The Fix Live!

Earlier today we held our first official Fix chat.

If you missed it, never fear. We'll be here all week -- literally. Every Friday from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., we'll take questions from a live (online) studio audience. Bookmark the link. It'll be fun. We promise.

For those of you who weren't hip to the new schedule just yet, we've excerpted the best of the best from today's chat after the jump.

Alexandria, Va.: Chris, What's your take on New Jersey? Are the recent arrests of a number of state and local officials on corruption charges the final nail in the coffin for Gov. Corzine? Or is 4 months an eternity in politics? And how does this correlate, if at all, with President Obama's standing in the polls? Should the Rs take heart?

Thanks

Chris Cillizza: Let's start with the bread and butter....

New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine (D) was in trouble before this huge sting -- politicians AND rabbis -- last week.

He's in even more trouble now. When 40+ people are arrested in a political corruption scandal and several mayors and state Assemblyman are among the guilty, it makes people feel like all politicians are tainted.

Enter Chris Christie, the former U.S. Attorney who has based his entire campaign on his law and order credentials and outsider status.

Ultimately, this race is a referendum on Corzine and the economy -- neither of which look good at the moment. But, the sting operation is just another hurdle the incumbent will need to find a way to overcome.

Helena MT: Okay, Chris, how many Blue Dogs are in the caucus? I heard one of the conservative talk show hosts say they were going after the Blue Dogs if they don't stop health reform, and I have to say I hope GOP goes after them regardless. I might even contribute to get rid of someone like Ross from Arkansas. I just think the Democratic majority might be better off with a smaller, more unified caucus than with these conservatives whose only goal is to tick off the liberals.

Chris Cillizza: An interesting point.

In an interview yesterday with Lois Romano for the Post, Ross said he thought there were roughly 70 conservatives in the house and another 100 (or so) moderates.

There are 50 (or so) actual members of the blue dog coalition.

The truth is that Democrats 40 seat majority is large and there WIDE ideological disparities between many of its members.

As I have written though, Republicans would LOVE to have that problem.

Charlotte, NC: What is your take on the North Carolina United States Senate race? Richard Burr is not a household name according to polls but neither is North Carolina Secretary of State Elaine Marshall, his most highly touted potential competitor. If Marshall gets in the race, would Kenneth Lewis and former State Senator Cal Cunningham (if he decides to run) present credible challenges to Marshall in a primary?

Chris Cillizza: North Carolina is a hard one to figure.

On the one hand, national Democrats believe that Burr is vulnerable due to a combination of the state's changing demographics and the fact that he hasn't made much of an impression on the state's voters in his first five years in office.

On the other, NO ONE seems to want to run against him. Roy Cooper, Heath Shuler, Bobby Etheridge and Mike McIntyre have all taken passes.

Could Marshall give Burr a real race? Sure. But remember that she came in a distant third in a Democratic primary when she ran for Senate earlier this decade....not exactly a strong showing to build on.

NW D.C.: Hi Chris -- On a lighter note regarding the beer meeting at the White House yesterday, I noted that the two guys who live here knew enough to take off their jackets and roll up their sleeves given our typically awful weather. Gates and Crowley looked kind of funny all buttoned up.

Chris Cillizza: Very good call. I noticed that too.

My calculation in the summer in DC: walk more than three blocks and sweat profusely.

The idea of sitting outside in that swelter last night made ME sweat.

By Chris Cillizza  |  July 31, 2009; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  Fix Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday House Line: Democrats' Firewall
Next: "The Battle for America 2008"

Comments

I haven't seen him post the same off-topic comment on three threads, as you do.

Posted by: nodebris | August 3, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

nodebris:

When are you going to chastise "chrisfox8" for his OFF TOPIC posts?

Posted by: JakeD | August 1, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Ayuh.

==

That's a Hong Kong expression

Posted by: chrisfox8 | August 1, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

@scrivener - It's an X-K-Red-27 technique.

BB

P.S. Bonus points to anyone who knows the source.

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | August 1, 2009 3:38 AM | Report abuse

Ayuh. That should have been when presented with a detailed response, you ignored it. I can't think of a single time, dbw, that you have engaged someone from the other side of the aisle. So, this is my last word on it as it's wasted breath.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | August 1, 2009 3:17 AM | Report abuse

@dbw1 - I noticed that you posted a comment about libs on the health care thread and when given a detailed, considered response. You may consider yourself different, but as far as I'm concerned, you're just another bomb thrower.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | August 1, 2009 3:13 AM | Report abuse

I've noticed a trend with drindl and chrisfox8 that they start name-calling early and often, usually as soon as they know you disagree with them about something.

They apparantly have learned well from the Democrat stategy that says don't bother addressing any issues or questions brought up, just attack and attempt to smear and discredit the person.

That's what liberals do when they don't have sufficient arguments to offer.

==

When you get into this steeple-fingered pedantic frame of mind don't you ever feel, well, just a little full of yourself?

Posted by: chrisfox8 | August 1, 2009 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Oh pish and tush, that isn't civility.

When you make light-hearted banter over issues that people are passionate enough about to get mad at strangers, you don't have civility, you have passive-aggression.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | August 1, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

The Fix asked posters to be civil AND not to go off topic. Posting the same comment on three posts is therefore very discourteous and diminishes a defense based on civility alone.

Posted by: nodebris | August 1, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Chris C.:

By all means, post a "fix" next week on the question that ended today's chat, that being which state has the pair of Senators who are most idealogically opposed to each other.

I will formally submit my Senators:
- Republican George "I used to be a conservative" Voinovich, and
- Democrat Sherrod "1 term if we're lucky" Brown.

Posted by: dbw1 | July 31, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

JakeD:

That's what liberals do when they don't have sufficient arguments to offer.

Posted by: dbw1 | July 31, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

There are plenty of threads here that die a natural death -- without so much as a single post from me -- that doesn't stop "chrisfox8" from bringing my name up and insulting me even on those threads:

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

You might notice, Chris, that after a while nobody bothers to post in a thread once JakeD starts to fill it up with posts about himself.

Is this what you wanted when you became a blogger?

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 31, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

scrivener50:

Join the club -- Mr. Cillizza didn't answer all of my questions either -- BTW: I am not working together with "chrisfox8" or anyone else to prevent your posts from appearing.

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Chris,

My question wasn't answered. So here's another: How many questions were left unanswered? And how about answering them here?

Curious to see if mine ever got through the "filter" (and I don't mean Wa-Po)...

Posted by: scrivener50 | July 31, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I think it's legitimate to ask why the FOREIGN press only reports these events as a big deal anymore?

If the events in this article had transpired on George W. Bush’s watch, libs would be calling for his impeachment. “Quagmire” would appear in every other article in the MSM, along with “the war is lost” and Dingy Harry's favorite ad hominem “loser”.

But with Bam-Bam the community organizer, no such foaming at the mouth.

Why do you suppose that is? It's a simple question.

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

P.S. it's only "off topic" here because (of course) Mr. Cillizza declined to select my question to answer today ; )

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I realize this is "off topic" but that's because the MSM (including WaPo) has curiously stopped reporting on U.S. military deaths overseas -- why is that, I wonder -- imagine if this had happened on Bush's watch:

The death today in southern Afghanistan brought to 40 the number of U.S. troops killed in July, by far the heaviest monthly toll in the entire 8-year-old war. The worst previous month for U.S. forces was in September 2008, when 26 were killed.

Posted by: JakeD | July 31, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse