Live Fix chat: Connecticut Senate, Sarah Palin and best of 2009 in music

We spent an hour this morning fielding question on politics, music, coffee and a variety of other subjects. It's the "Live Fix"! Catch it every Friday from here until eternity at 11 am eastern time. All the cool kids are doing it.

A few of our favorite calls and responses are below. The whole transcript is here.

Athens, Ga.: After what happened to Corzine, don't you think that the Democratic establishment will be much more decisive when it comes to pushing Chris Dodd to retirement?

Chris Cillizza: Absolutely.

As I wrote yesterday on the Fix, there appears to be a growing conventional wisdom that Dodd simply cannot be re-elected next year.

The Cook Political Report moved the race to "lean Republican" yesterday and Dodd allies have had to beat back retirement rumors that cropped up again in earnest this week.

I think Dodd's prominence within the party -- he was chaired the Deocratic National Committee and is a mainstay in the Senate -- means that the White House and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee will give him more leeway to make his own decision to step aside before they give him a push.

But it certainly feels like that push is coming...

Kirksville, Mo.: Have you been following the recent increase in volume about Sen. Blanche Lincoln get primary challenger to her left from Lt. Gov. Bill Halter.

Forget Sen. Lincoln for a second (it's easy if you try) and strictly from Lt. Gov. Halter's POV, does it makes sense to enter a primary?

Will Barack Obama and Joe Biden do the same thing for Sen. Lincoln as they did for Sen. Specter with an endorsement, stump speeches and fundraising?

Chris Cillizza: Halter is some who loves to have his name out there but I am not sure at the end of the day whether he really will do it and, even if he does, whether he can raise the money or build the organization to beat Sen. Lincoln.

I do think there is considerable unrest toward Lincoln among national liberals but it's less clear how large a faction of disgruntled Democratic base voters there are in Arkansas, which tends to be more conservative than the nation as a whole.

Whether or not Halter runs, Lincoln is in serious trouble next year in the general election. State Se. Gilbert Baker is the Republican frontrunner although Stanley Reed, former head of the Arkansas Farm Bureau, who just got into the race, could be formidable as well.

East Hampton, Conn.: I understand that your political trivia quiz was light on the politics. What gives, Fix?

Chris Cillizza: East Hampton in the House! Is that Ben Franklin's still there? (East Hampton is the town next to Marlborough where the ole Fix was raised.)

Thanks for the chance to plug "Politics and Pints", the Fix's political trivia night. The first one went down on Monday night and it rocked.

There were PLENTY of political questions like "What was the name of the Republican John Tanner beat to claim his House seat in 1988". There were also a few random questions -- "What Country were Mentos invented?" -- to keep things interesting. (Answers below.)

If you missed our first Politics and Pints, never fear. Send me an email at chris.cillizza@wpost.com with "Politics and Pints" in the subject line and I will personally alert you to the next one in early 2010.

1. Tanner beat Ed Bryant, later a Congressman and Senate candidate

2. The Netherlands.

By Chris Cillizza  |  December 11, 2009; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  Fix Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Governors Line: Change is the new normal
Next: Abercrombie to resign Hawaii seat

Comments

Posted by: JakeD | December 16, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

William Shatner and Sarah Pailin. Now THAT should have been an opening SNL sketch.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | December 12, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

(from her Facebook page):

Tonight Show Last Night

The Conan visit was fun – the best part was that we had Wounded Warriors with us in the audience. I can’t express how proud I am of their courage and patriotism.

I’m extremely happy that Laura Ingraham had the great idea to put the simple coat from the cover of my book to good use. It’s being auctioned to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project and the Fisher House. Laura pulled it all together with a live auction that continues through December 18th. Click here to see the auction and God Bless the U.S.A!

Posted by: JakeD | December 12, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Back on topic (Sarah Palin) did anyone else see her reading William Shatner's book on Conan O'Brien?

Posted by: JakeD | December 12, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

And when I say cowardly, misdirecting, insinuating, lacking integrity, I am referring solely to the comments you make, jaked. I have no idea what sort of a creature you are in real life, I know only what you choose to say here. Although your choices certainly give one grounds to wonder.

==

That jury's been back about four hundred lies ago.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 12, 2009 2:21 AM | Report abuse

"Trolling is a game about identity deception, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns; the newsgroups members, if they are cognizant of trolls and other identity deceptions, attempt to both distinguish real from trolling postings, and upon judging a poster a troll, make the offending poster leave the group. Their success at the former depends on how well they — and the troll — understand identity cues; their success at the latter depends on whether the troll's enjoyment is sufficiently diminished or outweighed by the costs imposed by the group.

Trolls can be costly in several ways. A troll can disrupt the discussion on a newsgroup, disseminate bad advice, and damage the feeling of trust in the newsgroup community. Furthermore, in a group that has become sensitized to trolling — where the rate of deception is high — many honestly naïve questions may be quickly rejected as trollings. This can be quite off-putting to the new user who upon venturing a first posting is immediately bombarded with angry accusations. Even if the accusation is unfounded, being branded a troll is quite damaging to one's online reputation.[9]"

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 12, 2009 2:16 AM | Report abuse

"certainty that Obama isn't a US citizen"

But if you'll notice, G&T, he consistently places that accusation in the conditional tense. It isn't just that he's factually wrong, he uses the most cowardly, insinuating, misdirecting syntax possible in spreading the accusation, which clearly implies knowledge that what he is saying is, in fact, a lie.

It's one of the most vivid displays of deficient integrity I've ever seen -- and repeated, over and over!

Posted by: nodebris | December 12, 2009 2:07 AM | Report abuse

So when did it go from the demand to see the "long form" birth certificate to the certainty that Obama isn't a US citizen?

Hmmm, name calling bad, but lying without shame is A-OK.

Got it.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 12, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm not name calling you. I'm accurately describing your comment. Cowardly. Insinuation. Smear.

Posted by: nodebris | December 12, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps you missed the part where I called pResident Obama a USURPER to the Office and traitor to the Constitution of the United States? BTW: we can name-call "public officials" all we want, but we are no longer supposed to name-call each other, so I won't be addressing you any longer.

Posted by: JakeD | December 12, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

"Obama is not PRESIDENT if he wasn't born in Hawaii."

It would be hard to think of a more cowardly attempt at insinuated smear than that one. It's a remarkable example of deficient integrity.

Not even brave enough to insult plainly.

Posted by: nodebris | December 12, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | December 11, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm moving to Việt Nam but it has nothing to do with reacting to Obama. I'm moving there because it's a great place to live and my own country is much less so than it was a few generations ago.

The same sickness that shows up in this blog coming from the trolls shows up all over America. It shows up in the people on the roads who delight in seeing a long line of cars behind them, It shows up in the graffiti defacing public art. It shows up in public parks where small trees have been cut down and stolen by creeps to save a few bucks on a Christmas tree.

There's this "thing" in many Americans, this creepy enjoyment of being a nuisance, in being aggravating, in enjoying baiting people. I don't know where it comes from but I do know that it's not present in the Vietnamese, not in any amount.

And oh, they have the best food and the hottest men in the world.

I'll be there again next April, and THIS visit I'll be staying in my own just-completed palatial retirement house in Cần Thơ, a very nice middle-class area thereof, about 60 miles southwest of Hô Chí Minh City.

Everyone but the trolls is invited to visit. Email me at this moniker at yahoo for directions.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

"Im not moving from America at all."
JakeD
---
Really?, I thought you were moving to Connecticut, you know, one of those "Not real America" states that your orgasm in chief hates.

Posted by: JRM2 | December 11, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I guess if you offer her enough she'll abandon any values she pretends to have.

==

penny-ante compared to abandoning her post

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Well in the absence of any evidence to support such an outrageous claim you're not making any actual point, just trolling the blog.

I have hundreds of Palin's own utterances to support mine.

Lying? Death panels.

Ignorant? 'Nuff said, she wears her ignorance like a badge of honor and sneers at the educated.

Snake-handling? Metaphorical for her apocalyptic Christianity and her exorcism

What do you have? The faded memory of an elderly woman, and a teabagger conspiracy yelled by red-faced paranoids who are furious, as you are, that the president has dark skin.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

So Sarah Palin is accepting a speaking fee and charging $25 a pop for pictures with her as a fundraiser for a socialist Canadian Hospital that performs abortions.

I guess if you offer her enough she'll abandon any values she pretends to have.

Posted by: JRM2 | December 11, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

"As long as you get to call Gov. Palin a ditz and "lying ignorant snake-handling harpy", I get to call pResident Obama a USURPER to the Office and traitor to the Constitution of the United States.
"
-------
But you can't substantiate your claims.

Posted by: JRM2 | December 11, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm not moving from America at all. As long as you get to call Gov. Palin a ditz and "lying ignorant snake-handling harpy", I get to call pResident Obama a USURPER to the Office and traitor to the Constitution of the United States.

Posted by: JakeD | December 11, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Obama is president.

If you don't like it you can follow my example and move to another country.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

The Live Chat specifically referenced President Obama. In the spirit of civility, however, I promise to not bring up any issue re: Obama's citizenship on any future thread just as long as the title "President" is not being used.

Posted by: JakeD | December 11, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Chris C, there is more to civil discussion than refraining from name-calling. Beating this dead horse about Obama's citizenship is not discussion, it's trolling, and the only point of trolling is to start fights.

Do you want your blog to contain real discussion or go in circles?

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Obama is not PRESIDENT if he wasn't born in Hawaii. "Public officials are fair game." My legal opinion therefore is that Biden is, and has been, Acting President since 12 noon on January 20, 2009. I have now made my point, in a civil manner.

Posted by: JakeD | December 11, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Mr. Cillizza for the clarification. Back on topic then, it seems as if (Acting) President Biden did not get the memo regarding Sen. Dodd:

==

Stop brown-nosing, it's gross.

The president is Barack Obama, Joseph Biden is vice-president. We only have an "acting president" when the man himself is indisposed because of incapacity, usually for medical reasons.

This sort of cheap goading is only intended to troll, to start fights. Quit it.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Vice President Joe Biden said Friday that Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) "is the single-most gifted legislator in Congress, now that Teddy Kennedy’s gone," and praised him for chairing two committees in the midst of a national crisis (failing to mention that Dodd caused the mortgage meltdown part of that). Biden said the consequences would have been "dire" had Dodd failed.

"That is not hyperbole; that is a fact," he said. Then he went onto more non-hyperbole by claiming that Sen. Dodd is "getting the living hell beat out of him, the living bejesus beat out of him."

"Why? Because he’s being a leader," Biden said at a fundraiser in Hartford. Biden also said Dodd’s turbulent reelection bid is "going to be a hell of a race, and it’s an uphill race," according to a pool report, "but Chris Dodd will prevail."

Posted by: JakeD | December 11, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Well Palin's name appears on the very title bar of my browser in this thread.

As for comments on public figures leading to uh passionate exchanges, don't you think, Chris, we've seen quite enough repeats of the "Obama is not a citizen" posts? Do those serve any purpose other than to start fights? Is not the matter as settled in reality as any could possibly be?

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

In my mind, public officials are fair game. But, I think the people I have mentioned tend to quickly escalate from commenting on a public figure to attacking one another.

Also, and let's not forget this, being ON TOPIC is of value as well. Not every post needs to have a comments section full of Sarah Palin, "Obamacare" and the like.

Chris

Posted by: Chris_Cillizza | December 11, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Did I call her a ditz? My bad.

I meant to say "lying ignorant snake-handling harpy."

And if she did register here it'd be worth getting banned to send a broadside her way, worth it many times over. Palin deserves civility like I deserve the papacy.

Public figures, Jake.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Cillizza:

Please clarify if your request for civility and a stop to name-calling is limited to only references re: people who actually post here, thanks in advance.

Posted by: JakeD | December 11, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Does Sarah Palin post here? Point her out so I can tell her exactly what I think of her

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Does "ditz from Alaska" qualify as name-calling again?

Posted by: JakeD | December 11, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

As if the Palin piece on the climate was an insufficient affront to the intelligence now we have John "electric tan" Boehner talking about Republicans creatin' jobs!

And in a stunning stop-the-presses turn of events, the New Idea is ... tax cuts!

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't see any reference to Sarah Palin and I would appreciate it if we didn't see any more. Glad that the Tim "sleepy" Pawlenty ink is finally drying up, how about we stop hearing about that ditz from Alaska too?

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

The Palin-Limbaugh vs. Obama-Biden hypothetical question was MINE!!!

Posted by: JakeD | December 11, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Best Music of 2009: "Dialog in Silence" by Dissecting Table

Five CDs of glorious harshness, JUST the thing for December to counteract and drown out all the parumpapumpum

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 11, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse