A Comments Change for The Fix

As regular Fix readers know, we are always trying to make this blog better; from FixCam to Wag the Blog to the Friday Line we are always trying to raise the bar for ourselves and this community.

With that in mind, we are now asking everyone to register with washingtonpost.com before they can continue to comment on the blog. Many of our blogs already require registration and we thought it made sense to do the same for The Fix.

Why? Over the last few months we've noticed the number of off-topic comments has risen considerably. While we want The Fix to be an open forum where political junkies of all partisan (and non-partisan stripes) can feel welcome, we don't want a few people posting random, long, anonymous missives that are consistently off-topic and tend to slow down the entire discussion.

To be clear: this is not a top-down decision. A number of regular commenters e-mailed me over the past few weeks asking for something like this to be put in place. The people have spoken.

In practical terms, this shouldn't affect your experience with The Fix all that much. Register once and you are free to comment until your heart's content. And, please do comment -- your ideas and observations help make The Fix a great place to come for smart political discussion!

By Chris Cillizza  |  October 10, 2007; 4:07 PM ET
Categories:  Fix Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wag the Blog: Are GOP Attacks Helping Hillary?
Next: The GOP Field's Dirty Little Iowa Secret

Comments

Good, maybe we'll stop getting multiple comments from the same guy,just a different name. Looks like Bushco is going to have to hire a few more "commentors" now. Kool-aid is cheap so I'm sure they'll find a few.

Posted by: jime2000 | October 11, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Just testing

Posted by: mjames2 | October 11, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dcgrasso1 | October 11, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Will I still be able to refer to republicans as barbarians?
And attempt to start a pool to guess the date that Tony SnowJob dies? (5$ a guess)

Posted by: kase | October 11, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

CC,
Thanks. I lose my "!" but I feel confident between what remains of my moniker and the substance (or lack thereof for some people) of my posts, I should be readily identifiable. [the artist formerly know as Dave!]

Posted by: dave | October 11, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

I actually finished reading comments not having to deal with the superfluous anonymous spamming...this is definitely an improvement. Now I feel as if I can be a part of a conversation.

Posted by: beeyawn | October 11, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

This is a great idea.

Posted by: Normscoffee | October 11, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

lyle, thanks for the encouraging word. Mike Brooks's personal attack on you was egregious and one of the low points in recent memory on this web log.

His point of view that free trade gives away the nation is always worth attending to, but his emotional desire to label free traders as less than human is not.

Everyone: Have you noticed that there are fewer cut-and-pastes? I believe that the registration is WORKING.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | October 11, 2007 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Judge, Mark, Drindl, I still live...! Just buried in work this week.

I was also waiting for the registration to kick in...and it finally does, but so far, it doesn't seem to have changed much. The juveniles still name call.

More when I come up for air...good to see that most of us love the registration requirement.

P.S. Mark wasn't the only one who complained about the nonsensical drivel that was proliferating.

Posted by: femalenick | October 11, 2007 4:07 AM | Report abuse

Seems to be working out well. I've checked a few times to see how it was working. A+ so far.

Posted by: lylepink | October 11, 2007 3:19 AM | Report abuse

?

Posted by: pip4prez123 | October 11, 2007 2:13 AM | Report abuse

Chris,

Thanks for your work on this blog and your attention to this matter. I really enjoy reading The Fix.

Posted by: Lloth8 | October 11, 2007 1:43 AM | Report abuse

Thank you CC. Although I don't hold out hope for some here to grow up and learn some manners, I hope this makes it more civil.

Posted by: cbl-pdx | October 11, 2007 1:21 AM | Report abuse

well, guess I'm stuck with using the user ID for this, what a shame, unlike many of the GOPers, I liked posting with my actual name. I approve of the new registration CC but its not going to work in the long run. Those who have always wished to detroy the conversation will still be able to do it.

Posted by: skywrnchsr509 | October 10, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Thank god. I hope this puts an end to spam and anonymous comments.

Posted by: jon.morgan.1999 | October 10, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

this is, like, oh, chumming....,

and njoyng watching the waters roil....

Posted by: Pogoagain | October 10, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Anything that makes this into a more meaningful discourse will do. I actually think that your change of registration/ identification will give voice to those who have something meaningful to say and exclude those who have not.

Posted by: bn1123 | October 10, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the commenteriat for this blog is just sad. It's like a hurricane of partisan rage inside a goldfish bowl. Too bad a comment rating system (ala youtube comments) wouldn't work since that fill-in-the-blank-zouk guy would just vote down every opposing comment with his army of user accounts.

To add irony to insult, I was forced to create another account to make this comment because (apparently) my washingtonpost user ID has too many characters to autopopulate the now absent name field. Way to go sloppy web design!

Posted by: pwemail21 | October 10, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

mark-in-austin: Or Mark in Austin, whatever, we know who you are, not like some others, one in particuliar, that I found, and I think you also know who I mean. Blarg: It is a problem for those that have slandered others here, and posted mostly hate.

Posted by: lylepink | October 10, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for improving a site I check every day. I'd like to add my $.02: Post the Senate line every week. The races are volitile, but it is interesting to see how things change.

Mike

Posted by: mikedow | October 10, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

This lurker thanks you, CC. Heck, I might even toss in my $.02 occasionally now.

Posted by: novamatt | October 10, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

MikeB, I didn't impose any rules on this forum. I don't work for washingtonpost.com. The people who do work for the site imposed the rules, because it's their forum and they can do so. You post on other blogs on this site that require registration; how is this any different?

I seriously don't see how anyone can get upset over this. Practically every web forum I've seen requires registration in some way. Somehow, the users there deal with it. As you yourself have dealt with it on other sites. Why is this a problem?

Posted by: Blarg | October 10, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Zach here. Thanks CC.

Posted by: zmeunier | October 10, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't look like the comments changed one whit.

Posted by: cactusflinthead | October 10, 2007 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Mike, I only use "Mark in Austin" or an easily recognized variant, "mark_in_austin", where my email handle is required.

Look, for example, at "Bench Conference", Oct. 3, at 8:51A.,or "The Trail" Oct.9, at 8:51A.

I have seen your posts occasionally at the NYT web log but I have never posted there, to my recollection.

I take it from your post that you prefer web logs that do not require registration and that you think there is a veneer of privacy to your ip if you can post under various handles.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | October 10, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Mark. The reason you see my name, th same on any post anywhere, is becasue I don't feel the need to pretend to be someone else. A quick check of Mark-In -Austin, lylepunk, and roo (or, more appropriately "oaf") and variations thereof, only show those names here. So, what/who are you elsewhere?

Posted by: mibrooks27 | October 10, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Nazi's were right-wings buddy. As was mccarthy. Your complaints and lies fall on deaf eyes. Mark in austin is a gop. He is from texas. Texas, the home for the, I'll be nice.

Mark is a gop'er. He is responsible for this. Just so people don't think liberals did this to this site. It was the gop and the moderates like blarg

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Mark, Blarg, and the rest of you "liberals" - I just want it noted here that it was you "liberals" that decided to impose your rules on this forum. You are the nastiest collection of neo-Nazi swine to come down the pike in quite some time. Of course, at some point, this will come home to roost and you will whine and moan about "privacy". The most likely thing I see happening is the government or some collection of hackers gaining access to the email list of the Post and cross referencing that with you posting names. The most likely people I see doing this are those Democratic leaders you all love so much, especially Hillary. Idiots.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | October 10, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

"They want to listen to us."

Silence us. That is

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

To me. The patriot act is about getting a grip on the internet and the telecom industry. They want to arrest people like me for being anti-war. They want to listen to us. And before you say "The government doesn't do that". Remember what they did to John Lennon. Remember what they did to martin luther king, malcolm X. All the leftists of the 60's. What has changed? aRe they less likely to do what they did in those days or more likely. But I'm the bad guy. My goal is to shut you down gop. Fear me, if you must. Just know I am not the bad guy. If I am the bad guy, america is not worth living in anymore. The gop and teh moderates siding with them are the bad people. The only way you can silecne me is to take me out. I'm still standing here. I'm not scared. Do what you will. i am a child of god. Whatever you do to me, you will have to answer to my Lord.

"If God is with me, who can be agaisnt me?"

I will never stop, until my gaols acheive fruition. I'm so close. I'm not stopping now, because some coward like Mark in austin get's offened by my posts. Or he has to scroll through them. ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY? What plaent are you living on?

If I have to form the party myelf it's happening. you have lost already. You don't know it.

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I commended CC on the other thread, now I will have to go back and see if it was posted.

Posted by: lylepink | October 10, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Let's just close down the internet. It's to free. Let's just close it down. To many people are posting what they want. Let's formulate the radio, media news so only righ twing propoganda can get out to the populance. THat's america. That's the ticket. Shut the internet down. It's better than leftist ruinging the next generation of fascists. Right gop

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

"CC, I wholeheartedly applaud your decision. I'd like to make one additional request - one comment per article or blog entry per machine. Not per user - as afraidofme, and his ilk, will just get multiple ID's."

WOWO. ruining this site is not enough. YOU got MORE complaints and suggestions. And I'm the bad guy for call you fascists. Why not ,mark in austin, blarg zouk, why not create your own world and own site. you can make up all the imagianry rules you want. Then others who liked FREEDOM, you know freedom, what this coutnry was founded on, can post their ideas with all your bull fascist rules and laws. That you decide on a whime

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey, everybody. It looks like this may have some success at minimizing the nutjobs, although there are still apparently ways around it...

Posted by: bokonon_ | October 10, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Who is this guy mccarthy the gop is talking about. Everything the left does is Mccarthyism. Who is he?

;)

those filthy liberals. Those filthy left-wing fascist that have never existed until america 2003. HAHAHAHA.

you republcains are funny. Mccarthy was a repub. Fascism is a RIGHT-WING movement. These lies only work on the willfully ignorant who are conent being mindless "dittoheads". Does't work on the rest of the population or the rest of the world. You gop'ers look like fools to the rest of the world. Unfortunatly, all america suffers for the gop'ers willfull dumb down and ignorance. i wish the gop not only got the beniefets (like they are now) or war, but also had to pay the whole price themselves. deosn't work that way does it. AMERICA has to cash the checks these FASCISTS write. And you can't eliminate that word. As much as you hate it. You are, not by what you say, but what you do. THE GOP ARE FASCISTS.

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

No, Mike, I don't particularly want you to try. The point is that it now requires a lot more effort for you to register and repeatedly sign in as multiple users. You can do it if you want, but that says more about you than it does about the registration policy.

Posted by: Blarg | October 10, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

No, Mike, I want you to act like the serious adult you are.

"The Trail", where I believe you have posted before, does not attract the cut-and-paste brigade, and registration allows the WaPo a better handle on limiting junk posts.

I do not know why you would think it was OK for the NYT and other web logs at WaPo to enforce registration, but that it is somehow limiting for "The Fix" to do so.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | October 10, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

CC, I wholeheartedly applaud your decision. I'd like to make one additional request - one comment per article or blog entry per machine. Not per user - as afraidofme, and his ilk, will just get multiple ID's. There is no point in allowing multiple entries per PC as everyone, or close enough, uses their own PC these days. This will allow people to make their comment but prevent the kind of name calling arguments that develop in the comments. I hope you will consider this. Also, I think you should be able to delete off topic remarks, advertisements for other web sites and campaign material. The comments here are really good many times, Right and Left, Dem and Rep, but these crazies are ruining it and making it difficult to sift through to people who actually have something to say about the post.

Posted by: JimSheridan | October 10, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Blarg, Mark In Austin - I thought you two were engineers? Do you really thin this can stop people from posting, using multiple names? I can spend the next ten minutes and pop up with three alias' and post under them. Want me to try?

Posted by: mibrooks27 | October 10, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh KOZ, great response. The washington post adopting a sign in policy, as a private company, is EXACTLY like "top-down" "big government" regulation. Can't believe I didn't think of that analogy myself. Out of curiosity, are you enjoying signing out and then signing back in under other "names" the entire day? Definitely a good sign for the fullness of your life.

Oh, and another really good "Hillary attack" as a substitute for facing electoral reality. Since I don't particularly like Hillary, of course, it's not really on point but lets examine this fun little fact.

Rudy attacks Hillary for espousing ideas that are l"ike McGovern's." Rudy is reminded that he voted for and supported McGovern. KOZ reponds...well...that Hillary stinks.

Here's a question that I'll leave you with, as I know you still have 40 minutes left in your shift, whereas I am off to socialize with actual human beings: Do your number of sign ons exceed or equal the number of Rudy's wives? Regardless, please connect your answer to 9/11 and how it changed the number of your wives.

Thanks.

Posted by: _Colin | October 10, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

But I guess in Lib world that pointing out facts ruins the conversation."

If he was pointing out facts he would not post as anon and differant names would he. The FACTS would stand for themselves. The gop in full view for independant thinkers. Lie spin and discredit is their game.

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, if you feel like signing in and out every time you make a post, and registering multiple times with different email addresses, you can post as more than one name."

Right. This site is play tiem for zouk. But the gop loves to point the finger at me. It should show independat thinkers it is the content of my posts they FEAR. No high ground, no laws. The content. What happened to competing in the marketplace of ideas.

You gop'ers ARE pathetic. At lease now you see zouk is the problem. I am just a passionate patriot, trying to break your chains. But I can take your hate and pain from you. I am a christian man. I can do that for you. But I don't have to respect you

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Thank you.

Posted by: roo | October 10, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

_Colin - have you _developed a _stutter?

I am simply pointing out the utter inanity of the proposed solution to the fix's problem. don't you Libs know by now that top down, big government, censorship and management are doomed to failure? why do you think social security is a flop, why are the government schools losers? Why is socialized medicine a non-starter?

It is as obvious as the fix to the fix.

But I guess in Lib world that pointing out facts ruins the conversation. you are going to have tough sledding when hillary finally gets asked a question she can't dodge for the tenth time.

such as: Hillary - where will the $5000 bond for the newborns reside? Is there a trust fund like social security where all the free-spending Dems can get at it without putting in the budget? will it pay 1% return like my SS "trust fund" does? who gets it if I die? how many votes did your push poll say you'll get for this idea?

Posted by: kingofzouk | October 10, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

FemaleNick: are you still out there? Not much seems to have changed here.

Posted by: judgeccrater | October 10, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes, if you feel like signing in and out every time you make a post, and registering multiple times with different email addresses, you can post as more than one name. That's a great way to show everyone just how pathetic you are.

Posted by: Blarg | October 10, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

guess who. I'll give you a hint -

Hooooowwwwwllllllll.

Posted by: drindl | October 10, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Pretty big surprise that KOZ is still trying to destroy the conversation. I, for one, am shocked.

You can keep "colin" I suppose. Amazingly, communication is still possible even with your daring, brilliant, pitiful gambit KOZ. Oh the things you'll do to keep from thinking about the upcoming electoral disaster awaiting the GOP...

Posted by: _Colin | October 10, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I am currently collecting up the following names which I will offer for sale to the highest bidder. this will be a good lesson in capitalism and technology for you lefties:

For Sale:
drindl
loudon voter
progressive
colin
bokonon

See you on ebay

Posted by: kingofzouk | October 10, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, and I was all ready to come back to post but I see even with singin required people still call eachother cowards, fascists, traitors, libs and rethugs.

Posted by: DCAustinite | October 10, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Mark is destroying this site? He's one of the most intelligent and thoughtful posters here. And, I may add, he's posted here regularly far longer than you. So where do you get off saying that he's destroying the site?

Rufus, if you hate the site so much, just leave. Do yourself a favor and stop spending time with such horrible people. Nobody's forcing you to post here. Get a hobby. Get a job. Spend time with your family. Do something else with your time, if you don't want to be here. Alternately, stay here and stop complaining about the blog's management and other posters. Your choice.

Posted by: Blarg | October 10, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Have to agree with one person (Zouk?) who said this won't stop people from posting long rambling comments - unless it's actually monitored (and such posts removed).

However, the interesting thing for me in my recent visit to DC (and Bethesda MD) was in realizing Obama support is much stronger than you MSM types let on, and that distaste for the American-hating Red Bushies is far more than you admit.

Posted by: WillSeattle | October 10, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

By the way I don't see this as an effort to silence left or right. I think the new rule is aimed at the obnoxious, regardless of belief. Particularly tiresome are the personal p---ing matches between obnoxious bloggers that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Posted by: AlaninMissoula | October 10, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

zouk. It was mark IN AUSTIN, the gop parrot of this site, that did this.

Because he thought I was the problem. Boy, was he mislead. It is his own destroying this site. Hypocrite gop

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making this comments section for registered users only. I'd mostly given up on The Fix a few months ago due to the obnoxious, off-topic screeds written by people who are apparently unaware of how easy it would be to just start their own blog.

Feel free to just ban or block users who repeatedly post off-topic rants as if this were their own blog. I won't be offended.

Posted by: JacksonLanders | October 10, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, what do you know. It turns out you can sign in under as many different names as you like.

One minute I am kingofzouk, the next, I am zoukrules.

so the added burden has no effect except to please the moonbat mutual admiration society.

they cry out - do something. except the something doesn't work, it annoys normal people and creates a new level of bureacracy.

What a model of how Lib society functions.

Posted by: kingofzouk | October 10, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I know you gop'ers like to make your own rules. Lay them out for me mark so i can find the loopholes. Lay ou the rules I am to follow, but the right doesn't have to.

Hypocrites.

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Good move Chris. I hope this does slow down the mega bloggers. I love to discuss politics with anyone of any belief, but there are those who do nothing but weigh down this blog with long posts carrying some personal agenda.

Posted by: AlaninMissoula | October 10, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

www.crooksandliars.

the above 5:25. I don't want blarg to turn me in to his patriot act cronies. they have nothing better to do with their time that attack and silence the left in this country, anyway.

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Let's test it out mark. Am i allowed to post .... This:

"Countdown: Bush White House Eager To Brag to FOXNews; Unconcerned with National Security
By: Nicole Belle @ 12:45 PM - PDT

Download (1006) | Play (1255) Download (515) | Play (632) (h/t Heather)

Steve blogged about this yesterday, but this is such an egregious violation of national security that it does not deserve to get shoved down the memory hole by the traditional media who simply catalogue one outrage after the next without connecting the dots or making sure that their viewers realize what's happening. Thankfully, Keith Olbermann does neither, carefully contextualizing the point that we liberal blogs have been saying for years: The Bush administration only cares to ratchet up the fear to serve their purposes, not protect the citizens of this country.

Keith then speaks with terrorism expert Evan Kohlmann on the long-term damage inflicted by the Bush Administration's need to show that they are doing something in the "War on Terror", if only to lie to their base again.

Download (411) | Play (399) Download (203) | Play (186)

And to the people (I use that term loosely) at FOX News? There is no point in denying it. You collectively ARE Pravda. You are nothing more than the official state propaganda office masquerading as a "news" service.

"

Or is that a no no. What can i do and not do mark in austin. Since you are now running this site.

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cillizza, thank you.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | October 10, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The people who make long pasted posts under multiple names hate the new system. That alone shows that it's a worthwhile change.

Posted by: Blarg | October 10, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

zouk seems scared/ What's the matter zouk? you can't play you divide and conquer, sabotage the conversation game anymore. you have to post as zouk. So scary.

do you think you are doing good in your mind? How do you justify wha tyou do? How do you gop'ers justify waging war agaisnt your own country? I really want to knwo zouk. MAybe you can convince me to be a goper. :)

What do you want from this site? Fun time attack liberals? What do you have for yourself, here? What good are you doing in the world? how are you helping your country? Is that you goal? Enlighten me.

According to mark in austin we can have "real" conversations now. What has changed?

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

What you really want is to silecne truth and the internet. It's not about registration. It's not about "knowing who's here". It's about silecning the only place the left has. THE INTERNET. The right has radio. The right OWNS cable news. No one owns the internet. How to fix this how to fix this, says the gop. The patriot act. Registration. Silence the left. Who on the right has been silenced? does the right get it's points out? Yes. Is the right represtened in this country? Yes. The left? You be the judge. You goper's are cowards. No amount of silencing us wil;l stop us. You can close the internet. You still can't stop us. The ideals we hold, the ideals this coutnry was founded on will always be with us. No matter how many rules and laws you make to silence us. We hold the teaches close to our hearts. How will you silence that? All you can do is paint us as carzies to the dittohead nation. The more the ignorant know, the more your plan falls apart.

What did Princess Leia say " The tighter you apply your (fascist) gripe, the more freedom fighters will slip through your fingers." Something like that.

Fascism will never win. You have already lost. The intellecual battle has already been fought. You fascists lost. You may hold us down for the short term. But you will never win long term.

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

bsimon: yeah, I saw that. Oh well, at least he's going to be easier to identify and scroll past. We no longer need to waste precious microseconds looking for the tell-tale perjoratives whenever an apparently 'new' poster shows up. It should also cut down on the Drudge-based traffic since most of them will be far too paranoid to register.

Posted by: judgeccrater | October 10, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

the only correction this will do is to block posting under another's name and there was really only a single individual who did that from time to time. so the stated goal:

"we don't want a few people posting random, long, anonymous missives that are consistently off-topic and tend to slow down the entire discussion."

has not been dealt with in any way. a typical Liberal big government solution that misses the problem completely and stifles free speech from occasional visitors who can't be bothered to register.

so now we have an organized Liberal mutual admiration society for the few who visit every day and share the same stale opinions. And in Lib world that is a grand improvement. I will observe and judge but expect the Fix to turn into the rufas, drindl, IC, Loud and Dumb Kos mirror site.

Chris, when your audience exactly mimics Keith Olbermanns in style and number, remember I warned you. you should have modeled O"Reilly instead. Pithy and intelligent beats angry and emotional any day.

Posted by: zoukrules | October 10, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

cowards. Are you still there mark in austin? Or did you merly want to impose your facist "silence the left " agenda. This blog has five regular posters as it is, if you don't count zouk and his 15 multiple personalities. I predict registration will kill this blog. That is my prediction. But I guess no "THe FIx" is better than people posting their mind. Isn't it gop? Cowards. Fascists propogandists.

And this post is on topic, befor eyou all whine and complain

Posted by: RUFUS11_33 | October 10, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"bsimon: me? Cite market forces as proof of something? Morbleu!I'm insulted!

It's either JD or KOZ."

Yeah, well, I can't say it was a well-thought out guess. FYI, a 'zoukrules' already posted...

Posted by: bsimon | October 10, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

bsimon: me? Cite market forces as proof of something? Morbleu!I'm insulted!

It's either JD or KOZ. And if it's the former I apologize for the latter guess.

Anyway, I was also one of CC's correspondents; he replied and said this was coming so I registered under my moniker days ago.

Posted by: judgeccrater | October 10, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

zoukrules - For once, I agree with you. The Clinton peanut gallery here is evidently experimenting with ways of stifling opinions with which they disagree. Of course, many of them are so stupid they wont be able to figure out how to register (and will forget their passwords once they do), so that gambit might just backfire.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | October 10, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

"(Anyone want to guess what ID I used under the old posting scheme?)"

Judge C Crater

Posted by: bsimon | October 10, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, MikeB had been grabbed by someone else! Surprise, surprise, I woinder who has been posting under my name? Oh well, I used to post under MikeB....at least most of those posts here were me. I can't wait to see who & what the registered MikeB says....

Posted by: mibrooks27 | October 10, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic! The market has spoken.

(Anyone want to guess what ID I used under the old posting scheme?)

Posted by: pokerngolf | October 10, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"random, long, anonymous missives that are consistently off-topic and tend to slow down the entire discussion."

so now we can post random, long, credited missives that are consistently off-topic and tend to slow down the entire discussion.

I am not exactly sure how that fixes the fix. the rufas problem will still be with us and the Ignorant coward will simply now be known as X. nice try but I don't see it working. che will sign in and post the usual. so we now have an added layer of government control with no benefit.

Why do you moonbats try to solve problems by stomping on speech. you just can't help yourselves, can you?

Posted by: zoukrules | October 10, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Good move, Chirs. Don't want a bunch of crazies sounding off or folks posting blatant plugs
- like this one -
on the blog.

Posted by: parkerfl | October 10, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

As one of the people who was asking for this change, I'd like to say thanks. I think this will really improve the site without interfering with conversation. The only possible problem I see is that some people won't have their user IDs match their normal post names. But that's easy enough to fix by registering again and creating a new ID.

Posted by: Blarg | October 10, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Well done. I hope this move helps reduce the chaff.

Posted by: bsimon | October 10, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse