Slow-Hand Fix

Eric Clapton's slow-hand style is a good model for the Fix over the next few days. Photo by Luke MacGregor of Reuters

The Fix is taking it slow for the remainder of the week -- a bit of rest and relaxation after the sprint to the 2009 elections.

Posting will be very light. No "Morning Fix" today or tomorrow and -- barring a(nother) resignation in the White House senior staff or a retirement from a Republican governor in a Democratic-leaning state -- we'll be trying to stay away from writing much else either.

For all you Friday Line lovers, never fear. There will be a Line tomorrow. (We can hear the sighs of relief through the computer screen.)

And, for Fix Live chat devotees -- who isn't? -- we will be doing our regularly scheduled gig on Friday between 11 a.m. and noon. If you're bored, feel free to submit questions to us in advance.

Other than that though, it's going to be a slower pace for the rest of the week. We will be back at it full force on Monday.

By Chris Cillizza  |  November 12, 2009; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Fix Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Incumbents Beware!
Next: The Palin Tapes

Comments

You guys are right. Snobama has some real problems. His Freudian obsession with NAMBLA is really disturbing. I wonder if the FBI is watching him. I guess it is time to stop paying attention to him.

Posted by: elijah24 | November 14, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

And who exactly do you think you're scoring points with, zouk, with all the anti-gay bigotry? Did you just come out a time capsule laid down in the 50s or something?

There are gays in sitcoms, in high elective office, in corporate boardrooms, in everyone's workplace. This homophobia crap doesn't even resonate with most Republicans.

I guess you've been out of circulation a really long time.

As you should be.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 13, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

the world must remain very simple for NAMBLA to comprehend. Like Obama, most things are incomprehensible.

Us good
them bad

Red text
Green text

Boy yummm
girl Yeechhh

To wander any further afield is just beyond those capabilites.

Me look strong. Jacuzzi????

Posted by: snowbama | November 13, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

FORT HOOD MASSACRE: ECHOES OF 9-11, GULF OF TONKIN?

***

GOV'T TORTURES ME WITH SILENT MICROWAVE WEAPONS, SAYS OUSTED HONDURAS PREZ

• Deposed Honduras President Manuel Zelaya confirms the essence what unjustly targeted citizens worldwide -- including this journalist -- have been reporting for years...

...MILITARY, SECRET SERVICES, AND INTEL AGENCIES of many nations, including the U.S., silently assault and torture "targeted individuals," including those regarded as "dissenters" or slandered as undesirables, with debilitating, health-degrading, "slow-kill" electromagnetic microwave and laser radiation weapons systems -- reported to include a nationwide installation camouflaged as cell towers, along with satellites and portable weaponry.

FOR THE REST OF THE STORY:

OR (if link is corrupted): http://NowPublic.com/scrivener RE: "Gov't Tortures" and "Gestapo USA."

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 13, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

“In a liberal world ..."
-snobama
Oh ok, I wanna play.
In a conservative world, you wage two wars, only one of which is justified, leaving thousands of your own military dead, their families missing their loved one, not to mention the civilian dead of iraq and Afghanistan; and still call oneself a “compassionate conservative”
In a conservative world, torture is ok as long as the victim MIGHT not like America
In a conservative world, living close to a nation we don’t trust (not an enemy, just one we don’t trust) makes one a foreign policy expert.
In a conservative world, a woman who has an abortion is a promiscuous murderer, even if the pregnancy is the result of rape.
In a conservative world, the unemployed choose to be so.
In a conservative world anyone who disagrees with you hates god, babies, and America.
In a conservative world, god only loves you, and those who think like you.
In a conservative world a bumper-sticker that says “support the troops” is enough, no need for legislation that gives us the health-care we need, the time between tours to get our minds right, the equipment we need to do our jobs, or god forbid a clear objective.

Maybe we should stop trying to live in an entirely liberal or conservative world. We need conservatives and liberals to make this country work. Liberals come up with the ideas that move us forward, and conservatives are the check on those ideas to keep us from chasing the bad ideas. Both are necessary. Why can’t we respect each other while we disagree? Why can’t we appreciate each other for what we are: Americans?

Posted by: elijah24 | November 13, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

So, there is a mental hospital where a patient can conduct "research this semester on political power using Mesoamerica, Peru, china and Uruk as studies?"

==

I thought the Uruk-hai came from Isengard.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 13, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

If there is, I want to work there. Where I work, we don't even have semesters.

Speaking of Mesoamerica, soon we are going to hear about how Carter giving Panama its country back was not as bad as Obama's readiness to talk about pulling US ground forces out of Japan.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 13, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

thought you were the guy who talks about economics like it's something educated people should know about?

Are you claiming you never heard the term "financial instruments?" Next you'll say you never heard of "market forces" either, which would elevate my respect.

But as it is you're just dodging.

----------------------------------------

Do you mean any investment on paper in terms of US dollars that is going to be worthless due to the fantasy world and economics of BO and today's NeoCom Statist Destructionist Party?

Posted by: leapin | November 13, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Of course, there is a very real possiility he may be institutionalized...

==

I really can't imagine that anyone as deranged as zouk would not be. Just read a few of his posts, how *urgently* he tries to insult us and piss us off (always failing to because he's so extreme it's just comical) .. now try to imagine someone as compulsively nasty as that holding a job, working with other people, living in his own place ... nope, does not gel. This is a mental patient. Probably been Inside for the last ten years.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 13, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Drivl

see what I mean?? Barking mad into the mirror. The voices confusing the old bat. This annoncement arrives several times per day. As if most people here can't spot the blog hag. Next nambla agrees and urges everyone to ignore....... That fills their days.

Posted by: snowbama | November 13, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Two stooges present today. Drivl and loud and dumb. Third stooge- nambla usually busy at the playground in the am.

Are you libs really that dense that you can't distinguish first person from third. Nambla is the accurate moniker for cf8. He knows it.

I know drivl has issues with the voices and often confuses I and you, especially when barking into the mirror. Certainly the rest of you have a firmer grasp of your faculties and language.

Posted by: snowbama | November 13, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

In a liberal world spitzer gives speeches on ethics.

In a liberal world you can promise to close gitmo without knowing anything about it.

In a liberal world, the governor of Alaska, who is capable of decisions, should not be elected.

In a liberal world talking about unemployment should be enough to solve it.

In a liberal world talking about someone all day is equal to ignoring them.

In a liberal world anyone who disagrees is either racist, evil or crazy.

In a liberal world just being liberal carries enough rightousness. No defense of position needed.

Posted by: snowbama | November 13, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Ah, but Chris, wasn't "slowhand" kind of a joke, as Clapton could play faster than any guitarist if he wanted to? Especially back when he was doing a lot of drugs.

With that in mind, you will post a lengthy blog today!

Posted by: MikeK3 | November 13, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Slow-hand fix: The title of the Carrie Prejean sex tape.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | November 13, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Or spell "barrel."

Posted by: mikenmidland | November 13, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Playground lurker? Not so fast...

"I am fully aware that power comes out of the barrell of a gun. I am conducting research this semester on political power using Mesoamerica, Peru, china and Uruk as studies."

I'll bet most playground lurkers can't juxtapose "china and Uruk" in the same phrase.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 13, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

A playground lurker? Yeah, that sounds about right.

Posted by: drindl | November 13, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

drindl writes:
"I wonder what people like this did before the internet? Read comic books all day?"

Perhaps you have your answer in his obsession with NAMBLA.

Posted by: mnteng | November 13, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

typical...

'Federal Election Commission Records show the RNC purchases its insurance from Cigna. Two sales agents for the company said that the RNC’s policy covers elective abortion.

According to several Cigna employees, the insurer offers its customers the opportunity to opt out of abortion coverage — and the RNC did not choose to opt out.'

Posted by: drindl | November 13, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Yes, he really is that lame. He doesn't have a job, or friends or family, and so he just lives this fantasy life online every day, like a lot of losers, thinking he is smart and witty and not even realizing that everyone thinks he's a bore/lunatic.

Of course, there is a very real possiility he may be institutionalized... who else has time to post every 3 minutes all day?

Posted by: drindl | November 13, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Ok, i know im new here, but what is with the NAMBLA refrences? Is it possible that snobama is really so lame, that the only thing he can do to defend himself against clearly superior minds is to call them pedophiles? And if that is the case, why comment on a blog that is a bit to the left anyway?

Posted by: elijah24 | November 13, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Snowglobe must be a Dylan fan. With every post he quotes him: "What good am I if I say foolish things?"

Posted by: nodebris | November 13, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Of course, some hearts have no courage, and must brace themselves.

Posted by: nodebris | November 13, 2009 1:55 AM | Report abuse

Any decisions forthcoming tomorrow? Don't count on it.

Magic eight ball says:

more speeches.

Posted by: snowbama | November 13, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

And here's another one for my esteemed friends in the Republican Party, who seem to have so much trouble with change:

Gentlemen, he said,
I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes,
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning,
Either brace yourself for elimination,
Or else your hearts must have the courage
For the Changing of the Guards.

Posted by: nodebris | November 12, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

"Did he do anything that good later?"

Well, since leapin and snowglobe and the trolls are out in force tonight, here's a little *recent* dylan just for them:

What Good Am I

What good am I if I'm like all the rest,
If I just turned away, when I see how you're dressed,
If I shut myself off so I can't hear you cry,
What good am I?

What good am I if I know and don't do,
If I see and don't say, if I look right through you,
If I turn a deaf ear to the thunderin' sky,
What good am I?

What good am I while you softly weep
And I hear in my head what you say in your sleep,
And I freeze in the moment like the rest who don't try,
What good am I?

What good am I then to others and me
If I've had every chance and yet still fail to see

If my hands tied must I
not wonder within
Who tied them and why
and where must I have been

What good am I if I say foolish things
And I laugh in the face of what sorrow brings
And I just turn my back while you silently die,
What good am I?

Posted by: nodebris | November 12, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Palin's excrement, her "Book" release is pretty gassy

Speaking of humor...

A senior McCain official says, "We don't have to go through this again." Actually, Republicans, you do. You have to learn how to wipe your own a ss. Until you learn how to clean up your own mess, you stink.

Just try to talk about "jobs" and stuff like that. C'mon, tell us Sarah Palin is not relevant, Lindsey Graham is the real deal. Hello? Knock, knock. Is anybody home?

Posted by: shrink2 | November 12, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

==

Thanks for the laugh, zouk

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and gentlemen and trolls, I give you Cream, featuring Eric Clapton:

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Journalist Eric Alterman totally blows up Imus supporter, Post media critic, and (IMO) anti-BHOer Howard Kurtz in a fact-based piece today.
__________

Excerpt:

"What I found most interesting about this context for a discussion of Kurtz, however, is the fact that Alexander never mentions that Kurtz is a married spouse with political, financial, and ideological interests in his wife’s work. I mean this literally. Kurtz is married to former Republican political consultant, Sheri Annis. He frequently writes about her former and potential clients. And yet one rarely if ever sees any disclosure. (On one occasion, on CNN, Kurtz when so far as to interview and plug an author as a “remarkable woman” who was actually paying his wife—through a cutout—to promote the author's book. He added, “I should mention that my wife has done some promotion work for Kim Dozier’s book.”)

Alexander devotes himself instead to the fact Kurtz’s job as the paid host of CNN’s “Reliable Sources” “presents an inescapable conflict that is at odds with Post rules. They state that a reporter or editor ‘cannot accept payment from any person, company, or organization that he or she covers.’ There can be exceptions for some groups, such as broadcast organizations, ‘unless the reporter or editor is involved in coverage of them.’”"

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 12, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

And someone else needs to take his own

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Somebody here needs to get a life.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Hendrix I once heard some album that was earlier recordings of the songs that we know him by .. they were almost identical, most of the riffs the same, but there was just something WRONG with it. Same songs, same guitarist, but the playing was just lame in some hard-to-put-yer-finger-on way.

I was just starting to appreciate how damned good he was (read: starting to do drugs) when the news came over that he'd died.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah a "meteoric rise" as someone put it ... but you know, my first JH album was "Greatest Hits" and it was almost a reprint of his first album. Like he got all his best ideas out in one release and did filler thereafter.

But it wouldn't matter how much filler he released, "All Along the Watchtower" was enough to establish is genius till the heat death.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, speaking of stringed instruments and exports too, Hendrix is an interesting case. Some miracle happened over in England. Something I don't know ever happened to anyone else in rock and roll Hx. He converted himself from really pretty awful to ordinary studio hack ('64-'66) to a still unrivaled genius (strumming and picking schemes that are in a word, impossible) in what seems like a period of just a few months. Are You Experienced '67, then Axis Bold as Love and (my all time favorite) Electric Ladyland in 1968.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 12, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

WaPo has that priceless picture of Quitter Palin in the rotation on the front page, the one where she tries to look "thoughtful."

Like she's seen other people looking thoughtful and she's trying the look on for size.

(*chortle*)

Takes more than a hand under the chin, wabbit ...

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I know about brass and string instruments what do you mean by financial?

==

But as it is you're just dodging.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | November 12, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite

I know about brass and string instruments what do you mean by financial?

Posted by: leapin | November 12, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Don't you have to make something to be able to export something?

==

Aren't you a Republican? One of those addled ninnies who regards "financial instruments" as "making something?"

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

"During his meetings with foreign leaders as he travels through Asia over the next week, Obama said, he would be touting his administration's plans to create an economy that is driven more by U.S. exports and innovation." WaPo now"

Don't you have to make something to be able to export something? As for innovation maybe E-Gore come come up with
something else to go with his previous innovations.

The fantasy world and economics of today's NeoCom Statist Destructionist Party.

Posted by: leapin | November 12, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

TO: "leapin" @ 3:23 p.m.

When the paid blog spammers roll out the boilerplate, you know the forces of justice are getting through.

===================================================

Did This Rogue Program Help Drive the Ft. Hood Shooter to Kill?

SECRET MULTI-AGENCY FED PROGRAM TORTURES, IMPAIRS, PERSECUTES THOUSANDS OF U.S. CITIZENS WITH NATIONWIDE SILENT MICROWAVE /
LASER WEAPONS SYSTEMS, LOCAL VIGILANTISM:
JOURNALIST VICTOR LIVINGSTON

• JOURNO TO FBI: TAKE CONTROL OF DHS-RUN FUSION CENTERS
TO STOP SILENT MICROWAVE / LASER ATTACKS ON U.S. CITIZENS

http://nowpublic.com/world/gestapo-usa-govt-funded-vigilante-network-terrorizes-america OR (if links are corrupted / disabled): http://NowPublic.com/scrivener RE: "GESTAPO USA"

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 12, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

He who stains the sidewalk wrote:

or should I say "posted," not "wrote," since he lifted it from

Poor dumb brute can't even write his own material yet spends all day calling those of us who can and do "stupid."

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

You set yourself a very high bar, Chris. When he plays slow, every note is impeccable.

==

Listen to his solo on "Go Back Home" on Stephen Stills' first solo album ..

Hendrix played on another track, and it's not even noteworthy, Clapton stole the show.

... has he ever done anything that good since the three year gap?

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.

Wrong AGAIN.

We don't want you guys making important decisions based on nutty beliefs in spirits and ghosts and telepathic petitioning.

And speaking for myself, I'll defend your right to believe in myths and fables but will insist you keep it to yourself and how DARE you speak matter-of-factly as though the existence of your spirit is established.

You want to beat your hate and prejudice and nutty ideas into your own kids' heads there isn't much anyone can do to stop you, at least not until someone else sees the bruises and the welts.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Actually if a conservative is a homosexual he cruises for sex in toilets, he doesn't want a partner, he chooses the most degrading and shameful life he can manage and feels dutifully ashamed after every sordid grope.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.

==

heh heh heh this one is worth singling out. This is a monumental lie.

I'm gay, I've argued about politics with other gays for decades. And I can tell you there is nobody more compulsive in his self-justification than a gay conservative. I would say that the typical gay Republican puts more time into justifying himself ON A DAILY BASIS than average jerks spend watching television. I'm talking four to six hours EVERY DAY sputtering about choosing party affiliation on "one issue only."

This is true for everything you wrote but this one is just spectacularly wrong-a.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it."

Ok, but I don't want to hear you b*tching about how you didn't get your swine flu vaccine. I chose a job that provides for it.

Posted by: DDAWD | November 12, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

==

And as he walks into church on Sunday morning to listen to sermons based on the teachings of Jesus he steps over people on the sidewalk dying of treatable ailments and smiles smugly to himself.

You think in one-dimensional caricatures with no foundation in reality.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Chris you work hard. You deserve the time off.

==

yeah I can't imagine any more daunting task than paraphrasing GOP talking points to make Republicans look good. The Aegean stables were nothing next to massaging the data to find good news for the Party of Palin.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

If a conservative doesn’t like guns, he doesn’t buy one.

If a liberal doesn’t like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn’t eat meat.

If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

If a conservative sees a foreign threat, he thinks about how to defeat his enemy.

A liberal wonders how to surrender gracefully and still look good.

If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.

If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

If a Black man or Hispanic are conservative, they see themselves as independently successful.

Their liberal counterparts see themselves as victims in need of government protection.

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.

A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

If a conservative doesn’t like a talk show host, he switches channels.

Liberals demand that those they don’t like be shut down.

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn’t go to church.

A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.

A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.

If a conservative slips and falls in a store, he gets up, laughs and is embarrassed.

If a liberal slips and falls, he grabs his neck, moans like he’s in labor and then sues.

Posted by: leapin | November 12, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

URGENT TO: TEAM OBAMA / D. AXELROD/ R. EMANUEL /R. GIBBS / JAY CARNEY / A.G. HOLDER

Did this rogue program help drive the Ft. Hood shooter to kill?

SECRET MULTI-AGENCY FED PROGRAM TORTURES, IMPAIRS, PERSECUTES THOUSANDS OF U.S. CITIZENS WITH NATIONWIDE SILENT MICROWAVE/LASER WEAPONS SYSTEMS, LOCAL VIGILANTISM: JOURNALIST VICTOR LIVINGSTON

• Secret Service Director Mark Sullivan

• FEMA Director Craig Fugate

• NSA Director Lt. Gen. Keith Alexander

• DIA Director Maj. Gen. Michael Maples

• DOJ Asst. Atty. Gen./National Security David Kris

• CIA Deputy Director Stephen Kappes

• FBI Director Robert Mueller

TEAM OBAMA, CONGRESS MUST ASK:

What do they know -- and when did they know it?

OR http://NowPublic.com/scrivener RE: "GESTAPO USA"

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 12, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The other idiot is back now. Everyone else might as well leave and let these 'special' children play in the sandbox together.

==

Just ignore him. He has nothing to offer here and only comes in hope of getting attention, like a squalling three year old.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I saw Winwood with Traffic back when Chris Wood was still alive, and he died in '82. Winwood looked like the king of acid burnout, shocking, like the end of "Wild in the Streets" where the over-35s have been force-fed LSD for months.

"Let it Rain" was from that incredible Clapton solo album, which IIRC was around the time of Blind Faith. He did "Let it Rain" in the D&theDs concert I went to.

Pepper's peak can be found on the "Besame Mucho" import or the big Galaxy box set.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow looks like a whole pack of puking dogs just walked by. Step gingerly.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

ALBANY, N.Y. – It turns out that the special election in New York for a U.S. House seat may not be over after all.

After last week's election, Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman conceded and Democrat Bill Owens was sworn in.

The routine recanvassing of votes, however, shows Owens' lead has narrowed to 3,000 votes. The outcome will depend on how not-yet-counted absentee ballots break.

If the count overturns the election, Owens could be removed from office.

The Syracuse Post-Standard first reported that problems in some counties resulted in underreporting of votes for Hoffman on the night of the election.

Hoffman's campaign is monitoring the recanvassing. Owens' spokesman didn't immediately return a message left by The Associated Press.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ACORN is enraged. how dare any one question an election they fixed after the fact. It's not right. go to afghanistan if you want to question elections, or Iran, but not here, not when a Democrat won. Where is Jimmy Carter?

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Chris you work hard. You deserve the time off.

Posted by: Gator-ron | November 12, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

The idea of a “summit” is typical of a community organizer mentality. Convene the stakeholders, let them vent about the problem, give a shout-out to those already engaged in efforts to address the problem, get at least one member of the “establishment” that caused the trauma to attend and be contrite, define a vague action plan, stress the need for the whole community to get actively involve, break into small groups to discuss the issues, put people’s thoughts on flip chart paper, have the break-out groups’ scribes report back to the larger group, be sure everyone signs their names and contact information on a clipboard, and then schedule a few interviews with the local media to exaggerate the outcomes of the event.

As the Summit ends in December, the room will be all a-buzz with optimism and bonhomie. Then nothing will change. It’s about feeling good, not doing good.

At Obama’s Summit, we can expect some announcement like an extension of unemployment benefits, or a commitment from an administration-friendly company to hire x-hundred more employees in an inner city, or the formation of a special blue ribbon commission of Beltway luminaries and captains of industry tasked to come up with additional solutions to make “The Turn in Ten” – how the decline in jobs will turn around in 2010 to a growth in jobs. More new government jobs

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

John Berry, President Obama's director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM), has issued a new directive that is clearly designed to weed out any Bush administration political appointees who ''careered-into'' the civil service. The directive also effectively establishes a partisan political factor in hiring for career civil service positions in the federal bureaucracy

Remind anyone of the Stasi or the CCCP yet?

I guess when they promise to save jobs, it is only campaign contributing liberals who need apply.

Obama’s planned December Jobs Summit is exactly what a community organizer would do. Today, President Obama announced that he would host a Jobs Summit in December. The question, he said, is – How do we add jobs and grow the economy? It’s pretty clear to the conscious that the President hasn’t a clue how to grow the economy. And, every day more of us suspect that job growth isn’t even part of his agenda for the next few years.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Prison sobriety. Forcing wellness saves lives, and careers too, no doubt about it.

But of course, if I didn't think that I could not do what I do - we force people into treatment and force them to participate or they don't get out.
as an aside, it is pretty obvious the killer psychiatrist was a pity pot dwelling professional hurt collector who spent his days like Timothy McV, just looking for an excuse. But enough of that.

Love Art Pepper, and I also love listening to Let it Rain and Anyday as I run, I think I'll do that now, in between rain squalls and case reviews. You know, speaking of blind faith, Stevie Winwood is still fun to watch and as for addicts still standing, Tom frik'n' Petty. His brain must be made of Teflon.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 12, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

two stooges present - drivl and NAMBLA.

But where is Loud and Dumb? the conversion from blog to "Moonbats R Us" is almost complete for the day.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drindl | November 12, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Instead, the narrative Obama White House officials are writing about themselves is that they are uncompromising, ungracious, and ready to run roughshod over popular opinion. They have mastered the Chicago way of politics: reward friends, punish enemies, and jam the opposition. Voters have a tendency to quickly grow tired of pugnacious governance.

That's only the beginning of Mr. Axelrod's problems. If the 2010 midterms are nationalized, they will be a referendum on Mr. Obama's increasingly unpopular policies. For example, in the newest Gallup survey released on Monday, only 29% say they'd advise their congressman to vote for the health-care bill. This is down from 40% last month. A Rasmussen poll out this week shows that 42% of Americans strongly oppose the bill, while only 25% strongly favor it.

Mr. Obama is increasingly seen as governing from the left—the latest Gallup poll shows that 54% of Americans say the president's policies have been mostly liberal and only 34% say they are mostly moderate. That's a risky position to be in when the country leans to the right.

High unemployment and the president's low approval on jobs and the economy (which is at 46% in a CNN/Opinion Research poll released last week), won't by themselves sink Democrats. But what will hurt are the beliefs that Mr. Obama's $787 billion stimulus bill was a flop and that he doesn't know how to speed up the economic recovery.

Mr. Obama's approval on handling the deficit in the CNN/Opinion Research survey is now 39%. The president's plans to triple the deficit over the next decade is causing a level of angst among independents that we haven't seen since Ross Perot ran for president in the 1990s. This angst has given Republicans a four-point lead in Gallup's generic ballot (48% to 44%), putting the party in a better position than it was in spring 1994, just a few months before its historic takeover of Congress.
Democrats increasingly recognize their vulnerability. Of the 80 House Democrats whose districts were carried by Mr. Bush or John McCain, nine voted against the stimulus, 21 against a budget resolution that called for doubling the national debt in four years, 36 against cap and trade, and 36 against health care. Defections will grow. Nothing concentrates a troubled centrist's mind like a coming election.

Maybe the Obama inner sanctum realizes that its agenda is unpopular and will cost many Democrats their seats next year but calculates that enough will survive to keep the party in control of Congress. Perhaps they have decided that Mr. Obama's goal of turning America into a European-style social democracy is worth risking a voter revolt.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

If you ever wonder how liberals actually win elections, you need to get inside the ACORN mentality:

What Are the Odds of 0 Doug Hoffman Votes in Three Different Polling Places?

There's something strange going on up in New York's 23rd congressional district, as noted by the TCOT guys.

Unless Conservative candidate Doug Hoffman got exactly zero votes in the town of Fenner (Owens got 157, Scozzafava got 248), and at one polling place in the town of Hamilton (Owens got 75, Scozzafava got 79), and at one polling place in the town of Sullivan (Owens got 173, Scozzafava got 251), the initial vote totals look rather hinky.

By comparison, the lowest number of votes that Owens got at any polling place was 57; the lowest number the withdrawn candidate Scozzafava got was 2. It's not impossible that no one in any of those places chose to vote for Hoffman, but it certainly seems unusual for a guy who got 45 percent district-wide.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

That "civil" war is nothing compared to what the Stupak amendment is going to do to the Dems.

Posted by: JakeD | November 12, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Civil war within the civil war--eventually these idiots will just rip each other's eyes out.

"The Tea Party movement is in danger of being ripped apart by internal rancor.

For months, the Tea Party Patriots have been embroiled in a dispute with a former leader, Amy Kremer, over her involvement with the Tea Party Express, a rival faction of Tea Partiers which the Patriots see as inauthentic and overly tied to the GOP.

And now Kremer has revealed that TPP is suing her."

Posted by: drindl | November 12, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Strongly disagree. He's had some dips, but a lot of his best work has been since. Blood on the Tracks, Oh Mercy, "Angelina," "Up To Me," "Abandoned Love," etc., etc.

==

When an artist I like disappoints me I usually turn away and never go back. At his peak Dylan sang

"Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn, suicide remarks are torn from the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying."

Did he do anything that good later?

I saw Yes in concert five times, Jethro Tull four times .. each did a release that left me cold and that was that. And I'm much less likely to buy a vocalist album than an instrumentalist one .. the Dylan of social critique offered superlative lyrics, I sure didn't listen for his smoke-cured (and later smoke-destroyed) voice.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Unemployment is beyond 10 percent, and Obama is offering a summit, the same solution he suggested for a dispute between a professor and a cop. While Americans worry about whether their job is safe and how they'll pay the rent, lawmakers on Capitol Hill are focused almost entirely on a gargantuan, incomprehensible health-care bill and a similarly complicated cap-and-trade bill. And now, there quite possibly was a jihadist, executing an attack on one of the largest U.S. military bases in the world, at the moment we're told the president wants more time to review his options on Afghanistan.

The stage appears set for Obama's "heck of a job" moment.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

If Joe Cao wants to be a Congressman instead of a bedwetter I'm sure the DemocratIC Party would welcome him.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"I keep forgetting that NAMBLA
Posted by: snowbama"

Chris, the pedophile is using code words to troll for little boys on this board again. Can't the WaPo clean this crap up?

Posted by: drindl | November 12, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"Since then a lost and confused artist leaping from one cause to another, including gospel."

I remember everyone freaked out when he did the Victoria's Secret commercial a few years ago. I was watching a '65 press conference with him a while back, and a reporter asked him what he would sell if he ever went commercial? "Women's lingerie," he replied.

Posted by: nodebris | November 12, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I see they let Mental Boy all alone in the dayroom today. Must of upped his prozac -- he can't stop typing frnatically. Happily one can scoll up and step over the vomit, as you say gat. Still stinks up the place though.

Next winger target -- Cao:

"Yesterday during an interview with Rep. Joseph Cao (R-LA) — the lone Republican to vote for the House health care bill last week — Washington Times radio channeled the GOP criticism. “He didn’t even stick around very long during his trip,” the host said. But Cao defended what the administration has done for the area:

CAO: Well, I just want to set the record straight, that even though the President only visited New Orleans once since his election, it was a brief stay, but this administration has been tremendous for the people of the 2nd district. Secretary Napolitano has been down here three or four times, the secretary of HUD, the secretary of Education, they have been down here numerous times. [...]

So I guess for me, it’s not that important to have the visit of the President, its much more important for me that I have a good working relationship with the administration and have the commitment…from the administration to push all the recovery issues of the 2nd District forward and they have been doing that in the last 9 months."

Posted by: drindl | November 12, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I keep forgetting that NAMBLA and Drivl prefer to control all content on this blog. this includes urging anyone who actually interacts to stop it. sound like anyone we know in high places?

I am fully aware that power comes out of the barrell of a gun. I am conducting research this semester on political power using Mesoamerica, Peru, china and Uruk as studies. simply assembling enemies was not the downfall of these polities. there was a heavy dose of technology involved.

My personal opinion is different. I accept and embrace other cultures when I travel there. but I am not the leader of the US. We carry a special responsibility to the world as the ultimate backstop of freedom. this requires that we treat despotic regions differently from our friends. and I don't mean in the Obama way where we embrace our enemies and shun our allies.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Snobama, are you of the impression that might makes right?

==

Save your breath. You're trying to argue with a deranged loser in a mental hospital. We ignore him here. Just don't even read his spew at all, skip over it.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

In a word, addiction. Whether Johnny Winter, Stevie RV, countless others like Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, on and on the list goes it seems like once a virtuoso gets into it (and if they are lucky enough to survive), on the other side they just can't play like they could before. In my work I see terrible damage to peoples' brains happening in the readmissions, year over year. They are not the same people they once were, or could have been.
It is so sad.

==

One stellar exception: alto sax jazz virtuoso Art Pepper. Long gap in his ouvre from about '68 to '75 while he was in prison for heroin .. long struggle back to acceptance, some help from concert tours in Japan .. and then his very best work around 1979. The two concerts in July in Yubin Chokin Hall in Tokyo are his absolute peak.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Snobama, are you of the impression that might makes right? do you think that when an American leader or dignitary visits a foreign leader (s)he should not only ignore, but disrespect the traditions and cultural norms of the host state?
You and your ilk are classic bullies. The Aztecs and Inca practiced a similar dominance before the Spanish arrived in Central America. They enjoyed absolute power for a long time...but play the tape to the end. Less than 800 Spaniards took out each of these empires. They did so by uniting these empire's enemies against them. Now there are no Aztecs. No Inca. No Maya.
Thomas Jefferson probably wasn't the first to say it, but is often credited for it: "Whoever fails to learn history, will be doomed to repeat it." We can’t just go pushing other nations around, even our enemies. We have to be able to coexist as a global citizen. Sometimes that means donning veils for female dignitaries, or bowing before a foreign leader in his own country. Sometimes it means recognizing the failures of our past and the injustice we have inflicted on the world, and offering contrition for it. It doesn’t make us weak. It makes us good. I know YOU won’t be persuaded to this way of thinking, but if you will continue to recite Glenn Becks talking points for anyone who would listen, someone should be here to give the undecided an alternative viewpoint.

Posted by: elijah24 | November 12, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"I sure haven't heard it"

It is so sad.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 12, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

We don't expect you to understand a genius. It has got to be the most foreign of objects, even given your back ground, intercepting foreign objects in all sorts of interesting ways. A pitiful lonely failure of a code writer has nothing to do with creativity and thought, you are simply a cog in a rote machine. no intelligence is expected or forthcoming. you have found your place, pretending to work and actually conducting mass displays of your own ignorance and opinionated garbage.

go back to your jacuzzi and impress yourself with yourself.

It will, alas, have to remain that way. no one else is interested.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Watch out for the vomit on the sidewalk, don't step in it.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

In the future, the Obama administration will be judged by whether or not this job growth effort works. We can afford health care expansion, stimulus borrowing, little wars and all the other question marks...if a sustainable growth in jobs begins next year at the latest. Otherwise, it won't just be the elections that get ugly, the mood of the country is already pretty bad.

But I said it before and I'll say it again, switching America's role in the world economy from "consumer of last resort" back to the net exporter, even creditor status we enjoyed before the first oil shock, that is going to be really difficult. It is going to take a lot more effort than providing low interest loans to this or that industry.

"Rather than offering a short-term fix for joblessness, the White House has been focused on a difficult, longer-term strategy for improving the nation's job market.

The administration has backed huge investments to stimulate the renewable energy industry, as part of a plan to wean the nation off the debt-driven consumer economy that has fueled growth in the recent past.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 12, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it with CC and the has-been rock artists. First Dylan, now Clapton. Clapton was pivotal, vita, irreplacable in the history of rock .. without Cream there would have been nothing like the history of rock music. And Blind Faith. And Derek and the Dominoes (I saw that tour, front row, incredible, thought EricC kinda acted like an azz).

But then there was that three-year gap puncutated with that Ocean Blvd garbage

"but I did not shoot thuh .... dep-yoo-teee ..."

And if he did anything significant since then I sure haven't heard it.

Dylan? "John Wesley Harding." Since then a lost and confused artist leaping from one cause to another, including gospel.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 12, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

snowbama:

You've got it all wrong. Barack Obama is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

Posted by: JakeD | November 12, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry. is it already moonbat hour? where are the three stooges?

I thought we had a rule. thought and intelligence complete with evidence and facts in the morning.

Loony leftist opinion, insults, miasma, and gossip led by barely intelligent social victims of their own egos and bruised accomplishment in the afternoon.

Of course this blog turns into NAMBLA's (aka CF8) personal facebook page in the evening and wee hours. you can find recipes, travel reviews, pick up lines and good playgrounds for hunting.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"snowglobe had way too much coffee this morning."

Forget it, he's rolling.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | November 12, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

snowglobe had way too much coffee this morning.

Posted by: nodebris | November 12, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

So where are all of his school chums, best friends, and old flames? The groups he hung with? His teachers, neighbors?

Where are the anecdotes of what Obama was like, his interests and predilections? Was he friendly, funny, insightful? Did he win any prizes or trophies? Pen any papers?

Obama was president of the Harvard Law Review. Yet from his former colleagues we find no accounts of putting out the journal together under his leadership.

He was a lecturer on constitutional law. Why hasn't a single student come forth and offered evidence like a good attorney?

Why the silence? Could it be that Obama left no dent, not even a single footprint? Is there nothing there?

When I envision the youth of other public figures, my impressions are vivid:

Little Bill Clinton: people-pleaser, Mama's boy, showoff.

Young Hillary: brainiac, smartest girl in school, bossy.

W: wisecracker, class clown, smart-aleck.

McCain: impetuous, volatile, ornery.

Sarah: sweet, popular, every teacher's favorite, Miss Congeniality.

Young Barry: _________________. Blank.

Only this: stranger in a strange land.

Obama's indifference and distaste are on display every day. He golfs while unemployment surges. He pontificates after an attack against America.

Why the "let them eat cake" attitude? Is it because he's pleased that the Left's long-laid plan to decimate capitalism is working nicely? Is he stubborn, not wanting to do what he doesn't want to do?

I'd say yes. But there's something much more unsettling.

He may have a limited ability to care.

Sure, Obama loves his wife, children, dog Bo, and himself -- especially himself. And he relishes his far left ideology.

But the working stiff, the heart and soul of this country? I don't see it. The United States? I don't think so.

And that's why Obama should never have been elected president.

A man or woman can be a decent president without getting As in school or graduating from the Ivy League. He or she does not need to have had a Brady Bunch childhood.

The person can even lack experience if he or she is committed to working 24/7, learning the important stuff, and seeking expert advice.

But there's one requirement that is nonnegotiable: Any viable candidate for president needs to be able to care about us.

And, frankly, I don't know if this president is capable of it.

Robin is a licensed psychotherapist and a recovering liberal in Berkeley.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Some would say Obama's cool detachment is narcissism. But narcissists are charmers; they know exactly what to say and do, even it's all hot air.

Others think that Obama is disengaged because he's elitist, arrogant. The day-to-day grunt-work is beneath him. His motto: I'd rather be golfing.

All of the above may be true, but it's something else: he seems off to me.

During a "60 Minutes" interview with Steve Kroft when the stock market was sinking, Obama giggled. He wasn't embarrassed afterward, or apologetic. More worrisome than his bizarre behavior was that he didn't regard it as strange.

Then, last week, we're faced with a national crisis: soldiers killed and gravely injured by an apparent Jihadist in the guise of a military doctor. When announcing the catastrophe, what does Obama do?

He drones on and on for three minutes about Native American health issues, even doing a shout-out. In a monotone voice, Obama then reports that soldiers have been shot. He's nonchalant, flat, as though he's reporting the weather.

Obama may have felt continually out of place and alien: black in a white family, American in Indonesia, middle class with average grades at a rich kids' prep school, and child of an odd, Communist-leaning family.

In Dreams, he reveals how he started detaching. About living with his grandparents from preteen on, he writes, "I was to live with strangers." And: "I'd arrived at an unspoken pact with my grandparents; I could live with them and they'd leave me alone so long as I kept my troubles out of sight."

All grown up, Obama remains hermetically sealed. Although he's been a media star for a couple of years, we have no idea who he is inside.

I've often wondered why people haven't come forth to say, "I knew Barry when..." We live in a media-saturated, exhibitionist world where everyone wants his three minutes of fame.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Warning to Liberals:

Facts ahead.

"Republicans have moved ahead of Democrats by 48 percent to 44 percent among registered voters," noted a Gallup Poll released Tuesday. This year, "independents' preference for the Republican candidate in their districts has grown, from a 1-point advantage in July to the current 22-point gap."

If drivl had a brain, it would explode. More accurately implode. Liberal brains are like black holes. they collapse on themselves and prevent any thought from escaping.

Of course the notion of "liberal brain" is purely theoretical. One has never actually been observed. It is presumed to make up most of the dark matter in the universe.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DDAWD | November 12, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

One of President Obama's first acts in office was to ban the phrase "war on terror" in favor of "overseas contingency operations" in government usage. He then traveled to Cairo, declared that he had "known Islam on three continents," and falsely claimed that Muslims had "enriched the United States" since its founding and that Islam has a "proud tradition of tolerance." (Perhaps he might ask the folks at Cantor Fitzgerald and United Airlines about Islamic "enrichment" and "tolerance.") He then apologized for American involvement in a coup against Iranian socialist Mohammed Mossadegh in 1953 (a brilliant masterstroke of American foreign policy that kept both the Soviets and the Islamists out of Iran for 26 years), yet stood idly by while the Iranian theocrats rigged their own election this summer. It's now evident that Obama will not prevent the Islamic Revolutionary State from getting nuclear weapons. There will be no military action -- and no sanctions, either. Iran will get the bomb.

In October, only a week after Islamist militants stormed the headquarters of the Pakistani military, Secretary of State Clinton traveled to Pakistan. The radical Yale-educated feminist donned a headscarf in submission -- and the Islamist fanatics responded to her visit by killing hundreds in suicide attacks.

We have reached a point in Afghanistan that the Soviet Union reached in the 1980s: we no longer believe our own propaganda. The Soviets claimed that they lived in a workers' paradise and they were merely bringing the great benefits of communism to Afghanistan. But they knew it was a lie.

Similarly, we say that we're going to bring freedom and democracy to Afghanistan. Maybe we could, of course -- if we wanted to. But we don't. That would require remaking Afghan society the way we remade Japanese society. And President Obama campaigned on the promise of remaking America -- not Afghanistan.

This summer, the president stated that he's "not comfortable" using the term "victory" in Afghanistan. How can he possibly ask troops to risk life and limb in that country after saying that? His subsequent three-month indecision with regard to the Army's request for 40,000 more troops further betrays the fact that we're simply not committed to victory. One can scarcely comprehend FDR openly debating, in full view of Hitler and the world, a request for reinforcements during the Battle of the Bulge.

One must assume that he is still waiting for that fifth option to be offered by his generals.

""Mr Present ident, We suggest you turn tail, pull out, surrender and apologize.""

now that is an option Barry can get behind.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Two days after the mass shooting, the Times' laughably predictable headlines about the Fort Hood bloodbath were:

-- "Preliminary Inquiry Finds No Link to Terror Plot"

-- "Painful Stories Take a Toll on Military Therapists"

-- "When Soldiers' Minds Snap"

The Los Angeles Times jumped to the exact same conclusion, running an article on the massacre titled: "Fort Hood Tragedy Rocks Military as It Grapples With Mental Health Issues." Time magazine followed suit, posting an article titled: "Stresses at Fort Hood Were Likely Intense for Hasan."

Inasmuch as Maj. Hasan had never been deployed overseas, much less seen combat, liberals seem to have discovered the first recorded case of "pre-traumatic stress syndrome."

Their point was: The real victim of Fort Hood was Maj. Hasan. Indeed, all Muslims were the victims that day.

The media quickly set to work assembling lachrymose accounts of taunts Hasan had been subjected to in the military for being a Muslim, the most harrowing of which seems to have been his car being keyed at his off-base apartment complex.

I suppose we should be relieved that liberals weren't claiming Hasan snapped because of the dimming prospects for a health care bill by the end of the year

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I see you have fallen for drivl's drivl.

In VA all those middle voters went for the R, not the tax raising leftist. How did NJ turn out in a state even more skewed to the left? Well if you listen to drivl et al, you will come up with "the moon is made of green cheese" or whatever media matters printed that morning.

I would state that there is a 40/40 base on both sides, that may not turn out to vote but will not cross lines. It is the soft middle that is up for grabs and has a tendency to lean right. This spells problems for socialists.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Back in the real world however:

Yesterday over 500,000 people reported for the unemployment line for the first time.

Barry was silent on this one.

In drivl's world this is an expanding work force.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Ok snobama, admittedly I am terrible at math, so maybe you are right. Please explain it to me. My understanding goes like this: about 20-30% of this countries electorate is devout, conservative tea-party quality republican. Another 10% are fiscally or socially conservative, and leaning to the right. Another 30% is centrist and have no political ties. They vote however they feel is right in a given election. The rest are liberals or left learners who will only vote republican when a remarkable candidate comes along. You won’t get them anyway. But if you cut out the 30% in the middle, and the 10% that is center-leaning-right, how will you win elections with only the 20-30% of this country that is ideologically pure? What is the equation that puts your side back in power?

Posted by: elijah24 | November 12, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it was kind of a joke to needle the conservatives, but the point would be that life would be easier if we could replace all the blue dogs with more liberal congressmen, but that's just not a choice we're given. It's between a blue dog and a conservative Republican.

Posted by: DDAWD | November 12, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

try the circus.

this morning Barry announced that he personally saved over 20 billion gazillion jobs personally. and that was before lunch alone.
Even leftist news orginazations were skeptical.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

ddawd, you posted:

"Sure, it would be nice to have a bunch of Nancy Pelosis everywhere..."

If you were jesting, disregard my question.
If not,
------------------------
WHY?
------------------------
Of course, I cannot tell Sen. Boxer from Speaker Pelosi, so maybe there are a small bunch of them everywhere, at least in CA, as we correspond.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | November 12, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

That's politics. It's a terrible business for an ideological purist. If that's what you want, go become an activist. There's always a tradeoff. The thing is to realize that a moderate Democrat is better than having a Republican in a given district. Sure, it would be nice to have a bunch of Nancy Pelosis everywhere, but that's just not realistic. You have to cater to each district separately. Politicians aren't ideological angels and I don't expect them to be. You've got to get votes and that means appealing to the lowest common denominator.

But when Lindsey Graham is considered too liberal, then something is severely wrong in the ranks.

Posted by: DDAWD | November 12, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Drivl thinks increasing your share of votes in elections is shrinking. Drivl thinks having every Repub plus 40 dems is shrinking your ideas and ideologically centrist. Drivl thinks what she is told from other extreme blogs. Drivl thinks pigs can fly.

Rs don't cate what drivl thinks

the word thinks is being used very loosly here, for obvious reasons.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

'Doing anything else would require questioning some core tenets of their political philosophy - and nobody is eager to do that, at either end of the political spectrum."

Dems did it, Brian. and that's why we have Blue Dogs and moderate and liberal Dems -- a whole spectrum. When our party was out of power, we expanded our tent and that's why we are in the majority, and will stay in the majority.

Instead, the R's are shrinking theirs -- demanding more ideological purity at the expense of solving problems voters want solved. Rightwingers, however, will keep doing the same thing over and over agian, and expecting a different result.

Posted by: drindl | November 12, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nodebris | November 12, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to m_i_a for clarification on Clapton nickname. Replay "Disraeli Gears" for confirmation ("SWLABR" track).

***

Was the Fort Hood Shooter a Target of THIS:

SECRET MULTI-AGENCY FED PROGRAM SILENTLY TORTURES, IMPAIRS, PERSECUTES U.S. CITIZENS WITH MICROWAVE/LASER RADIATION AND LOCAL VIGILANTISM, SAYS MAINSTREAM JOURNALIST

* Thousands of Americans, deemed to be "dissidents" or undesirables, targeted by Bush legacy program for debilitating microwave/laser assault, held hostage in their own homes to fed-supported vigilante "community policing" stalking units, equipped with warrantless GPS devices, who vandalize and terrorize as local police look the other way.

* "Directed energy weapons," portable units and a nationwide installation employing cell towers and satellites, induce weakness, exhaustion, head and body aches, physical and neurological impairment, strokes, aneurysms, cancer -- and many victims do not realize what is making them sick.

* Regional Homeland Security- administered "fusion centers" reportedly serve as command centers for covert electromagnetic radiation attacks, pervasive surveillance, financial sabotage of those identified as "dissidents," "trouble-makers" or slandered as threats to society.

* Use of microwave weaponry to torture and impair political opponents recently confirmed by deposed Honduras President Manuel Zelaya.

* Pleas for justice, to local police and FBI, go unanswered -- as do demands for a Department of Justice Civil Rights Division investigation and congressional hearings.

"These are crimes against humanity and the Constitution, being perpetrated under the cover of national security and 'safe streets' by multiple federal and local agencies and commands -- an American genocide hiding in plain sight, enabled by the naivete of those who think 'it can't happen here.'" -- Victor Livingston, former reporter for WTXF-TV Philadelphia, Phila. Bulletin, N.Y. Daily News, St. Petersburg Times; producer/host, MSG Network Sports Business Report; columnist, NowPublic.com/scrivener.

JOURNO TO FBI: TAKE CONTROL OF DHS-RUN FUSION CENTERS
TO STOP SILENT MICROWAVE / LASER ATTACKS ON U.S. CITIZENS

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 12, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@bsimon1
"What's happening now is the Obama administration has taken the ideological middle ground with pragmatic solutions to the problems we face. That leaves the GOP two options - find common ground with the President, or continue to oppose everything he does. In some respects, I think the latter course is psychologically easier to choose. It also allows them to explain away the faults of the Bush admin as being insufficiently conservative. Voila! two problems solved - explaining away the debacle of GOP governance in the prior administration, and also opposing the Dem alternative of this administration. Doing anything else would require questioning some core tenets of their political philosophy - and nobody is eager to do that, at either end of the political spectrum."

---------------

Very, very well said.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | November 12, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"The English audiences would wait out the delay by doing what is called a "slow handclap"."

Perhaps the correct interpretation is that The Fix has requested a comparable tolerance for his restringing over the next two days.

Clap.

Posted by: bsimon1 | November 12, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

-pamela -
It is party human nature that we reflexively find fault with everything the opposition does. Take sports fans, for instance - two sides can see the same play an fans of one team will agree with the referee's call, while the others argue he needs glasses. Going back to the Bush admin, it was a very rare Dem that congratulated President Bush when he made the right decision.

Posted by: bsimon1 | November 12, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"For all you Friday Line lovers, never fear. There will be a Line tomorrow."

See if you can get it done before 4:30 this time. Thanks in advance.

Posted by: bsimon1 | November 12, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

For anyone who might find the Sarah Palin book tough sledding (no pun intended), Carrie Prejean is also coming out with a book.

She was on Larry King last night to flack this fluff. She claimed she has been "Palin-ized" and, borrowing a page from the Palin book, refused to take calls, at one point removing her mike and threatening to leave when a call was mistakenly put through to her and she didn't like the question.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | November 12, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Lindsey Graham is an intereting politician. I disagree with most of his positions, but they seems to be based on reason founded on his philosophy of government, not a knee-jerk reaction (R ideas = good, D ideas = bad). How anyone can look at his voting record and call him a RINO is truly amazing. But it would seem voting record and political philosophy matter not, his willingness to (occasionally) work acrossthe aisle, discuss ideas with fellow legislators, and work toward finding solutions for the country make him a pariah in some circles. Is it any wonder that President Obama has had such a hard time working in a bipartisan fashion? How many Republioans will risk being accused of "tarnishing freedom"?

Posted by: -pamela | November 12, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

How can they plan to win elections or be, in any way, a viable political party, if Lindsay Graham is to liberal to get their support?

Posted by: elijah24 | November 12, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"“bipartisanship continues to weaken the Republican brand and tarnish the ideals of freedom.”

The Republican brand? Right up there with Yugo and New Coke.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | November 12, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

The Wingnut Civll War Continue -- next scalp-Lindsay Graham:

"On Monday, the Charleston County Republican Party’s executive committee “took the unusual step” of officially censuring Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC). The local GOP committee admonished Graham for stepping across party lines to work with Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) on a bipartisan clean energy bill and other pieces of legislation. The censure stated that Graham’s “bipartisanship continues to weaken the Republican brand and tarnish the ideals of freedom.”

Part of the fury from the right against Graham is being spurred by the oil and coal industry. The oil company front group “American Energy Alliance” has blanketed South Carolina with ads smearing Graham for seeking to address climate change.

The pressure against Graham has also stemmed from his criticism of hate radio and Fox News host Glenn Beck. “Only in America can you make that much money crying,” said Graham, mocking Beck in early October. Beck has responded with a slime campaign against Graham that he typically reserves for liberals. The leader of the Charleston Republican Party, Lin Bennett, is also a member of Glenn Beck’s 9/12 organization in South Carolina. According to its website, the Charleston GOP claims to work closely with tea party groups and Beck’s 9/12 activists in selecting its favored candidates.

Will Graham be able to stand up to the angry backlash being cultivated by far right voices and entrenched corporations interests? At a Graham town hall in Greenville last month, activist Harry Kimball of “RINO HUNT” protested by constructing a display that portrayed Graham, as well as other GOP moderates, being flushed down a toilet:

KIMBALL: This is for every RINO who has failed to represent us. [...] [the toilet represents] flushing them, flushing them."

'bipartisanship weakens the brand' tells you how far off the cliff and away from any pretense of caring about this country these traitors have gone. and the 'ideals of freedom' drool shows they're into jingoland.

Posted by: drindl | November 12, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

He's young, mark and perhaps does not understand that to which he alludes, or compares himself to.

Elijah, don't bother. it is a mere prolonged fart sounding, do not pay attention.

Posted by: drindl | November 12, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Snobama, you would rip on any decision he makes. You are practicing a classic self-fulfilling prophecy. Even if he makes the decision you originally supported, you would change your mind under the assumption that if it is his decision, it must be the wrong one.

Posted by: elijah24 | November 12, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: elijah24 | November 12, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Anita dunn joins the legions under obama's bus.

How's that Glenn beck boycott working out?

More viewers in an hour than the entire day combined on all three lefty cables. Another liberal "success".

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Dither on obambi. Looks like four reasonable options just don't fit into his worldview.

Perhaps a giant, inneffective takeover with bloated budgets and green initiatives that is guaranteed not to work is more his style. He could blame soldiers for being belligerent and only sign a plan designed by leftist socialist non military pinkos. Sprinkle in a few deadlines, some fundraising speeches and it could be the perfect plan for Afghanistan.

Posted by: snowbama | November 12, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

From wikipedia;

It was during this time period that Clapton's Yardbirds rhythm guitarist Chris Dreja recalled that whenever Clapton broke a guitar string during a concert, he would stay on stage and replace it. The English audiences would wait out the delay by doing what is called a "slow handclap". Clapton told his official biographer, Ray Coleman, that, "My nickname of 'Slowhand' came from Giorgio Gomelsky. He coined it as a good pun. He kept saying I was a fast player, so he put together the slow handclap phrase into Slowhand as a play on words".

Let us not confuse the active life and accomplished blues rock style of the most prolific rock guitarist of our time with a description of a slow weekend. Or were you suggesting a "Wonderful Tonight" from the 1977 album?

Enjoy your respite and have some wonderful tonights, as well, CC.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | November 12, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse