Live Fix Chat: Palin, health care and Bill Simmons!

We chatted live on Friday with Fixistas from around the country about politics, the universe and everything.

Among the hot topics: more analysis of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (if that's possible), a look at some of the best Senate races of 2010, and an update on the Fix's quest to become the "homeless man's Bill Simmons".

A few of our favorite questions are below. The full transcript is here. Have a great weekend and drink a gingerbread latte for us!

Gainesville, Va.: Hello Chris,

Thank you for taking my question. Do you think that Sarah Palin is sacrificing a Presidential run in 2012 for the sake of promoting her book and other self interests?

I get the feeling that she knows she doesn't have a snowball's chance in 2012 and this book and promotion are a vehicle for generating an income. She does have knack for taking advantage of the situation and milking it.

Why else would she write a book that clearly makes her look even more undesirable as a serious politician? I mean accusing Couric of badgering by asking her questions like what she reads? Good thing Katie did ask her "What is your favorite color?". This seems to be verse for Palinites and people who would buy the book just to read what else in in there. Thanks again.

Chris Cillizza: Ok, I am going to take one AND ONLY ONE question on the Palinator since I have written my fingers to the nubs about her this week.

I think that the book tour and all of the media interview -- although not one with the Fix! -- that Palin is doing at the moment are in pursuit of her financial interests and have little to do with political calculation.

Palin acknowledged when she resigned the governorship over the summer that she wanted and needed to make money and it seems to me that the way in which she has approached the book tour -- interviews with Oprah, Barbara Wawa and NO serious political reporters -- reveals that she wants to drive book sales first and foremost and worry about 2012 later.

I also think the score-settling element of the book -- against Couric, Steve Schmidt, Nicolle Wallace etc -- suggest that political considerations are not at the top of her mind currently.

Does that mean she won't or can't run in 2012. Nope. I got out of the Palin political prediction business a long time ago.

Indianapolis, Indiana: So with the entire congress, both Democrats and Republicans in a mutiny because of many different issues, what are the chances of everybody sticking around during December to pass health-care reform? Or will they all pick up their toys and go home before voting just to spite the administration? (That's assuming they get cloture on the present bill.)

Chris Cillizza: I believe that something on health care will pass simply because the Obama Administration and now Harry Reid, who faces a very tough 2010 race, have too much invested in the bill for it to fail.

The timeline on when that happens in fungible. ($5 word!). Remember that President Obama said in the spring he wanted health care down before the August recess. Well, here we are at the end of field hockey season and it's still not done.

Do I think Democrats want this done by year's end so they aren't grappling with it in an election year? Absolutely. But, the hands of Congress move slowly and I think the President would rather a bill in January than no bill in December.

Portland, Ore.: The scene at the Beaverton, Oregon Borders last night, at Bill Simmons' book signing:

Me: So this Washington Post political blogger Chris Cilizza has been saying on his chat for a while now that he would be satisfied to be known as the "Homeless Man's Bill Simmons".

Bill Simmons: Who?

It's ok, Chris. He certainly sounded intrigued and said he was going to start checking your blog.

Chris Cillizza: Ok, this is awesome.

For any of the rest of you Fixistas out there in the country, if you happen to go to a Bill Simmons aka "The Sports Guy" book signing, bring up my stated desire to have him refer to me as the "homeless man's Bill Simmons".

He'll start to think to himself "Hey, maybe I should check this Cillizza guy out" and once he does my obvious charm good looks will win him over.

Oh yes, it's all coming together now....

By Chris Cillizza  |  November 20, 2009; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Fix Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Line: Ranking Republican leaders
Next: Morning Fix: Obama convenes the Cabinet

Comments

It pays to have a B&N insider (cashier?) on the blog,

==

Don't noodge, YOU should aspire to such achievement

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 23, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Local WTVD-TV reports that bookstores around Fort Bragg were experiencing “slow sales” in advance of Palin’s visit. She had a crowd of one thousand (not all soldiers) all white.

Her book is already the interest of the population not on her tour......

Bring it !!!!

Posted by: lindarc | November 23, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: broadwayjoe

It pays to have a B&N insider (cashier?) on the blog,

Posted by: leapin | November 23, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I do not understand all the hoopla about Sara Palin. She will be neither an asset or a threat to ANY political party. The media should get over the celebrity and move on. It is a waste of time to polarize, exploit or ridicule her. She is a benign splash in the pan and will return to her roots with a nice bank account. Which she has certainly earned.

Posted by: shirleze | November 23, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

And how this relates to the chances of Sarah Palin becoming president is beyond me, since she makes Bush like a Mensa Hall of Famer.

==

I've asked him a dozen times where Palin's votes would come from. What constituencies, what percentages? I see her getting at most 35 million and that in a whacky and unlikely scenario, more like 25 million otherwise.

Jake starts out claiming she'll get every last vote that McCain got, despite McC not being on the top of the ticket, despite her daffy resignation.

Despite her evident unfitness for the job in intelligence, temperament, executive abiity, and discipline.

Not to mention veracity.

Come on, Jake, where does she get the votes? I say you're blowing smoke.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 23, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

joked must not have heard the famous one-liner, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

He also seems completely ignorant of the fact that there was zero chance of Bin Laden pulling off anything like 9/11 again. Bush had no effect on that whatsoever.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | November 23, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

No one wants to talk to you Joke, haven't you figured that out?

Posted by: drindl | November 23, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

If anyone else doesn't understand "since 2001" feel free to ask me about it on the 44 thread.

Posted by: JakeD | November 22, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

No terrorist attacks since 2001?

Hmm, I seem to recall something about September THE Eleventh Two Thousand AND One, and a President immobilized in uncertainty and indecision with planes still in the air.

And all planes grounded SAVE ONE, that exceptoin made to get the members of Osama's family, very good friends of the President's father, out of the country before anyone could ask them any questions.

Then there were the anthrax attacks. Those don't count, huh?

Uh. wow.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 22, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

""Like it or not, whatever Bush did on 9/11 and thereafter is credited with preventing another 9/11."

Only in the minds of the delusional, where no facts are accepted and only FOX propaganda is welcome.

Posted by: drindl"

Well, it's almost one year into the Obama Presidency and still no terrorist attacks on US soil. I think that crushes Bush's record.

Posted by: DDAWD | November 22, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Will Health Care Reform be deficit-neutral?

Posted by: usadblake | November 22, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

drindl:

FACT: there were no terrorist attacks on U.S. soil since 2001 until when Obama took over.

Posted by: JakeD | November 22, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

broadwayjoe:

If Simmons beats Palin on the NYT Bestseller List, then your data point would be meaningful.

Posted by: JakeD | November 22, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I kinda finished Simmons basketball book (I skipped around a lot to read the parts I was interested in). I still think it's the best bb book ever written (although Halberstam's is a close second). It is, though, highly personalized and steeped in stream-of-consciousness, IMO; about 20% is about Simmons World. It is also highly biased: he trashes HOFer Oscar Robertson (apparently because he didn't grin through the Jim Crow times in which he played) and his intense hate-on for HOHer Rick Barry is off the charts (who cares whether Barry wore a wig?). It was in such demand they had extra copies stacked on the floor. By contrast, no one--I repeat for Jake, NO ONE--looked at, much less bought, a copy of "Going Rogue" during the 35 minutes I was at B&H.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 22, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

here's the difference between right and left. instead of demonizing the unemployed, we try to help them:

'One out of every five people in Arkansas lacks health insurance coverage. However, today over 1,500 uninsured Arkansans received health care at a free clinic hosted by Communities Are Responding Everyday (CARE) at the Statehouse Convention Center in Little Rock, which was made possible in part because of calls for donations by MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann. A wide variety of medical services, including physicals and screenings for such conditions as high blood pressure and high cholesterol, were provided at the clinic.

The Arkansas Times spoke both to volunteers and people waiting to receive care. Several of the volunteers expressed their enthusiasm to help their fellow community members, while at the same time feeling “ashamed” to be in a country where health care is still a privilege:

MAN: Well I came to get health. I do have diabetes and I haven’t been able to get healthcare since I lost my last job. And I am a student so it’s been a little difficult to get a full time job where I can get benefits. [...] I haven’t seen a doctor probably in three or four years. [...] I thank all of the volunteers.

WOMAN: I got laid off in 2008 and since I haven’t had insurance [...]

MAN: I don’t make really enough money to pay bills and have healthcare also. This is a good opportunity for me. And I haven’t really had a check up or anything in more years than I’d like to admit. [...] I’m really thankful.'

Posted by: drindl | November 22, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drindl | November 22, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

leftcoastblue:

Neither. Like it or not, whatever Bush did on 9/11 and thereafter is credited with preventing another 9/11. Someone asked below how Palin is going to win the White House, and one way is that she is not ashamed to praise / criticize Bush when he deserves it (unlike most Republicans who just tried to ignore the topic). That is going to go a long way with Independent voters. They realize that Bush was not 100% evil. So, I do appreciate you bringing up "My Pet Goat" as just another example of the irrational Bush (now Palin) hatred that I was questioning "kendreik" about.

Please recall that Bush had his highest approval ratings right after 9/11. "My Pet Goat" and conspiracy theories about Bush planting demolitions at the WTC weren't even a factor in his re-election. That's because 9/11 was a sneak attack like Pearl Harbor. Consider, however, what would have happened to FDR if he had allowed ANOTHER attack of Pearl Harbor once we knew who the enemy were? He would have been run out of D.C. on a rail. That's exactly what will happen to Obama. He's not getting the "benefit of the doubt" this time. And, that's just ONE possible way Palin wins in a landslide. If the economy doesn't improve, or her signature energy issue becomes what Carter faced, watch out.

Posted by: JakeD | November 22, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

JakeD, no terrorist attacks SINCE 2001!?!?

I guess you mean no terrorist attacks, other than the one that killed more than 3,000 people on 9/11/01? An attack, by the way, that bush was warned of in August by Clinton National Security staffers, as well as by the CIA briefing with the title "Al Queda to Attack US."

And, oh yeah, while that particular attack was still ONGOING, GWB sat frozen for nearly 8 minutes in a kindergarten classroom trying to understand the deeper meanings of "My Pet Goat." (BTW, that was long enough for a jet to travel 80 miles . . . and long enough to have scrambled interceptors to stop it before it hit its target.)

I guess you also think putting the country into a recession/depression by systematically looting the treasury is a GOOD thing? Either you are related to Bernie Madoff, Jeff Skilling, Dick Cheney, et al; or you're a brainless dittohead. I wonder which it is . . .

Posted by: leftcoastblue | November 22, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

By "8 years lost" you mean no terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 2001 and economic growth until Obama took over?

Posted by: JakeD | November 22, 2009 6:07 AM | Report abuse

Look,SARAH PALIN is the same like GEORGE BUSH..She can't talk and make a conversation,but she can read a writen fiery speach and she is CHRISTIAN ,EVANGELICAL,PROTESTANT AND A RADICAL FUNDAMENTALIST that have support from 60% of America...Be carefull BARAck OBAMA IN 2012...iF BUSH WON THE RACE ,SARAH CAN DO IT TO...then we will have another 8 years lost..

Posted by: kendreik | November 22, 2009 3:39 AM | Report abuse

If you havent been following this stuff, some hackers broke into the email of the "scientists" who have been collecting the evidence for global warming - and this is what they found:

Manipulation of evidence:

I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline.

Private doubts about whether the world really is heating up:

The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong. Our observing system is inadequate.

Attempts to disguise the inconvenient truth of the Medieval Warm Period (MWP):

……Phil and I have recently submitted a paper using about a dozen NH records that fit this category, and many of which are available nearly 2K back–I think that trying to adopt a timeframe of 2K, rather than the usual 1K, addresses a good earlier point that Peck made w/ regard to the memo, that it would be nice to try to “contain” the putative “MWP”, even if we don’t yet have a hemispheric mean reconstruction available that far back….

And, perhaps most reprehensibly, a long series of communications discussing how best to squeeze dissenting scientists out of the peer review process. How, in other words, to create a scientific climate in which anyone who disagrees with AGW can be written off as a crank, whose views do not have a scrap of authority.

“This was the danger of always criticising the skeptics for not publishing in the “peer-reviewed literature”. Obviously, they found a solution to that–take over a journal! So what do we do about this? I think we have to stop considering “Climate Research” as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal. We would also need to consider what we tell or request of our more reasonable colleagues who currently sit on the editorial board…What do others think?”

Posted by: 37thand0street | November 21, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Question, does the Senate vote today mean that only 51 votes will be needed from here on out or are the Republicans going to have a chance to filibuster again?

Posted by: DDAWD | November 21, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

That's right, I am the one without a brain. Somewhere, over the rainbow ...

Posted by: JakeD | November 21, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

The with-doorstop may have sold 300,000 on the first day (I doubt that, I bet it was store-shuffle "sales"), but it isn't selling now. I was just at B&N and the store was loaded with shoppers but nobody was looking at Palin's with-thingee.

Markdown bin by Black Friday, anyone want to bet against? Who other than a reporter or a teabagger would read it? And there are only so many teabaggers.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 21, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

She sold 300,000 books the very first day (not counting all of the pre-sale books). Some humans are indeed buying it. Do you think I am able to quote with cites to page numbers without buying it?

==

Your claim to be a real human being is even more extravagant than your claim of a law doctorate from a prestigious university (or zouk's of being a "mathematical modeler").

Part of the definition of humanity is the presence in the cranium of a brain, which you have never exhibited in tens of thousands of posts.

Lacking both intelligence and integrity, you're some sort of pongid at best. Pithecanthropus nuisancus would be my guess

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 21, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

The excerpts from Palin's with-doorstop sound like yer basic blue-collar tavern talk.

"I don't like tobacco smoke but I didn't try to get a law passed."

Wow Jake that's some really deep thinking there, huh?

As though disliking tobacco smoke is purely personal, never mind the good probability that one or more of the nonsmoking waitresses working there could come down with lung cancer she'd done nothing to summon.

But we already knew that it doesn't take much to impress an idiot like Jake.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 21, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

broadwayjoe:

Posted by: JakeD | November 21, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

thecannula, snowmelt, Jake, and zouk all showing up at the same time? This can't be good. As bad as Pierce, Colby, and Ben Miller waiting for the Noon train thought to carry Frank Miller. Bad news for O-Nation and Alpha Centauri generally.
Can AsperGirl, 37thandO, ekim, and Dianne72 be far behind?

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 21, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Was that a Barnes & Noble in REAL America?

Posted by: JakeD | November 21, 2009 2:35 PM
_______

Yes, with real "amuuricans" as Phalin likes to say. No humans bought her book.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 21, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@resurrected Jake (who was up trolling at 2 a.m.):

"The way you walked was thorny, through no fault of your own, but as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea, so tears run to a predestined end. Your suffering is over, [Jake, the troll]. Now you will find peace."

You may now return from whence you came and find peace...

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Was that a Barnes & Noble in REAL America?

Posted by: JakeD | November 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Kathleeen Parker, conservative:

"Palin knows exactly how to animate her base, and demonizing the media is the most powerful quill in her quiver. That is, by picking fights with the media, she mobilizes her fans against a monolithic enemy -- "them" -- while getting "them" to give her more ink and airtime."

Parker knows it's all show biz--Palin gets to whine, the media gets to lick her toes and sell product to the rubes who think that Sarah cares about anything but Sarah. Everyone wins but the dummies who spend their hard-earned money--and any journalist who thinks they have dignity.

And the fact that american journalism and politics have devolved into a combo of Ripley's Beleive it or Not and Barnum & Bailey -- well, apparenty that's what we deserve. Obama will probably be the last intelligent president we ever have.

Posted by: drindl | November 21, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I was at Barnes and Noble for about a half hour today and NO ONE--no real life person--bought a single copy of "Going Rogue" although it was displayed everywhere.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 21, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Just bought Bill Simmons's' "Book of Basketball." It is the greatest book on the sport EVER WRITTEN. It is that good I've skimmed it and it's like a big bowl of paella--you shouldn't try to take it all in at one sitting. Pace yourself. Simmons knows the game and the players and gets it right almost ever time--great discussions of forgotten legends like Bob Dandridge and Dave Bing (now mayor of Detroit--he played blind (couldn't see the rim) for almost his entire career). Skip "Going Rogue." Buy Simmons book.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 21, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

The Newsweek cover was also a breach of contract cause of action.

Posted by: JakeD | November 21, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

If anyone else wants me to post all of the 2-3 AM posts by "GoldAndTanzanite" (fka "chrisfox" before being banned repeatedly), let me know.

Posted by: JakeD | November 21, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Most of the rest of the book just catalogs her Gump-esque rise to national stardom (not having enough self-awareness to detect the monstrous narcissistic ambition that in reality was impelling her forward all along, she labors in the book to describe her various career leaps as lucky accidents or mystical acts of Providence) and the seemingly endless parade of meanies bent on tripping her up along the way. The book is really about her battles with these people, how much they did and do suck, and how difficult and inherently unfair life is for a decent hardworking American gal who just wants to live life, serve God, and try to be president without being bothered all the time.

Palin’s extraordinary ability to inspire major national controversies around these injustices done to her immediate person is going to guarantee her some kind of major role in American politics for the next dozen years. In this regard she is going to have a willing ally in her supposed keen enemy, the mainstream media, which likewise loves nothing more than a political narrative that has nothing to do with politics. It’ll be a virtually endless war over nonsense like this latest Newsweek cover, which hilariously is being seen as one or the other of a) a liberal media plot or b) a sexist assault on a prominent female politician by the male-dominated media world when in fact, as all of us in this dying print media business know, the magazine’s motive was grounded entirely in the nihilistic desperation to sell newsstand copies.

And Sarah Palin sells copies. She is the country’s first WWE politician — a cartoon combatant who inspires stadiums full of frustrated middle American followers who will cheer for her against whichever villain they trot out, be it Newsweek, Barack Obama, Katie Couric, Steve Schmidt, the Mad Russian, Randy Orton or whoever. Her followers will not know that she is the perfect patsy for our system, designed as it is to channel popular anger in any direction but a useful one, and to keep the public tied up endlessly in pointless media melees over meaningless horsesh*t (melees of the sort that develop organically around Palin everywhere she goes). Like George W. Bush, even Palin herself doesn’t know this, another reason she’s such a perfect political tool."

Posted by: drindl | November 21, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

(pg. 110-11 re: her campaign for Governor):

"In the primary, I was running against Governor Murkowski, of course, and his friend Randy Ruedrich was still the state GOP chairman -- a bad omen to some but to us a motivating challenge. To win the primary, I'd have to gothrough both of them. It also meant we'd have no backing from the state party. I found my underdog status and the outsider label quite liberating. If there were only a few politicians bold enough to hook up with us, that was fine too. We built a network of nonpolitical, hardworking Alaskans who were tired of politicians bending in the wind."

Posted by: JakeD | November 21, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

It is starting to become clear to me what the GOP strategy is- they are trying to turn the entire country into California- an ungovernable mess where the majority is incapable of governing because of an obstinate and insane minority party and ridiculous procedural hoops.

And when you realize that, it makes complete sense why no one in the Republican party stands up to the lies spewed by Sarah Palin, like, for example, this nonsense about mammograms and death panels. She is flat out lying, as she does most every time she opens her mouth, but no one in the GOP will call her on it because it is to their advantage to make the country ungovernable. They like it when there is so much bullsh*t and disinformation out there that the public is incapable of being informed.

And our media, rather than calling obvious lies for what they are, will instead sit by and act like play by play announcers and color commentators at a football game, with a he-said she-said approach: “Sarah Palin claims mammogram guidelines are legally binding, Kathleen Sebelius says this is not true. What do you think? Our roundtable next, with Stephen Hayes, Karl Rove, and James Carville.”

Just depressing. On any given day, if you just quickly read a newspaper or watch cable news for fifteen minutes, there is a very solid chance you will leave the experience knowing less than when you started.

Posted by: drindl | November 21, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Believe the Left on Global Warming too?

From Yesterday's NY Times-

"In several e-mail exchanges, Kevin Trenberth, a climatologist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, and other scientists discussed whether a string of recent years of relatively stable temperatures undermined scientific models that predict long-term warming.

“The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t,” Dr. Trenberth wrote."

Looks like Al Gore's profits are in jeopardy- no problem for Al: he's already a multimillionaire from this panic.

Posted by: thecannula | November 21, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

That's really too sad. Joked is up at 2AM snuggling with his Sarah book and this blog.

No, clearly he is not a real person. Not one with a real life, anyway.

Posted by: drindl | November 21, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

(cont. from pg. 85):

"Likewise, I believed that national leaders have a responsibility to respect the Tenth Amendment and keep their hands off the states. It's the old Jeffersonian view that the affairs of the citizens are best left to their own hands."

Posted by: JakeD | November 21, 2009 2:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm reading "Going Rogue" again and this example of small government (from pg. 75):

"Nearly every pregnant woman has something that can make her instantly ill, and the cigarette smoke inside the cafe kind of nausiated me. Instead of supporting a much-talked-about smoking ban at the time, though, I just stopped going to that restaurant. It eventually went smoke-free on its own, which is the way things like that should work."

Posted by: JakeD | November 21, 2009 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Why did you come back, Jake? You said you were leaving, I guess that was as truthful as the rest of the crap you post over and over and over .. but you insist on hanging around a place where nobody likes you, nobody has any respect you, nobody gives a damn about your phony life / wife / degree or travel claims.

It's plain as can be that you seek to be annoying, and at that you succeed, but what kind of a life is that? How is being bothersome rewarding in any way?

In your absence we had much better discussions, much more civil and on-topic, and while snowbama was his virulent roiling self we all treated him as either a figure of fun or vomit on the sidewalk.

Why don't you find some cancer support group to troll or something.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 21, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

==

Not my recollection at all. I remember an incoherent babbling speech about dead fish, and a lot of commentary about how what she said made no sense.

She was inspired by the perseverance of the troops to .. throw in the towel.

I expect daydreaming losers like JakeD to buy that crap, I don't expect anyone else to.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

jaked: 'I am not a "real life person"?'

Clearly not.

Posted by: nodebris | November 20, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

I am not a "real life person"?

==

You're an uneducated racist lout who thinks he can get away with claiming a summa cum laude doctorate from a prestigious law school.

And given the repetition in your posting, there's a case to be made that you are nothing but a script bot, not a "real live person" at all.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Reading zouk and snowbama are like watching a punch and judy show, right down to the comically high voices and cruel slapstick. What a pair of sock puppets.

Posted by: nodebris | November 20, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

snowbama: "Liberals look around themselves and see nothing but failure."

No, only when I read your posts.

Posted by: nodebris | November 20, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

broadwayjoe:

I am not a "real life person"?

Posted by: JakeD | November 20, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

One guy I see on weekends has a gay roommate who had one of the worst days of his life when Palin up an' resigned. I'm better that next time I stop by the book will have a reverent placing on the coffeetable.

He has a little B&W pic of George an' Laura that you'd think was a pic of his own parents if you didn't know better.

About as creepy as it gets lemme tell ya.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I plan on buying Simmons 700-page book on the NBA tomorrow. They say it's great. I don't plan to look at, much less buy, Phalin's "Going Rogue. Seriously, in 345 trips to Barnes and Noble, I have never seen a real life person buy "Going Rogue" or any of these wingnut books from Phalin, Coulter, et al. Their posted sales figures are hard to believe; IMO they must reflect bulk sales to stormfront-thinking institutions. crowd.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 20, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

"She is not qualified for the presidency"
-- 70% of the electorate

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

"She is the leader this country deserves."

Stephen T. Colbert

Posted by: JakeD | November 20, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

@zouk: nobody makes phở at home, the broth takes weeks to reach its richness. Anyway we have an inexplicably kicka§§ phở place five minutes away so I just go there.

And I never eat the regular phở bò, I prefer phở gà.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Try to think happy thoughts while you stare miserably at the monitor, CF8 et al, desperate for some human interaction.

The loser hour is upon us.

Avg IQ down below 30.

Intelligent posters, run for the hills

on the other hand, do you have a good recipe for pho?

Posted by: snowbama | November 20, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Kennedy: "Ich bin ein Berliner," German for "I am a pastry."

He needed to leave out the "ein" article.

The crowd generously overlooked the gaffe.

Or maybe they were cheering the pastry.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys, twig it. The book has made her a millionaire, and couple that with hanging around elected Republican since the GOP nomination ... get it yet?

She stiffed her fans because they're "little people," not millionaires, people who don't matter.

She'll be an establishment Republican yet

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

"Liberals look around themselves and see nothing but failure"
snowbama
----
And then we elected Obama

Posted by: JRM2 | November 20, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Palin stiffs hundreds of people who bought her book, her bus leaves with people booing her and calling her a quitter.

Ha, she can't even run a book signing tour!

Posted by: JRM2 | November 20, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Famous Quotes from the greats:

Lincoln: "Four score and 7 years ago..."
Kennedy: "We are all Berliners."
Churchill: "This was our finest hour."
King: "I have a dream."
Presidential hopeful Sarah Heath Phalin: "Only dead fish go with the flow."
[After quitting the governorship] "I'm not retreating, just reloading."

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 20, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Palin's moral ugliness would turn out Democratic voters like gangbusters.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 7:54 PM
__________

No question about it. Go Saracuda.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 20, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

A mob of book buyers "Go Rogue" and heartily BOO Phalin at her "book" signing. Developing...

"...several dozen people who had been promised signatures were turned away empty-handed after waiting hours in poor weather, a local news outlet, the Indy Channel, reported.

"We gave up our entire workday, stayed in the cold, my kids were crying," one man was quoted saying. "They went home with my wife. She was out here in the freezing cold all day. I feel like I don't want to support Sarah."

Another woman told Indy Channel, "We bought two books from Borders to have our receipt and our wristband to get it signed tonight. My books are going back to Borders tomorrow."

The angry crowd turned on Palin as she returned to her "Going Rogue" tour bus. Video below shows people booing and shouting at the bus, and shouting "Sign our books Sarah!" as the engine revved up and Palin departed."

Phalin may have to use one of those electric "Magic Fences" to keep her "fans" at a safe distance.

_____

BHO favorites: Kennedy, MLK, Jr., Lincoln

Phalin favorites: Glenn Beck, Westbrook Pegler, Lynn Vincent, Pat Buchanan

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 20, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

[Reason 1] Enthusiasm: Her "brand" will motivate voters who might otherwise stay home. This could actually hurt her in a general election, but not so much in a primary."

==

In the first three hours after Palin's nasty speech to the RNC the Democrats collected a vast amount of new contributions.

Palin's moral ugliness would turn out Democratic voters like gangbusters.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Great news in O-Nation. Nate Silver, perhaps the most accurate pollster in America, says Palin can win the GOP nomination in 2012 and gives 10 reasons why, all of which I agree with. Some are now saying BHO could win all 50 states, including Gregory Charles Royal's vote, if Palin runs. Go Saracuda.

Excerpt:

"Nate Silver thinks Sarah Palin will run for president in 2012 and warns that it's foolish to dismiss her chances of getting the GOP nomination "given the makeup and mood of the Republican primary electorate. " He lays out specifics at FiveThirtyEight.com:

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 20, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

How sweetly and ironic and just it would be if the man you pissed in the political pool by thrusting Palin on the world lost his long-held seat as a direct consequence and gave Arizona a Democratic Senator!

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

snowmelt's drippings about the yacht, etc. remind me of Jon ("That's the ticket") Lovitz's comedy routines. Or better yet: maybe it's like the Matrix, snow is cocooned in a big bag of goo with a wire attached to his head thinking he is "living the life." You know, think snowmelt as "Neo."

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 20, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Unnoticed by the MSM is that a new (gulp) Rasmussen poll shows McCain statistically tied in his reelection bid against teabagger favorite J.D. Hayworth. Question: who will Phalin support?

"Senator John McCain’s future in the U.S. Senate may be a little less assured than previously thought.

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of likely 2010 Republican Primary voters in Arizona finds the longtime incumbent in a virtual tie with potential challenger J.D. Hayworth. McCain earns 45% of the vote, while Hayworth picks up 43%.

Former Minuteman leader Chris Simcox gets four percent (4%) support, while two percent (2%) prefer some other candidate and seven percent (7%) are undecided."

BTW, I spotted Jake reincarnated below so I am obliged to try, well--

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 20, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

"Does anyone who reads zouk's posts believe for one millisecond that he could hold down a job?"

No. But the delusional never realize this.

Posted by: drindl | November 20, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I thought he was going away? But I guess that was all just a dog's dream...

Posted by: drindl | November 20, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

But where is loud and dumb? What good is curly and mo without Larry?

Posted by: snowbama | November 20, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Liberals look around themselves and see nothing but failure. When the big government fails to correct this they wallow in victimhood. It can't be their fault for personality quirks, lack of education or motivation only sufficient to blog about it.

The natural assumption is that everyone else must be equally pitiful and deranged.

Posted by: snowbama | November 20, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Every goober troll claims to be riotously succcessful, admired, and at the pinnacle of his field (usually some financial tapeworm BS).

And they all have an 850 FICO, are married to supermodels who think the sun rises and sets in their pants, have ten inches too.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Drivl. Everyone knows you're a dog.

Posted by: snowbama | November 20, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

man, this is a sad case:

"I am off to tortola for the week, dear freinds, so I give you the three stooges of idiocy to entertain you while I am gone. I did indeed make an offer on the yacht today and it looks like it will go through. things look good in zouk land these days.

try to think happy thoughts while you stare miserably at the monitor, CF8, desperate for some human interaction. I will be in the sun enjoying life, kids, wife and travel. Maybe you and drivl can dine together on crow or spite or whatever it is you kooks subsist on these days,"

But classic. On the internet, where everyone has a pool, a plane, and a yacht. Reminds me of a cartoon I saw a long time ago of a pooch sitting in front of a computer. The thought ballon said, 'On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog.'

Posted by: drindl | November 20, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many American children and adult lives would have been spared had the Republicans not insisted on stripping out funds for H1N1 vaccine from the stimulus bill?

Posted by: JRM2 | November 20, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Easy really.

Tạm biệt và phúc đức

Posted by: ZOUK | November 20, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

How do you confuse an idiot?

Posted by: snowbama | November 20, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah sure zouk you're flying out in your Gulfstream to a welcoming family who will attend to your every word over dinner, hanging on to every "drivl" and "chrisuxcox" and "loud and dumb."

Then you'll once again by the life of the party by lighting a few farts with your Bic.

Nonsense. You're in a mental hospital and you'll be there next weekend too.

I'll be at the Classic Chevy Club party with my partner (our last, we sold the Belair).

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

going to be a long lonely weekend for the loons. What a sad, pitiful excuse for a life.

On the other hand, away from this blog, which is clearly utterly foreign to most of the idiots who actually live here, there is a world.

did you know it was Thanksgiving next week? that is a traditional time to gather with friends and family. Oh wait, I see it now. never mind.

Posted by: ZOUK | November 20, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ZOUK | November 20, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

So snowbama vanishes and we immediately have a "zouk"

Did you get banned again?

Hey Chris you really need to work with your IT people to do a more effective job. And given that this cretin is only going to keep posting the same ugly pedophile crap you should just keep banning the new monikers until he gives up, and not wait three months to notice that he's back.

Though sometimes I really wonder if you're inclined to sanction the trolls on the right .. if you're so ga-ga over Palin maybe you're on board with calling gay men pederasts, and maybe you enjoy the mind numbing repetition of the gooper trolls.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Can't seem to get all three stooges in the same room anymore. Hence the average IQ on the blog has soared past 50.

Posted by: ZOUK | November 20, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

CC - You have to have game to be noticed by Simmons.

P.S. More Sarah please. and something about
President Obama's job approval numbers dipping below 50% for the first time.

Posted by: leapin | November 20, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

'

Like a multimillion dollar ad campaign for a dog food that dogs won't eat.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite"

Especially on a blog like this. We are supposed to be the Indie rock of politics. All this Palin stuff makes us seem like a crappy KISS cover band.

Posted by: DDAWD | November 20, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse'

keep those metaphors coming!

Posted by: drindl | November 20, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"I think I speak for many Chris when I say that taking a break from writing about Sarah Palin would be most welcome.

Frankly I find it insulting that she gets so much ink, it really and truly does feel like an Emperor's New Clothes situation, everyone like you determined to believe in her ignoring the nakedness before their own eyes.

Like a multimillion dollar ad campaign for a dog food that dogs won't eat.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite"

Posted by: DDAWD | November 20, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the book is a steppingstone to the presidency.

Who could Americans possibly respect more than a chronic whiner playing the victim?

The very essense of leadership!

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

So, you are "out of the Palin political prediction business" but you still don't think she's using this book to run for said office?

Posted by: JakeD | November 20, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Like a multimillion dollar ad campaign for a dog food that dogs won't eat.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 20, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

This guy known as commish has posted the threats again, I hope you can read them before the Herald deletes the again.

Napolitano needs to explain the lack of a mechanism to report these dangerous employees.

Bobby WC

Posted by: bobbywc | November 20, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Chris, I will say I am sorry up front for this post, but Janet napolitano's office is blocking all calls on the issue - you get endless voicemails.

This is a repeat of Fort Hood - an employee of Homeland Security in Brownville Texas is asking that third parties assault a private citizen. The Brownsville Herald has taken down the comments, and this City Commissioner and Border Security guard with Homeland security keeps on putting the comments back up.

If you call homeland security all they can offer you is endless voice mails.

the story can be seen at the Brownsvillevoice.blogspot.com

I am sorry to all of your readers for this distracting post, but it demonstrates how lessons are never learned. I am not mentioning the name of his victim here because I do not want to make it worse for them. The comments have been taken down again by the Brownsville Herald

Do we wait for this guy with a gun to act and then call for an investigation or do we ask why Homeland Security has nothing in place to report such conduct by its employees.

Bobby WC