since im a cowardly troll who loves to derail threads with nonsensical tripe and shrill partisan facts. please please continue to make me look inept because i enjoy being the 28% of the population that still supports bush.

Posted by: Trotsky=sandflea=zouk | May 8, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Blarg, be that as it may, this was not the altruistic gesture on bahlf of the world's poor, the way it is being portrayed in the American media. It was the actions of an Amercian politician, on behalf of a couple of huge pharmaceutical outfits (Indian ones at that). As for suits, they would have been in the WTO, which permits countries to do exactly what Thailand and Brazil have done. The giant drug companies are merely insuring their bottom line, they haven't given one cent of their hard line prices they originally quoted. Those companies are an international cartel and control drug prices. Free trade, once again, has been shown to be a complete joke...as have the actions of free trade politcian's who support them.

Posted by: MikeB | May 8, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"what he accomplished in his 8 years in office"

hardy har har. Like what?, intern appreciation day, hide the cigar games. the only "accomplishment " was welfare reform, after vetoing it twice and fearing dole in the reelection. then there was that one year war in bosnia with no congressional vote, no UN vote, no US interests, did I say one year, no he said one year. Still there. he did accomplish the hollowing out of the US military and broadcasting to the world that we are supine. and that whole missiles sold to china thing for campaign contributions. that was something.

Posted by: Trotsky | May 8, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey Proud, your comment on Bill Clinton's popularity "bouncing back" made me bust out laughing. Seriously--Clinton on his lowest day can't touch the unpopularity that Bush has "enjoyed" for months.

And by the way, rallying the Republican base will be pretty hard in 08 when the base implodes as the Republican timeline for the surge expires. Enjoy your summer, Proud, come September the Republicans will enter the political wilderness.

Posted by: Greg-G | May 8, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

MikeB, it was Bill Clinton, not Hillary. And even if this was a compromise position, it's better than the alternative, which would be pharmaceutical companies suing the poor countries. That wouldn't have been good for anyone.

Posted by: Blarg | May 8, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"The obvious reason that Bubba is the best liked pol is what he accomplished in his 8 years in office."

lylepink - What is obvious is that Bill Clinton has enjoyed much greater success post-presidency than he ever did as CIC.

Coupled with the amazingly short-term memory of libs, his popularity has bounced back as he capitalizes on natural disasters and the like, partnering with some equally powerful folks like GHWB.

However, the unimaginable horror of Bill Clinton back in the White House will rally the R base like nothing else- don't kid yourself.

Posted by: proudtobeGOP | May 8, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

| May 8, 2007 03:07 PM - I am not disparaging your post, but you cannot believe everything you read in the media. Hillary's actions are apparently on behalf of the pharaceutical industry. What happened was, several countries, mostly poor African and Asian countries but also Brazil, had tried to negotiate with these pharaceutical outfits about lowering the cost of AID's drugs. When the companies wouldn't budge, they used an international law that permits them to have the drugs made by drug manufacturers. The price point that Brazil was shooting for was 65 cents per dose. The drug companies countered with the $1 per dose figure. Hillary Clinton's actions are on behalf of those phamaceutical companies, NOT on behalf of the desparately ill and poor people who otherwise couldn't afford those drugs. Here is a link to one of a series of stories on this: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070504/brazil_aids_drug.html?.v=4

Posted by: MikeB | May 8, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Chris - Tom Allen just announced that he is officially in the race for the US Senate out of Maine

Posted by: Amod Damle | May 8, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

peter dc: The obvious reason that Bubba is the best liked pol is what he accomplished in his 8 years in office. Some things I disagreed with in his Administration and said so in letters to him. Mainly he did a great deal for the poor folk. Hillary has always been a champion of the poor going back to her childhood. These are things most of the pundit class do not discuss because they were never in the "Poor" category.

Posted by: lylepink | May 8, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

koz is 'sand flea'. just so you know. it's so laughable...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

We do not like anything american my liberal friend. In that feeling we share everything with you. thanks for your support, we couldn't win without your constant impulse to surrender. we will kill you last as repayment. And we won't make your kids watch. We are that much in debt to you. spread the news.

Posted by: Sand flea | May 8, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Over the weekend, the second-highest ranking member of al Qaeda called Democrat-led initiatives to end the war symbols of American defeat in Iraq.

nice try, if you bothered to watch the rest of the tape, al queda's number 2 man, belittled the troop surge in iraq, also invited bush for glass of juice in the iraqi parliment building(it was attacked in the seemingly safe green zone days earlier)

but facts never got in your way huh sandflea(zouk)

Posted by: sandflea's anonymous stalker | May 8, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Excellent presidential campaign coverage: http://www.solidpolitics.com

Posted by: William | May 8, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

thank you american jackasses. We have no hope of victory without the help of dingy harry reid and general pelosi. We fear US marines but know that you comrades from the left will insure our victory and the big al queda fire in your cities. allah akbar!!

Posted by: Sand flea | May 8, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I was spying on the enemy while working at that hedge fund. I am a double nought agent you know. My stance on the war is to collect intel from al queda. they like me now and are trusting me more and more. My big house is just my cover. I am a greeting card salesman if anyone asks. My enemy is wall street and my friend is al queda.

Posted by: Edwards | May 8, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Bill Clinton has always been someone who gets something done. This is a great achievement for him and his foudation.

It also shows why Bill Clinton is the best liked politician in the nation at this time.

He will make a difference in Hillary's campaign on a positive side.

Posted by: peter dc | May 8, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

'NEW YORK (AP) -- Former President Bill Clinton announced agreements with drug companies Tuesday to lower the price of so-called "second-line" AIDS drugs for people in the developing world and to make a once-a-day AIDS pill available for less than $1 a day.

The anti-retroviral drugs are needed by patients who develop resistance to first-line treatment and currently cost 10 times as much as first-line therapy, Clinton said. Nearly half a million patients will require these drugs by 2010.

Clinton's foundation negotiated agreements with generic drug makers Cipla Ltd. and Matrix Laboratories Ltd. that he said would mean an average savings of 50 percent in low-income countries and 25 percent in middle-income countries. He said the companies collaborated with the foundation to lower production costs, in part by securing lower prices for raw materials.'

Someone who actually gets something done for the human race. Note: not a republican.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse