Chatting on Mass. Senate, Citizens United and professional wrestling

We spent an hour chatting live online today about what Sen.-elect Scott Brown's (R) victory on Tuesday means for health care and the 2010 elections, the impact of the Supreme Court's ruling yesterday on the Citizens United case and, in one of the biggest non sequiturs you will ever find, the best professional wrestlers of all time.

A few of our favorite questions and answers are below. You can always check out the full chat transcript and set a date with us every Friday morning from 11 am to noon.

Richmond, VA: How do you factor in the Supreme Court decision yesterday into November's races? Do you think some seats that looked safe will now be more vulnerable if a large corporate or union interest decides it's in it's better interest to dump obscene amounts of money into a candidate?

Thx. Dunkin Donuts regular..

Chris Cillizza: Love it.

Nothing better than a cruller and cup of Dunkin. Man I miss the northeast sometimes.

On the SCOTUS ruling, I think the basic effect will be to take power in campaigns away from candidates and party committees and hand it to outside interest groups.

While candidates and party committees have to abide by contribution limits, corporations and unions can now use unlimited sums of money to DIRECTLY advocate for the election or defeat of a candidate.

That is HUGE. (In the past, they could only run so-called "issue" ads, advocating for a particular issue but not directly asking for voters to cast a ballot for or against a candidate.)

What it means is there will be HUGE amounts of money poured into campaign ads during this campaign. HUGE.

Anonymous: I was in the camp of "This is a national election"

For one, because of electoral college, even the race for U.S. President isn't a national election.

But the more and more I read about Martha Coakley's campaign, the more I think she deserve more and more of the blame. This was a woman who polled her chances of winning before Edward M. Kennedy had died and the announced she was running with 2 weeks of his death. That put of the Kennedy family and the Democratic establishment.

Boston talk radio was in the bag for Scott Brown and he pretty much got 24 advertising from them while only one show. Coakley didn't spend a penny on advertising in Latino or Black media markets. She didn't call Boston Mayor Menino or any of the U.S. Representatives until a week before Election Day. And there are rumors that Mayor Menino purposely kept quiet on the race, not because she was going to lose, but he wanted her to lose.

Chris Cillizza: I DO think Coakley ran a poor campaign -- sort of hard to dispute that.

But, I think to say the President and his agenda had NOTHING to do with the race is beyond implausible.

Scott Brown ran overtly as a check and balance to the Obama agenda in Washington; at his victory speech people were chanting "41" to signify his status as the vote that kept Democrats from a filibuster proof majority.

In a race that draws as much national attention and money as this one did, there's no ONE thing that causes a candidate to win or lose.

Arlington: Hulk Hogan is clearly the #1 wrestler. As the French would say, come on now.

Chris Cillizza: Dude could not wrestle a lick. The leg drop as a finishing move? COME ON.

My top 3: 1. Flair 2. Bret Hart 3. Shawn Michaels

By Chris Cillizza  |  January 22, 2010; 6:00 PM ET
Categories:  Fix Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Five myths about the Massachusetts Senate election
Next: Plouffe stepping up role as adviser to White House

Comments

Nothing going on in the article...,sigh. as per for the corporate news owned now by blah blah blah The Republic is back stronger and democray, always a joke, is still, and offically, a therory.

Chirs donate your over paid salary to Hattians as you did nothing to deserve it.

Posted by: crrobin | January 23, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Chris:

You have to wonder what has been going on on this blog - all these posters leave TOGETHER - it has to be coordinated - their hostility has certainly been coordinated - maybe it was just a few people posting under multiple names all along - there is something suspicious here and as you may be aware, I was saying the same thing starting 20 months ago.

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 23, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I think I understand the intellectual progeny of the liberals on the Fix much better now. If any subject is worthy of condescension it is pro wrestling.

Posted by: Moonbat | January 23, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

As a native Pittsburgher I must cast my vote for Bruno Samartino as my choice for bodyguard were I a candidate importuned by a singularly wearisome Weekly Standard flak. Er, I mean, for best pro wrestler.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | January 22, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

"Shout out to wrasslin'. Cena was great in "The Marine" and "12 Rounds." I once met Bruno Sammartino, the greatest of them all, and saw him defend his world title against Gorilla Monsoon in a real bloodfest.

Posted by: broadwayjoe"

Hah, I could have been an extra in 12 Rounds, but I figured there was no chance I'd end up seeing it and didn't want to burn a whole day. It was some scene where he is on some scaffolding on the side of a building, he gets shot, or shot at. Then he climbs down the scaffolding and jumps on to a firetruck that's sitting there. No idea if that actually made it into the movie.

Posted by: DDAWD | January 22, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I agree, CC, that there is nothing better than a cruller. Those things that DD tries to foist upon the public as a cruller

The next time you're in Boston, hit Twin Donut in Allston for the real thing. Verna's in Cambridge is awesome as well. We dropped by for donuts to take home on our way back from Boston over Inauguration weekend.

Relocating to DC has many advantages (pupusas! Peruvian chicken! Doro wat!), but I miss Boston donuts. Nothing better.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | January 22, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: broadwayjoe | January 22, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Blah, how disappointing to find out Chris C is a rasslin aficionado.

I actually saw John Cena when he was filming a movie called 12 Rounds. I didn't know who he was at the time. He was wearing a baggy tshirt for his role, so his musculature was concealed. It was strange, because from the neck down, he looked really overweight, but his face is incredibly chiseled.

Anyone see that movie?