The Fix and the Fair: Of Corndogs, Cotton Candy and Candidates

ST. PAUL -- As promised, The Fix made his way to the Minnesota State Fair yesterday. And, what a time we had.

Washingtonpost.com videographer Jackie Refo came along and shot some of the sites and sounds of the fair (her video is above). The Fix also took a few pictures of his own to try to capture the flavor (literally) of the state fair (they are available after the jump).

But, without further ado, our list of the top 10 moments from the fair yesterday.

10. Watching a calf being born (on tape) in the Miracle of Birth Tent.

9. Spotting CNN celebrities Jessica Yellin and John King strolling the midway.

8. Ed O'Keefe.

7. Corndog. The key is the batter. And this corn meal batter was rich and delicious. (Side note: Corndogs are a favorite Mrs. Fix food so it made us miss her even more.)

6. The State Fair Slide.

5. Nitro Ice Cream: It's ice cream -- with a twist. Flash frozen with liquid nitrogen, it's the smoothest ice cream we've ever tasted. And we know from smooth ice cream.

4. The Sarah Palin picture hanging in the Minnesota Republican Party tent. Asked how they got such a large picture of her so quickly, one guy responded: "Kinko's. It's open 24 hours a day."

3. A t-shirt that read: "Of course it still hurts, you've been screwed by an elephant."

2. Piglets. Lots of them. (See jump for picture)

1. Cheese Curds. Hot, fried cheese. It speaks for itself.

Cheese Curds. Photo by Chris Cillizza

Piglets. Photo by Chris Cillizza

The Minnesota State Fair Ferris Wheel. Photo by Chris Cillizza

Newborn Lambs in the Miracle of Birth Center. Photo by Chris Cillizza

Spaghetti and Meatball Dinner on a Stick. Photo by Chris Cillizza

By Chris Cillizza  |  September 2, 2008; 12:02 PM ET
Categories:  Fix Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: GOP Convention Back on Track -- With Changes
Next: McCain Manager: 'This Election is Not About Issues'

Comments

Sarah Palin. Graduate with a Degree in Journalism. No Graduate Degree..
Hockey Mom, PTA member. Mayor of 8000 people. Never traveled outside the Country, Not even Canada. Got first Passport in 1997. Governor of Alaska 20 months.

John McCain barely Graduated from The Navy Academy.. Navy College, No Graduate Degree in anything.. Held captive in Vietnam could have come home, didn’t want to be a disgrace.
US Senate for 26 years..

Obama Columbia Graduate with Honors where he majored in political science with a specialization in international relations!!. Harvard Law Magna Cum Laude with a Law Degree.
Obama taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School for twelve years, as a Lecturer for four years (1992–1996), and as a Senior Lecturer for eight years (1996–2004).[24]

Illinois Senate 1996 10 years US Senate 2 years He also became Chairman of the Senate's subcommittee on European Affairs.[71] As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee,

Biden graduated from Archmere Academy in Claymont, Delaware[3] and, in 1965, from the University of Delaware in Newark,[5] where he double-majored in history and political science.[3] He went on to receive his J.D. from Syracuse University College of Law in 1968, and was admitted to the Delaware Bar in 1969

Press 1. For McCain/Palin, the hopeless, barely low educated highly pandering with no Economic and Substance ticket..

Press 2. For Scholars Obama/Biden the highly Intelligent, Economic and Foreign Policy for the People, not themselves Ticket..

I will take #2. Obama/Biden for 8 Years Alex!!

Posted by: REAL TALK.. | September 3, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

The pre-buzz on the Texas State Fair so far this year is about the Chicken-fried Bacon.

Posted by: Budikavlan | September 3, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"CC - that second picture from the top looks a lot like the Obama economic proposals."

So, I'm guessing that you enjoyed getting screwed by the elephants. Have at it, pal but I'll go with a thoughtful person with America's best interests in mind...Barack Obama!

Posted by: FastMovingCloud | September 3, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I was there on Saturday! I hope you tried the spaghetti and meatball on a stick. I had one last year, and they're actually pretty good.

That calf was being born when I was there. You missed that and Al Franken, who spoke at four on Saturday.

Make sure you hit up Minneapolis during your stay. I recommend the Leaning Tower of Pizza (either Uptown or at the university), but that's just me.

Posted by: John in Mpls | September 2, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I prefer my corndogs frozen. That way, the tips don't break off when I jam them into my cornhole.

Posted by: Sen. Larry Craig (R-ID) | September 2, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the midwest! If you get back to the fair, make sure to have a fried pickle and some corn.

Posted by: WisMom | September 2, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I am shocked and disappointed that you are not reporting on the pig licker.

Posted by: bsimon | September 2, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Glad you were able to check out the best state fair in the country!
I'm a fan of the "screwed by an elephant" t-shirt as well - although my favorite is my "Smart Ass" (smart with a pic of the donkey) from the DFL booth a few years back.

Posted by: AlishaS | September 2, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: piktor | September 2, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

hey is anyone talking about the myspace pictures of Palin's daughter drinking (possibly when pregnent)? Wow, I feel so sorry for this kid.

Posted by: cc in dc | September 2, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I missed you, was there most of the day. I was hoping to see some familiar faces but didn't.

Hope you had a chance to catch the JFK Memorabilia Showcase. Lots of neat stuff was there.

Now, the questions everyone always asks . . what is the difference between a pronto pup and a corn dog. We all know Corn dogs are Cornmeal batter, but pronto pups . . . pancake batter! Now you know.

Flash
Centristy.com

Posted by: Flash | September 2, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Another Question - Should we have a VP pick who is under ethics investigation? It seems as if that would be a Disqualifier!

If Barack was under investigation or Biden they would crucify them.

To me that seems very damming to be under investigation and a disqualifer for the V.P. job

Posted by: Angellight | September 2, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

While you enjoyed your day at the fair, the Ramsey County sheriff's department, St. Paul police, the FBI and the Secret Service were pre-emptively arresting journalists and confiscating their press passes, and detaining lawyers observing the convention and the protests around it.

Posted by: Steve Jones | September 2, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse